News Ticker

nott theodore

nott theodore

nott theodore | Sian

Hello, hello, and welcome to my writer's journal!  I have blankets and cushions and plenty of tea, plus cake and chocolate for visitors.  Won't you stay a while? ^_^

I go by the pen name nott theodore, but you can call me Sian (or whatever you like, really.  I answer to most things).  My author's page on HPFT can be found here and my HPFF page is here (though this isn't as up-to-date as my HPFT page).  

On my AP you'll find a lot of angst, heartbreak, and minor characters.  The stories are more fun than they sound, honestly (they're fun to write, at least).  

Aside from that, I love writing next generation stories.  I have a completed novel, Jigsaw, focusing on Roxanne Weasley.  I also have a lot of next generation head canon, and most of the more recent one-shots I've written (or am working on) all fit together as part of the same universe (the Jigsaw-verse?).   As far as my current projects go, I'm working on a new novel called Babel Towers, which follows Hugo Weasley as he attends a magical language academy.  I wrote about 20k of it for Camp NaNo this year and will hopefully get round to posting some of it soon.  Babel Towers comes after Jigsaw in chronology but it's not a direct sequel - there is a plot for a Jigsaw sequel (as yet untitled) simmering in my mind, though, so Roxy might be back at some point.

And that's probably more than enough about myself :$ if you've got any questions, fire away (not literally, of course - I know someone who does a pretty good Shield Charm, just in case you were thinking about it)!  Don't forget to help yourself to some tea and biscuits while you're here! ^_^

Hi, Sian. What a coincidence! I've thought of responding to your thoughtful reviews at "A Prayer", your words "a little bit more background on the relationship between Salazar and Rowena " is really helpful.

So,

1. Please enlighten me how to build up the relationship betwenn character A and B? For an example, Daniel and Roxanne.

2. I'm really impressed by your mystery "Jigwaw" (sorry, my hectic RL and reading speed is so slow, I need to finish reading the story ASAP.) Where did you get the plot from the start?

3. I still remember the mood, a brief image of the detailed descriptions around Roxanne's office in the first chapter (s) at Jigsaw. Where did you get the hints about them? 

4. When you write a story, what do you do at first?

5. Which is your preferable time for writing,  in the mornig or in the evening (or lunch time betwenn works) ? 

Edited by Tanda

hey sian! Thank you for the lovely questions on my WJ!!
(I'll answer them soon, I'm just about to do my nightly workout - so squats and situps first, writing later haha!) 
In return I'm here with a couple of questions for you as well! 

1. One of my biggest fears with next gen is characterisation. No one can really call a next-gen character OOC but sometimes I feel like there's already set headcanons and personalities in place for the next gen group. Do you feel that too, or do you just do your own thing? How do you characterise next gen characters? 

2. If there was one character from any other fandom you could put into the HP verse, which one would it be? 

3. what inspires you to write? 

4. what's your favourite thing about the HP-verse that makes you write it? 

5. You can bring one character who died at the Battle of Hogwarts back from the dead, which one do you bring and why? 

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Sian! We've met briefly or kind of when we were talking about Camp NanoWriMo and such! I thought I'd stop by and ask you some questions! :)  Also hooray for chocolate! xD

1. What's your favorite genre to write and why? 

2. What type of chocolate do you think Hugo and Roxanne would go for? (This is a question pertaining to them as they are your mains in your works: Jigsaw and Babel Tower respectively)

3. What fanfiction, original fiction, and or original work would you recommend your new readers to read and why? 

4. So you mentioned that on your author's page that we would find alot of angst? Does that mean you love to write alot of anst? If so, why? 

5.  What's one magical object from the Wizarding World that you wished existed in real life?

Hello Sian!

It's DarkRose from the HPFF forums, back (slash, "here on HPFT") at last! How have you been?

I'm going to join the growing queue of people with questions for you, if you don't mind! Here we go:

1. What's your favorite thing about writing Next Gen as opposed to other eras?
  2. What is your favorite inclusive topic to include in your writing, and why?
  3. In creating your own universe, do you assign yourself any rules to abide by, or is anything game? How do you keep track of all of the details that you spell out so that nothing gets lost or confused? Does it bother you if there are inconsistencies down the road?
  4. What do you look for in a challenge to participate in? Do you choose ones that have you write something you're familiar with, or do you like pushing beyond your comfort zone?
  5. How do you write such amazing, concise summaries? (Teach me your wayyyyys.)

I think that's it for now! Thank you for answering when you find the time!

Best,
Emily

• 3 months later...

Argh, I'm absolutely terrible.  I'm so, so sorry for taking a ridiculously unacceptable amount of time to answer all of these questions.  Not having a laptop for two months stopped me from really getting anything done, and I've been catching up since I got my new one.  Anyway, I'm finally here with answers and thank you all so much for stopping by with these lovely questions! :wub: :hug: 

Kenny!  Thank you for these questions :)

1. Please enlighten me how to build up the relationship betwenn character A and B? For an example, Daniel and Roxanne.

I don't think I'm really the best person to ask this question, because I try and avoid writing romance and romantic relationships like the plague, but I think that I just try and take inspiration from real life and make the relationships between two characters realistic.  I get frustrated with romantic relationships that seem "perfect" and I always think that there needs to be sources of conflict.  With Daniel and Roxanne, without giving too much of the plot away, I mostly tried to imagine the back story between them.  Not all of that makes it into the novel, but a couple has to have a history, and that was important for me to include in trying to make it realistic, if that makes sense.

2. I'm really impressed by your mystery "Jigwaw" (sorry, my hectic RL and reading speed is so slow, I need to finish reading the story ASAP.) Where did you get the plot from the start?

It's a while ago now, but I think it was a combination of things that gave me the plot for this - I wanted to try and write a next-gen novel about one of the lesser written characters, and once I'd settled on Roxy the plot sort of followed from there.  I have a lot of head canon for the next generation kids - most has developed since/from writing Jigsaw - but one of my main bugbears in next gen stories is when all of the characters step easily into successful jobs right out of school.  That's really not the case in real life (at least, in my experience!) and I think I wanted to reflect that in Roxy's story too, which is where the beginning of the novel and the idea for her working as a journalist and stumbling onto something bigger came from.

