Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out the Prefect Blog for the results of the Springtime Writing Event!
  • Stop by the Wizarding Universiade sub-forum to mini-game your House to HC victory!
  • The Crazies' Café is open for JulNo!
MegGonagall

Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

abhorsen.
1 hour ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

Oh, yeah, I remember those incidents. I never thought too much of it (possibly because I just refused to ship Zutara at the time lol) and I always considered those incidents where the writers just wanted the two to be good friends but without knowing how to write male/female teenage friendships without adding in some weird tension. I feel that sort of thing happens a lot in movies and shows. But yeah, I can definitely see the tension and how they never really addressed how to resolve it.

Yeah, they definitely did include weird tension where it wasn't necessary in general. There wasn't the same weirdness with Aang, Sokka, or Zuko with Toph, though - and while Toph was younger, so was Aang, and there was never weirdness between Zuko and Ty Lee. I suspect that the fact that Katara was pretty and slightly older and Toph was younger, grosser, and much more of a tomboy played a role, but still - it felt weird to me.

(I am totally coming off as a Zutara shipper right now and I swear I'm not. I like Mai a lot more than I like Katara! I was just annoyed with how they handled that dynamic, and also I guess Kataang <<<<< Zutara <<< Maiko? Because seriously.)

Edit: Also yesss I love that scene! That episode has so many great moments/lines. And ALSO I love that Ty Lee likes Mai more than she fears Azula - there's a lot to unpack there.

• Like 2

MegGonagall
2 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

2 hours ago, Renacerá said:

The "saving the jerk who dumped me" part is so fabulous. And I literally scream with happiness at, "I love Zuko more than I fear you."

I LOVE THAT SCENE. I'VE REWATCHED THAT SCENE LIKE 35830510 TIMES. MAI IS SO BADASS I LOVE HER

Legit just watched this episode about 4 hours ago. LOVE when she says she loves Zuko more than she fears Azula. It was just so satisfying to see Mai, and Ty Lee too, stand up for themselves. 

• Like 1

just.a.willow.tree

Mai and Ty Lee would have been unstoppable together... if the writers had given them more screentime to work with. After Mai's really, really awesome moment, I had been somewhat expecting a scene in which Mai and Ty Lee were helping to battle the army of the Fire Nation, or something like that. It would have been great to really see them pitted against Azula at some point, but that final agni kai between Zuko and Azula was so gorgeous that I didn't really mind too much.

2 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

And ALSO I love that Ty Lee likes Mai more than she fears Azula - there's a lot to unpack there.

YES. I wish so much for the Ty Lee and Mai friendship to have built up more. Ty Lee has basically been scared of Azula since day one, when Azula pulled that horrible "light everything on fire" trick on her at the circus. So to see her stand up for Mai like this... I loved it.

• Like 1

abhorsen.

So I think there's one big question we haven't covered yet.

You're a bender. What kind of bender are you? :P

I'm fire all the way, every day. It's probably a character flaw. Also, I'm literally the opposite of an airbender, which is probably part of why I find Aang to be fundamentally irritating.

MegGonagall
3 minutes ago, abhorsen. said:

From day one of watching that show, I’ve been saying I’d be a water bender. I’m probably least like an earth bender. 

Stella Blue
6 minutes ago, abhorsen. said:

I'm fire all the way, every day. It's probably a character flaw. Also, I'm literally the opposite of an airbender, which is probably part of why I find Aang to be fundamentally irritating.

Bahaahaha! Well, I'd like to be a firebender because I think it'd be really nice to be able to boil water and make tea in an instant. (My love of tea rivals Iroh's.) But in terms of what I'd actually be - Idk. My zodiac sign is an air sign and I do think my personality is the most air, so that's probably what I'd be.

I am also a fundamentally irritating person, so it fits xD 

• Haha 3

just.a.willow.tree
16 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

See, if we aligned Houses with bender types, I'd probably be an earth bender. But I don't like rocks.

I like swimming, though! So maybe I'd be a water bender. But I don't think that's how it works.

• Haha 2

just.a.willow.tree
Posted (edited)

CURRENTLY REWATCHING (very slowly) AND I NEED TO EXPRESS MY LOVE FOR THIS SHOW. I forgot how much the characters develop -- I am so looking forward to experiencing all their arcs again. The opening episodes were very silly and adorable, and Aang wanting more than anything else to stop everywhere and play with animals made me want to weep and give him a great big hug. 😭

A question! What are your favorite scenes? 😍 (Spoiler tags may be necessary depending on what they are.)

