Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Good luck to all the NaNoWriMo participants! Don't forget to stop by the Cafe.
  • What did the golden snitch say when Harry Potter was itchy?
  • Quidditching!
ShadowRose

ShadowRose's Reviews

ShadowRose
Posted (edited)

Hello, and welcome to my review thread! I've been meaning to read more stories around here, and I figure opening up this little thread is a great way to do that. :P

What I'll Read:

• Only stories on the HPFT archives please!
  • I'd largely like to stick to HP and OF, just because I feel weird reviewing fanfic if I'm not familiar with the fandom it comes from.
  • Feel free to hit me up with any era/pairing (I do have a soft spot for next-gen, but I'll read absolutely anything).
  • All ratings are fine!

What I'm Good For:

• Dialogue notes. Dialogue is my (somewhat self-proclaimed) strong suit, so I'm usually pretty good at picking out when dialogue sounds forced or unnatural.
  • General plot/characterization/flow notes.
  • Love. No seriously, I tend to use a lot of exclamation points in my reviews because I'm just so dang excited about reading people's writing. I'll happily just give you and your story a lot of love and support. :hearteyes:

How to Request:

• If it's multichaptered, I'll review one chapter at a time (but seriously, as soon as I'm done, feel free to request for the next chapter).
  • I'm going to do 2 slots at a time for now. Turnaround time is, uh... inconsistent. Sometimes it’ll be done in a day and sometimes it’ll take 2 weeks. But it will get done, I promise.
  • The request form itself:
[b]Story and Author Name, including link:[/b]
[b]Warnings and Advisories:[/b]
[b]Genre[/b]
[b]Length:[/b]
[b]Summary:[/b]
[b]Ships:[/b]
[b]Areas of Concern:[/b]

Alright, give me everything you've got!! :loveshower: (And by everything I mean two requests, lol.)

Edited by ShadowRose
corrected to reflect my accurate terrible turnaround time

just.a.willow.tree

HI :wub: 

Story and Author Name, including link: you again by justawillowtree
Warnings and Advisories: sexual content, slavery, violence
Genre angst, general, romance
Length: 16,992
Summary:

Some people need only a single second chance at life to realign themselves with who they wish to be. Others require many more second chances.

This is a tale of the latter.

Ships: teddy/victoire
Areas of Concern: since you said you liked next gen, I thought I'd put down one of my only next gen fics :P it was written for the Soulmate AU challenge, and I just want to know your general thoughts on it! anything you liked, disliked, etc. thank you so much in advance :hug: 

RoxiMalfoy
Posted (edited)

Hey Taylor!! :waving:  Thank you so much for offering to Review!! 

Story & Author Name: Doing the Right Thing by RoxiMalfoy
Warnings & Advisories: None
Genres: AU, Dark/Horror
Length: One-Shot, 1,500 Words
Ships: N/A
Summary: Mother had always said that I was different. She believed that I was capable of doing the right thing. Whatever that meant...
Areas of Concern: This is a missing moment from my main Novel; Love, Not War. It actually takes place about 3 months before the events of the main story begin. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this before coming back to request more of the full story. It's rather short, so just feel free to point out whatever sticks out to you. Thanks again so much!! ^_^

Edited by RoxiMalfoy

ShadowRose

Both slots are open!! 😁

Rumpelstiltskin
Posted (edited)

Hey! \O I have an OF request, if you wouldn't mind taking a look :) . 

Story and Author Name, including link: Chapter One of We, Lawbreaking Citizens [M] by Rumpelstiltskin
Warnings and Advisories: Consent Issues (Mild/Moderate), Hate Speech, Sexual Content, Slavery, Substance Abuse, Violence
Genre: Action/Adventure, Crime/Mystery, Dark/Horror, Fluff, Romance
Length: The chapter I'm requesting, chapter one, is 3649 words.
Summary: 

The War revealed many truths about humankind...the most important of those truths is that all humans are innately inclined to violence and chaos. We are hosts to an entire horde of plaguing ailments like jealousy and greed and we lack the physical and emotional capabilities to cope with such diseases. That is how the War started. That is how the world ended. That is why there is a grand nothingness on the Outside, beyond the walls of the Sovereignty.

My name is Cyril Bernard and I play a highly important role in maintaining the peace and overall wellbeing of our wonderfully prospering society (despite what that Mark Van said because what does that peacebreaker know anyway).

Ships: Original Character (Cyril) x Original Character (Mark)
Areas of Concern: This first chapter is written exclusively in journal entries and because of this I was able to reveal information from a skewed perspective. What I really want to know is if you have a general idea as to what is happening (is there enough information provided in this chapter), while still keeping a bit of mystery surrounding the issues. I'd also like to know what your impression is about the characters so far and any other general feedback you could provide.  I do very well with bluntness, so if you see anything worthy of CC, please drop it on me :D. Thanks so much!

Edited by Rumpelstiltskin

Pen2Paper

Hey there! Hope you don't mind me snagging the last spot here.

