Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Our February Bulletin is up - check it out for a quick HPFT orientation or refresher!
  • The FROGS reading list has been posted!
  • The Great Collab of 2018-19 is underway!
Sign in to follow this  
800 words of heaven

Reading Challenge 2019

800 words of heaven

With the dawn of 2019, rises a new reading challenge! :cheering:

Like last year, there's no set goal! Set your individual reading goals for the year, and share your progress with the rest of us! We're all here to cheer each other on!

Post a list of your goals AND/OR books read AND/OR currently reading AND/OR to read!

The goals don't just have to be number-based - if you want to read more books in translation this year, for example, share (and inspire :loveshower:)!

Double posting is allowed, but please wait a few days before posting any update of your ongoing list.

Happy reading, fellow 2019-ers! :bouncing:

• Like 2

galadriel

i'm doing things a bit differently this year to make sure i don't feel like a complete failure at the end of it. 

• one book a month, so a minimum target of 12 books a year (i miss those days when i had all the time in the world to read 4 books a week but alas!)
  • no simultaneous reading of multiple books - my attention tends to wander bc there are just so many good books! but this year, i'm only allowed to start reading something new if i'm done with the previous one
  • i need to stop collecting books & letting them gather dust (metaphorically; i actually keep them clean) so it's time to steadily work my way through the pile of unread books

so excited for all the reading to be done this year! :D

reading list

1. Bridge of Clay - Marcus Zusak

• Like 1

Recent Badges

crestwood

First time doing one of these for me! I'm going to set myself a manageable goal of 25 and also count re-reads (but hopefully not nothing but those) 

I'm currently reading a few so I'll start off my list! 

1. They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us - Hanif Abdurraqib

2. Things Fall Apart - Chinua Achebe

3. The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett

• Like 1

Felpata_Lupin

Last year I failed miserably, but I'm going to try again this year, and I'm too going to set myself the goal of one book per month. Let's hope this works...

First book on my list: Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater 

• Like 1

ShadowRose

my goal for this year is to read 25 nonfiction books - i'm not forcing myself to only read nonfiction, but i'm just not counting fiction towards my total.

currently reading

1. becoming by michelle obama
  • Like 1

adorably cute

goal again is to read 25 books this year. i uhhh failed miserably in that last year, but i feel like i should be able to credit myself for at least three for the 1000+ page text book i had to read to study for boards last summer (in which case,  i still failed miserably but less so). i have a few books piled up that i'd like to get to this year, as well as some on my kindle wish list that i've been wanting to read for a while, so hoping all that will get me motivated (or you know, shame me into doing so)

currently reading

1. becoming by michelle obama
  2. a game of thrones by george rr martin

(lol 99% chance a game of thrones stays on my currently reading list all year long 😂)

• Like 1

lovegood27
Posted (edited)

I’m just setting myself a goal of at least 2 books every month, because normally I end up not reading at all then going on a sudden spree and reading 15 books in a month. I’m also trying to expand my variety...so actually reading nonfiction books, for example.

A few books I’ve been wanting to read for a while are The secret history by donna tartt, A court of thorns and roses series by sarah j maas (I’ve heard mixed reviews on them so I’ll give it a go, I guess?) and The book thief by markus zusak.

Currently reading

- Another day gone by eliza graham

- The pier falls by mark haddon

Edited by lovegood27
  • Like 2

Unwritten Curse

My main goal is to read my age in books. Since I turn 29 this year, that's what I'm going with. Smaller goals are listed below.

[READ: 0/29]

Goals:

1. Read from diverse authors [0/10]
2. Read nonfiction [0/?]
3. Listen to audiobooks [0/?]

Currently Reading: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

• Like 1

800 words of heaven

First finished book of the year!

15) Girl Squads: 20 Female Friendships that Changed History - Sam Maggs

scooterbug8515

I actually get to participate this year and my goal is a minimum of 52 books - that's a book a week.  (A number I need to maintain for my book blog).  My real goal is to have this number sooner than the end of the year so I can work on another project I want to blog about but I need to be ahead of schedule on basic book blogs. I'll start my list off with:

1. The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankwiler by E. L. Kongisburg

(Please note that my order of reading is not always the order that books appear on my blog.)

• Like 1

sapphicsunrise
Posted (edited)

i'm in with a goal of 25 books this year for fun - this means i'm not counting anything i read for my thesis. i want to make sure i'm allowing myself time to read for fun, and one of my new year's resolutions is to spend more time reading and less time mindlessly scrolling social media, so we'll see how i go.

READ: 1/25

1. The Habsburg Empire: A Very Short Introduction by Martyn Rady

Edited by sapphicsunrise
  • Like 2

MalfoysAngel
On 1/3/2019 at 7:06 AM, scooterbug8515 said:

I actually get to participate this year and my goal is a minimum of 52 books - that's a book a week.  (A number I need to maintain for my book blog).  My real goal is to have this number sooner than the end of the year so I can work on another project I want to blog about but I need to be ahead of schedule on basic book blogs. I'll start my list off with:

1. The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankwiler by E. L. Kongisburg

(Please note that my order of reading is not always the order that books appear on my blog.)

