News Ticker

something wicked

something wicked

Because I don't know when to stop, and as promised on twitter, we have the supporting cast of characters! 

(Clink Names for links.)

Supporting Cast

Edited by something wicked
  • Like 1

DENI. I'm super excited for this!!! I clicked on the title and I was like "ooh I'm excited to finally discover what this fic is about, the tagline is so good" and then I started reading the summary and I was like ".... I beta'd the first chapter of this". I remembered in the end and that's what counts I guess :P  If you ever want me to beta any other chapters just chuck 'em my way. ❤️ 

I have a few questions but I will probably come back with more!

1. Does Rona's mum get a redemption arc? You are allowed to refuse to answer this question for spoilers reasons. Wait, no, I just reread the first chapter and I'd like to change my question: Does she need a redemption arc? Will their relationship improve? 

2. What happened last year that completely disbanded the quidditch team? I! want! goss!

3. This isn't a question but I'm so sad that the prof made her drop all those subjects. :( Sure, she should have dropped some because clearly she wasn't coping with the workload, but there was room for negotiation. Plus, A is a pass! Give her a break!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

@facingthenorthwind EMMA! I'm super excited that you're super excited! Lol yes, I think you said that the first time you read it as well ? If I need another one looked over i will be sure to call on your assistance. (I promise it will all be in the right tense this time ?)

1. Does Rona's mum get a redemption arc? You are allowed to refuse to answer this question for spoilers reasons. Wait, no, I just reread the first chapter and I'd like to change my question: Does she need a redemption arc? Will their relationship improve? 

Ooo I love this! The story is from Rona's POV, so in her eyes her mum probably does need a redemption arch. But from a more objective view? Maybe not. Their relationship will evolve as the story goes on so I wont say too much on that. ?

2. What happened last year that completely disbanded the quidditch team? I! want! goss!

Two words: Dominique Weasley. (My love for this character is unparalleled.) 

3. This isn't a question but I'm so sad that the prof made her drop all those subjects.  Sure, she should have dropped some because clearly she wasn't coping with the workload, but there was room for negotiation. Plus, A is a pass! Give her a break!!! 

I know, right!! She probably would have gotten away with more if she had actually fought a bit more for it but alas... She gave up! But the subjects she still has will be good for her. Potions and HoM especially... ?

• 4 weeks later...

hey deni!

1. what is the first thing you do when it comes to developing a new story?

2. what has inspired you to work on more angsty/dark material recently?

3. who is your fave OC that you've ever created?

4. what would you say is your biggest's strength as a writer?

5. if you could date one character in the fandom, who would it be? 

happy holidays, deni! ?

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Deni! I'm here for gift giving, but also because I can't get enough of Yaxley, it's my favourite story at the moment! So here are a few questions.

1. How long are you planning Yaxley to be and do you know how it ends? 
  2. What do you like most about Cassie as a character - is she based on anyone you know?
  3. The thestrals are a really important element of her and the story, was that something you always wanted to incorporate or did that evolve as you wrote the story?
  4. What would you do for a job in the magical world?

xx

• Like 1

Hey, I'm here to fulfill a wish! Kinda like a Genie. Except not.

1. You you could spend one day with any character who would it be and what would you do?
  2. What's your fav fandom outside of Harry Potter?
  3. What idea do you think you'll tackle next?
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Rumpelstiltskin

Deni, I have arrived for your interrogation ? :

giphy.gif.f65044bad3bc479c228d0f7063be7cef.gif

1. What prompted you to spin-off a Regulus-perspective fic from Yaxley? What is your favorite part about writing it from this perspective? Does it help at all further explore your Yaxley verse and the characters connected therein?
  2. Coming from a Pureblood family with very Pureblood beliefs (including the overall damnation of Muggles and Muggle-borns), Cassie is able to level with Sirius on those experiences. Unlike Sirius, Cassie has so far been hesitant to hop on the same fighting train as Sirius, and she seems to be much more content on avoiding choosing a side altogether. It has had an effect on her friendships (on both sides) and is clearly taking a toll on her mental health. So, why do you suppose Cassie is so undecided? What's holding her back? 
  3. Are we ever going to get a taste of Sirus x Cassie action or will they both forever be too stubborn to see that they're half-in-love with each other?
  4. How do you suppose Cassie will be able to overcome her avoidance issues?
  5. What is the most frustrating part of writing Yaxley? Which character do you just want to shake up a bit? What is the most exciting part and/or what character do you like writing the most in this specific story?

o/ 

• 1 month later...

