News Ticker

Press Release: Now Seeking Your Publishers

Alopex

THIS SCAVENGER HUNT IS A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN THE PREVIOUS TWO, SO PAY ATTENTION. INCLUDING THE DETAILS AT THE BOTTOM IN THE SECOND SPOILER.

Every paper needs a publisher. But how well do you know your publishers?

That takes a hunt AND a matching game!

Three (3) cards for thirteen (13) of your HPFT staff members have been embedded across the HPFT Archives and Forums in staff related content. To differentiate amongst the cards, there is a well-known attribute of each staff member's written in the top corner--not to be confused with the staff facts matching game. Search carefully for all the cards, keeping in mind that next week, you will be required to write three (3) Staff Profiles. More information regarding expectations for the writing portion of the staff profiles will be provided in a few days.

Don't stop your search prematurely. There's a lot of ground to cover and sometimes the most unique - and potentially most valuable - discoveries are timeless treasures that stretch beyond mere staff facts. You'll find two (2) such precious pieces this week if you can find the right places to look--LadyL8's Interview Section challenge and PaulaTheProkaryote's Photography Section challenge.

But wait! There's more.

In addition to the card hunt, the thirteen (13) participating staff members have each submitted three (3) facts about themselves! Each fact you successfully match to the correct staff member will earn you points.

In order to claim a staff member to write a profile about, you must find ALL three (3) of their cards as well as correctly match them to two (2) of their facts. However, because LadyL8 and PaulaTheProkaryote have chosen this week's wild cards, to claim either of them, you must find all three (3) of their cards and match them to all three (3) of their facts. Houses are not permitted to double up on staff profiles, so the competition will be fierce! (See second post in this thread to see which wild card is which.)

Once you believe you are ready to claim a staff member, reply to this thread stating who you are claiming. A staff member will go to your common room and check that you have found all three cards and matched enough facts, and then will reply letting you know if your claim is successful or not.

You have until the end of Week 3 (August 10th) to locate all the staff cards and match all the facts. The more of the search you complete and the more matches you make, the more your paper will be worth. But don't get scooped! When it comes to the press, those who finish fastest reap extra rewards.

SPOILER 1: THE LIST

Spoiler
  1. I own five different copies of my favourite book
  2. I don't like liars who steal nail polish and then pass out when you slap them a little bit on the back of the head.
  3. I live on baked potatoes.
  4. My favourite music artist is Tori Amos
  5. Has toured a chocolate factory.
  6. Have never gone ice skating, but would love to do it next winter
  7. Likes to write happy endings.
  8. Used to work at a pet shop
  9. Loves cats, tolerates dog
  10. Loves to read crime/mystery novels
  11. A pet that is owned either by myself or my parents, is named after a Harry Potter character
  12. I can make my throat puff out like a frog.
  13. I have two cats
  14. My biggest dream is becoming a published author
  15. Has four (4) tattoos.
  16. I don't have any tattoos.
  17. I have still never watched the "Goblet of Fire" film.
  18. I love video games; my two (2) favorites are Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect.
  19. I started singing/performing locally when I was 8 years old, and I'm currently one of the lead singers in the worship band at my church.
  20. I don't want to live on this planet anymore.
  21. I love sushi.
  22. If I had been born a boy, my name would've been Bart
  23. Studied abroad in Northern Ireland.
  24. The object I'd most like to interact with from the HP books is the Marauder's Map.
  25. Stayed at a monastery for a weekend and wrote a series of prose poetry about the experience.
  26. I went to see my favorite band play live in concert 19 times before they tragically broke up back in 2013.
  27. I am the plan.
  28. Knocked out running into a tree
  29. Learned to play the bass guitar at age 16.
  30. My dream is to run an animal rescue when I retire.
  31. The very first fanfic I ever wrote was a Lord of the Rings story, and it was all hand-written on over 600 pages of notebook paper.
  32. Intermittent tabletop gamer
  33. Enjoys star-crossed romances and essentially all LGBTQ+ pairings
  34. I've met Khaled Hosseini.
  35. Works professionally with books
  36. I’m obsessed with greenhouses.
  37. I am a huge LOTR fan, and even created my own recipe for Lembas bread.
  38. Former amusement park employee
  39. I have a decent sized insect collection.

SPOILER 2: IMPORTANT FACTS SUMMARIZED HERE - READ THEM OR ELSE AN ERUMPENT HORN MAY EXPLODE IN YOUR COMMON ROOM.

Spoiler

• BellaLestrange87 is the only staff member with no cards or facts represented in this game.
  • All cards are hidden in content related to staff: forum posts, blog entries, and stories. The stories can be either written by the staffer, reviewed by the staffer (not necessarily a chapter they have reviewed), favorited by a staffer, in a series favorited by a staffer, or written by an author favorited by a staffer.
  • Some facts can be found on-site or on Twitter, but many cannot. You'll have to make your best guesses!
  • This week, there are TWO (2) wild cards up for grabs. If you find them, you may claim them, regardless of other cards found or facts matched.
  • You may claim LadyL8 or PaulaTheProkaryote even if you didn't find the wild card; however, you must match all three (3) of their facts. For other staff, it is just two (2). You must also find all three (3) of a staffer's cards in order to claim them.
  • You cannot claim a staff member already claimed by another house. (Yes, for those of you Arithmancy whizzes, this does mean there will be one staff member left over.)
  • One last time, a little louder for anyone snoozing in Professor Binns' class: There are two (2) separate games going on this week--the scavenger hunt for cards with staff names written on them AND matching the list of facts to staff members. You must work on both games in order to claim staff members to write profiles about next week.

