Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Our February Bulletin is up - check it out for a quick HPFT orientation or refresher!
  • The FROGS reading list has been posted!
  • The Great Collab of 2018-19 is underway!
Sign in to follow this  
ReillyJade

Wizards in the 21st Century

ReillyJade

Hey all!

So I've been thinking a lot about the Next-Gen lately because I have another story idea that I absolutely have zero time for, and it got me wondering about how different (or not-so-different) the next-gen kids' lives would be from those of their parents. Not only are they living in the post-wizarding-war world, but the actual Muggle world has changed a lot over the past couple of decades.

I’ve been thinking specifically about Muggle technology, because it’s evolved so much since the nineties. What kind of effect, if any, does it have on the wizarding world? Does the community embrace it, ignore it completely, or does it become a generational thing? (Like, I can totally see Teddy, James, and the like embracing texting, Google, etc. while the older generation is like "???" - kinda like a Boomer vs. Millennial type of deal. :p)

If it does make it’s way into the wizarding world, how far does it go? Does it impact the Ministry, or even Hogwarts? We know that magic and electricity don't get along, but do some brilliant witches and wizards find ways around that so that magical folk can use Muggle devices? 

Personally, I imagine wizards, particularly those in the next-gen and beyond, using some Muggle technology in their personal lives, especially when they interact with Muggles. (If you’re dating a Muggle, for instance, good luck doing that in the 2010s without a cell phone, you know? lol.) But I don’t see Hogwarts or anything else changing to accommodate said technology, at least not right away.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this? My apologies if it’s been discussed on here already, but these are the things that keep me awake at night.😋

Edited by ReillyJade

wildest dreams

I just have this deep feeling in my soul - especially based on how I know the british government and older generations here tend to view technology is that beyond the Arthur Weasleys of the world most older generations of the wizarding world wouldn't try to keep up with technology at all - even harry's generation might have more of a clue but still be in the realm of like 'well i don't really need it'

However, I absolutely think their kids would be super into and not find it weird at all to incorporate technology into how they use their magic already, and I can imagine lots of times they're posting stuff with magic in it and just trying to pass it off as like 'oh i'm just good at special effects' and can you imagine that like weird area of niche youtube where it's just teenagers doing strange things and being like 'haha it was all a trick' I think it'd be super interesting! But I also like to hope they'd maybe be shielded a bit from like instagram/twitter culture and stuff like that and use the internet as more of a place of creative expression and communication, rather than worrying too much about what's upsetting everyone else! I do, however, absolutely not think Hogwarts would accommodate technology even now - maybe as more students start to use it these days they'd be looking into it! 

Also listen, owls are great but in a world where instant messaging is a thing I definitely think teenagers of today would want to keep up with muggles, but then you have to imagine older wizards being like 'in my day we just stuck our heads through the fire like civilized people' 

• Like 1

ReillyJade
53 minutes ago, wildest dreams said:

However, I absolutely think their kids would be super into and not find it weird at all to incorporate technology into how they use their magic already, and I can imagine lots of times they're posting stuff with magic in it and just trying to pass it off as like 'oh i'm just good at special effects' and can you imagine that like weird area of niche youtube where it's just teenagers doing strange things and being like 'haha it was all a trick' I think it'd be super interesting! But I also like to hope they'd maybe be shielded a bit from like instagram/twitter culture and stuff like that and use the internet as more of a place of creative expression and communication, rather than worrying too much about what's upsetting everyone else

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I can def see the kids using technology to enhance their way of life, but not allow it to completely take it over. Like, I don't see magical kids having their eyes glued to their screens 24/7 the way some people (unfortunately) do. It's definitely interesting to think about!

57 minutes ago, wildest dreams said:

Also listen, owls are great but in a world where instant messaging is a thing I definitely think teenagers of today would want to keep up with muggles, but then you have to imagine older wizards being like 'in my day we just stuck our heads through the fire like civilized people' 

Haha, yes! I have now decided that this conversation definitely happened between Lucius and Scorpius. 😛 

• Like 1

adorably cute
1 hour ago, wildest dreams said:

i am dead at this 😂 actually too hilarious

anyway, i feel like a lot of technology was designed to make our lives easier, which when you think about it, magic does anyway? so i'm sure a lot of the stuff we have they wouldn't bother with but i do agree that by the time the next gen kids were around, they would all gathered around their cell phones at family gatherings and getting a lot of passive aggressive comments about the old days when you didn't need a tiny screen to keep kids entertained and they all just played outside. i definitely agree about hogwarts not integrating the way that families and houses would.  honestly though, i feel like there are enough muggleborns and halfbloods at hogwarts though that social media would definitely be a thing. just thinking about how big instagram is right now and like twitter/snapchat/facebook, at this point, i feel like we always have at least one "hot" platform and then a few others and i think that would carryover. some tech savvy kid would definitely pull something wizard specific together for them all to use

starbuck

i actually don't think they'd embrace muggle technology in a way that they'd just use the muggle things - they didn't in the HP books so i don't really see them doing it in the future. what i do think is that something similar would evolve in the wizarding world, ie their own social media platform. (btw instant messaging - some kind of protean charm on papers? cell phones - two way mirrors) with the statute of secrecy i don't think they'd be able to have their youtube videos posted for muggles to see even if they just said oh yeah it was only a trick. :hmm: and hogwarts....wouldn't change. at least i don't think so. :shrugs:

Edited by starbuck

beyond the rain

I know that muggle technology didn't/wasn't allowed at Hogwarts because it interfered with magic (i.e mp3 players etc) so students would have to try and get around that issue. 

But I feel like Hannah ( @wildest dreams ) said it all for me - I agree with everything she said!

Recent Badges

Margaret

I feel like things would almost have to change at Hogwarts. Otherwise, how would Muggleborns explain to their friends that "I'm going to boarding school and I won't be able to e-mail or facebook or skype or text or phone you"? Or how would their parents explain it to their aunts and uncles and cousins: "you can't even phone them to say 'happy birthday.'" I suppose it could be a really strict school that didn't allow technology, but that would only be convincing from some families.

On the other hand, it sounds like technology just doesn't work at Hogwarts but there might be ways of getting something similar working by magic.

I totally agree that older purebloods would shun it completely and I can see the children of pureblood families like Scorpius Malfoy being completely forbidden to use "Muggle nonsense," but people from Muggleborn or half-blood families would probably be more interested. I imagine Hermione would want her children to keep up with innovations in both worlds. I can't see her hiding any form of knowledge from them.

Enora Gray

This is giving me ideas for a fan fiction... 

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this