Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Our 'The Nifflers That Stole Christmas' event is open through January 1!
  • What did the golden snitch say when Harry Potter was itchy?
  • Quidditching!
poppunkpadfoot

poppunkpadfoot

poppunkpadfoot

So, once again, my NaNo project is my (hopefully) novel, The Department! I feel like most of you are probably familiar with it by now, but just in case you're not, I'll give a quick rundown:

When Sirius learns of Regulus's death through his position as a rookie Auror, he becomes determined to prevent what happened to his brother from happening to anyone else. Realizing that the Ministry of Magic has no mechanism by which to intervene in cases of child abuse - no laws, let alone a way to enforce them - he sets out to create an office of child welfare. Meanwhile, as part of his work with the Order of the Phoenix, Sirius is involved in a dangerous operation that forces him to get up close and personal with the life he left behind. When these two worlds unexpectedly collide, the stakes are raised and Sirius finds himself struggling against opposition, indifference, and the trauma of a past that he can't seem to escape.

Pinterest boards! (All M)
+The Department
+Sirius Black
+Regulus Black
+Remus Lupin
+James Potter

Chapter images!

yTjxJFl.png NddBKKQ.png

And, of course: +link to the existing chapters! (M)

StarFeather

Hi, Kayla. I'm glad to know you will continue this story. :D

You have two big themes : Why and how Regulus died, which Sirius had to face.

: Sirius is going to create an office of child welfare. (As I know you did write a great story about Remus and his Muggle boyfriend, I believe you can do it, Kayla!)

I will keep sending cheers!

• Like 1

FlamingQuilltips

HELLO Fellow Marauder-addict!!!

Here's a shiny picspam to spice up your nest!

collage.jpg

• Like 2

Rumpelstiltskin

I sincerely love your writing--I need to spend some more time reading your works! I also haven't had the chance to start really getting into the Department, yet! 

First, I come bearing encouragement: :greenstars::greenstars:YOU CAN DO IT! <3 Secondly, I come bearing love: :wub::wub: I completely adore every way I've seen you portray Sirius. I'm really excited to start reading this piece!  And lastly, a question--what was your greatest inspiration for this? It's so interesting and unique (just like the rest of your stories I've seen)! 

Happy NaNo'ing! I know you'll do great! 

• Like 1

poppunkpadfoot

@Rumpelstiltskin omg I'm flattered! Thank you!

To be completely honest - I started writing this back in 2016 and by this point I've forgotten what initially inspired it, exactly. :$ But what I like about it is it lets me look at Regulus Black - and Sirius's relationship with/to him - with more nuance. It's something I explored a little in Breathe, and then Drown, but obviously those events take place before the two of them become estranged and before Regulus dies. I want(ed) to explore how Regulus's death would affect Sirius but I really don't remember how I got from there to "Sirius is working as an Auror and decides to create an office that deals with child abuse and neglect". Sorry I can't give you a firmer/more interesting answer bahaha.

Thanks for stopping by! :wub:

firewhiskey

YYYESSSSS NANO PENPAL I LOVE THIS.

First of all I'm a sucker for an AU, especially one that changes Sirius's fate (hopefully.) And it's so believable that he would become invested in child welfare because of his own past. 

That being said, how much of this is an AU? (Or at least as much as you're willing to share!) Is he still close friends with James, Peter and Remus?

Happy writing!

• Like 1

poppunkpadfoot

@firewhiskey hiiii!

my tendency across all my stories is very much to build them on the foundations of what's established in canon. it's very rare that i outright change something important from the backstory of a character (although i'm not the type to obsess over dates or anything, so sometimes my timelines get wonky - for example, in breathe, sirius runs away from home a year early. oops!). what i do do is build on top of established motivations, canon events, existing relationships - etc. often, the changes that i make are things that don't directly alter canon facts about a character's past/backstory, but also don't directly alter the character's future either.

so, for example, remus and sirius are a couple in the department. that doesn't directly contradict canon - it just fills in a hole where nothing firmly established exists. sirius ran away from home for reasons relating to his sexuality - again, doesn't really contradict canon, as the reasoning we were given was very vague, along the lines of "i got sick of their nonsense".

