Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • FROGS Voting is upon us! Cast your vote by 4:59 AM GMT March 6.
abhorsen.

Sorting Ceremony

Scarlet_Roth

The old and seemingly uncared for and definitely undusted Hat shouted "SLYTHERIN" before it even touched my head!  I think there were a few centimeters between my head and that hat!  As I got up to walk to my new house, the Hat whispered, "learn occlumency, I can hear your ambition before you sat down."  Well.  Now I know what I need to do next.

• Like 1

Enora Gray

Best be Gryffindor!

• Like 2

Bunbury

"Let's see," said the hat, sliding past Bunbury's eyes and obscuring her view of the Hall.  "You positively recoil from toil. And indeed from most things, ruling out Hufflepuff and Gryffindor." 

"Perhaps," suggested Bunbury hopefully, "I possess wit beyond measure and all that?"

"I think not," sneered the hat. "No, for you there can only be one choice. . .SLYTHERIN!" 

• Like 2

KJ Cartmell

I'm hardworking and loyal to my friends. I still keep in touch with people I've known from primary school, and I've been married now for over 27 years. So, yes, I'm a Hufflepuff, as is my main hero, Liam Wren. I have a good understanding of Slytherins, however. (In my other life, I work in sales, which is full of Slytherins.) I have some great Slytherin characters, and I enjoy telling their stories.

• Like 2

Lacey Black

An older lady walked from behind the long dining table at the front of the room to stand before the group of students before her.   She had in her hands a rather old looking hat as she addressed the children.  Lacey Avery looked around her at the long tables full of students.  Ravenclaw, Huffle Puff, Gryffindor and Slytherin.  Two of which were her most likely of options, considering both her parents were from Slytherin House themselves she was pretty sure that’s where she should end up. 

The woman, who had introduced herself as Professor McGonagall, said various names and one by one students were sorted.  Lacey noticed a very nice looking boy looking anxiously at the hat; waiting for his turn.  He was well dressed with dark hair and had an air about him that set him apart from others.  He was talking with a taller boy with glasses and they seemed to be having a very animated conversation. 

She knew who that was. His name was James Potter.  She had heard the girls talking about him on the ride into Hogwarts. The boys suddenly looked your way. James flashed you an amused smile, obviously having caught you staring.   

The professor called the name “Sirius Black” and she watched the boy she didn’t know, who she now decided was quite fit, sit down in the chair.  She knew of the House of Black well.  Her parents ensured Lacey knew of all the right sort of people.

The professor had the hat positioned right above the chair so when she dropped it it fell right atop his head.  The hat took longer to sort him then it did other students but soon he was announced to be in Gryffindor.  James Potter, Lily Evans, Peter Pettigrew and a couple others were called and one by one they were all sorted into Gryffindor House.  

“Lacey Avery?”  Professor McGonagall gave her a rather incredulous look as she made her way to the front of the room.  She pretended not to notice the professor look back at the Headmaster and share a secret look with him. Lacey didn’t know what exactly the look meant, but was certain it was about her, or likely her family name. 

Lacey was not quite sure she was ready for this but the hat fell upon her head and she knew, ready or not, it was time for her to be placed in a house.

“Ahh, an Avery I see, cunning and resourceful I see no doubt, but courageous and honourable by far is your strongest points,  where to put you then my dear.”

she noticed the students listening to the hat speak.  

*Slytherin right?* she thought to herself, her parents wouldn’t have it any other way.

”You would do well in Gryffindor you know.  You could be a great Hero!”

*My parents would die if they heard this, no it’s has to be Slytherin! Please? Slytherin!* She thought as loudly as possible to get the message across to the hat how dire it was that she be placed in Slytherin.

”if you’re sure, then it will be ...Slytherin ...” the hat seemed very obviously displeased with her choice but honoured it nonetheless.

She stood up and noticed a very curious House of Black boy staring at her. She guessed it wasn’t every day someone passed up the opportunity to be a perfect little Gryffindor.  

• Like 2

Noelle Zingarella

“Zingarella, Noelle,” Professor McGonagall’s crisp voice announced.

I was shifting around, unable to stand still while I waited for my name to be called. In a way, it was good to always be last. It meant that whatever I was waiting for would finally be over by the time it was my turn. On the other hand, it also meant that I had plenty of time for my anxiety to build while I stood there watching everyone else.

I was very good at hiding my anxiety. Whenever I told people that I was nervous, they always seemed surprised. “It’s all on the inside,” I would say with a smile. It was all on the inside now, my heart racing, my hands numb as I approached the sorting hat. I wished that we didn’t have to do this in front of the whole school. I was the first witch in my family and no one had any experience with this world. I had been a bit surprised that my parents had let me come to Hogwarts, but I supposed that they were just happy to have me out of their hair. They never seemed to like me very much.

I took a deep breath and sat down on the stool. Professor McGonagall put the hat on my head and it promptly fell over my eyes. It felt warm and comfortable, like an old t-shirt. I didn’t know if I should feel grateful that I didn’t have to look at the room for a few minutes, or claustrophobic. Before I could settle on one or the other, I jumped as I heard a voice inside my head.

“Hmmm…interesting,” the hat was saying. “Some brains…rather loyal…quite determined….but it looks like bravery is your strongest point….”

“That can’t be right,” I thought back. “No offense, I mean…”

“None taken, none taken, but yes, I think bravery will have to define you.”

“But I’m afraid of everything!” I protested.

“Being brave doesn’t mean that you lack fear,” the hat whispered in my brain. “Being brave simply means that you do what is necessary in spite of your fear.”

“Oh…”

“So, better be—-GRYFFINDOR!!”

I flinched as the hat shouted its decision and McGonigall removed it from my head. My face was burning as I walked sheepishly over to the table of the other cheering Gryffindors. I tried to smile, but as I looked at them, I wondered if I could possibly fit in with them. As I approached the table, most of the Gryffindors turned their attention to the staff table. One pudgy boy, a few years older than me, seemed to notice my discomfort though. He gave me a shy smile and gestured to the empty chair next to him.

“You can sit here,” he said, turning a bit red at his boldness.

“Thanks,” I answered. “I’m Noelle.”

“I’m Neville.”  We shook hands and I felt my heart start to calm down. Maybe things wouldn’t be so bad here after all.

• Like 1
  • Gryffindor 1

Recent Badges

Wolfram

Better be... Ravenclaw! 

• Like 2
  • Ravenclaw 3

bsk

Best be.. Slytherin!

• Like 1
  • Slytherin 5

elsinore

loyal, hardworking...better be Hufflepuff!

• Like 1
  • Hufflepuff 4

miss-eee

Hufflepuff

• Like 1
  • Hufflepuff 3

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.