Mine has to be:

Spoiler

the final agni kai, because the animation (those oranges and blues, omgg) and the music are both absolutely glorious. 💖

I also wanted to share this adorable comic for those of you who may not have seen! It's of an adult Aang trying his very best to make Katara a betrothal necklace+ (M for Twitter), and even though I was not a particularly strong Kataang shipper, this comic made my heart melt. 🥰

Edited by just.a.willow.tree
oops I was a fool and did not actually put my spoiler in the spoiler
  • Like 2

MegGonagall

I just finished watching again 2 days ago. And yes! I absolutely love that scene so much. It really is beautiful! 

My overall favorite is probably this one: 

Spoiler

Prince Zuko:
Growing up we were taught that the firenation was the greatest civilization in history. And somehow the war was our way of sharing our greatness with the rest of the world. What an amazing lie that was. The people of the world are *terrified* by the Fire Nation. They don't see our greatness. They *hate* us. And we deserve it! We created an era of fear in the world. And if we don't want the world to destroy itself, we need to replace it with an era of peace and kindness.

Fire Lord Ozai:
Your uncle has gotten to you hasn't he?

Prince Zuko:
Yes. He has.

Chills. Every time. It’s just such a damn good scene. Also, I’m always a sucker for, “That’s rough, buddy.” 😂

I know nothing in this world is perfect, but this show comes really freaking close. I don’t think there’s a better written character, ever, than Zuko. Books, movies, tv shows, comics, whatever. Zuko is masterpiece of a character, and has everything else beat. 

• Like 1

just.a.willow.tree

"That's rough, buddy" will forever be MOST iconic. 😂😂

Ugh that IS such a good scene -- the way this show did not shy away at all from talking about imperialism and industrialization! I very very much agree about Zuko. This show is incredible at creating all these main characters who are so different but so heartfelt in their own way! 💛

It seems like a lot of us are doing AtLA rewatches in this time. 😂

• Like 1

VaguelyCreativeName

I also just did a rewatch of ATLA a couple of weeks ago (and I was watching it in the original english version for the first time, which was super weird after being used to adubbed version!) and I finished LoK for the first time literally two days ago! And I love both of them so much!!

I think my favourite character overall is probably Uncle Iroh because who doesn't adore a peaceful yet badass tea-lover!

Re: what type of bender we'd be, it's a toss-up between air and water for me - I think air probably makes more sense personality-wise, but I prefer the water aesthetic :P

On 12/21/2017 at 10:53 PM, just.a.willow.tree said:

See, if we aligned Houses with bender types, I'd probably be an earth bender. But I don't like rocks.

I'm also super curious about your thought process here, Eva! I think on instinct I would have said Hufflepuffs are air-benders (very peaceful, no attacking unless provoked), but I guess with their academic nature air-benders would also suit Ravenclaw?
But if I try to fully match houses and elements, I'm really having trouble to assign an element to Slytherin, so I'd love to see how you'd sorted them :P

• Like 1

sibilant

I have spent quite a while puzzling over which type of bender I would be...it’s difficult for me to decide, because I feel like no bending nation is a monolith (which was, in fact, a key lesson of the show, right?) So it feels weird to attempt to generalize, and I would absolutely love to hear people’s perspectives on that.

I’ve been told I give off water vibes, which I think is because I’m generally very calm and easily responsive to change (I’m very comfy with ambiguity). The association with water might also be because I’ve been told I’m a bit like Katara (which I respond to in the same way that I respond to people saying I’m like Hermione—i appreciate being referred to as an activist type who always fights for equality, but don’t appreciate being called a mother figure :P). 

I personally feel slightly more alignment with the Air Nation, since I think I tend to be very open to new ideas and flexible, and I hope easy-going? :P I think I’m also a very spiritual person (though perhaps that is not so obvious here lol) in that I believe that the everything in the world is connected and that everything is sacred and deserving of care and love.

Also I absolutely adore sky bison and want one SO BADLY

shadowycorner

I LOVE AVATAR SO DAMN MUCH I JUST GET SUPER EMOTIONAL EVERY TIME I THINK ABOUT IT! 😭

I remember ages ago, my little brother wanted me to watch it with him and I just grudgingly agreed to spend time with him but thought it was going to be just a silly cartoon and I watched I think the first couple of episodes, and it did seem a bit childish to me. Months later, I was on a study stay in Prague, it was the most difficult time academically for me, also the loneliest I've ever been, and I started watching the rest of the episodes on my computer and it brought me so much comfort and joy in those times.

