Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Happy Pride month! <3
  • Congratulations to all of our house award winners!
  • The House Cup Finale is underway! Check out the Campaign Headquarters sub-forum for more information.
Sign in to follow this  
crowsb4bros

Anonymous Feedback Form

crowsb4bros

We've provided an anonymous feedback form that you can use for anonymous site suggestions, feedback, concerns, questions, etc here+. 

Your name, email address, etc will not be collected. You may continue to use tumblr asks anonymously as well if you prefer. :) 

Just like with tumblr asks, we will respond to all posts that require a response. If you'd prefer your comment not to be posted and responded to, please mention it in your anonymous feedback! 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Recent Badges

crowsb4bros

So that your concerns are answered when necessary, we will go ahead and address them here as well: 

Last year HPFT celebrated National Black History Month (1-Feb to 28-Feb) yet did nothing for National Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (1-May to 31-May) nor National Hispanic History Month (15-Sep to 15-Oct). Both of these comprise the largest growing minorities in the US currently and have representation among the authors in the forums. Will HPFT also be celebrating these minorities this year or continue to only pay homage to National Black History Month?

Good question! :) We have historically done a month long push for Black History Month because we have the content to do so. We have well over 30 stories prominently featuring black characters. We also do a large LGBT push in June because our forum has an abundance. For those stories, we tend to post daily fic recs on tumblr (and twitter if feasible), along with reblogging face claims and edits that fit those months. 

Unfortunately, historically we haven't had enough stories to do month long daily fic recs for Asian Pacific Heritage Month or for Hispanic History Month (though I think we probably are coming close now). For Asian Pacific Heritage Month, the last years we've posted all fics under the tags Asian, East Asian, South Asian, and South-East Asian as a fic rec post (divided into those tags) and reblogged appropriate face claims/edits/etc and I believe a list of Asian authors to check out (Check out Saints and Misfits if you're looking for a rec right now, it was cheesy and good and stands out to me). 

You're right though that we should include Hispanic History Month for sure and we'll work on queuing those posts asap! I can think of several fics we could use that would fit that. If you have any additional suggestions on how we can be more inclusive or any ideas for SM that are reasonable (we're a team of volunteers that do a lot every single month so there's no way we could do like picspams every day or anything like that), please let us know! We also are happy to feature all appropriate submitted content and there's a thread on both the main site and in each of your common rooms to do so! 

• Like 4

Recent Badges

crowsb4bros

Staff need to take into consideration that not everyone has the same reviewing style when it comes to the current house cup event. Some leave semi-professional reviews critiquing prose and description. Some leave reviews that read like a laid back conversation between reader and author. Both styles are valid!

We appreciate that not everyone has the same reviewing style, but we also want the event reviews to be meaningful and provide substantial feedback not only for the author's sake (although many enjoy short squeeing reviews, most appreciate reviews that provide feedback as well), but also for the sake of fair game play. It's much faster to skim a story, keyboard smash a 150 character review, and post on repeat than show that you've read the story. We don't count the characters used for greetings and sign-offs because they don't actually pertain to the story you're reviewing. You can have a laid back, conversation style review that also demonstrates you've both read the story and what you think about the story. That's my personal preferred reviewing style.;)

• Like 6

Recent Badges

crowsb4bros

Obviously sometimes things don't work out first go around and that's ok, but I'd just like to give some feedback on the Great Collab so far -- I don't think it works as an event that runs as an "undercurrent" alongside other events because it's a QUANTITY-based event rather than a QUALITY-based one. The quantity aspect creates a constant pressure that's easily overwhelming as soon as you combine it with other things happening at the same time (e.g. menagerie, wish lists), whereas if it were quality based I don't think the same pressure to create would be there. I'm also worried about community burnout -- although sometimes the breaks are a month long, it doesn't *feel* like a month's break and while the events are ongoing they feel very stressful and the tasks insurmountable, sometimes. I don't know how to fix this, particularly when it's related to some houses having more members than others, I just wanted to raise it because I know that there are many people who just have a blanket policy of staying away from house cup stuff because it's too stressful and that seems like the wrong kind of vibe we want to give for a community about a children's book series, you know?

