Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out this month's House Cup Activity!
  • Where can you find Dumbledore’s Army?
  • Up his sleevy.
dreamshadow

House Characteristics

dreamshadow

Hey guys! So @forever_dreaming and I got into a pretty interesting discussion last night involving each of the four houses, and -- you guessed it -- their characteristics! (This totally did not get sparked by trying to sort each of the main characters from The 100 and realizing we were sorting them differently... :whistling:

We all know that each house has their stereotypical characteristics: Gryffindors are brave, Hufflepuffs are kind, Ravenclaws are smart, and Slytherins are ambitious, and each house has their own stigmas too.  What we realized we saw differently was the fundamental characteristics of each house, and I've actually noticed this in trying to sort characters from other fandoms, too.  For example, Shreya saw sacrifice as a core Hufflepuff trait, where I consider it to be more of a Gryffindor thing (nobility, bravery, etc).

So we want to know! What are, in your opinion, the core characteristics of each of the houses? Can you see any overlap in any of the four?  Is this something even up for debate? 

:popcorn:

• Like 4

just.a.willow.tree

I have a super in-depth idea for each House, which I will definitely post later, but right now it's late so I shall sum things up. :P

Hufflepuffs: Bad at confrontation, good at hugs.

Ravenclaws: Too smart and curious for their own good.

Gryffindors: Their moral code is the first thing you see.

Slytherins: Independent and individual in their way of thinking, and very talented at strategizing.

I'll be back tomorrow. :P 

Edited by just.a.willow.tree
  • Like 3

Levana

Oooh! I have thoughts :P 

Overlapping traits:

• Gryffindor and Hufflepuff:
  • First, with the whole sacrifce thing: I can really see that as trait for Gryffindor and Hufflepuff but in different ways. I kind of see it that a Gryffindor would sacrifice themselves physically for someone (like in a battle type of situation). With Hufflepuffs I see is more as sacrificing their own things? or their own comfort for someone else (so if someone is like, "i'm so hungry I'm going to pass out." a Hufflepuff would be like, "here have my food." even if they are feeling just as hungry)
  • Loyalty: I see this soooo much for Slytherin. I think because Slytherins are so ostricized by the rest of the houses they have a huge feeling of loyalty for each other, so they feel like they can really only rely on each other. Gryffindor for this too; I see Gryffindors tending to have such unwavering loyalty, especially to anyone that helps then (unlike with a sytherin - because of how they're treated at Hogwarts I see them being skeptical of any non-slytheirn that tries to help them). For Hufflepuff I see it as a general sense of loyalty, not sure if that makes sense :P 
  • I also see the nobility thing as overlapping with Gryffindor and Hufflepuff a bit
  • Act now, think later: Gryffindors and Hufflepuff. I definitely see both as acting without thinking when they strongly believe in something or if someone needs help. So they're less inclined to come up with a plan. Is that the definition of rash? The difference here I think is that a Gryffindor would rush in and have no problem with confronting someone, whereas I think a Hufflepuff would rush in and then realize they'rein a confrontation and then just be like "Oh NO" (yeah, based that on me, because I will rush to defend someone and then subsequently get a panic attack :P )
  • Think now, then act: I definitely think that Ravenclaws and Slytherins will come up with a plan before doing anything. Because it's more logical to do. On that note, I see them working together really well. Slytherins are better at strategizing, but I think a Ravenclaw would be able to think of all the different outcomes for each plan.
  • Ambition: Ravenclaw and Slytherin
  • Curiosity: RAVENCLAW! I also kind of see that for Hufflepuff too.

I'll probably be back with more ideas, because I have many thoughts, but this is what I have for now.

Also what Eva said in her summary post above, I definitely agree with that.

Edited by Levana
I spelled hufflepuff hufflepuffle several times. I can't spell my own house, but I thought it was funny.
  • Like 3

Recent Badges

facingthenorthwind

Oooh, I have lots of thoughts on this, but I think the most important ones are:

Hufflepuff and Slytherin, when push comes to shove, will protect their own first

Gryffindors and Ravenclaws will go for the ~greater good~ (though in Ravenclaw's case, the 'greater good' is the achievement of knowledge)

I think Slytherin is a very loyal house -- but it's a really select in-group, whereas I think a Hufflepuff will be loyal to you until you prove they shouldn't be. Hmm, I'll have to think more about this.

• Like 1

Felpata_Lupin

Oooh! Such a great topic, Jill! :cheering:

I have ideas about this, but right now it's not the time to share (morning duties, getting ready for work and all that nonsense... <_<) but I will totally be back soon! :D

For now I just want to say that I loved everyone else's thoughts! :wub: 

Especially this:

1 hour ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

Hufflepuffs: Bad at confrontation, good at hugs.

Couldn't have put it better! :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kerney

Thoughts on Sorting---

The Hat is Socratic, With Harry, it heard "Not Slytherin" and it then tempted him, calling on his ambitous, Slytherin qualities. Had Harry gone for it he would be a Slytherin. Hermione came with a "Gryffindor sounds like the best" attitude and the hat probably challenged her ability consider Ravenclaw. A true Ravenclaw would consider but Hermione would not and it shows in her magic. While smart she is often dogmatic and passionitely attached to her positions. A Ravenclaw would be more willing to consider more possiblities. Since she didn't, she isn't. The Twins are probably closer to being Ravenclaw with their inventiveness, but it is driven by a passion that drives their creativeness.