Edited by RoxiMalfoy
Removing the Emoji from fact 26. ;)

Quick note: the two Wild Cards are different.

The Interview Section one looks like this: metV1XE.png

The Photography Section one looks like this: QBlEBzm.png

If we attempt to claim a staffer but have the wrong facts, can we guess again? 

I'm also a little confused that we get more points for making more matches, but each house only gets three matches 

6 minutes ago, Dojh167 said:

If we attempt to claim a staffer but have the wrong facts, can we guess again? 

I'm also a little confused that we get more points for making more matches, but each house only gets three matches 

Yes, you can guess again.

You only get to claim 3 staff members to write a profile about, but you'll get a point for every fact you match correctly. So if you match all 39, that's 39 points. If you only match 6 (the minimum you need to match to claim your profiles), that's just 6 points. It's sort of like the first two scavenger hunts, where you received points for finding cards that weren't in your house's era.

• Thanks 1

Gryffindor would like to claim @Unwritten Curse !

Edited by Alopex
Unsuccessful claim. Responded in CR.

Gryffindors has a question about our rejection in the CR please.

Slytherin would like to claim RoxiMalfoy

• Like 1

Slytherin has successfully claimed RoxiMalfoy. ?

Ravenclaw has a few questions about the wild cards and about claiming Lotte and Paula, @Alopex.

1) since we found the wild cards, does it mean we HAVE to claim these two staffers or are they still open to the other houses? 

2) since you've mentioned that all three of their cards have to be found - does this mean One Wild Card + Two Staff Cards or One Wild Card + Three Staff Cards are hidden for them?

3) do we get to use the wild cards even if we don't claim Paula and Lotte? (If they're open to the other houses, that is)

Edited by facingthenorthwind

Hufflepuff would like to claim victoria_anne!

• Like 1

Hufflepuff has now claimed victoria_anne! ?

• Like 4

a question - if we make the matches, can a staff member check them without us trying to claim a person? or is claiming the only way for us to be able to tell if our matches are good?

• Like 1

slytherin would like to claim toomanycurls and abhorsen :shrugs:  [based on very vague info hahah]

Ravenclaw would like to claim Paula! (our facts matching is in the first post of the thread)

Gyffindor would like to claim Levana. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Theia said:

Ravenclaw has a few questions about the wild cards and about claiming Lotte and Paula, @Alopex.

1) since we found the wild cards, does it mean we HAVE to claim these two staffers or are they still open to the other houses? 

2) since you've mentioned that all three of their cards have to be found - does this mean One Wild Card + Two Staff Cards or One Wild Card + Three Staff Cards are hidden for them?

3) do we get to use the wild cards even if we don't claim Paula and Lotte? (If they're open to the other houses, that is)

1) You are not required to claim them, and other houses may claim them. They're just slightly tougher to claim than other houses.

2) It means three staff cards.

3) You've claimed the wild cards. We had not anticipated the wild card links would get posted in the claim thread (and therefore didn't think to say not to do so!), which would have opened things up for a bit more shuffling and strategizing, but when that happened with the first one, that essentially blocked other houses from finding it on their own, meaning only the first house could claim it, so it was only fair to do all wild cards that way. Anyway, yes, you get to use the wild cards. At this point, if you fulfill the tasks related to them (once we tell you what they are), you'll get the points. If you don't fulfill the tasks, no one gets the points.

5 hours ago, starbuck said:

a question - if we make the matches, can a staff member check them without us trying to claim a person? or is claiming the only way for us to be able to tell if our matches are good?

Once you make a claim, we'll give feedback, but not otherwise.

3 hours ago, starbuck said:

slytherin would like to claim toomanycurls and abhorsen :shrugs:  [based on very vague info hahah]

Slytherin has claimed toomanycurls but not abhorsen.

2 hours ago, facingthenorthwind said:

Ravenclaw would like to claim Paula! (our facts matching is in the first post of the thread)

Ravenclaw has not claimed Paula.

1 hour ago, Crimson Quill said:

Gyffindor would like to claim Levana. 

Gryffindor has claimed Levana.

• Like 1

Slytherin would like to claim TidalDragon :hmm:

Hufflepuff would like to claim abhorsen.!

1 hour ago, starbuck said:

Slytherin would like to claim TidalDragon :hmm:

Slytherin has not claimed TidalDragon.

12 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

Hufflepuff would like to claim abhorsen.!

Hufflepuff has claimed abhorsen. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Chemical_Pixie said:

Gryffindor would like to claim Paula! 

Gryffindor has NOT claimed PaulaTheProkaryote... yet!

1 hour ago, RoxiMalfoy said:

Gryffindor has NOT claimed PaulaTheProkaryote... yet!

Gryffindor would like to try again. ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ShadowRose said:

Gryffindor would like to try again. ?

Nope, sorry!! ? Paula's profile is still OPEN.

Gryffindor would like to claim TidalDragon, and Renacera if the first claim is unsuccessful.

(Or can we get four? I know there's one staffer left over, but does that mean no one claims them or that one house gets 4 publishers?)

Edited by ShadowRose
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, ShadowRose said:

Gryffindor would like to claim TidalDragon, and Renacera if the first claim is unsuccessful.

(Or can we get four? I know there's one staffer left over, but does that mean no one claims them or that one house gets 4 publishers?)

Gryffindor has claimed TidalDragon.

The upcoming task is to write THREE staff profiles, so you can only claim three staff members. Once your three claims are made (as they are now), that's it. You can keep looking for more information and making additional tweaks to your final list, but you can not make any more claims.

• Like 1