Wow I've been neglecting this for a long time. Thank you guys for the questions!! You're all so sweet so thank you for stopping by and taking the time to ask some things!  I love you all ??❤️ Here I go trying to answer them all in one loooong post...

@Crimson Quill  

1. What is the first thing you do when it comes to developing a new story?

Go straight to Pinterest! (Yeah... Seriously...) I always find that having visual aids can help me build up a picture of something and hold it while I work out the details for myself, before I even start developing plot. I'll generally start with one character and an idea. Once I've got a lot of scribbled notes and a character board with about 150+ (M rating on this!) things pinned in it then I start to work a plot around the character. This usually involves a lot of long nights, tea, chocolate and multicoloured post-it-notes! 

2. What has inspired you to work on more angsty/dark material recently?

Ahhh... I'm not really sure? I think as I started to get a bit more confident with my writing I just pushed myself more with what I was writing. Making a conscious decision to focus on my descriptions was one thing that inspired the darker route because I think they go together quite nicely. The angst came from a similar route of seeing how far I could push writing characters when they were at emotional extremes and if it still, i don't know, worked? Having a WIP that involves murder and lots of death certainly helped with both of those though! ?

3. Who is your fave OC that you've ever created?

ABBI HOW COULD YOU ASK THAT I COULD NOT POSSIBLY PICK I LOVE THEM ALL EQUALLY!!!  But yeah... Cassie. She's my OG OC and I've spent so much time developing her that I couldn't say anyone else but her. I do love Rona as well though, she's got a lot to her that I've not dug into yet in Revival and I cant wait for people to discover a bit more about her. 

4. What would you say is your biggest's strength as a writer?

Developing characters or descriptions, maybe? After years of working in theatre I've been trained to be able to get inside the head of a character so I'd hop I'm alright at that  ? descriptions because... I just generally enjoy writing them? Does that count? 

5. If you could date one character in the fandom, who would it be? 

Dammit this is hard... Agh - I'd have to go for Oliver Wood. I don't know why but he's the first one that came to mind and I'm sticking with that ?

@LadyMarauder

1. How long are you planning Yaxley to be and do you know how it ends? 

Yaxley on it's on will be about 21/22 chapters long. The series however... There is at least two more (one sequel to Yaxley covering the end of the First WW and then a prequel about another Yaxley that's set when Tom Riddle was at school.) but we'll see after that! 

2. What do you like most about Cassie as a character - is she based on anyone you know?

I guess she's based a little bit off of me? But I think that's unavoidable when creating OCs. Despite that (and i'm not sure what this says about me given what i've just said ?) what I like the most about her is the fact she's totally flawed, it makes her so much more interesting to write. Shes not necessarily a "nice" character, like I hope that people like her despite her flaws, but its the fact shes a grumpy, slightly arrogant, showoff who runs away from her feelings and her emotions which makes her her. 

3. The thestrals are a really important element of her and the story, was that something you always wanted to incorporate or did that evolve as you wrote the story?

The thestrals are probably the main aspect of the story that has been in since the start, along with their significance. They've always been the main creature from the books that totally fascinated me when i read about them and i dont know, something about having a character who could see them but also have this weird ~ connenction? ~ thing about them was something I wanted to write about. 

4. What would you do for a job in the magical world?

I would LOVE to be the Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor. So something that could lead down that path? Another viable option would be a journalist so maybe Witch Weekly or something less skeeterish? 

@Shadowkat678

1. You you could spend one day with any character who would it be and what would you do?

Minerva McGonagall. She's a badass witch who's seen a lot and lived through a lot and she likes sports (well... quidditch at least) and she's from just down the road from me. I reckon if we went and watched a game and maybe a had a few drinks (shes Scottish... she drinks) then i'd have a pretty good day hearing stories and generally just hanging out with a legend. 