Omg Carrie I loved that book when I was a little girl! 

Anyway my goal this this year is to read a book that I’ve never read every month and one “classic” this year. (In addition to many rereads that I will list here but they don’t count towards my goal)

currently reading: The Rake who Rescued Me by Samantha Holt(Rated M)

I’m a sucker for historical romance so send me your recommendations!

• Like 2

wildest dreams

This is the perfect reading challenge for me because i've failed miserably at reading the last two years and now I have a massive pile of books that are unread and I can't help buying more! My goal for this year is ten books but i'm hoping to get through more!

Currently Reading

Becoming by Michelle Obama

• Like 1

scooterbug8515

Well, my reading has gotten off to a really good start.  (I'll admit that the last two books I had trouble putting down so that helped, particularly after starting and dropping 2 dud's.)

1. The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankwiler by E. L. Kongisburg
2. The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James
3. This is Kind of an Epic Love Story by Kheryn Callender (Highly recc this book for diversity pushes M rating)

(Please note that my order of reading is not always the order that books appear on my blog.)

• Like 1

Aphoride

I'm trying to read 40 books this year - I tried 50 last year, spent at least 2 months not reading anything at all and ended up with 34 books read, so I think 40 is a much better bet ^_^ 

Books Read: 

1.  A Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Jules Verne

Currently Reading: 

1. Le deuxieme sexe II - Simone de Beauvoir
  2. Shantaram - Gregory David Roberts
  3. From the Earth to the Moon - Jules Verne
  • Like 1

galadriel

having to write an essay on world-building gave me the perfect excuse to binge-read three books today. 

Books Read:

1. Animorphs: The Invasion - K. A. Applegate

2. Animorphs: The Visitor - K. A. Applegate

3. Animorphs: The Encounter - K. A. Applegate

Currently Reading:

1. Animorphs: The Message

2. Bridge of Clay 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

800 words of heaven
On 1/6/2019 at 12:05 PM, MalfoysAngel said:

I’m a sucker for historical romance so send me your recommendations!

Oh, man. I used to read so much historical romance. Now, I only read a couple of authors. My faves are Julia Quinn and Courtney Milan. Quinn does wonderful, light comedy-dramas, and Milan is all about the drama - but also all about the feminism and ethnic diversity.

On 1/6/2019 at 11:19 AM, sapphicsunrise said:

one of my new year's resolutions is to spend more time reading and less time mindlessly scrolling social media

I'm trying to cut down on my social media use, too, and it's so difficult? Like, why?!

Read:
63) The Disasters - MK England

• Like 1

BellaLestrange87

I'm aiming for 50 this year. Other than that, my only goal is to not add any more books to my TBR because it's already 900 books long come on Olivia

READ:

1. Bleak House – Charles Dickens
  2. Philosophy of Science: A Very Brief Introduction – Samir Okasha

CURRENTLY READING:

1. The Radiance of France: Nuclear Power and National Identity After World War II - Gabrielle Hecht
  • Like 1

scooterbug8515

1. The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankwiler by E. L. Kongisburg
2. The Loneliest Girl in the Universe by Lauren James
3. This is Kind of an Epic Love Story by Kheryn Callender (Highly recc this book for diversity pushes M rating)
4. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertall
5. Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones (started in 2018 finished in 2019)

(Please note that my order of reading is not always the order that books appear on my blog.)

• Like 1

galadriel

so glad the animorphs books are quick reads, they make me feel super productive and are great for getting back in the reading zone. my personal goal is to finish the series this month and then move on to heavier books. I guess my goal of 12 books this year has gone out the window. :P

Books Read:

#1 to #39 - Animorphs

Currently Reading: 

Animorphs book 40

• Like 1

Recent Badges

Unwritten Curse

[READ: 1/29]

1. They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera

Goals:

1. Read from diverse authors [0/10]
2. Read nonfiction [0/10]
3. Listen to audiobooks [1/10]

(Still) Currently Reading: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

• Like 1

adorably cute

the final season of a series of unfortunate events came out on netflix earlier this month so i've stared re-reading that series

finished

1. the bad beginning by lemony snicket

currently reading

1. becoming by michelle obama
  2. a game of thrones by george rr martin
  • Like 1

800 words of heaven
On 1/12/2019 at 9:50 PM, BellaLestrange87 said:

Other than that, my only goal is to not add any more books to my TBR because it's already 900 books long come on Olivia

Is there a such thing as not adding more books to your TBR? I think not!

88) The Frame-up - Meghan Molin Scott

BellaLestrange87

READ:

1. Bleak House – Charles Dickens
  2. Philosophy of Science: A Very Brief Introduction – Samir Okasha
  3. The Radiance of France: Nuclear Power and National Identity After World War II – Gabrielle Hecht
  4. Gentlemen and Players – Joanne Harris
  5. Subjected to Science: Human Experimentation in America Before the Second World War – Susan E. Lederer

CURRENTLY READING:

1. The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver

I would like to point out that book #5 is for a history of medicine in America class :ninja:

• Like 1

800 words of heaven

88) The Frame-up - Meghan Molin Scott
94) The Blue - Nancy Bilyeau

Sign in to follow this