3. I still remember the mood, a brief image of the detailed descriptions around Roxanne's office in the first chapter (s) at Jigsaw. Where did you get the hints about them? 

When I write, I often picture the scene itself in my mind, and I just tried to write that in the opening chapter; I was probably being a little self-indulgent with my descriptions of the ink and paper and everything, but it was fun to imagine a busy, old-fashioned (in the respect that they're not all using laptops and computers) newspaper offices and go from there.

4. When you write a story, what do you do at first?

It really depends on the story - with a one-shot, I tend to write through from beginning to end unless it's told in non-chronological order.  When it comes to longer stories, like Jigsaw, I often have certain scenes in my head already before I start writing it.  There's a scene in Jigsaw - it ended up as chapter 25, I think - which I wrote before anything else.  I rewrote it slightly when I finally got round to writing that chapter, but it was mostly the same scene that I'd had in my head for a while.  When I have scenes in my head like that (and there were quite a few for Jigsaw), I always get excited to write those specific chapters and often write them first.

5. Which is your preferable time for writing,  in the mornig or in the evening (or lunch time betwenn works) ? 

Again, given how little I've actually written in the last couple of years, I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask this :P when I was writing Jigsaw I was still at university, so writing was often squeezed in at random times of the day when I had free hours.  Now, I tend to try and write in the evenings after work, or sometimes I take myself off to a cafe on my lunch break and try and write then.

Hi Bex!  Thank you for your lovely questions :)

1. One of my biggest fears with next gen is characterisation. No one can really call a next-gen character OOC but sometimes I feel like there's already set headcanons and personalities in place for the next gen group. Do you feel that too, or do you just do your own thing? How do you characterise next gen characters? 

I think that if there are set characterisations for next gen characters, it's probably just due to the popularity of the stories that have been written where they're characterised a certain way - James as a playboy, Albus as the quiet one, Scorpius and Rose as a modern day Romeo and Juliet, for example.  And there's nothing wrong with those characterisations (I've read some brilliant stories with those characters) but I think there's a lot of freedom to explore with the next generation.  I have a lot of headcanons myself for the characters, but I always enjoy reading other versions, too, as long as they're believable characters and they have motives for what they do and so on.  With my own next gen characters, there are some I definitely haven't explored as much as others, but I find that they have a tendency to surprise me when I write about them.  I have ideas about their jobs/personalities/relationships and so on, but normally when they interact with each other I find they grow more and I learn new things about them (I realise that probably makes me sound very strange :P).

2. If there was one character from any other fandom you could put into the HP verse, which one would it be? 

Ooh that's a good question!  I haven't been very into other fandoms for a while, but looking back at what I read last year, I think I'd have to say Simon from Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda, because he's a Potterhead himself and I feel like he'd really appreciate the chance to meet the characters.  Only if a certain other character from the book could go with him, though ;)

3. what inspires you to write? 

All sorts of things!  Sometimes a line from a poem, a lyric from a song, or more often just a "what if...?" scenario.  There are some great challenges here that I like using as springboards, too.

4. what's your favourite thing about the HP-verse that makes you write it? 

I think the reason I write HP fic and I haven't written any other is that I know it so well.  It's been part of my life since I was seven, and discovering the fandom and the fic community has been wonderful, because people here just get my obsession with it (I'm totally normal, ahem).  It's great to explore because there's so many characters and so much possibility, and the feedback you get has helped spur me on to write more than my earlier attempts at OF did.

5. You can bring one character who died at the Battle of Hogwarts back from the dead, which one do you bring and why? 

This is such a difficult question!  I'm really torn between a bunch of characters here, but I'm going to say Fred - because I think the whole of the next generation missed out on a brilliant uncle with his death, and it still destroys me to think of how heartbroken George was at his death.

B!  Hello :wub:

1. Do you have a particular song you associate with some of your characters? Roxy and Hugo in particular?

Ooh that's a good question!  I don't think there's one particular song - there are a couple of different ones which come to mind for Roxy at different points in her story, but I don't have any for Hugo at the moment.  I often write to a playlist that I can kind of concentrate with/ignore rather than connecting it to a particular character.

2. Would you rather spend one night in the Forbidden Forest, or one night in Azkaban?

The Forbidden Forest.  Definitely.  I would far rather learn how to climb trees and try and escape the centaurs or befriend Grawp than spend time in Azkaban.  Unless the Dementors aren't there any more, in which case I take a night in Azkaban :P

3. If you could ask Emilia from Othello one question, what would it be?

SO MANY QUESTIONS.  She's such an amazing character.  I think the one that I'd ask her if she could answer truthfully is "did you actually love Iago?".  She does so much for him in the play, but at the same time it's what a wife was expected to do for her husband at that point in history, so I'd love to get the gossip on their relationship.

4. Did you ever put on your dressing gown and run around the house like it was a Hogwarts robe?

Why would I do that?  I'm a perfectly normal, responsible young adult, thank you very much :P  Nah, just kidding - of course I did!  I'm pretty sure I've run around the house with all sorts of props pretending that I was at Hogwarts.  And of course, we had gowns at university, so... 

Hi Dani!  Thank you for stopping by!

1. What's your favorite genre to write and why? 

Angst.  Pretty much everything I write has some angst in it :P  I think it's easier to evoke those emotions than it is romance - which is weird, because in real life I much prefer trying to focus on the positive emotions than the pain and suffering.  Maybe it's secretly cathartic?

2. What type of chocolate do you think Hugo and Roxanne would go for? (This is a question pertaining to them as they are your mains in your works: Jigsaw and Babel Tower respectively)

This is a fantastic question.  And also good that I have a large supply of Christmas chocolate at hand while I answer :P  I think Roxy would like different flavoured chocolates - orange and chilli and that sort of thing - and Hugo, well, I think he'd probably favour white chocolate for some reason.  Don't ask me why!

3. What fanfiction, original fiction, and or original work would you recommend your new readers to read and why? 

Well, if we're talking about recommending my own stories, I've only published fanfiction online... of those, I'd probably say The Story of YouThis Treasure and Jigsaw are my favourites - at least from the stories I've written more recently.  But for something lighter, probably The Binchester Affair?  

4. So you mentioned that on your author's page that we would find alot of angst? Does that mean you love to write alot of anst? If so, why? 

