Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Good luck to all the NaNoWriMo participants! Don't forget to stop by the Cafe.
  • What did the golden snitch say when Harry Potter was itchy?
  • Quidditching!
scooterbug8515

The Anything But Harry Challenge | Due 10 Aug 2018

scooterbug8515
Posted (edited)

The Anything but Harry Challenge

Okay so with there being a badge out there for the number of fandoms you write, I decided we need a challenge to push people out of their Harry Potter comfort zones. So for this challenge you need to write something other than Harry Potter.  Please read on for details.

Am I limited to a fandom? Nope, but know you will be judged on your ability to introduce me to the fandom.  I don't want you to make assumptions that your reader knows it.  Explain things that need explaining but don't do the dreaded info dump.

Are Multiple entries allowed? Yep! But there's a catch. Your second entry has to be from another fandom. Multiple people can write the same fandom but you cannot write two in the same fandom.

EG.  John and Marry can both write for Fandom A.
John can submit a second story for the challenge but it cannot be Fandom A it has to be Fandom B.

What's the catch? The world of Harry Potter cannot be used nor can HP characters be used. There are bonus points for fandoms you have not written yet and for the slightly more obscure fandoms.  Original fiction is allowed and will get the obscure fandom bonus points becuase the world is unique to you.

Is that all? Not quite, I want to see unique, unique fandoms, unique stories.  I want the story to grip me, I want it to be surprising and I want it to pull me into a 'new' world.  (Don't worry if you write in a world I already know - I am not judging on how canon you are just how well you present the world to a newbie) Clear pictures and images are a bonus as well, engage your reader, bring up a non HP fandom and tell a great story.

Also, no pre-writtens, additional chapters to an existing story will not be allowed. You can submit chaptered fics but for this challenge I will not be reading more than two chapters for judging purposes.

All stories need to be submitted to HPFT, and have "For scooterbug8515's Anything but Harry Challenge" in the description. (You can submit elsewhere but I will only read on HPFT).  Any rating within HPFT limmits.  

Please let me know if you are in and what fandom you may be working with. Entries due Aug 10

Prizes!

Everyone will get a review on their submission up to a second chapter.

1st Place will get 5 additional reviews

2nd Place will get 3 additional review

3rd Place will get 1 additional review.

*Prizes are subject to change but only to increase in awesomeness to make room for possible honorable mentions

Edited by scooterbug8515
I nearly forgot!  Prizes!
  • Like 6

just.a.willow.tree

I KEEP ENTERING CHALLENGES WHEN I REALLY SHOULDN'T BUT IN. (with the Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale)

• Like 1

scooterbug8515

I'm so excited to have my first bite for this challenge and even more excited to see a fandom I know nothing about.  I can't wait to be introduced to that world!

Spoiler

Takers

just.a.willow.tree - Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale

Rumpelstiltskin

Sign me up for a maybe, dear, and I'll try my hardest to get something in for it! 

• Like 1

Aphoride

Imma be a sneaky maybe with Hannibal :D:ninja:

• Like 4

scooterbug8515

Yay! Even Maybe's are fun!  I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with.

Spoiler

Takers

Maybe

Rumpelstiltskin - ?

Aphoride - Hannibal

LunaStellaCat

Ok.   Can this be original fiction?  I am trying to rip off that bandage and challenge myself. 

scooterbug8515

Yes - under "What's the Catch?"  I stated that Original fiction is allowed and it will count for the obscure fandom bonus points.

MuggleMaybe

In! Possibly also with books of Bayern bcs Eva and I are maybe the worlds biggest fans of that series. :P But it could change.

• Like 1

scooterbug8515

Yay!  I am now most curious about this series and can't wait to see what ya'll give me.

Spoiler

Takers

Maybe

Rumpelstiltskin - ?

Aphoride - Hannibal

MuggleMaybe - Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale

forever_dreaming

I’m a maybe with The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer, or Original Fiction (or The 100 if my muse totally bails on me haha). 

