Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Happy Pride month! <3
  • Congratulations to all of our house award winners!
  • The House Cup Finale is underway! Check out the Campaign Headquarters sub-forum for more information.
Sign in to follow this  
Rumpelstiltskin

LOTR / The Hobbit

Rumpelstiltskin

Okay, if you don't all know by now, I'm a huge fan of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings series as well as The Hobbit (the books and the films and all the fanon to boot).  This thread can be used for both since it's in the same universe and I'm certain that there isn't a huge following on the site (right now).

I'm going to start the discussion off with the Hobbit (book, movies, and fanon).

First of all, you all probably know my favorite character is Thranduil, King of the Silvan/Woodland Elves in Mirkwood (formerly known as Greenwood).  A brief history of Thranduil, and why he's my favorite:  Oropher, Thranduil's father, was appointed King of the Silvan Elves some time at the end of the First Age until the day he was slain in the Battle of Dagorlad. Thranduil then led the Silvan Elves in the remainder of the battles during that war (The War of the Last Alliance), and after Sauron was defeated, led the Elves to the Woodland area where he became King.  His wife, who remains unnamed, was killed by the Angmar (witch-king) in Gundabad (a prison), leaving him alone with his only son (Legolas).  In fact, the loss of his wife hurt so badly that he never spoke of her (even to Legolas). It wasn't until after he saw the love that Tauriel had for Kili (in one of the saddest moments of my life) did we see him speak of her (and only briefly) to Legolas.  It had been clear in the films up until this point that Thranduil had love for his son, the Elven Race, and those darn white gems, but little else.  We can go on with some further background information later, as well as some more speculation on him and other characters later, but Thranduil is my favorite character from the Hobbit because not only is he an awesome fighter, but he has this depth to him that goes beyond the surface, and it makes my heart warm! 

Edited by Rumpelstiltskin
  • Like 1

Rumpelstiltskin

Okay, this time I'm here to sort Thranduil into a Hogwarts House.

Obviously, Thranduil belongs to Slytherin. :slytherin: I'm not just saying that because he's my favorite character from the Hobbit films (fun fact: Thranduil was only briefly mentioned in the LotR books as 'the Elvenking' and never even mentioned in the Hobbit book, though he ha).  Even if he did truly belong to a different house, I would still be stealing him away to Slytherin.

Why I think Thranduil is a Slytherin:

Thranduil cares a lot about the Elves of his Kingdom. He wants to protect them and them alone -- without too much concern for others. (Thranduil has this superiority complex where he believes that elves are better than every other race, and it relies largely on the fact that the elven race can outlive other races by a long-shot in combination with a few other factors.) Slytherins, of course, are very Slytherin-centered, bound by a sense of fraternity.  

He is an anti-hero (to a certain extent), and what better House to represent an anti-hero than Slytherin.

He's also quite ambitious.  I mean, he is the King of Mirkwood, after all.

All of these things tie into his need for power (he's the King of the Silvan Elves , for crying out loud).

And then there's the sense of self-preservation. Thranduil's a force to be reckoned with when he goes to battle, but he'd much rather hang back in order to ensure not only his safety but the safety of all the elves under his rule.  There's also that bit between Thranduil and Tauriel where he tells her that she shouldn't lead his son (Legolas) to believe that they (Tauriel and Legolas) could be together because Tauriels a 'lowly Silvan Elf' (technically her words, not his, though he agrees with her).

Can we talk about determination for a moment? This Elf has held a grudge with a couple generations of Dwarves over these white gems (though, to be fair, Thranduil's fondness of the gems is arguably one of his greatest weaknesses).

That's all for now! 

• Like 2

Rainbow-tui

I love the Hobbit, and LoTR when I'm motivated enough to wade in (I discovered both aged 10, and I think my attitude still stems from then). I have never come across Thranduil before though, I need to reread LoTR sometime after uni... I like the imagery the comes to mind as I read. If you really love LoTR you should come to Aotearoa NZ!

• Like 1

Rumpelstiltskin

Thranduil is only briefly mentioned in LotR as "the Elvenking"; not at all in the Hobbit. It was actually Peter Jackson's vision that transformed this concept into Thranduil during the Hobbit movies. 

I've heard NZ is beautiful -- I've always wanted to go.

MadiMalfoy

Okay so regarding your love of Thranduil @Rumpelstiltskin, I just wanna throw out that even though he's barely mentioned in any of the books, I seriously love how Lee Pace (:wub:) portrayed him in the Hobbit movies. Because he was beauty, he was grace, and he would definitely punch you in the face. 

I think that one of my favorite things about LotR/The Hobbit is the complexity with which JRR Tolkien wrote each and every character. Smeagol/Gollum and even Sauron had some depth to their characters. This is something I think some contemporary authors have lost -- giving all or nearly all of their characters more than just one or two dimensions within the story. Yes Tolkien did like to sit on describing the scenery quite often, but he also had a lot of his characters talk for long periods of time with each other, which allowed for more of that characterization to shine through. 

I think my favorite character of the Dwarves is Fili or Kili. They are the youngest and therefore the silliest and happy-go-lucky (ish) that they can be. But they also have very good skills and training for battles and support Thorin completely. 

I just also love LotR so much but haven't had time lately to go back and re-read the books / re-watch the movies. ^_^ 

• Like 2

Ashley

I've started the audio books only on the first one. Lol. And love the movies. 

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this