the only place where the department really starts to veer off canon lines is.... well, sirius being an auror and the establishment of the child protection office. which i recognize is basically the whole plot of the story ahaha. but my point is that most of my stories i would say are not... NOT aus, you could definitely call them aus, but in my opinion they fit fine into established canon because they don't drastically alter the path of a character. this is different, because while i've stuck to my usual method of leaving backstory intact, i've meddled with sirius's "present" (i.e. the post-hogwarts pre-azkaban years) and future.

so this was basically a very protracted way of saying: backstory up to the department's "present" remains intact along canon lines, as usual. james plays a fairly prominent role in chapter one (M), and the whole gang makes an appearance in chapter two, with remus being most heavily featured. ^_^ regarding my plans for "future" canon events, i am comfortable revealing that

Spoiler

harry will be born

- won't say anything beyond that, because that would get right into spoilers territory! :ninja:

thanks for stopping by! :wub:

Edit by staff:  Added rating for a link to a mature-rated chapter.

Edited by Veritaserum27

nott theodore

Kayla!  So nobody has asked many questions yet and I'm here to correct that.  Also because I know you love me pestering you and poking you to write more :angel:

1. silence. death. HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?  Why did you choose Remus as the main character for this rather than an original character?

2. How much research did you have to do for the story?

3. Have you been surprised by the reaction to it?

4. The DepartmentWhy do you insist on torturing poor Sirius?  What have been the biggest challenges in writing this story?

5. Similarly, what have you enjoyed the most?

6. Am I going to need some bandages for my heart for the rest of the story?

7. You've written so many different stories about Remus and Sirius and the Marauders.  What gives you inspiration for new stories about them?

8. If you weren't allowed to write any stories about any of the Marauders for the rest of your life, which characters would be your go-to to write about next?

• Like 1

poppunkpadfoot
On 1/1/2018 at 12:02 PM, nott theodore said:

Kayla!  So nobody has asked many questions yet and I'm here to correct that.  Also because I know you love me pestering you and poking you to write more :angel:

1. silence. death. HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO ME?  Why did you choose Remus as the main character for this rather than an original character?

2. How much research did you have to do for the story?

3. Have you been surprised by the reaction to it?

4. The DepartmentWhy do you insist on torturing poor Sirius?  What have been the biggest challenges in writing this story?

5. Similarly, what have you enjoyed the most?

6. Am I going to need some bandages for my heart for the rest of the story?

7. You've written so many different stories about Remus and Sirius and the Marauders.  What gives you inspiration for new stories about them?

8. If you weren't allowed to write any stories about any of the Marauders for the rest of your life, which characters would be your go-to to write about next?

Sian :wub:

1. Heheheh I'm not even sorry. Tbh an original character didn't even occur to me. I really have no idea how to approach OCs and I definitely don't feel like I could've written as emotional/impactful a piece with an OC. For one thing I'd have to spend time building that character up rather than relying on readers to understand backstory, character traits, etc from canon (/is lazy :P).  The very few OCs i do have are minor characters and I never feel like I'm very good at developing them or that I have a good grasp on who they are/how to write them even as I write. Re: why Remus, he was the natural choice after I realized Sirius wasn't going to work lol because he was the only one of the Marauders who was around and not dead/in Azkaban/a rat when the AIDS crisis exploded, and as we all know I have no range :P

Really though, I did feel like he fit very well for the part, as he had that proximity to some of the worst parts of the war and therefore I could make the parallels that I did.

2. Honestly, not a lot. Most of the research that I did was very supplementary - either fact-checking to make sure I was remembering things correctly, or research on the specifics of what happened in the UK during the epidemic as compared to the US, which is more my area of expertise (for some reason... /is not American). For the most part, I relied on my own knowledge. (Although I don't want to sound like I was just making stuff up - this is just something I've done a fair amount of research on for other reasons :) )

3. I've been a bit surprised! I really didn't expect it to win your challenge (<3) and I think I kind of expected it would be mostly passed over by readers because the subject matter could be considered kind of "niche". But on the other hand, the HPFT community is lovely and always really supportive, which is amazing, and I find that there's a receptive audience here for all kinds of unusual and wonderful stuff. <3

4. It's complicated ahaha. This story for me has basically been challenge after challenge, to the point where the next question might be tricky to answer :P I've discovered with The Department that long stories are just... really not my forte. I frequently find myself just not knowing what to do - having space to fill up and just having no idea whatsoever what to fill it up with. It's really daunting. Almost everything else I've written takes place within a very small time period - even Breathe, the longest story I have posted right now, takes place over the course of like... two months, or something? And there's ample room to skip time within those two months.