Kind of similar to it being my favourite genre to write - I think that it's easier to communicate the emotions, and that it lends itself to more imaginative imagery than romance.  At least for me - there are some amazing writers who can describe things beautifully in happier stories, it's just not one of my fortes.

5.  What's one magical object from the Wizarding World that you wished existed in real life?

This is a difficult question!  I think that - avoiding wands, because if I'm a Muggle they wouldn't be much good to me - I'd say the two-way mirror for communication.  Though I guess they're kind of like our mobile phones, so that's not the most helpful.  Otherwise, an Invisibility Cloak.  I'd love to creep around places unseen :P

Emily!  It's so good to see you around again! :hug:

1. What's your favorite thing about writing Next Gen as opposed to other eras?

I think it's the freedom that there is when writing Next Gen characters - we have the foundation, but the main characters can't be truly OOC and there's room to develop and grow the HP world from what we see in the books in the time that's passed.  I also like exploring the next gen characters as adults, because while they're technically all younger than me, I guess I find them easier to relate to in that I can write them at a similar age to my own, and neither of us have lived through a war in the same way as the book generation did (at least, not in my universe).

2. What is your favorite inclusive topic to include in your writing, and why?

If you're talking about the topics that fall under the inclusivity tags on the archives, then I do try my best to include different ones in my stories because I think it's really important to have more diverse fiction, and it helps me as a person to learn about different topics that I'm writing about.  But I think the one I'm most likely to include and find easiest to write about are those falling under the mental illness tags, purely because I have more personal experience with those topics and am a huge advocate for talking about mental health.  I guess I don't worry as much that I've written something wrong when I'm writing about those, too?

3. In creating your own universe, do you assign yourself any rules to abide by, or is anything game? How do you keep track of all of the details that you spell out so that nothing gets lost or confused? Does it bother you if there are inconsistencies down the road?

It does bother me if there are inconsistencies, but I am also terrible at planning.  There are some people who have huge universes that are so detailed and consisted (like Branwen/Beeezie's next gen universe) and I'm always so amazed by it.  I do try and plan, but I often get bored and give up halfway through to start writing :P With the next gen universe, I mostly try and keep things as recognisable as possible to the world that we know, but I do enjoy advancing things and developing new products/technologies that I think would have been introduced in the thirty years from the end of the books.

4. What do you look for in a challenge to participate in? Do you choose ones that have you write something you're familiar with, or do you like pushing beyond your comfort zone?

It's really a combination of both, I think.  There are some stories that I've written which are really far outside my comfort zone, and some challenges I enter as a challenge to myself (like the Totally Constraining Challenge, which I'm still hoping to write eventually, even though the deadline's passed).  Mostly it's challenges that I can come up with an idea for, and have the inspiration to write.

5. How do you write such amazing, concise summaries? (Teach me your wayyyyys.)

This is really sweet!  But also kind of funny, because I hate, hate, hate writing summaries.  I'm normally messaging someone when I post a story and realise that I don't have a title or a summary for it and I'm begging desperately for help :P mostly I take a line from the story, or just try and come up with something concise enough that gives a hint about the story but describe the whole plot?  I don't know.  I'm often really jealous of other people's amazing summaries, so it makes me laugh that you think mine are good (thank you!) 

Thank you all so, so much for these wonderful questions - and I'm sorry I took so long to answer them!  I really appreciate each one! :wub:  :hug: 

Edited by nott theodore

• 1 year later...

:ninjavanish:  since you've been such an amazing part of the finale and i saw on twitter that WJ posts inspire you, i thought i'd stop by so instead of terrorising you with 0/3 and similar posts, i might post something worthwhile :P

besides a lot of your other stories, recently i've read 'rush of blood' and i was just like ??? it's such a beautifully wonderful story and i'm really curious as to what inspired you to write it (besides the great collab challenge), how did you choose the pairing and like.... how are you so creative?

'and again' is one of my favourite stories on the archives - i headcanon dominique as being bisexual as well so i enjoy reading other people's interpretations of that headcanon - what drew you to write about dominique? is there a particular reason you hc her as being bi (besides the statistical probability that some next gen kids most definitely would be bi :P )? i also loved your take on the theme of coming out because it's so true, the way you have to almost constantly and forever explain who you are :I

'the art of confidence' is your newest fic and i've read the first chapter...it's a mystery fake dating fic and the way you introduced us to the characters, lysander and emmy, with emmy sort of being thrown into the fire unknowingly, has made for a great first chapter - it's not the usual interpretation of the fake dating trope and i'm dying to know what inspired you to turn fake dating into 'let's fake date as an alibi for a shady crime one of us might've or might not have comitted'. i already loved the banter and obvious chemistry between them so i can't wait to find a bit of time to read the second chapter ^_^

• Like 3

Hi Sian! Thank you for the lovely questions on my journal! I look forward to answering them!

1.       Is there a favorite era you enjoy writing? Why? And on the flip side, what era do you hate writing? And why?

2.       What inspired your fake dating fic? It’s an unusual interpretation of the fake dating trope (not to say that it’s bad though), and I do hope to read the second chapter soon! Also, what inspired the characterization of Lysander and Emmy?

3.       Is there something that you’re afraid of writing? Like anything you think that you might be bad at, or something you’re afraid of being judged for?

4.       Is there a genre you hate writing? Why?

5.       Is there a character that you’d read any story for if they were in it, even if you hated the concept of the story? If so, what makes you fond of them?

6.       How do you write mystery novels? I personally find it really hard to write something with sustained suspense and keep my readers on their toes (I find that I’m not smart enough to read mystery novels, let alone figure something out that would keep my readers entertained).

7.       Do you find that there’s something you put into any story that you write, no matter what it is? Like a theme, a trope, a detail, etc.

Edited by sunshine_locks

@grumpy cat These questions were such a nice surprise, thank you for stopping by!

besides a lot of your other stories, recently i've read 'rush of blood' and i was just like ??? it's such a beautifully wonderful story and i'm really curious as to what inspired you to write it (besides the great collab challenge), how did you choose the pairing and like.... how are you so creative?