• Like 1

teh tarik

I am super happy to see this challenge, though...I have a horrible track record for completing challenges, but SIGN ME UP.

(will let you know if OF or other fandom later, when I decide on one) :greenstars:

pookha
Posted (edited)

I will be in with a fandom I've wanted to write for a while, Daria. It easily the best thing ever on MTV.

Edited by pookha

scooterbug8515
Posted (edited)

Wee!  I'm so glad and happy for the interest!  I am looking forward to all the unique and different worlds I'll get to travel too.  I was asked on my profile if AU versions of another universe are allowed and yes they are - just please state that what you wrote is AU and then tell your story just introduce me to you AU universe don't assume I know the original one either.  (However for multiple entries I will not allow a person to do Fandom B AU and then Fandom B Canon, one or the other and then you need to write another fandom.)

Spoiler

Takers

teh tarik - OF or DBD fandom

pooka - Daria

Maybe

Rumpelstiltskin - ?

Aphoride - Hannibal

forever_dreaming - Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer or OF (maybe 100)

Edited by scooterbug8515

just.a.willow.tree

I just wanted to give a head's up that I might write an entry in the Percy Jackson fandom as well. An idea has wormed its way into my head and it won't get out. :P

• Like 1

victoria_anne

I'm in with a missing moment - or something - from Hartwood Academy (my OF) ^_^

scooterbug8515

Oh a fandom I sort of know (I've not finished reading all the Percy Jackson books), still I look forward to seeing how you introduce a reader to the world!  Also OF is lots of fun and it is intriguing that you are working with an established universe of yours!

Spoiler

Takers

just.a.willow.tree - Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale or Percy Jackson

pooka - Daria

victoria_anne - OF

Maybe

Rumpelstiltskin - ?

Aphoride - Hannibal

MadiMalfoy

Considering I haven't even finished my novel yet, I really shouldn't be entering a challenge, but oh well!! I'll be a maybe with The 100 (The CW TV series)! Plus this also gives me an excuse to re-watch the first season!!

scooterbug8515

I love seeing people wanting to join the fun here, even if it is a maybe.

Spoiler

Takers

just.a.willow.tree - Books of Bayern by Shannon Hale or Percy Jackson

pooka - Daria

victoria_anne - OF

Maybe

Rumpelstiltskin - ?

Aphoride - Hannibal

MadiMalfoy - The 100

Phoenix Potioneer

I will be a maybe for Doctor Who (despite my incredible love for it, I've never actually written anything for it).

just.a.willow.tree

I got way too excited for this challenge, so here's the first chapter of my Percy Jackson entry :P

spartan (M)

scooterbug8515
Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2018 at 8:09 PM, Phoenix Potioneer said:

I will be a maybe for Doctor Who (despite my incredible love for it, I've never actually written anything for it).

I totally get you on this!  I am a huge Doctor Who nerd as well but I've only ever in recent past managed a fic for the show.  I hope you do manage something it will be overestimating to read!

20 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

I got way too excited for this challenge, so here's the first chapter of my Percy Jackson entry :P

spartan (M)

EeeK!  My first entry soo exciting!

Entries

spartan (M) by just.a.willow.tree (Percy Jackson)

Spoiler

Takers

teh tarik - OF or TBD fandom

pooka - Daria

victoria_anne - OF

Maybe

Rumpelstiltskin - TBD

Aphoride - Hannibal

MadiMalfoy - The 100

Edited by scooterbug8515

wandlessmagic

Put me down as a maybe for Stranger things

Unwritten Curse

I'm a Maybe for Scythe by Neal Shusterman. I had a plunny while reading (which is rare), but I don't know if I can pull it off. The August deadline is reassuring, though. I am going to do my absolute best to make this work.

• Like 1

MalfoysAngel

I'll be a maybe for either House of Night or the Inheritance Cycle...or OF I haven't made up my mind yet...