Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Congratulations to Gryffindor for winning this year's house cup!
  • Hippolyta Truth is our new Minister of Magic following our special election!
  • Have a very relaxing August - our next House Cup starts next month!
grumpy cat

grumpy cat

sunshine_locks

Please talk more about Slytherin!Teddy because you're the only one that subscribes to this idea along with me!!!! 

grumpy cat
18 hours ago, sunshine_locks said:

Please talk more about Slytherin!Teddy because you're the only one that subscribes to this idea along with me!!!! 

oooh!

so my headcanon is that andromeda and narcissa became close again after the war, especially with andromeda losing her entire family except for teddy. and so narcissa, lucius and draco all played a big role in teddy's life. besides that, andromeda was a black and a slytherin and someone who was deeply hurt by the war and i can see her raising teddy with her own (slytherin) values. sure, he would have had harry as godfather but his primary family is andromeda. to her, teddy would become the most important person in her life and she would do anything for him, teaching him the same - which is a very slytherin trait, imho. i also see him as being mischievous, inheriting his father's marauder-sness  (?) but without the absolute recklessness that would've made him a gryffindor. :shrugs: not sure if i put my thoughts into words well enough :P

sunshine_locks

Not at all, I understood you perfectly! I really like the idea of the Malfoys being a central part of Teddy's life because with Andromeda growing old, and her family gone, why wouldn't they help Andromeda out? Well--this is assuming that the Malfoys are a reformed bunch, which I absolutely do. The thought of having Draco and Astoria play a pivotal role in his life is a nice contrast because who else would be there if not Teddy's parents? 

The Teddy I envision is actually quite different from what you've written, and this is due to a few things, such as the fact that my Teddy was spawned in an AU, and he was raised much differently from your Teddy--primarily in that Andromeda is his sole guardian, and neither the Potters nor the Malfoys were an important part of his life. So... he's not really much of a family person, nor is he much attached to people--or at least he tried not to get attached. But when he is, he probably is a very loyal friend. I imagine that he's has high standards for himself, and is immediately angry at himself if he doesn't do things right, and often times he is a perfectionist and won't let things go so easily if he knows he can fix it. He also learns to take care of himself and put himself above the wants of others (eventually--that's the key word). All of these characteristics are a result of some other factors in his life, but at this point, to him, they're basically personality traits. 

In my story I say he's a Slytherin, but in truth, the word or house doesn't hold much weight due to it being a muggle AU, so who really knows how much of a Slytherin he actually is. 

This turned into a ramble that's sort of tangentially related to the matter at hand, but hey, I think I just figured out how to write my Teddy Lupin better. 

• Like 1

grumpy cat
6 hours ago, sunshine_locks said:

Not at all, I understood you perfectly! I really like the idea of the Malfoys being a central part of Teddy's life because with Andromeda growing old, and her family gone, why wouldn't they help Andromeda out? Well--this is assuming that the Malfoys are a reformed bunch, which I absolutely do. The thought of having Draco and Astoria play a pivotal role in his life is a nice contrast because who else would be there if not Teddy's parents? 

The Teddy I envision is actually quite different from what you've written, and this is due to a few things, such as the fact that my Teddy was spawned in an AU, and he was raised much differently from your Teddy--primarily in that Andromeda is his sole guardian, and neither the Potters nor the Malfoys were an important part of his life. So... he's not really much of a family person, nor is he much attached to people--or at least he tried not to get attached. But when he is, he probably is a very loyal friend. I imagine that he's has high standards for himself, and is immediately angry at himself if he doesn't do things right, and often times he is a perfectionist and won't let things go so easily if he knows he can fix it. He also learns to take care of himself and put himself above the wants of others (eventually--that's the key word). All of these characteristics are a result of some other factors in his life, but at this point, to him, they're basically personality traits. 

In my story I say he's a Slytherin, but in truth, the word or house doesn't hold much weight due to it being a muggle AU, so who really knows how much of a Slytherin he actually is. 