*blushes* honestly, that story kind of came from nowhere because I was struggling to write something for the collab, and the story I had been working on just wasn't going anywhere.  I've been so surprised by the response to it, not to mention the fact that it came first for that round :wub:  When I realised the story I was trying to write wouldn't be finished in time, I thought about vampires (since that was one of the challenge themes we were given) and decided to write about the one vampire who appears in the books, Sanguini.  Originally I thought that the story was going to be about Eldred using Sanguini and pretending to be his friend for the purposes of the book, but apparently neither of them wanted to be written that way.  Sanguini's back story was my favourite thing to write - it just kind of span from nowhere but was so fun to research for!

'and again' is one of my favourite stories on the archives - i headcanon dominique as being bisexual as well so i enjoy reading other people's interpretations of that headcanon - what drew you to write about dominique? is there a particular reason you hc her as being bi (besides the statistical probability that some next gen kids most definitely would be bi :P )? i also loved your take on the theme of coming out because it's so true, the way you have to almost constantly and forever explain who you are :I

Oh my goodness, that's such a compliment, thank you! :hug: I've headcanoned Dominique as bi for as long as I can remember - and she appears quite a lot in my novel, Jigsaw, and I grew to really love her character, even though there's not much about that aspect of her life in the novel.  So when the challenge came along, I thought she'd be great to write about since I wanted to spend more time in the Jigsaw universe, but her story was kind of living in my head for a while.  Hugo's gay in my head canon, too, and when I've written about him (in the multiple versions of Babel Towers which are yet to see the light of day), coming out to his family was always easier because Dom had paved the way for him, so to speak. The Coming Out challenge just seemed like a perfect opportunity to finally explore Dom's story, although I have to say that I couldn't have done it without @poppunkpadfoot putting up with my panicking!)

'the art of confidence' is your newest fic and i've read the first chapter...it's a mystery fake dating fic and the way you introduced us to the characters, lysander and emmy, with emmy sort of being thrown into the fire unknowingly, has made for a great first chapter - it's not the usual interpretation of the fake dating trope and i'm dying to know what inspired you to turn fake dating into 'let's fake date as an alibi for a shady crime one of us might've or might not have comitted'. i already loved the banter and obvious chemistry between them so i can't wait to find a bit of time to read the second chapter ^_^

This story is so far out of my comfort zone, so the fact people have enjoyed the first chapter so far has been amazing and encouraging :wub:  Obviously the fake-dating part of the story came from Taylor's challenge, but I think I was just sat there thinking about pushing myself out of my comfort zone and writing something about it and then the plot for TAoC came into my head.  If you haven't noticed from my author's page already, I'm not big on writing romance or fluff, and both of them terrify me slightly :P So I guess the mystery element is a way for me to write something that's more in my comfort zone by adding another layer to the story that I'm more familiar with?  And trying to make the fake-dating trope (which I love reading but would struggle to write in the normal format) my own.  Whether or not it's going to work or not, only time will tell... :couch:

@sunshine_locks Thank you so much for stopping by with these lovely questions! :hug: 

1. Is there a favorite era you enjoy writing? Why? And on the flip side, what era do you hate writing? And why?

Next generation, without a doubt - probably because I have a whole universe for it built up in my head that's been living there (in various stages) for over six years now, so I feel like I know the characters very well.  There's also a lot of freedom in interpreting them, because (I'm discounting Cursed Child here) we don't have much canon information about them.  I don't think that I hate writing any era, but writing major canon characters would definitely be more difficult, and I've not really been paying much attention to Fantastic Beasts so I wouldn't be able to write anything that's canon-compliant there.

2. What inspired your fake dating fic? It’s an unusual interpretation of the fake dating trope (not to say that it’s bad though), and I do hope to read the second chapter soon! Also, what inspired the characterization of Lysander and Emmy?

I've kind of said this in my response to Kris, but I wanted to get away from the more obvious interpretations of the trope and add my own spin to it... so naturally that meant adding some danger and mystery :P I don't know that any one thing/person inspired the characters of Emmy and Lysander, but I had the overarching plot for the story planned out before I chose which characters I was going to use, so that influenced my portrayals of them.  They're both characters with flexible moral compasses, which has been fun to write so far!

3. Is there something that you’re afraid of writing? Like anything you think that you might be bad at, or something you’re afraid of being judged for?

It's not that I'm afraid of writing it per se, but I always try to be conscious about being culturally sensitive when I write characters whose experiences are far outside my own.  That might sound slightly silly since I'm writing fic set in a magical world, but I mean more things like writing PoC or LGBTQA+ characters - I'm always trying to educate myself more on experiences like this but I tend to try and get second opinions/advice if this experience is one of the central themes to the story.  I'd much rather not write or post a story at all than try and claim that I'm a fan of diverse representation but absolutely butcher the portrayals.

4. Is there a genre you hate writing?

Why?Romance :P it almost always turns angsty or takes paths it wasn't supposed to.  I think I'm much better at angst and mystery, so I suppose TAoC will at least challenge me in that respect. 

5. Is there a character that you’d read any story for if they were in it, even if you hated the concept of the story? If so, what makes you fond of them?

I guess I have a soft spot for the Potter boys and I do enjoy reading different portrayals of them - but I actually think that the concept behind the story is much more important.  I don't like stories that rely on poor characterisation, or that glorify manipulative/abusive behaviour, or toxic friendships... I think as I get older I've started holding characters (and I guess writers) to a higher standard and some of the things that I wouldn't have minded as much (or even noticed) when I was younger really frustrate me now.

6. How do you write mystery novels? I personally find it really hard to write something with sustained suspense and keep my readers on their toes (I find that I’m not smart enough to read mystery novels, let alone figure something out that would keep my readers entertained).

I feel like I'm a bad person to ask about this because the most important thing with writing a mystery novel is careful planning and I'm really bad at planning because I'm far too lazy to do it.  But what I learnt from writing Jigsaw is that you've got to reveal information at the right pace, so that readers know enough to keep guessing what's going to happen.  I think it's also important to have red herrings and different clues so that the reader can actually guess, even if those clues are quite subtle and vague.  In one chapter of Jigsaw, there's actually a scene where someone tells a story that's basically exactly the same circumstances as one of the big reveals later on in the novel... I put it in because it was fun to write but nobody's actually noticed it and guessed when they read the earlier chapter so far :P 

7. Do you find that there’s something you put into any story that you write, no matter what it is? Like a theme, a trope, a detail, etc.