Also, the hat never says "Oh a Malfoy/Weasley/whatever, you belong in X."  But Nature/Nurture usually create a pattern.

That said, I think in the "Next Gen" there might be more disruptions. Poverty worn well is a brave thing, encouraging Gryffindor. The Weasleys are no longer poor and the kids have the space to be more curious or ambitous, so I could see a few kids breaking the pattern. There are probably some cross house pairings like Neville/Hannah resulting from the DA.

Thoughts on Houses--

Hufflepuff probably has the best grades, putting in the hard work to learn.

Ravenclaw is probably heavier on curiosity, creativity, and inventiveness (wit). That doesn't always translate into good grades but usually creates great insights.

Slytherin is ambition and blood.

Gryffindor is passion and idealism. However it's down side is dogmatism/fanaticism.

Thoughts on The Founders

Godric Gryffindor died in 1066, either at Stamford Bridge in York (more likely) or on Senlac hill at Hastings.

Rowena Ravenclaw was raised in a convent with the intent that she become a Nun, which didn't happen. She, Helga, and Helena advised her kinsman, Macbeth.

Helga Hufflepuff was the oldest of the founders, and privately a Norse pagan.

Slytherin I have no idea.

grumpy cat

inspired by the onslaught of house twitter polls i decided to post here.

i really really hate the typical house stereotypes - and the one i see most often is that kindness is basically reserved for hufflepuff and like....they can be only kind and give out hugs which is ??? for me. prime example is zacharias smith. on whom i don't really have any particular thoughts, but he just came to mind. i also know that a lot of it simply comes from how harry perceives the houses so slytherins are always considered....if not evil, then definitely unkind <.< which also irks me a lot. one awesome story i've read that explored slytherin as a house is inconclusive evidence++ by @Mottsnave i fully admit i may be totally biased since i'm a slytherin, but still. i hate stereotypes.

and ravenclaw is also so often pictured as being cold and logical (and of course, intelligent) when...it just isn't always? luna as a prime example. yeah i'm aware that we're talking about generalisations but i get irked whenever i see the stereotypes at work :P so i'd love to know some more thoughts on the typical house stereotypes and especially how they're wrong. it's past midnight for me so i don't have too many coherent thoughts but i'm curious about other people's thoughts because yeah well, curiosity killed the cat.

MuggleMaybe

I think the house system overall is flawed in lots of ways. Any system that sorts people according to "types" is going to be flawed because people are way too complicated for that. But I also find the house system really interesting, and it's fun to consider different ways of understanding the houses. 

One of the things I think about is each house representing a set of overlapping dichotomies, sort of like two central guiding principles for each house. And, they're on a spectrum. I'm not sure exactly what these guiding principles should be, but I was thinking about it and came up with:

• Driven towards... self-realization VS community
  • Guided by... reason VS emotion

Which looks like this:

1489752524_ScreenShot2019-10-13at11_48_34PM.png.9feb0f67712eb72aae2094e0896d0f33.png

Obviously all these things impact everyone and this isn't a perfect system, but the idea of the house sharing qualities like this gives the sorting more flexibility in my opinion. Like you said, @grumpy cat, the stereotypes behind the houses are way too narrow and way too associated with moral quality. I think the idea that one house is in some way "more moral" by nature than another is ridiculous. Slytherin is historically less moral, but I do not think the base attributes of any house should be considered inherently bad. And when the houses share traits like this, it's easy to see why that idea of any house as inherently good or evil doesn't make sense.

As an example, consider the Weasleys: Famous for having a large number of siblings, it makes sense that the Weasley kids would crave self-realization. Just look at Ron's Mirror of Erised vision. And most of them are pretty clearly driven by emotion more than by reason or logic. Percy would be the exception, and it does seem reasonable to say he would have fit better in Slytherin - but Slytherin would not have served him because he would be a "Toxic Slytherin." I am brainstorming about how to incorporate this idea of "Toxic houses", and I don't quite have it yet. But for Slytherin, what I mean is that Percy has an intense desire for power, and that is the toxic trait for Slytherin. It makes the house that would naturally suit him best a danger to him because it would amplify the qualities than most harm him and the people around him. If a character has a house's toxic trait, they are better off in a house with the opposite trait.

Thoughts about this idea? I don't think it's a definitive approach to sorting in any way, but I do think it's an interesting thought experiment and I'd love to hear what other people think.

edit

im now thinking Ravenclaw and slytherin should be reversed in the dichotomy. IDK gang it’s late 😅

Edited by MuggleMaybe
  • Like 6

MuggleMaybe

Double posting to share my updated (but still WIP) version of the above chart

the parts in black are the toxic traits of each house.

820757152_ScreenShot2019-10-18at3_58_38PM.png.1f55d3032c70165b0a86c5a2129262cd.png

AND I also made this one which is different

334469270_ScreenShot2019-10-18at4_00_59PM.png.6dbd4dccc5018c880b86a32c5233fbc5.png

Edited by MuggleMaybe
  • Like 2