Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Good luck to all the NaNoWriMo participants! Don't forget to stop by the Cafe.
  • What did the golden snitch say when Harry Potter was itchy?
  • Quidditching!
MuggleMaybe

Bullet Journals

MuggleMaybe

Back in December I hopped on the bullet journal band wagon, and I am really enjoying it! Does anyone else use bullet journaling? 

I always get really excited when I make new pages, so I thought we could have a place to share photos and ideas :) 

I did my February spread tonight!

p.s. If you don't know what I'm talking about, the essential premise is explained +here

2018-01-25.jpg

2018-01-25-1.jpg

Edited by MuggleMaybe
  • Like 1

WalkingDredd

I’m trying to do a bullet journal for my writing/story bible journal 

This is what I have so far for my bullet journal for writing, I’ll upload the story bible soon :D 

529C2530-3D26-40FB-9A0D-9D754C6E3713.thumb.jpeg.fc51a9225614a68cf1b99ea925b1bee6.jpeg

this is a tracker of stories that I’m working on, and how many chapters I’ve done so far. (I’m still adding stories to it)

D7067AD5-B919-4249-809E-74176B030E14.thumb.jpeg.8bd935041b79c05e276f46124f081bc0.jpeg

this is going to just be random quotes I’ve found/thought of.

this is all I have so far :D 

• Like 3

PaulaTheProkaryote

I bought a journal and stencils for my bullet journal. I'm not using it as a planner like I think a lot of people do, but I'm using it for my original fic project planning. Y'alls are wayyyy cuter than mine, but here's a page from it (some of my foul language is scribbled out for the sake of the site....sorry): 

5ac95ba73218d_IMG_51432.thumb.jpg.f3e15f2f8bf989926225b98024211620.jpg

• Like 1

Recent Badges

MuggleMaybe
Posted (edited)

Tammi, I love seeing your journal! Sadly, Paula, your photo isn’t loading for me. But I’m excited to find another person who uses one, regardless!

i (belatedly) did my May spread today:

A131BFD0-08D4-425E-B81A-15792B9EDF17.thumb.jpeg.f78c950f8c1bda1c9357c9c0d2e92013.jpeg

Edited by MuggleMaybe
  • Like 1

Rumpelstiltskin

I've been wanting to do this for a while. 

This isn't a bullet journal, per se, but it's getting there :roflol: . I really wanted to put some effort into at least STARTING to work my way towards a bullet journal this month, so I managed to put myself together a mood tracker and a monthly to-do list:

201857_20210298.jpg.db3ce69686a14c05969660e644507a9e.jpg

• Like 1

ShadowRose

Ok how am I only just now discovering that this topic exists?? I am such a bullet journal junkie that it's almost unhealthy. Here are some recent spreads of mine  :P

IMG_5346.thumb.JPG.af6b9a6032058bc45ef06a7e3a421524.JPG

IMG_5344.thumb.JPG.700a818a5b3de5960ed2c3cabab0f33a.JPG

IMG_5345.thumb.JPG.c76d7d8511cfdc8bd57e60ca530c0df1.JPG

• Like 2

adorably cute

These all look great! I've been wanting to get into bullet journaling for a long time (to the point where I've literally bought a book and markers haha) but haven't started! Any tips for a beginner?

• Like 1

nott theodore

These bullet journals are so beautiful :wub:

I've been thinking about trying to get into it for a while as well, but I have a few questions some of you lovely people might be able to answer first?

How long do you spend on average each day using your bullet journal? Do you use it at a certain time each day?

And if you're a perfectionist, how do you deal with messing up writing/not getting a page to look exactly the way you want? (This has been enough to make me abandon notebooks in the past...)

• Like 2

just.a.willow.tree

I've been wanting to get into bullet journals for forever omg. My main concern it, I'll spend an inordinate amount of time each week setting up the actual spread, instead of spending time being productive. How long does each spread take you? :P 

• Like 2

ShadowRose
1 hour ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

How long does each spread take you?

I feel like this definitely varies from person to person (I've seen people on Tumblr who make these meticulous spreads that must take hours to do), but I timed myself once for the heck of it and it takes me about 25 minutes to do a full four-page weekly spread. Which sounds like a lot of time I guess, but for me it's this nice little thing I do every Sunday evening that just gets my head into gear for the upcoming week.

8 hours ago, nott theodore said:

How long do you spend on average each day using your bullet journal? Do you use it at a certain time each day?