Increasingly, one of the themes that always appears in my writing is mental illness - mainly anxiety and depression because those are the ones I have most experience with.  Mental health advocacy is so important to me, and it's so prevalent in society even if we don't talk about it as much as we need to do - so most of my stories usually have at least one character struggling with mental illness, even if it's not the main character.  I like to think that's pretty true to the real world, anyway.

Thank you so much for these questions, I had a lot of fun answering them! :hug: 

• Like 2

Hey you!

i am here to leave you some questions lovely!

1. Do you like to read romance fan fics? If so do you have a Ship you enjoy most to read? 

2. You’ve written a lot of one shot stories, do you prefer those to multi chapter stories or vice versa? Why?

3. You have a lot of Original Characters, what is it about original characters that you enjoy? 

4. Tell me about your newest story that you are working on! What do you like about it? Are you coming into any challenges with it? Any sneak peaks I can find out about? 

5. With your new story The Art Of Confidence, why did you choose Lysander of the twins?

6. Tell me more about Emmy! I love the back stories for characters!

• Like 1

Sian! I'm so excited to swap WJ questions with you :D I adore your writing, and it's great to get to peek into your brain (and I've loved all of your answers to questions other have asked).

1. I feel like some authors have That One Project that they really want to write but don't feel ready to write yet, for whatever reason. (Or maybe it's just me, haha). Do you have a project like that?
  2. One trend I've noticed about your writing is that you embrace morally grey characters. Where do you find inspiration for your characters, and how do you go about developing them? How do you learn about them?
  3. Are you a planner/plantser/panster? (Do you outline/how detailed are your outlines, if you do outline?)
  4. What part of The Art of Confidence is most intimidating to you/do you dread writing the most? Which parts are you most excited to write? (I understand if you can't answer these questions, due to spoiler-ness hehe).
  5. Of all of your original characters, who would you want to be friends with most, if they existed in real life?
  6. If there is any one thing that you'd want to magically get better at in your writing, what would it be?
  7. What's your favorite work of Shakespeare? And what is your favorite non-Shakespearean play?

I'm super excited to read your answers to these questions, and thank you for inviting me to your journal! ❤️

• Like 1

i'm going to randomly slide in to say that if the answer to @sibilant's favourite shakespeare question isn't macbeth, i'm rioting 😂

• Haha 2

@Lacey Black thank you for stopping by!

1. Do you like to read romance fan fics? If so do you have a Ship you enjoy most to read? 

I do like reading romance fics - more than I tend to read romance novels in real life, actually.  I don't have a favourite ship to read about, though I love Jily, most next gen ships and Tedromeda is disappointingly underwritten! 

2. You’ve written a lot of one shot stories, do you prefer those to multi chapter stories or vice versa? Why?

I think I prefer writing one-shots to multi-chapter stories, not necessarily reading them.  The real answer is probably because I'm lazy and lack commitment/I have a short attention span :P Because of that I'm probably wary about starting to post longer stories because I don't want to miss out on updating them and lose my inspiration, and one-shots are much easier for that.  So there's a lot of multi-chaptered stories that I've written but never posted on the archives because they're not completed.  I do have some more multi-chaptered stories in the works, though, if I can make enough progress on them!

3. You have a lot of Original Characters, what is it about original characters that you enjoy? 

I think I've started writing more original characters recently than I used to.  I suppose it's an extension of the reason that I write a lot of next gen characters - because I have much more freedom with their characterisation than major canon characters, which expands the amount of situations and scenarios I can imagine them in. 

4. Tell me about your newest story that you are working on! What do you like about it? Are you coming into any challenges with it? Any sneak peaks I can find out about? 

Short summary: TAoC is a mystery fake-dating fic with slightly higher stakes than your average fake-dating fic :P The whole story is a challenge, to be honest!  I love Emmy already, but writing romance (and fake-dating) is something I've never really felt like I can do well and I'm not that comfortable with it, so when I really get to those parts of the story it's going to be tough to write.  As for sneak peeks, all I can say is that there should be lots of fun characters, plenty of awkwardness, and a healthy dose of mystery.

5. With your new story The Art Of Confidence, why did you choose Lysander of the twins?

Well, the only real reason I have is because Lorcan is gay and in a long-term, loving relationship :P he definitely wouldn't have worked with Emmy, but they are best friends (and you'll see him in the story soon)!

6. Tell me more about Emmy! I love the back stories for characters!

I can't tell you too much about Emmy without giving some of the story away, but she is sarcastic, likes to swear, is very organised and intelligent, and she's the sort of person you wouldn't want to cross, even if you don't realise that at first.

@sibilant I feel like my brain is probably a very strange and slightly terrifying place to peek into, but I'm glad you've come to ask it more questions anyway!

1. I feel like some authors have That One Project that they really want to write but don't feel ready to write yet, for whatever reason. (Or maybe it's just me, haha). Do you have a project like that?

I have so many of these!  There are some projects and ideas that I would love to write because I think they're great ideas but I don't think I'll ever be ready to write them, because I'm not the best person to do so since they're so outside of my own experiences (maybe I should offer these up to writers who could work with them but they're also kind of my babies haha).  For fic, though, I've wanted to write a Jigsaw sequel for the best part of three years, since not long after I finished the first novel.  I'm partly not ready to write it yet because the plot and characters need a lot more developing and fine-tuning, but I also have about two novel/las that I want to write in the Jigsaw universe before the sequel is set, so until they're out the way I feel like I can't really work on that :couch: 

2. One trend I've noticed about your writing is that you embrace morally grey characters. Where do you find inspiration for your characters, and how do you go about developing them? How do you learn about them?

I was going to say that I hadn't noticed that and then I remembered one of the OF novels I started working on a while ago and you're definitely right :P Morally grey characters are a lot of fun to write, which I think is part of it - the decisions that they make can be more varied and less predictable, but I think it's also easier to put them into more interesting and different situations because of that - they're more likely to land themselves in those scenarios than some other characters.  I think my inspiration for them comes from all over - snippets of characters or books that I've read, stories that I've heard in real life, things that I've researched... I'm definitely not as morally grey as the majority of these characters (and I'm a goody-two-shoes to an annoying extent) so a lot of the time the development comes from writing them in different scenes and getting to grips with the character that way.  It's very rare that the first scene I picture them in actually makes it into the story, though it has happened a couple of times!