This turned into a ramble that's sort of tangentially related to the matter at hand, but hey, I think I just figured out how to write my Teddy Lupin better. 

That totally makes sense and i love the fact that both our headcanon teddies are slytherins just on a totally different spectrum :greenstars:

grumpy cat

lol at me forgetting once again i have this thing. these two thingies i wrote for the great collab ^_^

lionheart

lionheart.png

I was never a craven. And I was always wilful.

- a prequel to Nuclear Love featuring astoria greengrass and the battle of hogwarts

Young Gods

young-gods.png

Those things will kill you, Dominique.

- a dominique/teddy and teddy/victoire oneshot (but primarily dom&teddy). it's a tiny bit smutty but i liked writing it. both stories fit into my TAOBN universe

grumpy cat

i decided to write a little about the quinn/jax/james love thing. can't call it a love triangle since none of them are actually together :shrugs:. but i've gotten a lot of reviews from people saying they like jax...some are worried quinn will like him too much and so on. so this is my thinking on why jax isn't the good choice for quinn.

• jax will never call out quinn on her self destructive behaviour. the two of them are quite similar when it comes to their weird (broken?) families and have similar coping mechanisms but unlike james, jax doesn't see behaviours like drinking too much, skipping classes, ignoring stuff...as problematic. he does them too, they make him feel, if not entirely good, then better. so even though james might enable quinn a bit, ultimately he almost always calls her out on her bad behaviour and tries to make things right, jax is on a whole other level and he's someone who can easily pull her into a bad downward spiral where it's the two of them against the world.

i like jax, and he ended up being a really good guy in chapter 14. but, the fact that him and quinn are so similar is problematic. maybe not right now, even though i think that in chapter 14 some of this became a bit clearer, but later when things get worse... :I

• Like 1

grumpy cat

so here's another update and for this whole post i entirely blame 1) my own self-indulgence, 2) @ShadowRose and 3) @nott theodore (because of her challenge i can't let things be...no i have to go and do a whole other story)

for taylor's faking it challenge i wrote a sequel to Nuclear Love in which draco and astoria are certainly not together...but they might be :P there's also the fact that astoria's family (her father's side) is greek and they're all coming over and ALL OF THEM ARE CRIMINALS. because that's the way i roll, i guess. i can't let the poor tortured soul aka astoria just live and be happy, there's got to be some action and adventure and hurt and angst and draco :shrugs:

Playing with Fire

playing-fire.png

And I have always loved playing with fire.

and then....i looked at the shakespeare challenge and thought of a perfect quote.

Hell is empty and all the devils are here. / The Tempest

and i wrote the first sentence (and then some more...) of the sequel to Playing with Fire (aka the sequel of a sequel....i also have a prequel to this whole Reckless series: lionheart because i like to keep things complicated, of course). and!!! i even have a title!!! no banner yet though.

Seven Devils

There are seven of us standing in the dimly lit room on the upper story of The Serpent. An ancient one-eyed assassin, a former Death Eater, a well-known nonós tis nýchtas, a notorious self-titled Duke of Thessaloniki, a cunning lawyer, a woman with blood on her hands and finally, the Lord of Shadows, head of Europe’s most powerful crime syndicate.

I should not be amused but I can’t help the smirk that dances on my face when I remember the Shakespeare quote, ‘hell is empty and all the devils are here’.

*nonós tis nýchtas means godfather of the night in greek

• Like 3

grumpy cat

so i finally made a forum-appropriate picspam for one of my fics / Seven Devils

seven-devils-picspam.gif

also yes, as seen in the upper left corner, astoria has a hot dad. 😂

• Like 2

Noelle Zingarella

@starbuck This is stunning!! I can see that I need to get cracking on the previous stories so I'll be ready to read this one.

P.S. Who is the faceclaim for Astoria's dad? He is, indeed, hot.