So yeah, definitely the biggest challenge is having a longer timeline and needing to find ways to fill it up. And not really knowing what I'm doing makes it kinda hard a lot of the time to just sit down and write. Which makes it difficult to motivate myself to write at all. Sooo tl;dr I'm a mess and have no idea what I'm doing :P but I really care about and believe in the basic idea and bones of the story, so I really hope I'll be able to figure it out and make it work. (For the sake of the people who read it, too, because I've been pretty blown away by the response and I really don't want to let people down.)

Ahaha I've made this sound so bleak! I promise I'm doing my best and not just falling into a pit of despair, lol.

5. I think what I've enjoyed most is definitely being able to explore Sirius's feelings towards and about Regulus. It's something I've never really done before but it's something I think about a lot, so being able to work those thoughts out within a story has been great.

6.  Ummm ahaha possibly? I mean, you know me, but also I'm gonna tentatively say that you may not need as many bandages as you're worried you're going to need? Things should settle down a bit soon and be calmer for a while ;)

7. Hmmm I'm not sure I have a definitive answer for this one. I mean, it depends on the context. With challenges, at this point I kind of just work under the assumption that I'm going to be writing a Marauders story and enter challenges/choose prompts/etc accordingly, although if I look at a challenge and get a plunny for different characters or a different era or whatever, I'm not opposed to that at all. And then sometimes I just, y'know... get ideas, maybe based on something I've been watching or listening to, or maybe because I've been pondering some element of one of their canon arcs, or whatever. It's not unusual at all for music to spark something in me, and I have little mini-playlists or even individual songs that I relate to certain characters or stories of mine. (And I have a playlist for The Department that I update every so often, which people can hit me up for if they'd like.)

8. I would just lay down and die lol jk :P Tbh, my first instinct is to say Mr Harry Potter himself! (/has a type, apparently :ninja:) And also Ginny too, cause she's awesome. Harry/Ginny is where I got my start in fanfiction and was my first OTP, so I like to think I could go back to it sometime if I tried, haha.

Thanks for the awesome questions, lovely! <3

poppunkpadfoot

Just an update to say that I'm (finally!) working on The Department again, and I also have a new short story in the queue (which is an entry for Eva's Love, _____ Challenge) 😄

• Like 1

PaulaTheProkaryote

Hi Kayla! :)

I have a few questions for you! 

1. Okay, we all know you live and breathe wolfstar, but what other ship do you typically enjoy?

2. Does writing energize or exhaust you?

3. What are your perfect writing conditions?

4. If you could administer veritaserum to one character in any fandom, who would they be and what would you ask them?

Happy holidays! 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

poppunkpadfoot
18 hours ago, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

Hi Kayla! :)

I have a few questions for you! 

1. Okay, we all know you live and breathe wolfstar, but what other ship do you typically enjoy?

2. Does writing energize or exhaust you?

3. What are your perfect writing conditions?

4. If you could administer veritaserum to one character in any fandom, who would they be and what would you ask them?

Happy holidays! 

Ah! Thank you Paula! :wub:

1. Honestly, there isn't another HP ship that I pay much attention to (although I used to really love Harry/Ginny, hahaha), but I really like Steve/Bucky as well! (As in Captain America hahaha) I've never tried writing it but I really enjoy reading it!

2. Sadly it usually exhausts me :( Sometimes I get super inspired and can just write and write, and that's super energizing but also pretty rare. But I don't think that's about writing itself so much as it's about my own energy levels, hahaha.

3. Oooh hm. Maybe like... in my bedroom, while it's raining outside, and I have music playing? Or maybe on a nice beach somewhere, or in a cozy cafe? :D

4. Omg this is a hard question. Maybe... Dumbledore? Just because he was so secretive and had such a long life, so I'm sure he'd have some interesting stuff to reveal.

Happy holidays to you too! ❤️ 

• Like 1