Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Our January Bulletin is up - check it out for a quick HPFT orientation or refresher!
  • The Great Collab of 2018-19 is underway!
  • Our Magical Menagerie review event has officially begun!
800 words of heaven

Reading Challenge 2018

800 words of heaven

With the dawn of 2018, rises a new reading challenge! :cheering:

This one is a little different from those hosted in previous years, in that there's no set goal! Of course, the traditional aim has been 50 - and obviously, everyone who visits this thread knows they're free to make their own reading goals. This year, I thought we'd frame it a little differently from the get go! Set your individual reading goals for the year, and share your progress with the rest of us! We're all here to cheer each other on!

Post a list of your goals AND/OR books read AND/OR currently reading AND/OR to read!

The goals don't just have to be number-based - if you want to read more books in translation this year, for example, share (and inspire :loveshower:)!

Double posting is allowed, but please wait a few days before posting and update of your ongoing list.

Happy reading, fellow 2018-ers! :bouncing:

• Like 1

nott theodore

Yay!  I've been looking forward to this thread! :bliss:

I kind of failed abysmally at my 2017 reading challenge of hitting 50 books - even when I lowered my goal to 40 :P - but it's a new year and I'm full of new optimism so I'm shooting for 50 again this year!  I actually have a bunch of books that have been on my bookcase without being read yet, so I'm going to make a list of those books this year and try and make it through at least a quarter of them for this year's challenge.

Besides that, I have a couple of other reading goals - one of them is to read three new Shakespeare plays.  Another is to read at least 5 non-fiction books this year.  There's a lot of interesting ones on my shelves that I've started in the past and never quite got round to finishing because they're easier to fall out of than fiction books (at least to me).  Then finally I want to read at least 1 book in the original French, Spanish, German and Italian.  If I can find a new book in Catalan, that too, otherwise my Catalan one might be a reread :P

I'm so excited for this year's reading - thank you for posting the thread! :bouncing:

• Like 1

Aphoride

Yesssss this thread's back :D:D:D

So, my major problem (read: not actually a problem, but something my mum and sister tell me is a problem for unknown reasons) is that I have 53 books (soon to be 55) I own, want to read, but haven't yet read. I'd love to cut that number down to something a little more manageable - and, generally, I'd love to read more than I have done in past years, which this goal should help with :P So 50 will be the target to reach, but honestly given my previous attempts, I'd be happy to hit 30 :P:P

Also, I'd love to get back into reading German books properly - non-dual-language versions, proper ones. I own some, but my German's rusted badly over the years, and it's a goal of mine for this year (as well as involving a challenge my family set me) to brush it up, so that'd be nice :)

I have a list, and the first three books imma read already on the go (finishing some off since last year :P), so everything's ready :)

Ahhh this is gonna be so exciting! :greenstars::hug:

• Like 2

PaulaTheProkaryote

Hi there! I'm joining this year along with my baby niece (she's 10 and would like me to stop referring to her as such but nooo). We're doing this one that she picked out:

2018-Ultimate-Reading-Challenge-2.png

I'll post both of our lists as we go along to keep us both accountable! :)

My list: in progress to be read

Spoiler

i've switched to just reading whatever so here's my list of what I've actually read so far: 

1. Get Well Soon by Jennifer Wright

2. 100 Deadly Skills: The Seal Operative's Guide to Eluding Pursuers, Evading Capture by Clint Emerson

3. Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky

4. American Kingpin by Nick Bilton

5. The Bone Lady: Life as a Forensic Anthropologist by Mary H. Manhein

6. The Theater of War : What Ancient Tragedies Can Teach Us Today by Bryan Doerries

7. Anne of Green Gables by Lucy Maud Montgomery

8. Whoever Fights Monsters by Robert Ressler and Tom Shachtman

9. Green River, Running Red by Ann Rule

10. On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century by Timothy D. Snyder

Jade's list:

Spoiler
  1. A book you read in school
  2. A book from your childhood
  3. A book published over 100 years ago
  4. A book published last year
  5. A non-fiction book 
  6. A book written by a male author
  7. A book written by a female author
  8. A book by someone who isn’t a writer
  9. A book that became a film
  10. A book published in the 20th century A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
  11. A book set in your hometown/region
  12. A book with a name in the title
  13. A book with a number in the title
  14. A book based on a true story The Candy Bombers: The Untold Story of the Berlin Airlift and America's Finest Hour by Andrei Cherny
  15. A book someone else recommended
  16. A book with over 500 pages
  17. A book you can finish in a day
  18. A previously banned book
  19. A book with a one-word title
  20. A book translated from another language
  21. A personal growth book
  22. A memoir or journal
  23. A book by someone from another country
  24. A book set somewhere you’ll visit this year Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
  25. An award winning book
  26. A book you read in school
  27. A book with a character with your first name
  28. A book with a place in the title
  29. A book set in the future
  30. A play
  31. A scary book
  32. A funny book
  33. A book of short stories
  34. A trilogy or series
  35. A bestseller
  36. A book you own but haven’t read
  37. A book about philosophy
  38. An epic poem
  39. A victorian novel (Jade wanted to do War of the Worlds)
  40. A book of poetry
  41. A book with a color in the title
  42. A book with an appealing cover
  43. A book about psychology
  44. A book about science
  45. A graphic novel
  46. A self-published book
  47. A book from a different culture 
  48. A young adult book Orphan Train Girl by Christina Baker Kline
  49. A book of nonfiction essays
  50. A book by an author you haven't read before: Ms. Bixby's Last Day by John David Anderson
  51. A book set in a country you’ve never been to
  52. A book set in the place you live today

Edited by PaulaTheProkaryote
  • Like 5

Recent Badges

victoria_anne

Woohoo, I'm finally joining! My goal is 35 but I'm secretly hoping it will be more. I'm usually reading three books at a time - physical, ebook, and audiobook. My Goodreads profile is here (12+) if anyone wants to be friends! And I'm always down to talk about books :wub:

1. The Swan - Tania Park

2. Roseblood - A.G. Howard

3. History Is All You Left Me - Adam Silvera

Edited by victoria_anne
  • Like 2

MuggleMaybe

GOAL: 50 books

Audiobooks are very much included because otherwise there's no way. :P I also want at least 5 of these books to be written in Spanish.

On 1/1/2018 at 11:17 AM, Aphoride said:

So, my major problem (read: not actually a problem, but something my mum and sister tell me is a problem for unknown reasons) is that I have 53 books (soon to be 55) I own, want to read, but haven't yet read. I'd love to cut that number down to something a little more manageable - and, generally, I'd love to read more than I have done in past years, which this goal should help with :P So 50 will be the target to reach, but honestly given my previous attempts, I'd be happy to hit 30 :P:P

^^^LITERALLY THE SAME, Aph! I have 33 books I haven't read, and I am really striving to read all of them by the end of the year. Although, several of them are massively long (e.g. War and Peace), so... yeah, we'll see. :blink:

BOOKS READ

1. A Darker Shade of Magic - V. E. Schwab (in progress)
  2. The Bear and the Nightingale* - Katherine Arden (in progress)

*audiobook

• Like 1

greisful

My goal is just to read 50 books this year, usually I set it at 100 but I no longer have enough time, nor can I read fast enough, to be able to hit that mark so 50 books will have to do. Good luck to me!

1. Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showlater

2. Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally Carter

• Like 1

ShazaLupin

I think I'm going to try this this year, just to keep me more accountable with my reading. I'm just going to aim for 25, just to try and keep it manageable and I'm also going to set two more goals for me! 1) To read more books than I buy :P Because that it becoming quite a problem for me and 2) Read more new books than re-reads, which ties into having too many un-read books :couch: 

1. History is all you've left me by Adam Silvera (in progress)
  2. It only happens in the movies by Holly Boune (in progress)

• Like 1

Recent Badges

BellaLestrange87

Yesss I love this thread!