Story & Author Name: Heaven Can Wait(M) HP Universe/ Marauders
Warnings & Advisories: Hate Speech, Sexual Content and Substance Abuse (Prospective warning)
Genres: Drama/ Romance
Length: Multichapter fic
Ships: James/Lily
Summary: An imagining of James and Lily's lives as they move forward from "Snape's Worst Memory" and the events that followed that led them to fall for each other. 
Areas of Concern:

I could use a little perspective on dialogue since you're capable of giving me an opinion about it. Also, I'd like to know how you like the characterizations and the plot. And of course, I could use some love. I will shamelessly admit that.

Thank you so much! 🤩

ShadowRose

Two slots available!! :yay:

Pen2Paper

Hi there! I loved your review so much! Would it be ok if I re-requested here? As you have the details above how about I drop the link?... Thanks a million in advance!  Haven Can Wait(M) for chapter 2! Thanks! 

potionspartner

Here's a slow burn for you. 

Even the Best Laid Plans by potionspartner:
Mature: Hate Speech, Consent Issues (Severe), Sexual Content, Substance Abuse, Violence:
Dark/Horror, Romance
51 chapters
Voldemort has returned and Severus Snape has survived his first meeting with him; however, his position 
is insecure and his loyalties questioned by his master.  Desperate to convince the Dark Lord of his 
obedience, Snape launches a plan to appease him. It should take years to develop giving Dumbledore and 
Potter the time they need to fulfill the prophecy.  However, when Voldemort changes the plan, Severus 
realizes that he has inadvertently brought a muggle to the attention of the Death Eaters. Now he is 
trying to save her from evil all while convincing her that he is actually part of it.
Snape/OC
Anything that pops out at you. I've had people review the first chapter, so if you could review 
different one, that would be awesome. 

Thanks a million!

Recent Badges

sunshine_locks
Posted (edited)

Story & Author Name: dum vivimus vivamus (M) by sunshine_locks
Warnings & Advisories: mentions of eating disorders, racism, and islamophobia
Genres: Angst, general, humor
Length: One-Shot, 18,227 Words
Ships: N/A
Summary: Reflections don't change, but people do. 
Areas of Concern: none really! comment on whatever you like! 

also, yeah, this is a pretty long one-shot, so if you decline, i'd understand!

Edited by victoria_anne
unrated mature link

adorably cute

Pick me, pick me! :waving:

Story & Author Name: The Week of Unknown Pranks (m) by adorably cute
Warnings & Advisories: None
Genres: AU, Humor
Length: One-Shot, 3986 words
Ships: none
Summary: 

James and Sirius are baffled when someone else starts pranking Snivellus. Lily is still trying to feel her way around the office. Albus tries to score an invite to the Semi-Annual Chair Races.

Or, the Marauders The Office AU I've previously discussed.

Areas of Concern: flow, because there are a lot of breaks within it and I'm not sure if that interrupts it, but mostly just want to hear your thoughts!

Pixileanin

Hi there!  I'm requesting a set of fresh eyes on a thing...

Would you take a look at the first chapter of my Dramione Deconstruction fic?  (Is that too weird??)

Story and Author Name: Hermione Granger: Whos' the Monster Now?  (M) Pixileanin

Warnings and Advisories: Substance Abuse, Suicide, Violence

Genres: Angst/Dark Horror

Length: currently 3 chapters, approx 2k each

Ships: Hermione.Ron, Hermione/Draco... ish

Summary:

“Everyone deserves a chance for equal representation.”  That was her platform, and she was going to stand by it.  “If I would have known who you were, I would have prepared better documentation.”  

The woman’s smile didn’t change.  “If you knew who we were,” she said carefully, “you wouldn’t have come.”

Areas of Concern:  Generally, whatever you can think of.  It's a new fic, so general interest... flow, ideas, characterization, emotional content (is there enough or did I whitewash things too much?) character motivations, weirdness that I can fix... anything that jumps out to you and knocks you out of the story.

ShadowRose

@adorably cute  @Pixileanin  - your reviews are done! (look at me, actually reviewing things in this thread at a reasonable pace)

y'all know what that means, two slots open!! 

victoria_anne

Pick me! :loveshower:

Story and author name, including link: How to Catch a Snorkack (M)
Warnings and advisories: None
Genre: Action/adventure, crime/mystery, romance
Length: 3434 words so far
Summary: When Rolf Scamander seeks solace in a national park, all he wanted was a break from his homework. What he got, however, was a half-troll named Gus, a black market operation, the exploitation of magical creatures, and a girl searching for a Crumple-Horned Scorkack.
Ships: Rolf Scamander/Luna Lovegood
Areas of concern: None really, just looking for love and motivation ^_^

Rumpelstiltskin

;_; I have come back for more advice. This Rumpel needs to edit and I need halp plz. 