Other than making the actual spread, no more than like 10 minutes per day, because at that point, it's basically just a hand-drawn planner. I like trying to be in the habit of looking at it first thing in the morning and just before bed, but I'm not always the best at sticking to that one. :P

8 hours ago, nott theodore said:

And if you're a perfectionist, how do you deal with messing up writing/not getting a page to look exactly the way you want?

For me, my bullet journal is basically the one place I'm allowed to make mistakes because literally, no one else will ever see it but me (unless of course, I post a picture of it like I did just now lol). So for me it's basically become this low-pressure situation where I can tackle some of my worst perfectionist tendencies head-on. (like, you see that "m" in may? I messed that up horrendously and it killed me at first, but now I barely notice where it's all wonky)

• Like 4

greisful

I've been wanting to get into bullet journalling for such a long time, I love seeing peoples awesome spreads all over tumblr and on instagram as well and the only thing that's been putting me off of them is that my calligraphy is T R A S H and knowing me i'd be put off if i didn't like my spread or messed up but you gotta start somewhere right? another thing that's been putting me off is that i'm afraid i'm going to count the pages wrong and end up like a week short, or overestimate and end up with 1+ more pages which I guess wouldn't be that bad, I could always just repurpose it. but i'm also afraid of what i would do with it once i was done because like obviously i'm not going to have much use for a planner but it'll be so pretty and i'll have put in so much effort that i'll feel bad throwing it away.

• Like 1

ShadowRose
26 minutes ago, greisful said:

but i'm also afraid of what i would do with it once i was done because like obviously i'm not going to have much use for a planner but it'll be so pretty and i'll have put in so much effort that i'll feel bad throwing it away.

I literally refuse to throw my old ones away. Which actually worked out in my favor when I went to update my resumé because I literally had all my weekly to-do lists for my various jobs written out in it, lol. 😋

• Like 2

adorably cute
56 minutes ago, greisful said:

I've been wanting to get into bullet journalling for such a long time, I love seeing peoples awesome spreads all over tumblr and on instagram as well and the only thing that's been putting me off of them is that my calligraphy is T R A S H

I just started mine maybe a month or a month and a half ago and I have ZERO penmanship skills! My spreads don't look as pretty as the ones people have on tumblr and insta but you're right about starting somewhere. And each week it gets a little better, because it's way more practice than I'd be getting otherwise! As someone who's a bit of a perfectionist, I was nervous about feeling upset if things didn't look right, but it's actually sometimes helpful to play around with different layouts right now, especially since I'm still new to it (which of course lends to more mistakes). 

If you're interested, I could send you some links to websites I found helpful for getting started. they give you some tips about pages and I believe suggest layouts. 

• Like 2

greisful
15 minutes ago, adorably cute said:

If you're interested, I could send you some links to websites I found helpful for getting started. they give you some tips about pages and I believe suggest layouts. 

If you have anything that would help guide those would be awesome , I've only watched 1 video on Youtube before I got distracted.

adorably cute

@greisful These three were what I found most helpful! This first one +here is to the actual bullet journal website and it talks about how to get started and it explains the whole concept of bullet journaling really well! It also gives you an option to put your email in somewhere and download this like, info sheet, about how to do it in a neat, concise way (and it's offered in a lot of different languages, if I remember correctly)!

This one +here (rating this one M because language) is from Buzzfeed and is a nice rundown of how someone started their own bullet journal. She takes you through the basics of what you would need, what the terms mean, and kind of brings you through starting it step by step, if you were to go through the entire post.

This last one +here talks a lot about the supplies you'll need (and is how I picked out the journal I use for mine!) and gives a similar run down as the article above as to different pages you may want to add. She also offers some good advice for first-time bullet journalers at the end of the post which was cool to read! 

In terms of personal use, I thought the first two were a little easier for my initial set up, but the third one had some really helpful tips! The last author is definitely a more seasoned bullet journaler and it's evident in the pictures, but a lot of the stuff in her post is really useful; I just found the first two posts a little easier to follow along when trying to first set up a journal.

• Like 2

Rumpelstiltskin

I'm still not 100% there to full-on bullet-journalling, but I'm still tracking my major goals

and mood

437833325_Screenshot_2018-07-18-23-19-44(1).thumb.jpeg.ab5a5d9f602c3b6b0aa26b9c6571c176.jpeg Screenshot_2018-07-18-23-43-46.thumb.jpeg.2cbf0d6a5f03a012d8aa6b32f733a1a1.jpeg

• Like 1

MuggleMaybe
On 6/11/2018 at 11:50 AM, ShadowRose said:

Ok how am I only just now discovering that this topic exists?? I am such a bullet journal junkie that it's almost unhealthy. Here are some recent spreads of mine  :P

OH MY GOD Taylor, how are these so beautiful?? LOVE THEM!