3. Are you a planner/plantser/panster? (Do you outline/how detailed are your outlines, if you do outline?)

I'm going to go with plantser, even though that makes me sound like someone who's good at gardening, which I'm decidedly not :P I try and outline, and I usually have the overarching plot in my head before I start writing, but I'm also really impatient to get writing when I have an idea.  For Jigsaw, the most I outlined was 3 lines per chapter, and I think there were 2 or 3 chapters that I didn't even have an outline for but just wrote when I sat down to work on the story.  Is that more of a pantser than a plantster?  Either way, don't ask me to come up with a lot of detail before I start writing.  There are reasons I'm not in Ravenclaw!

4. What part of The Art of Confidence is most intimidating to you/do you dread writing the most? Which parts are you most excited to write? (I understand if you can't answer these questions, due to spoiler-ness hehe).

The part that's most intimidating is the whole fake-dating part of the story, which I know is stupid because that's the premise of the whole novel, but romance is hard and very much out of my comfort zone.  I'm most excited to develop the mystery some more, but also just some fun scenes between characters - without giving away too much, meeting the rest of the "group" that's mentioned in the first chapters, and introductions to the families.

5. Of all of your original characters, who would you want to be friends with most, if they existed in real life?

This is so difficult!  Most of the next generation cast are very vivid in my mind, but I'm going to say Jane Lynn from Jigsaw, Roxy's best friend.  I think we'd have a laugh together and we could definitely bond over the difficulties of early adulthood!  When I eventually get round to the Jigsaw sequel, I'm looking forward to writing more of her and showing her progression in the time since the first novel ended.

6. If there is any one thing that you'd want to magically get better at in your writing, what would it be?

Ironically, there's two things, and the first is concision :P I feel like I ramble a lot, especially in stories.  Jigsaw is a ridiculous length and part of that, looking back, is because I imagined that world in so much detail in my mind that I really struggled not to commit that detail to paper and paint the picture vividly, which made for some truly monster chapters.  The other is romance.  The first fic that I ever wrote was actually a romance fic, but since then I've kind of swerved away from it and I'm slowly (and nervously) dipping my toe back in those waters, I guess.

7. What's your favorite work of Shakespeare? And what is your favorite non-Shakespearean play?

( @grumpy cat you're going to hate me, you really are, but I have REASONS for those guesses and they make a LOT OF SENSE, okay???)

My favourite Shakespearean play is Much Ado About Nothing, which is actually the first play that I read in full (rather than a kid's version) and studied.  I was lucky enough to see it performed at The Globe a couple of years ago and I've loved most of the adaptations that I've seen.  It's closely followed by Othello because I love the complexity of some of the characters in that story (especially Emilia, who has to be one of my favourite characters of all time).  My favourite non-Shakespearean play is probably a bit obscure, especially outside the UK, but it's a recent one called The Wipers' Times by Ian Hislop and Nick Newman.  It's based on a real story that took place during WW1, when some British officers discovered a printing press in a bombed-out building and decided they were going to make their own newspaper to boost morale - one that told the truth instead of the propaganda that was being peddled back on the Home Front.  It was called The Wipers' Times because it was based in Ypres, which naturally the British troops butchered the pronunciation of, and it was really satirical.  The play's very original in the way that it portrays different events and uses the actual articles from the original newspaper in the dialogue.  I got to see it on stage a few years ago and there's something heart-warming and inspiring in seeing the way that people manage to keep hold of their humour and humanity in some of the most dreadful and tragic circumstances.

Thank you so much for the questions, I had a lot of fun answering them! :hug: 

• Like 2

Hi you wonderful person! :wub::hug: 

1. You mentioned you enjoy reading romance! Which kinds of romances draw you in and make you really ship the main characters? Do you have any favorite tropes? ❤️

2. I haven't yet read The Art of Confidence, though it's one of the (many) stories of yours that's on my to-read list! But I've gathered that it's a fake-dating fic, which I love. Which parts of the romance in this story would you yourself want to read? (And when you write romance, do you draw from personal experiences or do you stay far away from doing that? :P)

3. What are you most proud of in your writing? You've spoken a lot on your concerns and difficulties, but your writing is so beautiful, and so I think you deserve to voice the things you like about your own work. ❤️

4. Who are your greatest inspirations, and what do they inspire in you?

5. If you were to publish an OF, what would it be about? 💖

You're amazinggg! :hug: 

• Like 1

SIAN!!! Thank you for the lovely questions on my journal, I'm here with some in return ❤️

On 8/2/2019 at 1:44 AM, sibilant said:

1. Dammit Shreya stole my first idea so I need to rephrase now 😋 would you say that Shakespeare and his portrayal of characters, themes, love, fate ect has influenced your own writing? Similarly would you say that any other playwrights/ authors or poets have had a lasting influence on your writing? 

2. The Art of Confidence is top of my to-read list and I've heard SO much about it so far, all good, bit if you had to pitch it to me in three sentences or less, how would you sum it up?

3. Music while writing? If so has one song/album inspired your writing recently? 

4. Are there any other minor characters who's story has been calling out to you but you haven't written yet? 

5. Which of your characters would you say reminds you most of you?  And in which ways? 

6. Potions, Transfiguration or Defence? 

7. What was your first ever fic about? How has your writing grown since then? 

Edited by something wicked
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@just.a.willow.tree these questions were so lovely, thank you so much! :wub: 

1. You mentioned you enjoy reading romance! Which kinds of romances draw you in and make you really ship the main characters? Do you have any favorite tropes? 

I do enjoy reading romance!  It's always fun to watch two people grow closer together and see the effects that can have on them.  To answer the next questions slightly out of order - I think one of my favourite tropes in romance is friends to lovers, which ties in with something that makes me really ship the main characters: when they understand and accept the other person.  Obviously being in a relationship means you're going to change and (hopefully) grow, but I hate reading relationships when one half of the relationship tries to make the other change to meet their expectations.  Luckily that doesn't tend to happen as much in fic, which is probably why I read romance more in fic than in published fiction :P

2. I haven't yet read The Art of Confidence, though it's one of the (many) stories of yours that's on my to-read list! But I've gathered that it's a fake-dating fic, which I love. Which parts of the romance in this story would you yourself want to read? (And when you write romance, do you draw from personal experiences or do you stay far away from doing that? :P)

:wub: As far as the romance in the story is concerned, probably the fact that it's a friends to lovers story (see above) is what I'd want to read the most.  It's going to be fun writing two characters who aren't awkward around each other at all suddenly becoming awkward when the feelings make themselves known (hopefully - let's try and be optimistic about what I've landed myself into).  I try and stay away from anything that's very obviously personal experience, because that's probably a bit too much to put into a story, though there's probably little aspects that are influenced by mine or good friends' experiences!