2. What's your fav fandom outside of Harry Potter?

A Song Of Ice And Fire - easily. It's probably one of the few other fandoms that I am super invested in and have stayed that way for a long time. 

3. What idea do you think you'll tackle next?

Original Fiction! I've had an idea brewing for a while now and started working on world-building a while back, recently I've had a push because of a challenge so I may get some up on the archive sooner rather than later ?

@Rumpelstiltskin

1. What prompted you to spin-off a Regulus-perspective fic from Yaxley? What is your favourite part about writing it from this perspective? Does it help at all further explore your Yaxley verse and the characters connected therein?

The Regulus spin-off appeared when all of my wee Slytherin boys started to get too much of a personality. Regulus has always been so clear in my head but then suddenly he had a love interest and further conflict there, and then there was Eddie and the hidden side to him that we don't really see in Yaxley and.... there was so much that it had to happen. then it did and it just opened up more avenues of discovery. So yes, it really helped me flesh out more of my background characters and in a way it helped me give a more human side to some of my villains in the story, which is always a good thing when you like to write angst! 

2. Coming from a Pureblood family with very Pureblood beliefs (including the overall damnation of Muggles and Muggle-borns), Cassie is able to level with Sirius on those experiences. Unlike Sirius, Cassie has so far been hesitant to hop on the same fighting train as Sirius, and she seems to be much more content on avoiding choosing a side altogether. It has had an effect on her friendships (on both sides) and is clearly taking a toll on her mental health. So, why do you suppose Cassie is so undecided? What's holding her back? 

So this is the way I've always seen it - There is one big difference between Sirius and Cassie's (otherwise very similar) childhoods that shapes their different outlooks. Sirius was unhappy at home and Cassie was. The Black family dynamics are pretty well established and Sirius was always wanting to set himself apart from his family. Cassie however, grew up in a house with a sister who she was close to with parents who loved each other and their kids - the death eaters were around but they weren't these dark, scary figures to her, they were her friend's parents and her family, her uncle and her parents. To me the reason why it takes her longer than Sirius to pick a side or let go, even once shes older, better educated and she knows better, is because she genuinely has happy memories of her family and all of these people. She has bonds with them that are a bit harder to break. (wow this was longer than expected) 

3. Are we ever going to get a taste of Sirius x Cassie action or will they both forever be too stubborn to see that they're half-in-love with each other?

You'll have to wait (a few more chapters... only a few...) and see! ?

4. How do you suppose Cassie will be able to overcome her avoidance issues?

By being left with no other option but to face them ?

5. What is the most frustrating part of writing Yaxley? Which character do you just want to shake up a bit? What is the most exciting part and/or what character do you like writing the most in this specific story?

Ahahahahahacassiesentirepersonalitybecausedammitgirl! Ahem... yeah. Cassie is one of these characters who is both so easy to write (partly because I've been doing it for well over a year now) but also so difficult because she's established as very very stubborn - meaning when i want to write her doing something somehow she just... won't? It keeps things interesting to say the least. Characters taking on a life of their own in Yaxley is an issue in general ? 

• 3 weeks later...

36599907_1887577084633659_5404013197122338816_n.png.01c64bb4259cc1f8a93a8ea3fe8b4c76.png

beautiful banner by @starbuck 

+clicky

It recently occurred to me that I've never just focused on my main novel for NaNo. It was also recently pointed out that once upon a time I said I wanted to finish this story by May. So, following my pattern of being wildly optimistic with time and my writing speed... For Camp NaNo I will be finishing Yaxley.

(...yeah, we'll see.)

Summary:

Cassiel Yaxley starts her Seventh Year at Hogwarts attacked from both sides. Her sympathies lie with one, her family are on the other.

Haunted by dark wings and hunted by people she once called friends, there's only one thing she's sure of: Sirius Black should be avoided at all costs. 