We try to spice events up to keep them new and interesting, which is informed by a combination of feedback we receive during the end of year survey and our own observations of past events. In doing the collab as opposed to a shorter-term writing competition, one thing we'd hoped to do was alleviate some of the pressure of the writing event rather than intensify it. We're still figuring out the kinks, and we appreciate your feedback.

• Like 4

Recent Badges

crowsb4bros

We'll be replying to these monthly from here on out. 

We've received quite a bit of feedback regarding the reviewing event and so I'll address the subjects mentioned here without posting each individual response. The general response was that you liked the review event, but found that we should have posted clearer rules. As with all events, if we find an issue popping up repeatedly, we will do our best to further clarify the rules so that it's obvious and easy to interpret while keeping fair play in mind. We greatly appreciate the feedback we've received to let us know which rules were not as clear as they could have been. During event planning, we try our best to foresee every possible scenario that comes up and adjust the rules accordingly, but unfortunately we don't have a mastery of that superpower just yet. We also received a bit of feedback about a handful of reviews that were disqualified for length. I'm the first person guilty of going on rambling tangents irrelevant to the story or review at hand (sorry for all those forced to witness it ?). Our goal isn't to make the reviews entirely feedback oriented or even "professional" in quality. It's to make sure they are meaningful and relevant. We'll post a better explanation on future reviewing events so that it's clear what our expectation is. We understand that leaving reviews that are ultimately disqualified can be frustrating and we recognize that there were instances where better communication between staff and teams as well as paired houses could have resulted in better game play for all. We're looking into ways to improve communication for all other events so they can be even more fun. 

• Like 5

Recent Badges

crowsb4bros

Hi guys! Back with some monthly feedback responses! 

Can we please get an update on the House Cup point soon? We haven't had a proper points update since after the Halloween event, and that was four months ago now. We've had two major events since then, and I have been dying to know the new standings. And I'm sure I'm not the only one too. I miss the days when we used to get points updates once every four or five weeks or so. Or at least after every major event during last year's house cup. That was really nice to have. I'm not sure who's in charge of doing that, but is there any way that you guys could please try to start updating the points tally thing at the top of the site more often again? Thank you.

We will definitely work harder in the future to prioritize updating the House Cup scores more frequently! It's something we mean to do and often forget about at the end of the month. Rest assured, our only event that was for House Cup points was the Menagerie since the last update though. Not all events that we run are House Cup events. We don’t necessarily award points for general site events, including the holiday gift exchange and NaNoWriMo. We do include things like head student and other regular site activities each month which are a lot of small points stacking up, but we’re just behind a single event. :) We’ll try to be more prompt in the future.

Over the past year there have been increasingly less subtle signs that US politics are creeping into our site. Has HPFT aligned itself politically or is it truly the inclusive safe haven it purports to be? Inclusive here meaning including even those whose political beliefs don’t necessarily align with the admins? Because it’s beginning to feel like inclusive doesn’t mean everyone. Take for instance the person who put forth the poorly-worded question as to whether every story needed to have a LGBTQ or POC character. Or look at the hangman game during the HC opener and how the final round featured not only positive gifs of the former POTUS but also a negative hangman story casting shade on the current POTUS. What’s next, the requirement to divulge how one cast their vote last election or plans to next time in order to become a member? Shouldn’t a straight, white, conservative Christian member should feel as included/welcomed as a gay, black, liberal atheist? If that’s not the case, perhaps HPFT shouldn’t pat itself on the back too hard for being "inclusive".

HPFT has no political or religious affiliation. We do not police political or religious beliefs, and provided a member of the site is adhering to our ToS and not explicitly promoting a hate group (e.g., Nazis), they are free to express those beliefs on the site (though we have and will continue to discourage members from frequently posting explicitly political content). We generally do not police people's posts on social media (the exceptions would be extreme situations like targeted abuse or harassment in DMs, doxxing, etc). We leave it to individuals to choose who and what content they feel comfortable interacting with, both on and off-site. All members are free to read, write, and review stories that include as many or as few LGBTQIA+ or PoC characters as they wish. Similarly, all members are welcome to express why they do or don't do so; whatever your beliefs, you will only be disciplined if you break ToS (though we reserve the right to lock heated discussions even if disciplinary actions are not warranted). You are welcome to avoid people who have different preferences or perspectives, and if anyone is ever singled out because of that, we encourage them to contact the staff.