I'm aiming for 60 books this year, which I think is a manageable goal since I read 70 something in 2017 and uni summer is two months longer than summer in high school was.

Currently Reading:

1. Cosmos - Carl Sagan

• Like 1

wandlessmagic
1 hour ago, BellaLestrange87 said:

1. Cosmos - Carl Sagan

AHHHHHHH Can I just say that I love that someone else reads books about space!!!!! It is literally one of my obsessions! Seriously I grinned like an idiot when I saw that!! 

My Goal isn't very awe inspiring to be perfectly honest, mostly because it becomes too stressful and I usually end up hating myself if I don't reach said goal which isn't the point of reading. So with that being said, my goal is to read about 20 books this year, which is extremly easy and I plan on adding to that goal once I reach it. I want to read more classics, middle grade, nonfiction and own voices this year. I also plan on doing some readathons this year (24 hour, a-year-a-thon, and Austentatious) which should help a lot with reaching my goal. (If you want to join the groups too they are on Goodreads...aside from the 24 hour, though readbyzoe on youtube hosts them a lot on twitter) 

Currently Reading:

1. It by Stephen King (In progress) 
  2. Harry Potter and the sorcerer's Stone (In Progress)
Edited by wandlessmagic
  • Like 1

Pixileanin

I just need to read.  Last time I purposefully read stuff, it was during the summer.  I averaged about a book a week, which was great, but then it stopped.  I tend to obsess over books.  They eat away my time and I end up doing nothing else but read.  

My biggest challenge will be to balance reading with writing, and not let one or both become an obsessive behavior.  

Help!!

• Like 1

Rumpelstiltskin

I think I kind of need  this challenge in my life this year! But, I'm going to aim really small and shoot for one-per month [12 books], which is going o be a big enough challenge for me!

1. Dark Places by Gillian Flynn (in-progress)
  2. The Ghost Files by Apryl Baker (in-progress)
  • Like 2

manno-malfoy

So I usually do the Goodreads challenge, but my reading has become slightly sporadic lately, so I could use the motivation (and the recommendations) in this thread. I'm going to aim for 25 books because every time I aim higher, I end up reading way less than my usual. So 25 is a realistic goal given the year that I know I have ahead of me. 

1. The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catheryn M. Valente (in progress)

• Like 1

Ineke
On 4-1-2018 at 1:34 AM, BellaLestrange87 said:

Yesss I love this thread!

I'm aiming for 60 books this year, which I think is a manageable goal since I read 70 something in 2017 and uni summer is two months longer than summer in high school was.

Currently Reading:

1. Cosmos - Carl Sagan

I literally cannot read the name Carl Sagan without getting the Nightwish song based on him in my head. Thanks for that! (it is a good song tho.)

OKAY SO. I am terrible at reading (well I'm not but last year I read a grand total of 2 or 3 books and the rest I read was fanfiction so I'm horrible in that regard) so I want to change that.

I am pretty sure that like over 60 books on my shelves are unread (though to be fair many of those books are trilogy's so I can't exactly read a book till I finished the previous one) and I am still busy reading five or six books simultaneously (and have been for 1-2 years shame on me), so I'd like to actually get... more read because I keep buying books and that ain't helping either. So... my goal is to actually finish more than 3 books :'D And preferably get my 'unread' pile down.

The books that I am and have been reading for ages are:

- One Plus One - Jojo Moyes (which also literally has the shortest chapter I've ever read and which basically only consists of 6 words (from the top of my head). I'm still amazed)

- Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (Ravenclaw Edition) - J. K. Rowling (bc rereads)

- A Feast For Crows - George R.R. Martin

- The Name of the Wind - Patrick Rothfuss (fun fact there is a song based on that too from the same Nightwish album :'D)

- Fool's Errand - Robin Hobb

- The Raven Boys - Maggie Stiefvater

So let's see how it goes!