Characters:

• Cassiel Yaxley: Living in the moral grey area and walking the fine line between both sides for the First Wizarding War. Cassie has secrets that she would like to stay secret, and is willing to do as much as it takes to stop them getting out. As gifted in duels as she is on the quidditch pitch. Has an unlikely connection to a certain magical creature. 
  • Sirius Black: Our arrogant little hothead. Godric's gift to Gryffindor, at least according to him. An intelligent idiot, a flirt, knows his own mind and isn't afraid to share his opinions. Childhood friend of Cassie but since starting at Hogwarts their relationship has become nonexistent at best and violent at worst. 
  • Edmund Avery: Wannabe Death Eater. The ringleader and the brains behind the growing gang at Hogwarts. Ruthless and manipulative. Has a soft spot for a certain Gryffindor. Also appears in Regulus Black spin-of oneshot
  • Emmeline Vance: One of Cassie's best friends. Loud, feisty, melodramatic. She'd protect her friends with her life and complain about it the whole time. Likes chocolate, doesn't like transfiguration homework. 
  • Lily Evans: The mum friend. Always worrying, always caring. Has a rebellious streak that's buried deep but starts to show under the influence of James Potter, who she does not fancy... that much. 
  • James Potter: A brother to Sirius, a best friend to Cassie, a growing love interest to Lily. Is afraid of ducks. 
  • Sophie Moore: Grieving for her best friend. Suspicious and paranoid. Clinging to Sirius for support. Doesn't trust Cassie as far as she could throw her. 
  • Remus Lupin: Supposedly the sensible friend. Keeping secrets. 
  • Peter Pettegrew: The small one that follows Sirius Black about. His existence hardly matters to Cassie and has absolutely no impact on her life. 
  • Leila Yaxley: Cassie's older sister. Keeps to the family line, knows exactly what she wants out of life and very nearly has it all. Trusts that everything wrong with her family will magically be fixed should the Dark Lord rise to power. Hopelessly naive. 

Plot: 

Cassie Yaxley can see thestrals, this has been true for years. When a Hogwarts student is murdered and the Wizarding War starts cheeping into the castle Cassie must make a choice: Side with her family, her oldest friends, rise through the Death Eater ranks, protect her secrets and be a true Yaxley... or turn her back on it all. Time is ticking away and our hesitant protagonist must learn she cannot run away from her problems, at some point she must turnaround and face them*

*him.  

NaNo: 

Soooo... With any luck I'll do about 25k for NaNo, broken down into five chapters and an epilogue which would mean I ACTUALLY FINISHED A STORY ? (sort of... this story got a looooot more to go) but more realistically I'll be happy if I can manage three chapters! We are currently at the peak of angsty intensity at the so there is some exciting stuff happening. If only I could actually like... write it all down? That would be nice. 

Edited by Sleepingbagonthesofa
  • Like 5

1.  Are you feeling emotional about coming towards the end of Yaxley?

2. Yaxley recently did really well in the FROGs - how do you feel about the reception that it's gotten?

3. Is there anything that you will do to celebrate when you finish Yaxley?

4. When you finish Yaxley, will you focus on other projects for a while before going onto the sequel?

5. Can you give as any hints about the sequel? ?

YOU CAN DO THIS. I BELIEVE IN YOU.

:gryffindor:

• Thanks 1

So. Having read through Yaxley in one sitting (I. could. not. stop.) this morning, I have questions! ^_^ 

1. Do you have the rest of this planned out, and the sequel, or are you planning it now/during NaNo? 

2. Who is your favourite character (other than Cassie) to write? 

3. Other than the spin-off about Regulus, do you have any spin-offs in the works? 

4. Will you be posting as you go? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Crimson Quill said:

1.  Are you feeling emotional about coming towards the end of Yaxley?

2. Yaxley recently did really well in the FROGs - how do you feel about the reception that it's gotten?

4. When you finish Yaxley, will you focus on other projects for a while before going onto the sequel?

5. Can you give as any hints about the sequel? ?

YOU CAN DO THIS. I BELIEVE IN YOU.

:gryffindor:

Abbbiiii!!! Thank you for stopping by and the questions! ?

1. Are you feeling emotional about coming towards the end of Yaxley? 

Yes and no. Yes because it's been a year and a half coming and the scenes themselves are getting a bit more emotional to write, but also no because it doesn't really seem real. Like I've said, I'm a slow writer so for all I know I could be here again in the summer lol. 