Story & Author Name: We, Lawbreaking Citizens [M] | Rumpelstiltskin | (Chapter Two)
Warnings & Advisories:  Consent Issues (Mild/Moderate), Hate Speech, Sexual Content, Slavery, Substance Abuse, Violence
Genres:  Action/Adventure, Crime/Mystery, Dark/Horror, Fluff, Romance
Length: multi-chaptered, but chapter requested (Chapter Two) is 3,088 words
Ships: Original Character/Original Character (Cyril/Mark)
Summary:

The War revealed many truths about humankind...the most important of those truths is that all humans are innately inclined to violence and chaos. We are hosts to an entire horde of plaguing ailments like jealousy and greed and we lack the physical and emotional capabilities to cope with such diseases. That is how the War started. That is how the world ended. That is why there is a grand nothingness on the Outside, beyond the walls of the Sovereignty.

My name is Cyril Bernard and I play a highly important role in maintaining the peace and overall wellbeing of our wonderfully prospering society (despite what that Mark Van said because what does that peacebreaker know anyway).

Areas of Concern: Mostly on continued world-building, as it is weaved in, and character development so far (especially in light of the introduction of a new character, Amelia). There's a miniature plot-twist at the beginning of this chapter, which I hope I weaved in smoothly enough. With a perspective swap, I hop from not-journal entries to journal entries -- is the effect working decently? Are the two voices of the perspectives distinguishable from one another? And, of course, anything you spot that is off, please just let me know <3. Once again, I work well when CC is blunt and straightforward, so please lay it on me if you find something! O/ Thanks, Taylor. 

you-make-me-wander

Hi Taylor! Can I grab a slot? ^_^

Story & Author Name: The joys of you [M] | you-make-me-wander | (Chapter One)
Fandom / Era: Harry Potter / Next-Gen
Warnings & Advisories:  Mature, Sexual content, Spoilers
Genres:  AU, Drama, Fluff, Humor, Hurt/Comfort, Romance, Friendship, Family
Length: Multi-chaptered novel, on-going. Requested chapter (Chapter One) is 3064 words long
Ships: Scorpius/Rose , Draco/Astoria, Ron/Hermione, Harry/Ginny, Albus/OC, Lily/Lysander, Hugo/OC & James/O C
Inclusivity: Gay, Anxiety, Depression, Dying/grieving
Summary: Scorpius comes back home after being four years away studying wandlore. Finding Astoria already affected by the curse that'll most likely kill her, Scorpius must learn how to deal with the inevitable loss and grief it'll bring, reconnecting with old friends and family, and with making sure that Rose knows that he's never stopped loving her.
Areas of Concern: Mostly the flow of the story and my writing style, since I've been told a few times that I have a certain way of writing that isn't so usual (I think it mostly pertains to longer sentences, that have a certain rythmic flow to them, at least to me). Overall opinion of the story is appreciated, and constructive criticism is welcome.

Thank you :wub:

Recent Badges

ShadowRose

jtoOTA.gif

as usual, it has taken me entirely too long to get to these requests, but @Rumpelstiltskin and @you-make-me-wander , your requests are done!

which means...... two slots open!! come and get them while they're hot!!

• Thanks 2

faeruhs

wow would you look at that i'm sliding in (to no-ones surprise)

Story and Author name: The Midas Touch [M] by godslayer
Warnings and Advisories: Derogatory Language, Domestic Abuse, Eating Disorders, Self-Harm, Sexual Content, Substance Abuse
Genre: Angst, Drama, Hurt/Comfort
Length: Chapter 1 is 3,653 words.
Summary: Sixth year was supposed to be the best school year yet. I finally get to study what I want, I have a boyfriend who loves me and friends who will support me through anything. How wrong could this possibly go?
Ships: Fred Weasley II/OC (HP), James Sirius Potter/OC (HP), Lily Luna Potter/Scorpius Malfoy (HP)
Areas of concern: Just after general thoughts really 💕

Recent Badges

Sleepingbagonthesofa

Running in to snag the second slot while it's still open! 😁

Related image

(Because dammit these slots go quickly!!)

Story Title: Revival (M)

Advisories: Derogatory Language, Hate Speech, Sexual Content, Substance Abuse

Genre: Romance, Drama, Humor

Length: Novel, One chapter so far (About 2000 words) 

Ships: Louis/OC

Summary : "There are three sides to this story: Yours, mine and the one they'll print in The Prophet."

A drama-free Seventh Year would have been nice, I guess I'm not that lucky.

Areas of Concern: First impressions of Rona and the other characters then your overall thoughts and anything that catches your eye 😊

Recent Badges

ShadowRose

both of these are done, and i've got two whole slots wide open!! 😋

• Like 1

Alwynse
I'll grab a slot!

Story and Author Name, including link: I'm not a hero (M) chapter 1, by javu

Warnings and Advisories: Derogatory Language, Hate Speech, Substance Abuse, Violence

Genre: Action/Adventure, Mystery/Crime, Romance

Length: Novel length, chapter 1 is 3917 words long

Summary: (from Archives) "All this nonsense about me being a hero is crap. Just because I've been through hell and back doesn't make me a hero. I'm not a hero; I'm a survivor."

Ships: Next Gen Characters/OC, OC/OC, canon characters/canon characters

Areas of Concern: What you see as foreshadowed, and just your general impression :) Constructive criticism is fine.

Please and thank you!

Edited by javu

Recent Badges