• Like 1

Aphoride

Read: 

1. Istanbul by Bettany Hughes

Currently Reading: 

1. Five Weeks in a Balloon by Jules Verne
  2. Du cote de chez Swann by Marcel Proust
  3. Rubicon by Tom Holland

(Also, I now have 56 books I own but haven't read yet because I am a weak and feeble person who should never be allowed into bookshops :P

• Like 1

just.a.willow.tree

(Maybe if I post here, the world will magically shift time so that I can actually sit down and read.)

I'm going to be trying to complete this+ reading challenge here. We'll see how it goes.

To Read:

1. The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas
  2. Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
  3. The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
  4. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
  5. The Sympathizer by Viet Thanh Nguyen
  6. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  7. The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
  8. Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende
  9. Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson
  10. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli
  11. A Skinful of Shadows by Frances Hardinge
  12. The Soul of an Octopus by Sy Montgomery
  13. Emma by Jane Austen
  14. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch
  15. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

That's, uh, probably enough for now. :P

• Like 3

greisful

1. Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showlater

2. Don't Judge a Girl by Her Cover by Ally Carter

3. A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

4. Only the Good Spy Young by Ally Carter

• Like 1

Felpata_Lupin

So, I guess I'll give this a try, with the not-at-all-impressive goal of 20 books (like others, I really just need reduce the number of unread books on my shelf... :P) Let's see how it goes... :couch:

• Like 1

BlackPixie

Aiming to do a book a week at the very minimum - (read three books before the 5th of Jan :D)

1. Letter From A Stranger - Barbara Taylor Atwood
  2. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
  3. Girl with a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier
  • Like 1

800 words of heaven

I AM HERE FOR ALL YOUR GOALS - no matter how big or small!

10) The Sandman, Volume 3: Dream Country - Neil Gaiman

forever_dreaming

I have to read quite a bit for school, but I’m hoping to start small and read 25 books for pleasure :) 

Starting on Jan 12th with: 

1. Simon v.s. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertralli 

• Like 2

victoria_anne

1. The Swan - Tania Park

2. Roseblood - A.G. Howard

3. History Is All You Left Me - Adam Silvera

4. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin

BlackPixie
  1. Letter From A Stranger - Barbara Taylor Atwood
  2. The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood
  3. Girl with a Pearl Earring - Tracy Chevalier
  4. Philomena - Martin Sixsmith
  5. 18 Seconds - George D. Shuman
  6. The Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards

Currently Reading:

1. A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
  2. City of Bones - Cassandra Clare
  3. P.S I Love You - Cecelia Ahern

• Like 2

800 words of heaven
On 1/13/2018 at 1:41 PM, forever_dreaming said:

I have to read quite a bit for school, but I’m hoping to start small and read 25 books for pleasure :) 

Starting on Jan 12th with: 

1. Simon v.s. The Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertralli 

Books read for school still count! It's great that you have a separate reading for pleasure goal, but whenever you feel down by how much you can't read for pleasure, remind yourself that reading is reading :)

My list so far:
10) The Sandman, Volume 3: Dream Country - Neil Gaiman
12) The Screwtape Letters - CS Lewis
13) The Chimes - Charles Dickens
14) Deadly Intent - Carolyn Keene
15) The Double Horror of Fenley Place - Carolyn Keene

Edited by 800 words of heaven
  • Like 1

BellaLestrange87
  1. Cosmos – Carl Sagan
  2. The Female of the Species – Mandy McGinnis
  3. Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex – Mary Roach
  4. Misogyny Re-loaded – Abigail Bray
  5. Understanding Criminal Behaviour: Psychosocial Approaches to Criminality – David W. Jones

Currently Reading:

-Death and Deliverance: Euthanasia in Germany 1900-1945 - Michael Burleigh

• Like 1