2. Yaxley recently did really well in the FROGs - how do you feel about the reception that it's gotten

Umm okay. Wow. So, when I started this story I wasn't in any way a part of this community. I read fic, I left anon reviews occasionally but I didn't know anything about FROGs or anything like that. I just started to write something for myself, and then posted it because why not?  The story has evolved as time went on but the idea that other people actually read the stuff I come out with is a bit ridiculous and the fact anyone nominated or voted for it is super super weird. So I think the way to sum up how I feel about it is humbled and very confused lol. 

Ahahaha - pour myself a big glass of something strong and write Revival for a solid month!

Yes, for a bit at least. I want to get a wee bit of Revival written (see question three) and some of my Tom Riddle fic up. After that I can crack on with the sequel and let you all know how this all ended ? If i finsih this on scedule then maybe I'll start the sequel for JulNo?

5. Can you give as any hints about the sequel? ?

There's gona be a lot of green curses flying around. Oh - and some unexpected treachery. 

THANK YOU!!! I DONT SO ITS NICE TO KNOW SOMEONE HAS FAITH IN ME ?

4 hours ago, Aphoride said:

So. Having read through Yaxley in one sitting (I. could. not. stop.) this morning, I have questions! ^_^ 

1. Do you have the rest of this planned out, and the sequel, or are you planning it now/during NaNo? 

3. Other than the spin-off about Regulus, do you have any spin-offs in the works? 

Oh dear god, Laura why would you do that to yourself? ? Thank you hun, thats very flattering coming from you! ?

I know where I'm ending up and I know where I've got to go along the way, just the getting there is a bit up in the air! I'm not very good at sticking to the plans that I write so we'll see how this pans out! (the ending is set though...)

Eddie Avery!! He was the most surprising character of the lot, which has definitely influenced his story arch! He was never meant to be anything more than the evil other-love-interest of the story but then he got complicated and got real proper feelings and it just made him the most addictive character to write! There is a lot of him coming up in chapter 16, if thats of any interest...  :whistling:

I have so many spinofs that it hurts my head to think about. 

I have one main one in the works which is a prequel story about Tatiana Yaxley (Cassie's mum) back when she was Tatiana Dolohov and at school with a certain boy best described as tall, dark and terrifying ? It'll show how the Yaxley family got involved in the war to begin with and there might be a tiny glimpse of scary, baby Cassie! 

My main focus is going to be on writing but if I can get some edited and finished then yes it will be up as soon as possible! 

Thank you for the questions, they were a lot of fun to answer! Good luck with your NaNo project!! ?

• Like 1

Hey Deni! Just popping by to leave you some questions and encouragement. I recently (read: this morning) read the first two chapters of Yaxley and I'm excited to read more soon. 

1. Cassie and Lily are from such different backgrounds. Do you think that helps or hurts their friendship? Why?

2. Why is James Potter afraid of ducks? Is there a story behind that?

3. Which character do you enjoy writing the most? Which character is the most terrifying? Why?

Good luck & happy writing! 

Edited by TreacleTart

• 1 month later...

@TreacleTart Oh god it's been a while since I looked at this! Thank you so much for the questions and i am so sorry for how long it's taken me to answer! 

On 3/31/2019 at 7:27 AM, TreacleTart said:

1. Cassie and Lily are from such different backgrounds. Do you think that helps or hurts their friendship? Why?

2. Why is James Potter afraid of ducks? Is there a story behind that?

3. Which character do you enjoy writing the most? Which character is the most terrifying? Why?

1. It helps them. For Lily, I think Cassie can be a point of reference for the wizarding world, in a similar way that Ron is to Harry and Hermione. She's the info that Lily didn't have growing up. For Cassie I think Lily has had a far bigger impact on her in a very positive way, challenging a lot of deep-rooted ideals. If Lily hadn't come into her life Cassie would probably have ended up going down a very different path. 

2. Yes there is 😋 it's all in there

3. The character I enjoy the most is probably, surprisingly, Eddie. He went from being the stereotypical, fairly bland bad-guy to being layered, cool, clever and a balance to how Sirius appears in the story- while still being a bad guy - all in a few lines.  He was never meant to be a big part of Yaxley but after that first scene he just came alive. His scenes write themselves and every little bit about him is so fun to craft.