ZUKO is just one of the most amazing characters in the universe, with his entire arc, agh, I love it so much. One of my favorite Zuko moments that I haven't seen mentioned is when they watch a play about them and there's someone distracting others by shouting: "Look, there's Zuko's honor!" I also loved Sokka a lot, he made me laugh, and Appa, and Iroh, and Toph and Katara, and SUKI you guys, she was so AWESOME!?!?!?

As for Kataang, I guess I was always a bit confused about that :D  I liked Aang having a bit of a crush on her, which would be normal, but have them actually go at romance was a bit weird since they were kids.

Ah, I do wish to rewatch it, but there's so little time! reading all your comments, guys, though, really made me want to do it :D

• Like 3

Recent Badges

poppunkpadfoot

i'm rewatching avatar right now too! i have to say, i find the first half of the first season a little less engaging, but things are starting to get really good. i LOVE appa, he's possibly one of the cutest animated creatures of all time! also 

3 hours ago, shadowycorner said:

ZUKO is just one of the most amazing characters in the universe, with his entire arc, agh, I love it so much.

ah, same! it's honestly the best example of a redemption arc that i can think of in... maybe any media? so well done and one of the things i'm most excited about with my rewatch!

also i think if i were a bender i'd be an earthbender. i can't really back that up at all, that's just how i feel based on ~vibes~ hahaha.

• Like 4

just.a.willow.tree
23 hours ago, VaguelyCreativeName said:

I'm also super curious about your thought process here, Eva! I think on instinct I would have said Hufflepuffs are air-benders (very peaceful, no attacking unless provoked), but I guess with their academic nature air-benders would also suit Ravenclaw?

Oh, this is an excellent question -- I'm not sure I could explain my thought process of two-and-a-half years ago. :P I think I picked earth-bending because that kind of magic felt particularly (and literally) grounded, which I think was soothing to me at the time ???

It's hard associating the magic system with Hogwarts houses, though, because now that I think more about it, the only thing that the magic seems to really be dependent on is your geographical location of birth / your genes. I'm not sure that Katara's personality is much associated with her brand of magic, for example, but it's definitely still a lot of fun musing about which one we'd be! I'd definitely like to be waterbending, because (1) Katara is cool, and (2) the aesthetic is quite nice, like Julia mentioned.

I LOVE ALL THE ZUKO LOVE. 😍 Uncle Iroh is so hilariously calm in the opening episodes against Zuko's raging teenaged self. Gosh, I love all the characters. Appa is so great!

• Like 3

shadowycorner
6 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

I LOVE ALL THE ZUKO LOVE. 😍 Uncle Iroh is so hilariously calm in the opening episodes against Zuko's raging teenaged self. Gosh, I love all the characters. Appa is so great!

Haha, yes, totally, and like...it was driving Zuko mental but was also really really helpful. I thought Iroh's actual 'parenting' was excellent because he never gave Zuko a hard time, never raged at him, he was always there for him and offered advice and wisdom in doses Zuko in his mental state could process. Their relationship was so....beautiful and I want to cry just thinking about it.

It makes me think of Tales of Ba Sing Se and how Iroh's little tale just ruined me. The thing with Avatar is that a lot of the characters just surprise you. Aang becomes so strong and mature very quickly, Katara has a dark streak, Sokka can be serious and sincere, Toph can be weak, and Iroh...you know, going from the funny silly uncle from the beginning he just revealed himself to not be only completely badass, but a character with so much compassion, taking his losses and turning them into more love and goodness he could put into the world, and...again I'm getting like a lot emotional here :D

• Like 1

Recent Badges

MegGonagall
14 minutes ago, shadowycorner said:

Iroh...you know, going from the funny silly uncle from the beginning he just revealed himself to not be only completely badass, but a character with so much compassion, taking his losses and turning them into more love and goodness he could put into the world, and...again I'm getting like a lot emotional here :D

Yeah, I can never make it through Tales of Ba Sing Se without sobbing. Especially since I know the backstory of Leaves From the Vine 😭

Spoiler

Also, that scene in the finale where he’s standing in front of the Earth King’s Palace, and burns down the Fire Nation flag, because he realized his vision about taking Ba Sing Se meant that he was taking it *back* from the Fire Nation. Just... ugh, such a great scene. 