3. What are you most proud of in your writing? You've spoken a lot on your concerns and difficulties, but your writing is so beautiful, and so I think you deserve to voice the things you like about your own work. 

I don't know what the fact that this was the most difficult question to answer says about me :couch: I think I can write some quite good descriptions?  But also my characterisation, I think?  I try and make sure I have a pretty good handle on the characters before I start writing them, and they tend to come to life in my head before they make it onto the page, so I'd like to think I manage that quite well.

4. Who are your greatest inspirations, and what do they inspire in you?

This is also a really hard question to answer, for different reasons - there's so many people who inspire me in very different ways.  But I think I'd have to say my family for instilling some of my dearest values into me, and inspiring me to work hard and better myself all the time, and my friends, who inspire me a lot when it comes to overcoming adversity or showing passion for things you care about.

5. If you were to publish an OF, what would it be about? 

*looks at folder of neglected OF stories* I don't think publishing an OF story will be happening any time soon :P but if I managed to successfully transfer some of the main aspects of my fic writing to OF, then it would probably be a mystery of some kind featuring twenty-somethings who are frustrated with life.  Clearly I'm not that creative with my plots :ninjavanish:

@something wicked Deni!  These are such brilliant questions :hug: 

1. Dammit Shreya stole my first idea so I need to rephrase now  :P would you say that Shakespeare and his portrayal of characters, themes, love, fate ect has influenced your own writing? Similarly would you say that any other playwrights/ authors or poets have had a lasting influence on your writing? 

I don't know that I've ever consciously written a story influenced by Shakespeare, although I really want to write more about Emilia from Othello some day.  I'm not sure I'm fully on board with fate in the way Shakespeare portrays it, but I think the way that his plays capture human characters and emotion are amazing and I'd love to be able to emulate even half of that in my own stories.  As for other writers who've influenced my writing - I'm actually terrible at this, because I'm a bit of a sponge and assimilate my style a little too much to whatever I've read recently.  I swear, if I read Jane Austen I walk around for days speaking like a Regency lady :P One example of that in my writing is probably Witch, which I wrote a few weeks after reading Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel, and there are definitely some similarities in style because of that (though of course, my writing is nowhere near as stunning as hers).

2. The Art of Confidence is top of my to-read list and I've heard SO much about it so far, all good, bit if you had to pitch it to me in three sentences or less, how would you sum it up?

Pitching my own stories is so hard, I'm too awkward to try and sell them to people :P  I assume 'please read my story because I'll love you forever' doesn't count? :couch:  No?  One sentence, then.  How about: 'Fake-dating and friends to lovers meets mystery, morally grey characters, and a healthy dose of swearing and sarcasm?'  That's the best I've got, I'm afraid.

3. Music while writing? If so has one song/album inspired your writing recently? 

Yes!  I find it hard to write to a soundtrack of absolute silence.  Sometimes I just want the background noise and it's not necessarily connected to the story I'm working on, but other times I think it really helps capture the mood of a story.  I've been working on a story about Sirius recently (that was originally for Noelle's challenge, but unfortunately wasn't finished in time) and I've found myself listening to Bastille's Bad Blood album again after a long time, because I think that suits the mood of the story quite well?

4. Are there any other minor characters who's story has been calling out to you but you haven't written yet? 

I've written a lot of minor characters and have head canon for most of the next gen cast (but I'm assuming they don't count here), so I can't think of anyone really at the moment?  I've always wanted to write something about Arabella Figg, but I don't have a story for her yet so the idea that's floating around at the moment is essentially her name and not much more.  I think I might need a bit more to get round to writing that :P 

5. Which of your characters would you say reminds you most of you?  And in which ways? 

Probably Roxanne from Jigsaw, although her similarities to me were largely unintentional, oops.  She overthinks things almost as much as I do, she's close to her family and she'd do anything for her friends, all of which are true of me, too.  Ironically, even though I planned out and wrote the first few chapters a long time before I reached the age Roxy is in the story, I ended up sharing a lot of her frustrations with work and life in your early twenties.  I think she's more naive than I am, though, and she gives people far more chances than I would in real life.  If I ever get round to writing the sequel, we'll see if any of those similarities and differences have shifted at all.

6. Potions, Transfiguration or Defence? 

Without context I'm going to say Transfiguration, because it'd be more useful on an every day basis?  But if it's likely that I'll be under attack any time soon then Defence, please!

7. What was your first ever fic about? How has your writing grown since then? 

I'm laughing because this is going to sound so familiar to you :P My first fic was actually a Molly II/OC short story.  It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but it was very clichéd, with very little character development and basically zero plot apart from the very whirlwind and rather unrealistic romance.  I've always liked the characters, though, and some of what happens in the story is still my head canon for Molly within my next gen/Jigsaw universe.  The Molly II/OC ft. dragons that I want to work on (and have a few chapters of already) takes the very basic elements of my first fic and (hopefully) fleshes it out much more into a proper story.  If I ever get round to properly writing it or posting it then I'll probably have concrete evidence of the ways my writing has grown since my first fic :P But I think I've become much more aware of my writing, in terms of my strengths and weaknesses, and the different elements that I need to draw on to make up a good story?  Getting a bit more life experience since then hasn't hurt my writing, either, I don't think!

Thank you both for such wonderful questions!  These really made me think and they were so fun to answer! :hug:

• Like 2

Sian! Here for our little swap :hug: 

1. I remember reading Jigsaw in nearly one full go last year -- what was the planning process like for such a mystery-filled novel and how did you make sure you didn't leave any plot holes or even really many clues for readers? 

2. You wrote A LOT for the Great Collab -- where did all of those ideas come from?

3. How do you balance writing WIPs with writing challenge entries that have set deadlines? And also with your thesis writing? 