The most terrifying character is Cassie. She's the one I care about the most, who I put the most time into but she's also got so much swirling around in her head. I'm always so scared when trying to write about her emotions because I want to do it right, especially as her mental state shifts and deteriorates through the story. Having said that, she's my baby and I love writing scenes with her. Even if she makes me need to shut my laptop and walk away sometimes. 

Thank you again for the questions!! ❤️😊

Hey Deni!  Here with some questions for you!

1. You're on the home straight with Yaxley!  How do you feel about nearly being finished with the novel?

2. What's the most important thing you've learnt from writing Yaxley?  How do you think your writing has changed from it?

3. Which of your characters do you think you're most similar to?

4. You get to meet a lot of people with your job - have any of them ever inspired stories or characters for you?

5. Revival is a very different story to Yaxley.  Is it difficult for you to switch between the two?  Have you noticed any similarities in your characters in the two that weren't necessarily planned?

6. Are there any themes that tend to appear in your stories, intentionally or not?

• Like 1

DENI ❤️ :wub: Here with questions! :D 

1. When am I going to get more Not Without Ambition? :P 

2. How do you plot such intricate and clever character-driven-type plots? How do you keep all the sub-plots with different characters (like the Slytherins' side in Yaxley and their stories) straight? (Especially with all the sequels omg)

3. You've written a lot of different eras - Marauders, Tom Riddle's time, Next Gen, etc. - do you have a favourite to write? 

4. Is there a character/pairing you would never write? 

5. You have so many WIPs - how do you balance all your WIPs?

6. Favourite type of tea? 

7. What's your favourite thing or trope to write? Do you have one you just always find yourself writing regardless? (You know my atmospheric rain issues... :P

8. Where do you get your inspiration from? Is there a particular place or particular music or something? 

• Like 1

hello helloooooooo i have arrived to interrogate you 😋

1. which of your OCs do you see as most similar to yourself, and why?
  2. if you had to write a fluff fic, which characters would you write about?
  3. you've mentioned that james sirius in revival gets a bit of a redemption arc down the line, even though he is... literally the worst right now. will we get to see a little bit more of his motives for acting in such a *non-forum-appropriate-word*-ish way?
  4. are there any next gen characters in your revival universe that you haven't explored yet that you're looking forward to exploring in future chapters?
  5. will sirius and cassie get at least a little bit of happiness before you succumb to keeping this canon? 😭
  6. because you dropped the same question on me, when am i getting more revival? i miss rona dearly ❤️ (i will also accept yaxley and/or not without ambition chapters while i wait)

Howdy Deni! So...usually I read through every question and answer before posting my own, but your answers are so awesome and detailed and the subject of so many questions, it's very possible that I have missed something in my quest. Nevertheless, I shall carry on below!

1. If you had to assign a theme song to your major OCs, which would you choose for them? Feel free to use as few or as many OCs as you want.

2. All but one of your titles is three words or less. Is that a conscious decision/personal rule you use in titling or just how it works out?

3. What is your favorite theme on HPFT to read? To write? Why?

4. I have only collab-ed with one author. What was it like to collab with FIVE?

5. Lavender Brown. Dead or alive at the end of the Battle of Hogwarts?

There you have it. I tried to be unique and hopefully succeeded. Happy August!

• 2 months later...

unnamed jsp/oc romance

next-gen - post hogwarts

so here i am again, surprising no-one with yet another WIP and OC that have been buzzing around my head. i was planning on waiting to start this until after something else was finished but realistically it's the one project that i keep thinking about instead of working on anything else. so here we go... novel nest 2.0. new story idea. lets do this. 

I've really only got the bare bones of this story together but it's been gnawing away at my muse demanding attention for a while now. over nano i'd like to get the whole thing plotted out and write the first couple of chapters if possible, because of that i'm going to keep my goal at an achievable 10k and see how far i get. heres a quick look at what i have so far. 

plot. 

the story follows erin flint, a bitter, drunk mess reaching her mid twenties and still just as lost as she was fresh out of hogwarts. the easy life and social status she enjoyed at school are a distant memory and she barley recognises the girl she was then when she looks in the mirror now. struggling to hold onto a job as she watches all of her friends grow up and excel, she pretends she doesn't care that shes seems to be the only one struggling. that is until a particularly unwelcome bombshell is dropped, a wedding invitation that makes her rethink her future, bring her face to face with old grudges, mistakes and one boy who she had spent years trying unsuccessfully to forget. 