18 minutes ago, shadowycorner said:

I thought Iroh's actual 'parenting' was excellent because he never gave Zuko a hard time, never raged at him, he was always there for him and offered advice and wisdom in doses Zuko in his mental state could process. Their relationship was so....beautiful and I want to cry just thinking about it.

He really did see Zuko as his own son, more than a nephew, I think. It really is such a beautiful relationship. There’s so many wonderful examples of how much he cares. 

Some of my favorite Iroh!dad moments are when he follows Zuko secretly during Zuko Alone, leading to the conversation he has with Tonks about Zuko.

When he’s super naggy in The Siege of the North, “Remember your fire breathing!”

When he asks how Zuko’s date with the fountain girl went.

The moment under Lake Laogai, “I'M BEGGING YOU, PRINCE ZUKO! It's time for you to look inward and start asking yourself the big question: who are you and what do YOU want?” 

How he comes to Aang’s house in Ba Sing Se for help when he’s captured by Azula.

And the one that always breaks me, “I was never angry with you. I was sad, because I was afraid you'd lost your way.” 

Excuse me while I go cry for 30 hours. 

• Like 3

just.a.willow.tree

Oh, I heard about the "Leaves From the Vine" story a long, long time ago, and I only just remembered it now that you mentioned it. 😭 It's genuinely heartbreaking (here+, for those of you who want to read a little more about it), and it gives that entire episode a whole new layer of meaning. Agh, I'm so looking forward to seeing more about Zuko's arc as I rewatch. 💛

• Sad 1

MegGonagall
54 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

Agh, I'm so looking forward to seeing more about Zuko's arc as I rewatch. 💛

I literally just finished rewatching it like a week ago, but since you brought this thread back to life, I want to watch it again 😂

• Haha 1

just.a.willow.tree
10 minutes ago, MegGonagall said:

I literally just finished rewatching it like a week ago, but since you brought this thread back to life, I want to watch it again 😂

DO ITTT 😂

• Haha 1

shadowycorner
12 hours ago, MegGonagall said:

Yeah, I can never make it through Tales of Ba Sing Se without sobbing. Especially since I know the backstory of Leaves From the Vine 😭

Reveal hidden contents

Also, that scene in the finale where he’s standing in front of the Earth King’s Palace, and burns down the Fire Nation flag, because he realized his vision about taking Ba Sing Se meant that he was taking it *back* from the Fire Nation. Just... ugh, such a great scene. 

He really did see Zuko as his own son, more than a nephew, I think. It really is such a beautiful relationship. There’s so many wonderful examples of how much he cares. 

Some of my favorite Iroh!dad moments are when he follows Zuko secretly during Zuko Alone, leading to the conversation he has with Tonks about Zuko.

When he’s super naggy in The Siege of the North, “Remember your fire breathing!”

When he asks how Zuko’s date with the fountain girl went.

The moment under Lake Laogai, “I'M BEGGING YOU, PRINCE ZUKO! It's time for you to look inward and start asking yourself the big question: who are you and what do YOU want?” 

How he comes to Aang’s house in Ba Sing Se for help when he’s captured by Azula.

And the one that always breaks me, “I was never angry with you. I was sad, because I was afraid you'd lost your way.” 

Excuse me while I go cry for 30 hours. 

First of all, how dare you?? Clearly you listing more amazing Iroh moments just made me even more teary-eyed. :D Also remember when he was just casually hanging out with Toph?? :D Because that was also pretty awesome.

The scene at Ba Sing Se when he was trying to properly and finally really honestly make Zuko see that he can make different choices, that was such a powerful moment. And the magic of the show was that Zuko still didn't listen, and I remember how it broke my heart, as it did Iroh's, because I really believed that would be Zuko's defining moment. But of course, in retrospect, I love the fact that it wasn't as unpredictable, and that Zuko's perceived fate and duty was so deeply ingrained in him that it took him much longer to realize what he had to do. Again, just makes his arc all the greater.

And then the last one, where they make up, and Iroh has no anger, only happiness. ❤️

• Like 2

Recent Badges

MegGonagall
7 hours ago, shadowycorner said:

The scene at Ba Sing Se when he was trying to properly and finally really honestly make Zuko see that he can make different choices, that was such a powerful moment. And the magic of the show was that Zuko still didn't listen, and I remember how it broke my heart, as it did Iroh's, because I really believed that would be Zuko's defining moment.

My brothers to this day still refer to that episode as the “What the Fuck?!? Episode.” Because when it originally aired, we were watching together, and the moment Zuko attacked Aang I screamed, “WHAT THE FUCK?!?” 😂

• Like 2