Jump to content

Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Our January Bulletin is up - check it out for a quick HPFT orientation or refresher!
  • The Great Collab of 2018-19 is underway!
  • Our Magical Menagerie review event has officially begun!
WriteYourHeartOut

Site Suggestions and Feedback

Recommended Posts

toomanycurls

It's on my list of things and has been discussed in the Archive feature/request thread. The code for viewing reviews you've left is jumbled with code for leaving reviews and viewing reviews on a story. Messing with the UI for sorting/filtering and even just making a new order and group output is less straightforward than I'd like. Generally, this is on my list of things to change but isn't a quick one off adjustment to make. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just.a.willow.tree

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, or if it's just my dumb little iPhone's mistake, but whenever I'm on mobile, I can't see the time/date of people's posts. There's just like a blank spot where the time/date used to be (I think this problem happened once the forums were updated?) and though it's not like a major problem or anything, it just keeps throwing me off a bit. :P

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

toomanycurls
10 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, or if it's just my dumb little iPhone's mistake, but whenever I'm on mobile, I can't see the time/date of people's posts. There's just like a blank spot where the time/date used to be (I think this problem happened once the forums were updated?) and though it's not like a major problem or anything, it just keeps throwing me off a bit. :P

That's just how the mobile layout is for the forum. I haven't looked to see if we can change it without getting crazy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alopex
49 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

I don't know if anyone else is having this problem, or if it's just my dumb little iPhone's mistake, but whenever I'm on mobile, I can't see the time/date of people's posts. There's just like a blank spot where the time/date used to be (I think this problem happened once the forums were updated?) and though it's not like a major problem or anything, it just keeps throwing me off a bit. :P

Yup, Rose is right that it’s the way the mobile display works. IPB is built to be responsive, and the smaller your screen is, the more gets hidden (not counting stuff from plugins or applications like badges which aren’t part of the default software). You lose quite a lot on a tablet compared to a desktop and then even more going down in screen size to a phone.

I guess they think the date takes up too much room for some reason (it’s not a new thing since this last update). It bugs me too sometimes.

There is likely a way to force it to show. It would have to be an edit made to each theme individually. I’m making no promises, but I will make a note to research it further to see if I can figure it out or not.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

SolitarySorceress

Lovely Staffers!

I was just going through the badges section: the badge claim thread to be specific and just got an idea. 

I was thinking that we could automate the badge award system. I think it must take a significant amount of time of the staff in going through all the claims and making sure that correct badges are awarded to the members. 

We could automate the process and remove the overhead of the member claiming the badge and then staff assigning it.

For example, whenever a new member joins, they could automatically be given the join date badge. If the HPFT author page is attached to the user's profile, then the system can easily award the writing milestone badges.

There can even be a system generated message/notification sent to the user each time they get a new badge and they can be shown the next badge they can work towards, in each category, on their profile, all automated through the system.

I know it will be more difficult to automate in some cases as compared to others, but I'm sure we can figure a way out. I'm actually taking inspiration through a similar system on a popular tech forum Stack Overflow (M to be safe).

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I've experience with developing such stuff and can totally help with adding the feature to the site, if you guys allow me. We can start with one set of badges at a time and then complete it iteratively.

What do you think? I'm not even sure if you'd considered this before and then dropped it due to some reasons I'm not aware of, so would love to know your thoughts on this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alopex
1 hour ago, SolitarySorceress said:

Lovely Staffers!

I was just going through the badges section: the badge claim thread to be specific and just got an idea. 

I was thinking that we could automate the badge award system. I think it must take a significant amount of time of the staff in going through all the claims and making sure that correct badges are awarded to the members. 

We could automate the process and remove the overhead of the member claiming the badge and then staff assigning it.

For example, whenever a new member joins, they could automatically be given the join date badge. If the HPFT author page is attached to the user's profile, then the system can easily award the writing milestone badges.

There can even be a system generated message/notification sent to the user each time they get a new badge and they can be shown the next badge they can work towards, in each category, on their profile, all automated through the system.

I know it will be more difficult to automate in some cases as compared to others, but I'm sure we can figure a way out. I'm actually taking inspiration through a similar system on a popular tech forum Stack Overflow (M to be safe).

Oh, and I forgot to mention that I've experience with developing such stuff and can totally help with adding the feature to the site, if you guys allow me. We can start with one set of badges at a time and then complete it iteratively.

What do you think? I'm not even sure if you'd considered this before and then dropped it due to some reasons I'm not aware of, so would love to know your thoughts on this. 

So to be clear, you are volunteering to code this for us and to create a bridge between forum and archive softwares? (None of us are coders...)

You're right, the badge system is kind of tedious and automation would be  cool. However, it's an application we bought, so it works the way it works, and we had no say in designing it.

Many things also I struggle to see how they would be automated...like the software doesn't know if you were named Head Student or if you judged a challenge. Are you proposing also building a way to enter that information somehow/somewhere so that the badge application looks at it and it triggers something?

If you are volunteering to be a coder for the site, please PM me, toomanycurls, and abhorsen to discuss it. There honestly are things more important than badges that could be done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

BlackPixie

Hi! I don't want to sound fussy, but quite a lot lately I've been noticing that email messages in threads that I am following, aren't always sent in the right order, or even in like, a 'timely' manner.