characters. 

erin flint (lily collins). our protagonist

olivia stewart (ashley benson). the best friend and flatmate, a healer in training 

james potter (darwin gray). an unnecessary complication, a rising quidditch star

dominique weasley (katherine mcnamara). an old school rival, climbing through the ministry ranks 

thoughts.

so a lot of the inspiration for this came from some of the people i know irl, all trying to figure out what they're doing and who they are while still having absolutely no idea. along with that a lot of this was inspired by nightmares by caitlyn scarlett  and dress by taylor swift among others. i've also wanted to work on a story with characters in their twenties (rather than teenagers) and set in the wider wizarding world (rather than inside hogwarts) for ages and this seemed like the right time. i'm going to post some of my progress in here as i go to force me to keep on track with something! 

good luck to everyone taking part!  

• Like 7

hiiiiii you know my feels on jsp/oc and you know my feels about your writing in general so as i'm sure you can predict i am excited as heck about this new story. :excited:

anyways! questions!

1. which of the characters do you see the most of yourself in? are there any that aren't like you at all?
  2. even though we all know coffee is better, what's your favorite type of tea to drink while you're writing?
  3. do you plan to post as you write or are you going to hold onto chapters for a little while?
  4. what excites you most about this new story?
  • Like 1

HELLLLOOOOO!!! ahaha yes i know how you feel about JSP, and i swear this version will be minorly nicer for you 😂

annyway, woo! questions! lets do this! 

On 11/4/2019 at 3:15 AM, down-in-flames said:

anyways! questions!

1. which of the characters do you see the most of yourself in? are there any that aren't like you at all?
  2. even though we all know coffee is better, what's your favorite type of tea to drink while you're writing?
  3. do you plan to post as you write or are you going to hold onto chapters for a little while?
  4. what excites you most about this new story?

1. i think, like with all my freaking stories, its probably a little bit of the OC but also with this one it's big time dominique. i think it's going to be pretty interesting to write that way because umm... erin and dom really don't get along and they've both got long memories with tenancies to be petty (not that that is in any way similar to me :ninja: ). the least like me is probably olivia, but that makes her funner to write.

2. so i've actually started drinking v strong black coffee while writing due to the smell waking me up faster than the caffine and me being constantly exhausted but... TEA IS STILL BETTER IN EVERY WAY!! but my favourite wintery tea is always a peppermint and coco (takes nothing like chocolate just adds something interesting), it's perfect for writing while wrapped up warm indoors. 

3. i'd like to be a chapter ahead before i start posting but hopefully it wont be long to get them done! 

4. showing the world outside of hogwarts, writing characters closer to my age and life stage, exploring a new character who has just had nothing go right for them and hates the world for it... it's endless. mainly though i'm just excited to be excited about a story again, y'know? it's been a long time since i've been this invested in my writing. 

Thank you for the questions dear 😘 i hope you like the first chapter when it arrives!! 

Hey Deni!

I thought I would drop by your Novel Nest and ask you a few questions about your fanfiction/story regarding James Sirius Potter (I'm guessing the JSP stands for that, correct me if I'm wrong though I did read the characters that would be in this fanfiction hahah) as well as give you some encouragement and motivation. Also I just read the summary and I feel like I can relate to Erin for the most part with having to watch my friends go on with their lives achieving many things while I'm still at this point still struggling or at least that part.  The inspiration for it sounds really great too as well as it's relateable and I feel that it could appeal to potential readers as well. I think it's a great idea in all honesty so I honestly can't wait to see how it'll turn out!

So anyway, onward to the questions regarding your story as well as NanoWriMo in general! 

1. Which character is the one that you can least relate to? Is it challenging to write them? If so, why? If not, what do you enjoy writing about them?