@Rumpelstiltskin Those look great! Are you doing it digitally? That's really cool!

@adorably cute @nott theodore @just.a.willow.tree @greisful

I started first with a "practice journal." I used one of those slimmer notebooks that usually come in three packs, so it wouldn't take too long to use up the pages. I used only black ink, and highlighters when I needed them. I didn't worry AT ALL about how it looked.

I do try to make my current bullet journal cute, and I sometimes invest a few hours in a spread, but I do it for fun. It's absolutely not necessary to do that! I think it's important to remember that it's not sacred. At the end of the day, it's a notebook, and notebooks are the perfect place to cross things out! Although, full disclosure, I also keep white-out in my pencil box  and I use it often. If you look back at the photo of my May spread (which incidentally is one of my nicest ones), there's actually white-out on both pages, but you can hardly tell. So I've become way more relaxed about mistakes. ;) 

Also, I'm extremely inefficient and I actually use a regular planner as well, because the times when I most need the day-to-day planner are the same times I fail to prep my bullet journal. But I am not the pinnacle of adult responsibility/time management so yeah ignore this.

As far as the table of contents and page numbers go, I frankly didn't bother with that in my practice notebook. I did it initially but it just wasn't worth the trouble. My current notebook is a dotted Leuchtturm1917. They come with a built in table of contents and pre-numbered pages, which is extremely helpful. They're super popular - I think Taylor's is the same kind, based on her photo.

I'm still trying to develop a really strong routine for using my bullet journal. It's hard because I was close, and then the school year ended and my schedule completely changed, so I've had to start over. Not that I'm complaining about the break!

Basically I agree with everything Taylor and Sarah said and I'm just REALLY EXCITED TO FIND OTHER PEOPLE WHO ARE INTO THIS :bliss:

• Like 2

adorably cute
12 hours ago, MuggleMaybe said:

My current notebook is a dotted Leuchtturm1917. They come with a built in table of contents and pre-numbered pages, which is extremely helpful

I use the same for mine! I like having a table of contents already made (one less thing I had to do myself haha) and the pre-numbered pages are also helpful because it's one less thing I'll accidentally forget when making a spread! Also, I like the dots since it gives a lot of flexibility for how you want to make your layouts!

I'm totally in agreement with Renee about developing a strong routine. Sometimes I do really well with using mine and then other times I just get behind and this is what gets put to the back burner. Like this week I got busy on Sunday and was a little upset that I couldn't make my weekly spread in advance but I really agree with what Renee said:

12 hours ago, MuggleMaybe said:

I think it's important to remember that it's not sacred. At the end of the day, it's a notebook

So if I get a little behind, that's okay (I just need to remember that)! And I definitely agree about crossing things out (and may also invest in some white out soon haha). 

Sometimes I'll practice my handwriting on a spare sheet before I write it in my book, but in general, I've kind of considered this journal to be a "practice" book. I'm still kind of experimenting with layouts and things that I like/don't like. Like I said, it's only been a little over a month and I already have found stuff that works for me and some that doesn't work for me so whether you use a practice book or use the journal you have now, I'd definitely encourage experimenting with different things (pinterest has some great ideas about bullet journal layouts)!

• Like 1

adorably cute

reviving this thread because I started doing a new type of spread this month and wanted to share! 

IMG_2952.thumb.jpg.dc079902434a68355b3cc9b5c7759622.jpg

I'm loving the easy, one page view and it's been super easy to make and keep up with!

ShadowRose

hi i haven't changed my spread at all since my last post but this week's spread was truly a whole new level of organized chaos, and i somehow have before/after pictures 😅 they look so much neater than i felt, lol

IMG_6858.thumb.jpeg.7f227b2fe43fee338a24425e61c1406c.jpeg     IMG_6953.thumb.jpeg.6c57465f6812e45045ceea5792dde43b.jpeg

IMG_6860.thumb.jpeg.5658d968913d79be22ddf31420315815.jpeg     IMG_6954.thumb.jpeg.dc91e25ce53891332a765add5d1f7cb1.jpeg