Also, is it possible to reduce the size of the 'You might also be interested in...' section in the notification emails? I know it is a good size on desktop, but often when reading my emails on my phone while I am travelling, they are absolutely massive and sometimes take up a looootttt more screen than the actual message/thread I'm trying to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

toomanycurls
7 minutes ago, BlackPixie said:

Hi! I don't want to sound fussy, but quite a lot lately I've been noticing that email messages in threads that I am following, aren't always sent in the right order, or even in like, a 'timely' manner.

Also, is it possible to reduce the size of the 'You might also be interested in...' section in the notification emails? I know it is a good size on desktop, but often when reading my emails on my phone while I am travelling, they are absolutely massive and sometimes take up a looootttt more screen than the actual message/thread I'm trying to read.

The notification emails have been a bit weird since the last IBP update we had. The You Might also be interested in section is not something I've seen in the admin settings for something we can customize/config the format of. I've experienced both the issues you're describing but don't think they're issues we can easily resolve except by bugging IBP to make changes in future updates. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

scooterbug8515

Something that I've kind of noticed with some of the newbies and myself when I've been away from a spell... it is near impossible to tell what house a lot of staff and prefects are in.  I mean I get that their title changes from house to their position but it would be nice to know what house they associate with or play with either with a tag line in signatures or something.  Or maybe at lest with the prefects they can keep their color and there be 4 prefect groups so their title would be Slytherin Prefect, Gryffindor Prefect... so on and so forth. 

 

Only frustration I can see is that there is 3 additional user groups that you have to remember when granting permissions to new forums which can be a pain - assuming that the functionality between IPBFree and all the other forums I've run function the same (ie, invisionfree, jcink, proboards, taptalk) Of course IPBFree could be a whole other beast and not have translatable skills from one forum to the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alopex
12 minutes ago, scooterbug8515 said:

Something that I've kind of noticed with some of the newbies and myself when I've been away from a spell... it is near impossible to tell what house a lot of staff and prefects are in.  I mean I get that their title changes from house to their position but it would be nice to know what house they associate with or play with either with a tag line in signatures or something.  Or maybe at lest with the prefects they can keep their color and there be 4 prefect groups so their title would be Slytherin Prefect, Gryffindor Prefect... so on and so forth. 

 

Only frustration I can see is that there is 3 additional user groups that you have to remember when granting permissions to new forums which can be a pain - assuming that the functionality between IPBFree and all the other forums I've run function the same (ie, invisionfree, jcink, proboards, taptalk) Of course IPBFree could be a whole other beast and not have translatable skills from one forum to the other.

First off, I want to say I 100% see the merit in what you are suggesting.

We actually just introduced something on the newsletter/CR planning side to reduce the number of user groups that we have, because it is a pain to have so many (we already have a lot). We admins frequently get it wrong when having to create a new area or promote a new person. It really has been a pain.

Since we are just managing to make this slightly easier for ourselves, we aren’t going to be going backwards by introducing yet more user groups.

I agree it’s hard to tell. :( That’s one area where SMF was definitely better, because we could display those secondary user groups.

I am not sure if there is a feasible way to do it (signatures are hidden on mobile, but so are the profile panels)...I have looked at plugins, but we do want to minimize how many we have to reduce risk of them not being updated/remaining compatible.

It’s been a while since I’ve looked, though, so I can explore options again to see if genres anything than would work better than what I found over a year ago.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

scooterbug8515

Totally understand and get the pain.  I've made similar mistakes in my day and get you on not wanting to go backward.  Maybe something on the profile page?  I know I've clicked there when going 'now what house are you'?  I don't know how customizeable the profile page here is compared to that of say like JCink (lots of customization, if you know the right coding).  If it is easy to add a small section there then there is less concern for secondary groups or plugins.  (I don't think it is necessary to see things the second you look at the name but to get there in a click or two rather than going on a scavenger hunt would be nice) 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alopex
22 minutes ago, scooterbug8515 said:

Totally understand and get the pain.  I've made similar mistakes in my day and get you on not wanting to go backward.  Maybe something on the profile page?  I know I've clicked there when going 'now what house are you'?  I don't know how customizeable the profile page here is compared to that of say like JCink (lots of customization, if you know the right coding).  If it is easy to add a small section there then there is less concern for secondary groups or plugins.  (I don't think it is necessary to see things the second you look at the name but to get there in a click or two rather than going on a scavenger hunt would be nice) 🙂

Something on the profile page is one of the options I have in mind to explore. :thumbsup: But right now I am on my lunch break at work on a mobile device, so it'll have to wait until later.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Recent Badges

Shadowkat678

I would really like it if in the reviews given area of our account on the archive, we could sort reviews we made by date order. Makes it a lot easier when going back and looking to see if someone has responded to questions you asked in the review. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

abhorsen.
2 hours ago, Shadowkat678 said:

I would really like it if in the reviews given area of our account on the archive, we could sort reviews we made by date order. Makes it a lot easier when going back and looking to see if someone has responded to questions you asked in the review. :)

Totally agree - the way reviews are organized can be frustrating. @toomanycurls has this on her list of things that she'd like to do with the archive, but it's unfortunately not an easy fix, so we're not sure when (or if) it will be feasible to figure it out. :/ It is on our radar, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tgfoy

I wonder if it would be possible to add an "other sites" option to the Writer accounts box in members forum profiles, I belong to a couple that are not listed and would like to include them there. Another like would be to be able to link to my Forum profile from my Archive one if that is possible. I have no expertise to know how easy these ideas would be, it is also entirely possible that they can already be done and I have missed it, in which case my apologies for troubling you unnecessarily, but if they aren't I hope you will consider them for addition.
Tgfoy 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×