Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Our 'The Nifflers That Stole Christmas' event is open through January 1!
  • What did the golden snitch say when Harry Potter was itchy?
  • Quidditching!
Sign in to follow this  
BellaLestrange87

What would you do for a living in the magical world?

LadyMarauder

I know this has been out of action for a while, but I love this and often wonder what I'd be doing.

I would be a writer at The Daily Prophet since I'm a journalist in real life - but obviously am a lot nicer than Rita Skeeter! I would also LOVE to be a teacher, so providing I'd feel the same in the wizarding world, I'd go for being Charms teacher. 

• Like 1

Stella Blue

I'd probably be a Herbologist or Magizoologist, as that's essentially what I do now, but with magic!

Though I have to say, the Department of Mysteries always intrigued me and I think it'd be fascinating to be an Unspeakable. (But I feel like it'd require high level Arithmancy and whatever the magical equivalent of Physics is, so... it'd be a stretch for me XD)

• Like 1

galadriel

I'd probably set up an independent business to experiment with magical art! It would be so much fun to create magical paintings and illustrations that move. :D Apart from that, I'd want to look into the philosophies of magic and creation but I'm not sure what that would fall under... the department of mysteries maybe? 

Recent Badges

potionspartner

I'd like to be an apprentice to Ollivander. That job is so cool because you know everyone and, even better, understand a bit about them.

Recent Badges

Ineke

So while I work in a pharmacy right now, I actually doubt I'd be able to work as a Healer/work in pharmacy if I were to live in the magical world, simply because plants don't interest me much and science/cooking/making stuff was always my weak point at school (thank god I didn't need much science and making stuff isn't something that really happens anymore in my line of work), so I doubt my grades would be high enough to get into a job like that. (Plus Hogwarts Mystery has me going with 'see how the object is supposed to look' blablabla in Trans makes me go: yeaaahhhh I'd fail big time there bc I have a hard time just seeing things how they would/should be)

As of something else... I dn't know. I might work in a shop like Flourish & Blotts, because I love books and bookstores are the best, and maybe if I was like good enough in stuff like charms I think I might teach in that or maybe just like work at the ministry in a department that'd be good for stuff like that.

LadyL8

Just realized I've never replied to this topic.

This is actually a really difficult question for me to answer. In real life, I study to become a lawyer, and the closest I could get to that in the wizarding world would probably be working in the Wizengamot. That does sound interesting to me, but for some reason I just don't think I would work there if I was a part of the magical world. I'm a very curious person (too curious for my own good sometimes :P), so I have a feeling I would end up working as an Unspeakable just to find out what they're job actually is :P But I'm also one of those people that get very easily fascinated by things, so I think I'd probably enjoy working in the Department of Mysteries :) 

• Like 1

Rumpelstiltskin

You know, I too would love a journalling job for a magical newpaper / magazine. But I would want to do something where I would solve crimes on the side, too. Like a magical detective who journaled for a small-time newspaper.  I could solve all sorts of crimes. The Case of the Missing Time-Turner -- solved! The Escapee Niffler Who Stole Christmas -- solved! Who Vandalized Weasley's Wizard Wheezes -- solved! Who Ate the Last of the Pumpkin Pasties from the Staff Refrigerator -- solved, solved, solved !

Or, I suppose I'd like to work at Borgin and Burkes -- that place seems pretty cool. I mean, I would probably accidentally curse myself by playing around with the objects, but, you know, you win some, you lose some and all that. (At which time I can work on solving rather unusual mysteries surrounding the crazy objects in there). 

Sign in to follow this