Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Our January Bulletin is up - check it out for a quick HPFT orientation or refresher!
  • The Great Collab of 2018-19 is underway!
  • Our Magical Menagerie review event has officially begun!
PaulaTheProkaryote

Crimes of Grindelwald Movie Discussion

Gryffin_Duck

@StarFeather Ahh, Cursed Child stuff. No wonder I didn't put that together. I've blocked most of Cursed Child out of my memory. 😄

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

Jo Raskoph

I have something very minor to complain about concerning our contradictory favourite professor:

Spoiler

Minerva would have never hexed a student's mouth shut! NEVER NEVER NEVER. This was so out of character and such a cruel gag to casually throw in there. It would have put her right into league with Snape and I refuse to believe it was her. Must have been an aunt or her mum or older sister or maybe an unrelated person with a shared name but it was never in a hundred years the professor MacGonagall we know …

• Like 4

Hufflepuffbookworm1990

Don't you think if that was our McGonagall she would've mentioned that she taught Tom Riddle?  Though, do you think World Wars could've affected when HOgwarts opened o do wizards not notice things going on in the muggle world unless they have muggle relatives.

If this doen't belong here you can feel free to move it :)

• Like 1

victoria_anne
16 hours ago, Jo Raskoph said:

Minerva would have never hexed a student's mouth shut! NEVER NEVER NEVER. This was so out of character and such a cruel gag to casually throw in there. It would have put her right into league with Snape and I refuse to believe it was her. Must have been an aunt or her mum or older sister or maybe an unrelated person with a shared name but it was never in a hundred years the professor MacGonagall we know 

It's her, and this was just something lighthearted and funny! All four times I saw the movie, this part got huge laughs ^_^ I understand where you're coming from, but don't take it too seriously :) 

6 hours ago, Hufflepuffbookworm1990 said:

Don't you think if that was our McGonagall she would've mentioned that she taught Tom Riddle?

Tom Riddle is about six months old at the time of that movie!

facingthenorthwind
2 hours ago, victoria_anne said:

It's her, and this was just something lighthearted and funny! All four times I saw the movie, this part got huge laughs ^_^ I understand where you're coming from, but don't take it too seriously :) 

It may have been a gag, but it was inconsistent with the character JKR built over seven books, imo? OOC gags are pretty much how things jump the shark, are they not?

Edited by facingthenorthwind
  • Like 3

Hufflepuffbookworm1990

I know Tom Riddle is about six months in the movie but if its our McGonagall. She probably would’ve taught him once he got to Hogwarts.

• Like 1

victoria_anne
7 hours ago, facingthenorthwind said:

It may have been a gag, but it was inconsistent with the character JKR built over seven books, imo? OOC gags are pretty much how things jump the shark, are they not?

Maybe. I didn’t see it that way. 

Alexis Black

Aside from many of the other points that others have made, I think this movie suffers a bit from the fact it wasn't based on a movie. In a recent interview Yates says this regarding JKR approach and why it went from three films to five:

'So she begins with three films, because she thinks that’s the story she wants to tell, and then as she digs deeper…and she hadn’t written anything when she said three. Then she wrote the first, and as she was writing the second, actually just before then, but as she says we working on the first, she began to realize there was a whole lot more, and she was trying to figure out, ‘How the hell am I going to squeeze this into three?’

I think FB would have benefited from being a book first and a movie second.

Two other quick points, I'm not a fan of McGonagall's appearance in the film. And then there's this ... someone explain this:

DtDm6YAVAAAyoOo.jpg.e775a20c47b877af7ea35b636d1b06bd.jpg

pic from twitter

Edited by Alexis Black
  • Like 1

victoria_anne
On 11/14/2018 at 2:17 PM, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

Okay! We have threads for casting discussion, for the trailer, and for all the problematic stuff that bogs us down. This thread isn't about any of that. THIS IS THE HYPE THREAD! IT'S HEREEEE!