• Like 1

grumpy cat
4 hours ago, Noelle Zingarella said:

@starbuck This is stunning!! I can see that I need to get cracking on the previous stories so I'll be ready to read this one.

P.S. Who is the faceclaim for Astoria's dad? He is, indeed, hot.

thanks!! *_* it's nikolaj coster waldau (who is 48 if you can believe it 😮 )

• Like 1

grumpy cat

i haven't written much lately because i've been busy but after i made a silly comment in the thread about thestrals i got another story sort of started.

i don't really have much plot thought up but it's something totally different to anything i've written up until now so it's going to be an adventure trying to write it. (but first i have to finish seven devils because that actually has a deadline................. :ninjavanish: )

the idea: thestrals were first conjured up by death as pets and then they ran away from death to live freely.

the opening line:

Death was lonely.

• Like 1

grumpy cat
Posted (edited)

i am here again with another update.

seven devils / not even close to being done :I it's at 2.8k and i have no idea how long this will end up being. it was supposed to be short-ish. but, i apparently have no sense of reality when it comes to writing drastoria :shrugs:

and of course i now have a new fic in the making.

Bad Habits / a sort of sequel to Young Gods / featuring dominique weasley being very attracted to both teddy lupin and quinn jones (and both of them liking her back) / click++ (M) for a picspam

Edited by grumpy cat
  • Like 3

grumpy cat
Posted (edited)

- two new stories / finished bad habits and wrote a different thing altogether. i'm still working on seven devils :I

Bad Habits

bad-habits.png

I shouldn’t let myself fall for broken people, but I do.

- it's a dominique weasley/teddy lupin and dominique weasley/quinn jones (my OC from TAOBN) self-indulgent thing written for the queer your faves challenge and which i loved writing even though it's not exactly happy.

dark days

dark-days.png

I want technicolour.

- a victoire weasley story, written for abby's feminism is for everyone challenge - the story deals with heavy themes so for anyone thinking of reading it, please mind the advisories :I i cried while i wrote it and it's personal for me...but despite all the advisories and the actual plot, it does end on a hopeful note and i think it's one of the reasons why i liked writing it, despite everything

Edited by grumpy cat
  • Like 2

grumpy cat
Posted (edited)

i guess my wj is a great dumping ground for random or not so random fic ideas.

seven devils / is going horribly, or actually...not going? because i've had this massive (and i mean this in a quite literal way) design project that i've been working on that gets handed in tomorrow so i've had zero time or even will to write. staying late at work, even working from home, destroys pretty much any writing creativity for me. sad story.

still untitled dominique weasley fic / three (possibly more) times dominique weasley resisted temptation and one time she didn't - a wip summary. the fic is once again a sort of dom/teddy and dom/quinn thing set between young gods and bad habits. i like writing dominique and her bad decisions (bad habits lol) even though i'm aware a lot of people are not fans. i write characters who are...real? in a sense that sometimes they mess up, sometimes they mess up very badly and it's just...they're also teenagers with raging hormones. they're sometimes selfish :shrugs: a lot of what i write is heavily influenced by my own experiences so, er, sometimes when i read people's reviews i end up wondering exactly how messed up i am 😅 the fic is supposed to be my entry for shreya and sarah's five plus one challenge which i'm not going to officially enter until the fic isn't just a couple of google keep notes randomly thrown about. i've also been listening to ariana grande's break up with your girlfriend, i'm bored and in some twisted way it's very inspiring for this fic.

Edited by grumpy cat
  • Like 1

grumpy cat

my dominique fic finally has a title (can we all tell i'm obsessed with ocean eyes by billie eilish? yes? good). and a tiny sneak peek:

Napalm Skies

I miss the feel of Quinn’s fingertips but I’m relieved, feeling as if I just avoided a death curse.

And yet, I know this is only ephemeral, fleeting, that in no time at all, I will once again be drawn to her, like two celestial bodies coming closer and closer until, finally, they clash and burn and shatter.