4. Favorite time of day to be outside and why? 

5. What's a book you've read recently that you'd highly recommend reading and why?

6. What is your favorite part about writing Next Gen and why is it such an appealing era for you?

7. Tea or Coffee?

Edited by MadiMalfoy

Hi @MadiMalfoy! Sorry for taking a little time to reply, but it's been a hectic week and I thought these questions deserved some time for proper answers ^_^ 

1. I remember reading Jigsaw in nearly one full go last year -- what was the planning process like for such a mystery-filled novel and how did you make sure you didn't leave any plot holes or even really many clues for readers? 

Well.  First, I'm really flattered that you read all of the monster in almost one go :wub: As far as planning is concerned, I remember really trying to plan it properly, because it was my first novel and with it being a mystery I knew I'd need more planning.  I tried - I have a document somewhere with a character list and some details about each of them and their role in the mystery.  I even remember starting to fill out one of those OC character form things (does anyone else remember those?) for Roxy.  Unfortunately I'm both lazy and impatient, especially when it comes to writing, so the actual planning basically consisted of three lines of chapter outlines for 27 chapters, which is the length it was originally meant to be.  3 chapters added themselves as I started writing, as did several characters and a lot of scenes, which is why it's such a ridiculous length :P I can't really believe that there aren't any plot holes, but maybe they're just minor ones?  As for clues - I did try and leave some, but I think a few were way too subtle for people to pick up on and I probably focused more on red herrings than actual clues, so maybe those are things to bear in mind when I write mysteries again in the future!

2. You wrote A LOT for the Great Collab -- where did all of those ideas come from?

Right back at you :P Honestly, I think necessity is probably the answer for this - it's amazing what a healthy dose of house pride and a deadline can do.  A couple of the stories I wrote were based on vague ideas I'd had before, or at least characters I'd wanted to write about - that was true for mes a'n lester, Cannonball and As We Come Ashore.  Rush of Blood came from nowhere, really, except the deadline was looming and I needed to write something about vampires - Sanguini and Eldred decided the rest because they wouldn't do what I was planning for them to, as witnessed by most of Gryffindor as I descended into writing madness :P

3. How do you balance writing WIPs with writing challenge entries that have set deadlines? And also with your thesis writing? 

I... don't?  I try, and I managed pretty well earlier this year with the challenge entries that I was writing alongside my essays, but right now it's heading towards crunch time for my dissertation, so as much as I'd like to be a reckless Gryffindor, fic writing is only happening when I have actual breaks or I've done enough work on my diss that day.  I'm just hoping all the plunnies hopping round my head don't burrow themselves away once my deadline has passed!

4. Favorite time of day to be outside and why? 

Early morning, when it's cold but the sun is shining and the world hasn't woken up properly yet.  But that doesn't happen often with my terrible sleeping habits, so I'll also say early evening, especially in summer, when it's still light and work is over and there's a sort of calmness and happiness around.

5. What's a book you've read recently that you'd highly recommend reading and why?

I've not been reading as much (outside of uni) as I'd like lately, and it's mainly been a lot of rereads, but one book that's really stuck with me this year is Bloody Brilliant Women by Cathy Newman.  The author is a journalist and the book tells the stories of the British women - some famous, others you've never heard of - who've helped to make Britain the place it is today.  It sounds like it could be a repetitive list, but the writing is really engaging and the range of areas of life that she covers in the book is really fascinating.

6. What is your favorite part about writing Next Gen and why is it such an appealing era for you?

I think this my answer to this is probably in two parts.  I was first drawn to next gen by the freedom and possibilities it held, particularly because I first wrote about Roxy and I'd maybe read one or two one-shots that included her before I started Jigsaw.  The fact that I could write the next gen characters at a similar age to me, without the constraints of them dealing with the immediate aftermath of the war so that I could write them in more relatable situations, really appealed.  Now, I think that my next gen universe has been living in my head for so long that it doesn't really feel like much of an effort to slip back into it?  Not many of those stories besides Jigsaw have made it onto the archives yet, but they're all there inside my head and hopefully they'll see the light one day!

7. Tea or Coffee?

I'm British, and I think I'd be betraying my family if I answered anything but tea (but seriously, tea :wub: )

Thank you so much for these lovely questions! :hug:

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Abby! :hug: Sorry it's taken me so long to answer these, but they were lovely to come back to!

1. What draws you to writing angst, heartbreak, and minor characters?

Hmm, I think for angst and heartbreak, it's probably because of the range of emotions that writing them allow me to explore.  Those emotions process differently for everyone who experiences them and yet there's still a common feeling running through them all - I really love finding new ways to write that.  As for minor characters (and next gen) it's mainly because of the freedom that I get writing them.  Major canon characters scare me a bit because people have such clear expectations of those characters, but you don't have to live up to that with minor characters.  I think it also lets you deal with a lot of themes that don't come up as much in canon because you get to write about a lot of different situations.

2. What drew you to writing fan fiction? And do you have any aspirations for OF?

I think the same thing that drew most people to fic - I originally wanted to read more about the characters that I loved, and then I thought that maybe I could do that, too.  The fic community has taught me a lot and I love being able to get feedback on stories (on the rare occasions that I write).  I do have vague aspirations and ideas for OF eventually, but I think I still have a lot to learn about writing and I love using fic for that, plus I feel like there's a lot less pressure when it comes to writing fic.  I'm hoping to get properly back into fic first before I attempt OF again.

3. What is one theme or genre that you have not written much of but would like to further explore? And why?

There are so many themes that I want to explore in stories, but I'll go with the genre that I want to write more of - romance.  I have a few next gen novels that I want to write and romance is a main genre in some of them, but I've never felt very confident writing it.  It's a personal challenge to work on that and try and improve :) 

4. What is one thing about your process that you swear by and why? And what is one piece of writing advice that has NOT work for you and why?

I don't know that I really have any writing processes any more :P  but I do like writing by hand.  When I'm stuck with a story or writing in general, I think getting away from the distractions of the screen and the easy temptation to edit really helps.  The one piece of writing advice that hasn't worked for me is "write every day", but I suspect part of that is due to my talent for finding distractions and general laziness as well.  It's something that I want to build up to eventually, but I usually feel worse if I try and pressure myself into writing and can't do it.

5. How's that ginger tea?   

It's excellent, thank you.  I particularly recommend it with a slice of lemon cake ;)