Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Our January Bulletin is up - check it out for a quick HPFT orientation or refresher!
  • The Great Collab of 2018-19 is underway!
  • Our Magical Menagerie review event has officially begun!
UnluckyStar57

The Great British Bake Off AU Challenge! | 16 February 2019

UnluckyStar57

@adorably cute huzzah! Deadlines, schmeadlines--I actually made the deadline months away from now for that very purpose! Number 18 is Spice Week from season 9.

@Chemical_Pixie I'm so glad you're up for the challenge! However, number 2 is Biscuit Week from season 5, which involves cookies (not really breakfast-themed). If you would like to create your own themed week, that would be fine! (For example, "Breakfast Pastry Week," where the technical challenge is waffles and Leslie gets suuuper excited. 😁)

@aelaia you got it! Thanks for coming aboard!

~*~*~*~*~*~

Takers:

aelaia--number 4 (Dessert Week, s5); Harry Potter

Alwynse--number 16 (Pudding Week, s8); Merlin

Chemical_Pixie--number 2 (Biscuit Week, s5) OR breakfast themed; Parks & Rec

PaulaTheProkaryote--number 13 (Tudor Week, s7); Pride & Prejudice; Elizabeth/Darcy

Maybes:

adorably-cute--number 18 (Spice Week, s9); Harry Potter

Chelts-rhj--number 5 (European Cake Week, s5)

Ineke--number 7 (Pastry Week, s6); Brooklyn 99

juls--number 12 (Botanical Week, s7); Harry Potter (probably)

juls

Okay - I was on my phone yesterday when I signed up, so I really didn't have time to ask questions! (I was at work also!)

1) Are we using the show characters (aka Hollywood, Mary Berry et all) as characters in our stories, or should we make up different names?

2) Now I can't remember the other! I'll be back with it. LOL

• Thanks 1

UnluckyStar57

No problem!

(1) You can use some of the show characters if you wish, as long as you also use characters from the fandom you choose to write about. So if you were doing Harry Potter, you could have Harry, Ron, and Hermione as some of the contestants, and Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood as the judges. But you could instead do Mary Berry hosting with Gilderoy Lockhart, just to shake things up, or have McGonagall and Sprout be the judges alongside Mel and Sue as hosts.  

In my view (which I definitely did not do a great job of explaining in my initial post! I apologize!), a Bake Off AU can be almost anything you want, as long as you keep to the spirit of it—which is amateur bakers making delicious treats and forming friendships in a sweltering summer tent. You can include drama—like if you were writing a competition featuring the Marauders-era characters and Snape does something shady that gets him disqualified—or you can make it as light and fluffy as you wish. You can set it in the real world (non-magical), the Wizarding World, or anywhere you wish! As long as it uses the basic premise of Bake Off to tell a tale, I welcome it with open arms!*

*My examples in this are all HP-themed, but apply the same principles to the other fandoms if you end up writing one of those!

(2) I totally relate to this lolol. Please don’t hesitate to ask once you remember, and thank you for asking questions! I have a tendency to be ambiguous, so this helps clarify stuff for everyone (hopefully!). :D 

• Thanks 1

adorably cute

ohhh not quite sure about spice week! could i see #6 instead please? (sorry to be a pain)

Chemical_Pixie
9 hours ago, UnluckyStar57 said:

(For example, "Breakfast Pastry Week," where the technical challenge is waffles and Leslie gets suuuper excited. 😁)

I'm thinking waffles for more signature or show stopper, so Leslie will show up with a binder full of notes on the history of the waffle... And with Ron Swanson as judge, you can be sure the technical challenge will involve meat with the baking in some way, shape, and form. ;) 

Thanks for your flexibility. I will do a breakfast baking themed week for Parks and Rec. Going to start researching baked goods for our favorite Pawnee citizens to bake! :D 

• Like 1

UnluckyStar57

@adorably cute no problem! Number 6 is Alternative Ingredients Week from season 6. (Lol, you keep picking the numbers with off-the-wall themes! You can switch numbers one more time if Alternative Ingredients isn't good either, or you can choose your own theme/season if that suits you better.)

@Chemical_Pixie Ron would totally make them do something with meat for a technical challenge. What a guy. 😂

***I'm going to make a "Revealed Numbers" category in my list so that people can claim numbers if they like the theme!***

~*~*~*~*~*~

Revealed Numbers:

Number 2--Biscuit Week, s5

Number 18—Spice Week, s9

Takers:

Chemical_Pixie--Breakfast Themed; Parks & Rec

PaulaTheProkaryote--number 13 (Tudor Week, s7); Pride & Prejudice; Elizabeth/Darcy

Maybes:

adorably-cute--number 6 (Alternative Ingredients Week, s6); Harry Potter

Edited by UnluckyStar57

adorably cute
1 hour ago, UnluckyStar57 said:

no problem! Number 6 is Alternative Ingredients Week from season 6. (Lol, you keep picking the numbers with off-the-wall themes! You can switch numbers one more time if Alternative Ingredients isn't good either, or you can choose your own theme/season if that suits you better.)

haha i do keep getting wild ones! alternative ingredients may work though, something is swirling around, at least for now! if i want to switch again (or choose my own), i'll let you know! thank you!

