Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Our 'The Nifflers That Stole Christmas' event is open through January 1!
  • What did the golden snitch say when Harry Potter was itchy?
  • Quidditching!
StarFeather

Nagini and Maledictus (M rated sparingly)

StarFeather

Nagini killed Snape and other people. Nagini was one of Voldemort's horcruxes. And in the coming film (according to the trailer), she used to be a human... how shocking! 

Let's talk about Nagini.

Edited by StarFeather

Nhaz

Well, I think that by that time she had been driven fully insane, what with the shapeshifter mode lock AND the strain from being a Horcrux... one Voldemort had bent to his will, too. It also gives a very macabre reason for why it was Nagini that ambushed Harry and Hermione in Godric's Hollow, wearing Bathilda Bagshot's body like a meat suit - she wanted to feel human again.

I have no idea if she had lost her ability to transform back into human before Voldemort found her, but if she still had it, she could have been the only person to be his lover (I choose to ignore Cursed Child). It would explain his affection for her and why he imparted a fragment of his soul to her. That must have taken more than being a loyal follower or even one "blessed" with her ability. As for the way he treated her later on, that is, like a pet - Voldemort would feel a twisted pleasure degrading her even if they had been close.

Edited by Nhaz
  • Like 1

StarFeather

Well, I think that by that time she had been driven fully insane, what with the shapeshifter mode lock AND the strain from being a Horcrux..

guys, I think what J.K.Rowling meant about Nagini and Maledictus is partly from this folklore, princess Kiyo. ↓

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kiyohime (T)

kiyo 清(い) means "pure", so I guess the purest thing ( or person) will be easily hurt and turn to a monstrous creature.

Edited by StarFeather
  • Like 1

Jo Raskoph

I felt so sorry for her, after realising who she was - which took me way too long, tbh. I can imagine her turning to the wrong side very easily and my theory is this:

Spoiler

When Nagini came into contact with Voldemort, she had been locked in her animal body for a long while already. And then she met this human with whom she could communicate again. Bang! This is a turn of events that I imagine bends a lot of things. It's like she had been locked in a cellar for years and even if the first person who came to see her and talk to her was the epitome of evil - how would she be able to reject this piece of humanity he was for her? It all makes perfect horrible sense in my mind…

edit: put in the spoiler tag after realising the snippet showed up in the sidebar

Edited by Jo Raskoph
  • Like 2

Crimson Quill

This is such an interesting concept and I can't believe that Jo said that she had this idea for over 20 years!

I think there is so much that we don't know how the blood curse works because saying 'trapped in animal's body' suggests that she'll still have human thoughts so I'm not sure how we get from the Nagini who as a human seems so compassionate. She had the chance to go with Credence and Grindelwald as a human, she chose the good side against her (only?) friend. She has a strong moral compass. I can't imagine the things that happen to her as a human with led her to be a ruthless killer like she is as a snake. I guess we just don't know what happens when she is stuck like that. I can only assume that her mind goes or is twisted.

It's another interesting thing - was she a snake when Voldemort found her? if so, was it random chance or did Voldemort know she was a maledictus and track her? I assume she would have been a snake when she came into contact with Voldemort maybe because their ages but we don't know how long the curse will be take to transform her fully.

The idea that Astoria might be one too (via CC canon) is wild. I wish more details were provided but we don't know, Jo says that she has had the idea for twenty years but maybe she only go the idea after CC mentioned it.  who knows!

There is so much to cover in future movies and that's quite exciting!

Happy Holidays, Kenny! 🎅

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

scooterbug8515

This is an interesting concept that you presented earlier Kenny.  The story of princess Kiyo I think it a strong harkening to what may have happened to Nagini.  I have not seen the Fantastic Beasts movie but based on previous comments she is a good person and not the type of evil we see with her when she is trapped as a snake. 

It is certainly possible that she loses a sense of self when a snake but I think it is highly possible and probably that when getting trapped a snake she loses everything - those who were supposed to be there for her even after her transformation into a snake left her or appeared to leave her.  She may or may not have sought revenge, but that kind of betrayal would invoke a person to change.  If Nagini did seek revenge and quite possibly killed then all the more reason for her to turn toward evil, killing changes a person.

Another possibility, playing off of what Jo said that if Voldemort is the first to be able to talk to her as a snake, it can be ingratiating to have a piece of humanity returned to the point that it is easy to turn a blind eye to some of the evil done by Voldemort.  Also, let us not forget that Tom/Voldemort was quite the charmer so as the first to speak to her at a human level plus attractive wit, charm and promises it's hard not to follow along and turn a blind eye to the evil around.  Then when things started truly crossing a line such as Nagini realizing just how evil Voldemort really is and realizes there are killings, she gets a piece of his soul and that probably does bind her to him in some ways.  We saw the impact the accidental piece had on Harry it is possible that the piece in Nagini was larger than what was in Harry thus having a larger impact on her causing her to do evil herself.  Also, she lived with that piece of Voldemort longer than Harry did - it is also possible she didn't know what it takes to make a Horcrux and she did not know he was evil until she had Voldemort's soul in her and by then in some respects, it was too late.

There are a lot of ideas and ways this could have panned out, but you have a great idea Kenny and if you write about Nagini what you choose to have be her story is going to be great, as we don't know the full story and may never get it, that is the beauty of fanfiction.

• Thanks 1

StarFeather

@Jo Raskoph, Thank you for posting your theory. It sounds very plausible. Those who has already seen the film, COG, let's check her theory above (hidden)^. I like it. I am willing to read your fanfiction based on the plot.  :)

@Crimson Quill Abbie, thank you for stopping by and sharing your thought.

