Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Good luck to all the NaNoWriMo participants! Don't forget to stop by the Cafe.
  • What did the golden snitch say when Harry Potter was itchy?
  • Quidditching!
poppunkpadfoot

Tagging Etiquette

poppunkpadfoot

Hey everyone! I really hope this is the right place to post this!

I was just thinking, sometimes it can be a little bit difficult to know what tags to put on a story. Like, how much does a character have to appear before it makes sense to put their tag? These sorts of questions.

Right now I'm specifically trying to figure out the following:

• In a fake dating fic where the characters in question do not end up together, do you still tag the pairing?
  • If a pairing is discussed or mentioned in the background, should you tag that pairing?

So if anyone has thoughts on those things, I'd love to hear them! I was also thinking that other people could post their own tagging questions.

just.a.willow.tree

Oh these are really good questions. I struggle with tagging characters so much lmao. 😂

As for pairings, though, I think I have a slightly better idea haha.

22 minutes ago, poppunkpadfoot said:

In a fake dating fic where the characters in question do not end up together, do you still tag the pairing?

I'd say yes, if the focus of the story is about them anyway. I know I'd definitely still enjoy reading a fake dating fic of my favorite ship even if they don't actually end up together, so I'd want the story to pop if I searched the tag.

26 minutes ago, poppunkpadfoot said:

If a pairing is discussed or mentioned in the background, should you tag that pairing?

No, I don't think so. One of the biggest pet peeves I have when searching AO3 is trying to find a story centered around a ship I love, but because there's no primary pairing and secondary pairing option, all of the tagged pairings hold the same weight, even if they're not featured in the story prominently. I think it's better to just tag the main pairing and leave it at that. ❤️ 

• Like 1

starbuck

i usually just tag the main pairing (or pairings if two or more are really main). i don't tag pairings of secondary characters that are mentioned but the fic isn't about them. my thinking behind this is that when i search for stories based on pairings i want to read about that pairing but not if it's just something secondary (for example, if i want to read sirius/oc, i wouldn't want to read actually a jily fic with mention of sirius ending up with someone) :P

for your specific question - i wouldn't tag the fake dating pairing or the discussed/mentioned in the background :shrugs:

ShadowRose
4 hours ago, poppunkpadfoot said:

If a pairing is discussed or mentioned in the background, should you tag that pairing?

I feel like my go-to for this is to only tag the main pairings, but to tag all the characters. That way, you still have a way of showing potential readers that the other characters exist in the story too, but it also doesn't clog up a pairing tag with stories that aren't about that pairing.

4 hours ago, poppunkpadfoot said:

In a fake dating fic where the characters in question do not end up together, do you still tag the pairing?

I think I agree with Eva on this? Like, if their fake dating is a central part of the story, I feel like that warrants a pairing tag.

And to add another question to the mix, what do you guys typically use as the standard for whether or not to include a character if they never actually make an appearance themselves in the story (i.e. they just get mentioned a lot, or only appear in flashbacks/memories)?

• Like 1

poppunkpadfoot
24 minutes ago, ShadowRose said:

I feel like my go-to for this is to only tag the main pairings, but to tag all the characters. That way, you still have a way of showing potential readers that the other characters exist in the story too, but it also doesn't clog up a pairing tag with stories that aren't about that pairing.

I think I agree with Eva on this? Like, if their fake dating is a central part of the story, I feel like that warrants a pairing tag.

And to add another question to the mix, what do you guys typically use as the standard for whether or not to include a character if they never actually make an appearance themselves in the story (i.e. they just get mentioned a lot, or only appear in flashbacks/memories)?

I would say that the character appearing in flashbacks/memories still counts as them appearing in the story, so I would definitely tag the character in that scenario. I'm undecided re: if they just get mentioned a lot.

• Like 1

TidalDragon

Re: Fake-Dating, since that "pairing" still lies at the core of the story (emotions, reactions, etc. around it), I would definitely tag there

Re: Background Pairings, generally, I only tag pairings that appear recurrently in the story. I'm guilty probably of over-tagging because sometimes they aren't critical, but you see enough of them that you can get a sense of them as a couple and there's a foundation created there. I think part of it depends on the length of the story too though. Like...in retrospect (and I may have already done it on HPFT, I don't remember), I am removing the Sirius/OC tag from that story because even though it features recurrently, especially toward the end, it's not central (more a reflection of Sirius's character and needs TBH) and people shouldn't be reading, reading, reading waiting for the Sirius/OC which happens way too far in.

Re: Characters, if they, even via memories and flashbacks are very important, I would absolutely tag them. If their appearance is really just about the character having the flashback's emotions, feelings, reactions to it, I might not.