• Like 2

grumpy cat

Napalm Skies

napalm-skies.png

temptation (noun) the wish to do something that you know you should not do

picspam (m) ++

i've finished napalm skies :ninjavanish: and honestly, i've been really amazed at the feedback i've gotten - mostly from people just telling me they really liked it, not via review and somehow, that's even sweeter *_* i'm always worried about my stories not being liked and then i valiantly decide that i'm writing for myself (and the entire dominique arc is entirely self-indulgent...) and then i go back to worrying so it's a vicious cycle :P.

it's a story chronologically set between young gods and bad habits in which dominique hooks up with quinn for the first time, despite her, admittedly terrible, tries to...resist temptation.

dominique is a character who knows what she wants, but she's also vulnerable and she knows that both teddy (who is her sister's on again, off again boyfriend) and quinn (her friend and someone everyone knows doesn't form emotional attachments and runs for the hills the moment things might start to seem serious) are bad for her, in a way. but she still decides to hook up with both (not at the same time haha :P ). her reasons might not make sense but 1) she's spoiled and always gets what she wants and 2) she's sort of deluding herself into thinking that, maybe, just this once, it might make a difference and also 3) she's a hormonal teenager without much regards for anything else. people are selfish and jealous and dominique is one of the characters who i use to explore that. some of her experiences might be inspired by my own - heavily modified, of course, since i don't have an older sister and all that good stuff, but just general teenager-y and how sex and alcohol and bad decisions are entwined with the teenage experience. of course, not everyone has had the same/similar experiences like i did, but for me, it's very fun to explore those parts of being a teenager, even if i'm no longer one :ninjavanish: . my characters are often self-aware of the bad things they're doing, but ultimately they don't care about much of it...especially if it makes them feel good.

napalm skies has also been a bit of an experiment for me, mostly in terms of keeping up a similar metaphor throughout all the scenes (the story started out as my entry for the 5+1 challenge and then i...ruined it hah) with stars/space/meteors. i'm not sure why i used it the first time except that i liked the imagery of stargazing mixing with fireflies and then it became a thing. the other thing is that i tried really hard to focus on description, with minimum dialogue, and to tell a story through internal thoughts, description, through touch and ambience. i'm not sure how well i managed it, but i did try :P

the title was taken from ocean eyes by bilie eilish which is a song i've been obsessed with lately and whose lyrics are, imho, poetic. so i tried to channel the feel of the song into the story.

I've been watching you
For some time
Can't stop staring
At those oceans eyes
Burning cities
And napalm skies
Fifteen flares inside those ocean eyes

and despite quinn not having blue eyes (hah) i went with it and her dark/black eyes also became something of a leitmotif throughout the story, though a tiny bit more sinister than the 'ocean eyes' from the song in that they reflect quinn's personality, so they become black holes who suck you in and don't let you go. which is a potentially nicer way of saying she uses people.

i thoroughly enjoyed writing the story, it also helped that @sibilant was incredibly supportive and this ended up as a sort of early birthday gift for her, who probably likes my characters more than i do :P thanks for your cheerleading, general support, and being a great friend, shreya *_*

echoes of wartime or demons

/title still to be decided upon (i made a twitter poll but whoever is reading this is welcome to give their own suggestion or preference)

- this story started forming in my head yesterday when i was thinking about how i conveniently ruined my 5+1 challenge entry. and it occurred to me that astoria (finally) manages to produce a patronus in Nuclear Love but with her trauma from the war i started wondering how much effort it took her to get to that place where she can do it. so i think this will be my actual entry for the 5+1 challenge, astoria trying to produce a patronus, dealing (or better yet, not dealing) with her trauma and her family. and then, after she meets draco, after they become friends, she's finally able to let some of her guilt and shame and fear go and lets herself be just a tiny bit happy, but it's enough for a patronus.

Edited by grumpy cat
  • Like 4