She has a strong moral compass.  I can only assume that her mind goes or is twisted.

I strongly agree with your thought.

It's another interesting thing - was she a snake when Voldemort found her? if so, was it random chance or did Voldemort know she was a maledictus and track her? I assume she would have been a snake when she came into contact with Voldemort maybe because their ages but we don't know how long the curse will be take to transform her fully.

I guess Voldemort must have found something valuable for him related with maledictus.

The idea that Astoria might be one too (via CC canon) is wild. I wish more details were provided

Until J.K.Rowling reveals everything, we, the fanfiction authors have plenty of time to write fanfictions!  :D

@scooterbug8515, thank you for posting your thought not seeing the film, COG, Marshal. :hug:

It is certainly possible that she loses a sense of self when a snake but I think it is highly possible and probably that when getting trapped a snake she loses everything - those who were supposed to be there for her even after her transformation into a snake left her or appeared to leave her.

Seeng the film trailer, Nagini in a great snake state looks so scary. 

if Voldemort is the first to be able to talk to her as a snake, it can be ingratiating to have a piece of humanity returned to the point that it is easy to turn a blind eye to some of the evil done by Voldemort.  Also, let us not forget that Tom/Voldemort was quite the charmer so as the first to speak to her at a human level plus attractive wit, charm and promises it's hard not to follow along and turn a blind eye to the evil around.  Then when things started truly crossing a line such as Nagini realizing just how evil Voldemort really is and realizes there are killings, she gets a piece of his soul and that probably does bind her to him in some ways.  We saw the impact the accidental piece had on Harry it is possible that the piece in Nagini was larger than what was in Harry thus having a larger impact on her causing her to do evil herself.  Also, she lived with that piece of Voldemort longer than Harry did - it is also possible she didn't know what it takes to make a Horcrux and she did not know he was evil until she had Voldemort's soul in her and by then in some respects, it was too late.

Thank you, Marshal, your thoughts answer to all wonders.  :)

I'd like to add more information after researching.

The Origin: Naga or Nagi refers to “serpent”, especially the “King Cobra” in ancient Indian word (Sanskrit). A female Naga is called “nagi”, “nagin” or “Nagini”.      (From Wikipedia).

It appears in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism, a member of a class of mythical semidivine beings, half human and half cobra. They are a strong, handsome species who can assume either wholly human or wholly serpentine form and are potentially dangerous but often beneficial to humans. They live in an underground kingdom called Nagaloka, or Patala-loka, which is filled with resplendent palaces, beautifully ornamented with precious gems. The creator deity Brahma relegated the nagas to the nether regions when they became too populous on earth and commanded them to bite only the truly evil or those destined to die prematurely. They are also associated with waters – rivers, lakes, seas, and wells – and are guardians of treasure.

(From Britannica)

:rip: ^ These indicates a lot of things. Snape might be destined to die after he joined the Death Eaters, Voldemort’s inner circle.

In the Japanese myth, the undersea palace where Ninigi’s son arrives is described simply as the palace of the sea god. But the very similar story of the Japanese folktale about the hero Urashima Taro calls the undersea palace “Rugu (Dragon Palace).” There Ninigi’s son weds a sea princess named Toyo-tama Hime (who turns out to be a giant crocodilian dragoness), with whom he spawns his own son – and through this sea-spawned birthing, the direct ancestors of the Japanese emperors. Japanese emperors thus have dragon blood coursing through their veins.   

(From ‘Japanese Mythology and the Primeval World- A Comparative Symbolic Approach’   by Peter Metevelis)

:dragon:  ^ I didn’t know the part, “Japanese emperors thus have dragon blood coursing through their veins”. J.K.Rowling might get a hint about Maledictus from this.

The Other Folktale: Dragon’s Son (Japanese folktale) Dragon's Son (all)

:hmm:My imagination is that Nagini decided to be Tom Riddle's mother charmed by him...

Here’s the story written by Miyoko Matsutani who had searched for ideal folktales in Japan before writing her story. : Taro, the Dragon Boy (all)

potionspartner

I think Nagini still has human understanding as a snake due to one moment in CoG. (See below) How long that reasoning lasts, I'm not sure.

Spoiler

The moment she turns to a snake in the cage she attacks her "owner" (circus man) because she had been upset with him as a human. 

Assuming that Voldemort has her before 1981, it's entirely possible that she stayed with him during those interim years. I read a story which had them living in a cave in Albania. His spirit returned to her every evening so that he can be "restored" (He actually lived inside of her) which is rather disgusting but it does highlight two possible connections.  The tight connection between them might be from this almost symbiotic relationship. It could also explain his snake-like appearance when his body was restored. 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

TreacleTart

Hey Kenny! This is a super interesting topic. Just wanted to add a few of my own thoughts. 

Spoiler

I think that Nagini was a good person who was trapped by Voldemort after her curse was complete. Once she was made permanently into a snake, I imagine him capturing her and not allowing her to leave. Once he made her into a horcrux, I imagine that was what really started to corrupt her mind. If you think back to Deathly Hallows, remember how the horcrux affected Ron. We all agree Ron is a generally good person, but under the influence of the horcrux, he became angry, paranoid, and insecure. That was only after a short period of time. Nagini was a horcrux for years and years. I imagine that carrying a piece of Voldemort's soul warped her mind and changed her from her kind nature to the monster she is at the end of the Deathly Hallows. 

• Like 1

StarFeather

Thank you @potionspartner, @TreacleTart for stopping by to tell us your thoughtful opinions around Nagini. I feel like concocting your ideas and I'll try writing about the Nagini- themed fanfiction wisely.