2. What has been the most challenging aspect of writing this fanfiction/story thus far? Why?

3. So there's this song called Colors by Stella Jang on Youtube and since I was listening to that, I can't help but ask: if Erin Flint was a color, what color would she be and why? I hope that question, odd as it sounds, made sense! ;w;  

4. What's your favorite thing about partaking in NanoWriMo and why?

5.  Is there any advice or words you would give to anybody during NanoWriMo and if so, what? 

That said, I'm wishing you the best of luck in getting to that 10k  (I'm also trying to do the same) as well as any other goals like being able to post it up and I hope that you'll be able to achieve your goals! You can do this! You got this! ❤️ :D 

Edited by starlitcastles
editted a question because of how it wss worded.
  • Like 1

i'm here to just casually make grabby hands at more jsp/oc *_*

giphy.gif

oh hey i thought of some actual questions 😂 what's erin's favourite (alcoholic) drink? does she have like...a dream job (that she can't get) or is she more in the line of having no clue about what she wants to do?

Edited by grumpy cat
  • Like 2

Hi, Deni! Here to be that accountability person, and see how you're tracking! And here's a question about your story: how are you planning to incorporate Erin's alcoholism into the story?

• Like 1

AHHH questions!!

Anni! Thank you for stopping by 😍

On 11/5/2019 at 10:49 PM, starlitcastles said:

1. Which character is the one that you can least relate to? Is it challenging to write them? If so, why? If not, what do you enjoy writing about them?

2. What has been the most challenging aspect of writing this fanfiction/story thus far? Why?

3. So there's this song called Colors by Stella Jang on Youtube and since I was listening to that, I can't help but ask: if Erin Flint was a color, what color would she be and why? I hope that question, odd as it sounds, made sense! ;w;  

4. What's your favorite thing about partaking in NanoWriMo and why?

5.  Is there any advice or words you would give to anybody during NanoWriMo and if so, what? 

That said, I'm wishing you the best of luck in getting to that 10k  (I'm also trying to do the same) as well as any other goals like being able to post it up and I hope that you'll be able to achieve your goals! You can do this! You got this! ❤️ :D 

1. So the least relatable is Olivia, and this makes her far easier to write. She's just got her life sorted, everything in an order, a clear vision and as far as basics go that's almost as simple as you could ask for. Obviously there's more to her than that but at the moment writing her is a bit like asking myself "what is the most sensible, obvious option here" and going with that. 

2. Getting Erin's internal voice right. I always find this when i get a new POV character. I spend way too long playing about with there inner monologue and i wont be happy until it's perfect. 

3. That makes perfect sense!! She's a dark, nightsky blue (which could either be in reference to a song or because i freaking love sky descriptions or because it just fits her perfectly... who knows!?)

4. It pushes me to write and guilts me when I'm procrastinating (like now!) in a way nothing else does. Really don't know if I'd be anywhere near where i am with this story without it!

5. If you miss a day it's fine and if you don't hit your target that's also fine. What matters is you keep going and keep writing, say you're aiming for 50k and you only get 30, that's still thrity-thousand words you didn't have at the start. Just keep writing, no matter how much or how little. 

Thank you love!! Good luck to you too! 

:hug:

On 11/5/2019 at 10:53 PM, grumpy cat said:

i'm here to just casually make grabby hands at more jsp/oc *_*

giphy.gif

oh hey i thought of some actual questions 😂 what's erin's favourite (alcoholic) drink? does she have like...a dream job (that she can't get) or is she more in the line of having no clue about what she wants to do?

KRIS!! I'll be ready to drop some jsp/oc your way soon hopefully 😊

So her favourite drink is Luxardo Maraschino over ice, or really anything bitter and cherry flavoured but this one's her favourite. 

So she's more like no clue about what she want's to do. Just floating and waiting for something to land in her lap and be perfect (and ahahahaha good luck with that).

8 hours ago, 800 words of heaven said:

Hi, Deni! Here to be that accountability person, and see how you're tracking! And here's a question about your story: how are you planning to incorporate Erin's alcoholism into the story?

Omg thank you for this it's actually making me write more lol! 

I'm currently on 2k so not exactly on schedule (but in my defence I have had a holiday and my 21st in the last week so writing has taken a tiny back seat) but I reckon I can catch up soon enough! 

So the story will definitely feature her drinking as a way to escape and not deal with her problems in a healthy way, and showcase her at her worst. Also just the fact that quite a few scenes take place in a club or bar with Erin in an absolute state brings it to the forefront somewhat. 

• Like 2