Quick reminder that this thread is for all the fun, exciting, good parts we enjoyed about the movie. It is not for a thread to discuss the problems you had with it. Thanks!

• Like 3

MadiMalfoy

@Alexis Black

Lol I saw that comparison on Twitter too and I just laughed at it! It's funny to me but it also is just how movies have to work I guess when you go back in time for a different series with a new actor :P I do love Jude Law as Young Dumbledore™️ though!!

Now that I'm a couple weeks out from having seen it, I really did enjoy the movie -- the cinematography was GORGEOUS and the new creatures were great!! I think they were woven into the storyline well and the kelpie scene was absolutely beautiful (wet shirt Eddie Redmayne, anyone? ;) I think we were all feeling like Bunty there lol) 

The different settings throughout London & Paris were wonderful and I definitely haven't ever seen Paris in movies aside from the typical Eiffel Tower bits, so it was lovely to see that!

• Like 2

Alwynse

Today I saw the movie for a second time and I noticed a few things. If they've already been mentioned, I apologize.

Spoiler

1. In the scene when Leta is at Hogwarts and looking at her (?) old desk where the initials L + N are carved in, down and to the right is a carving of the deathly hallows sign. 

2. If anyone has the screenplay, maybe they can clarify, or if someone has better memory than I do. But at the end, when Grindelwald is talking to Credence/Aurelius, he says "This burden(?) that was bestowed upon you by your very blood." Or something. Bestowed was definitely in there. Bestowed = give, to present as a gift. So... going by that, assuming that Grindelwald is truthful, then Credence/Aurelius was given his burden. Given the obscurial? 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

MegGonagall

I just had a thought, and didn’t know where else to share it, so thought I would share it here. 

Spoiler

So Queenie’s last name is Goldstein. Same as Anthony. What if she’s pregnant, and that’s why she was so crazy about she and Jacob getting married, and eventually was desperate enough to fall for Grindelwald’s propaganda. So, if she is pregnant, what if she and Jacob don’t end up together? (Which would break my heart, because they’re my favorite thing about these movies) What if Jacob gets drafted into WWII and dies? Or, what if he dies in this Wizarding War? Then Queenie has her baby, who ends up being Anthony’s father, and she ends up using her last name for the baby, not Jacob’s, because she’s so angry that he “abandoned” her. (Because I’m assuming that is how she felt at the end of this movie) Basically, what I was just thinking was, what if it turns out that Queenie is Anthony’s grandmother? 

I skimmed through the rest of this thread, and I don’t think I saw this brought up yet, so I apologize if it was. 

• Like 3

MadiMalfoy
On 1/2/2019 at 11:28 AM, MegGonagall said:

I just had a thought, and didn’t know where else to share it, so thought I would share it here. 

Hide contents

So Queenie’s last name is Goldstein. Same as Anthony. What if she’s pregnant, and that’s why she was so crazy about she and Jacob getting married, and eventually was desperate enough to fall for Grindelwald’s propaganda. So, if she is pregnant, what if she and Jacob don’t end up together? (Which would break my heart, because they’re my favorite thing about these movies) What if Jacob gets drafted into WWII and dies? Or, what if he dies in this Wizarding War? Then Queenie has her baby, who ends up being Anthony’s father, and she ends up using her last name for the baby, not Jacob’s, because she’s so angry that he “abandoned” her. (Because I’m assuming that is how she felt at the end of this movie) Basically, what I was just thinking was, what if it turns out that Queenie is Anthony’s grandmother? 

I skimmed through the rest of this thread, and I don’t think I saw this brought up yet, so I apologize if it was. 

OMG MEG THIS IS SUCH A GOOD THEORY!!! 

Spoiler

As far as Anthony's family history, I don't think we're given much of anything really, so this could be very plausible. It would also suggest that Queenie stays in the UK/Europe after this War is through or whatever and then raises her child there, who then would likely have UK citizenship....very nice idea!!!

• Like 1