UnluckyStar57

Hey guys!!! I need to make one alteration to the way I've been talking about this challenge!

As per the HPFT Archive, we can't put living people in our stories, but we can mention them. That includes Paul Hollywood, Mary Berry, and any of the contestants. I don't want my challenge to make anyone run afoul of the Site Guidelines, so I'm going to err on the side of caution and say that we should NOT feature those living people as characters in the challenge entries. They can be mentioned, but no dialogue or anything beyond a quick mention. 

Sorry for changing things. It's completely my bad for forgetting the Site Guidelines, since I've been away for awhile. I hope that doesn't mess anyone up!

lovegood27

Ooh, Bakeoff AUs, this looks so fun!! Can I see number 9 please? And a dish, since my creative flow has been virtually non existent recently :P

I’ll be a maybe for now with HP, probably either Drarry or Marauders :) 

UnluckyStar57

@lovegood27 sorry it took me so long to get back to you! I know what you mean by nonexistent creative flow, so I'm excited that you're trying my challenge out! :) Number 9 is Patisserie Week from season 6, and I randomly picked Tamal's dish, Passionfruit-and-Mango and Pistachio & Raspberry Religieuse a l'ancienne. I hope this sparks something for you! If not, I can give you a different dish or you can pick another number. 

Also, attached is a picture of Tamal's dish for your reference!

~*~*~*~*~*~

Revealed Numbers:

Number 2—Biscuit Week, s5

Number 18—Spice Week, s9

Takers:

Maybes:

lovegood27--number 9 (Patisserie Week, s6); Harry Potter; dish: Passionfruit-and-Mango and Pistachio & Raspberry Religieuse a l'ancienne

Tamal Religieuse.jpg

VaguelyCreativeName

Oh, I love the Bake Off! This seems super fun! Could I see number 14, please?

But I'll be a maybe for now, and I'll be writing HP :)

aelaia

Okay so here it is, possibly the worst written piece of all time but it's my first brand new spanking non-reworked piece in seven years... so I'm proud! 😂 Enter for complete ridiculousness.

When Death Eaters Make Dessert (T)

UnluckyStar57

@VaguelyCreativeName Hi there! I'm so sorry that it took so long to get back to you--school has started again, so I've been running around like a chicken with its head cut off! Number 14 is Biscuit Week from Season 8, and I will mark you down as a maybe.

***(edit to add that I LOVE your aroace badger icon!!)

@aelaia yay! The first completed entry! I will put your entry beside your name in the "Takers" category in my masterlist and I will review it tonight!

~*~*~*~*~*~

Revealed Numbers:

Number 2—Biscuit Week, s5 

Number 18—Spice Week, s9

Takers:

aelaia--number 4 (Dessert Week, s5); When Death Eaters Make Dessert (T)

Maybes:

lovegood27--number 9 (Patisserie Week, s6); Harry Potter; dish: Passionfruit-and-Mango and Pistachio & Raspberry Religieuse a l'ancienne

VaguelyCreativeName--number 14 (Biscuit Week, s8); Harry Potter

Edited by UnluckyStar57

juls

ok - I don't have a S7 labeled on my Netflix of Great British Bake off, but the first one that pops in the menu is from S4 E6. So, I'm running from there and rewatching it. (American Nextflix has them all screwy anyhow. Sorry!) (It is season seven - see, screwy labeling rofl!)

Signature bake is a Citrus Meringue Pie

Technical is 2 Herb Fougasse

Showstopper is 3-tier Flower Cake.

thanks! *crossing my fingers on this*

UnluckyStar57

@juls that's the right episode! I have American Netflix too, so I mainly just Googled what the theme was for that particular episode. Definitely go for it! The Botanicals Week was a really interesting one (in my opinion lol).

Also @aelaia, I'm such a liar liar pants on fire. I promise that I will review your story tonight, and if that fails, by the end of the weekend!

• Like 1

juls

@UnluckyStar57, I'm not sure if you posted this or not (and I missed it, if you did!)

Can we use the story for more than one challenge?

Edited by juls

UnluckyStar57

@juls I believe I forgot to mention that. Yes, you may combine challenges with this one! :D

• Thanks 1