If two of our admins, including the head of the archives, are noted for their beautiful graphics, why does the archive still have an out-of-box banner that doesn’t relate to the site? It’s embarrassing when smaller archives can achieve this feat while we flail about. Even the dreaded archive that-shall-not-be-named, otherwise known as HPFF, has managed to forgo a generic appearance, and we know following their latest Twitter fiasco they aren't the brightest of minds. To further compound the matter, one of our own members runs a smaller yet more aesthetically coordinated archive - Gluttony, to be specific. Certainly, it can’t be too difficult a task to send this member an inquiry regarding how the change a banner. Provided that is if our problem is one of lacking the necessary technological acuity and not one of sheer obstinance.

There are several additions we'd love to include in the archive, including adding more exciting headers; it's been on our radar for awhile. ^_^  However, as you note, HPFT's archive isn't small; our team of validators typically validates 200+ chapters a month, and we're usually working on other things behind-the-scenes as well to make sure that the archive continues to fit the needs of our community. Our goal is to have several new additions to the archive to share with you sometime this spring, including a more distinctive look. In the meantime, if any member would like to take the initiative and make a fandom-based header for us to use for the next few months while we get those changes in place, we absolutely invite them to get in touch. ^_^

• Like 1

Recent Badges

crowsb4bros

Final feedback for the month! :) 

We've had someone reach out to ask us to define "targeted harassment."

We can't define the entire limits of targeted harassment because there will always be scenarios that we haven't considered. Targeted harassment would be crossing boundaries to campaign to silence or attack someone after measures to deescalate have occurred. Some examples of this could be repeatedly messaging someone to berate them, creating a new account after someone has blocked you specifically to message them, having others send on aggressive messages, or retaliatory measures on the forums/archives. Groups of people arguing over controversial topics would be considered heated discussions even when hostile words are exchanged in the heat of the moment. Both can leave all parties emotionally drained, upset, and exhausted and it can be difficult to recover from; we do not expect people to immediately recover, but as far as participation in our community goes, recovery should lean toward avoiding people, not repeatedly attacking them. 

We've also received some very uplifting general feedback and we just wanted to thank everyone for the supportive words. It means more to us than you could possibly know and we love this community! ❤️ 

• Like 8

Recent Badges

crowsb4bros

Hi guys! Here's our feedback for the month! (question edited for privacy)

I have a question about an answer to an issue a few weeks ago. In the response it was stated that "you are welcome to unfollow, mute, or block staff members/prefects on social media, you cannot ignore them on HPFT's forum, and staff members/prefects cannot ignore anyone else." So we can't ignore (as in using the site's "ignore" function) any staff or prefects? I certainly understand most of the reasoning behind this, but there are some staff members and prefects who I find extremely grating, and it would really improve my site experience if I didn't have to deal with people I find obnoxious. I'm sorry to sound rude here, but there are some people I have a really difficult time with, and it would be easier to stay kind to them if I did not have to see their posts. 

We understand that personality conflicts can exist with staff or prefects just like anyone else. However, ignoring them could impact your ability to see site or common room announcements; participate in events; and be contacted about infractions, concerns, or other site business. (For example, if a staff member you ignored posted an update to the rules for an event, you wouldn't see that update and might break the rule as a result.) Again, we understand your frustration; there's just not really an alternative at the moment.

That said, if there is any prefect or staff member whose behavior on the forums has made you feel uncomfortable or whose behavior anywhere falls under the umbrella of issues identified above - i.e., "extreme targeted harassment (not heated disagreements), doxxing (publishing private or identifying information about a particular individual), stalking, threatening behavior, etc " - we strongly encourage you to reach out to a staff member whom you do feel comfortable talking to. We'll step in to intervene if necessary. There will be no retaliation against you for raising a concern, and we will do everything we can to protect your privacy.

• Like 2

Recent Badges

crowsb4bros

Our feedback this month was a request for the FROGs 2019 winners list. 

You can check it out here+ in the staff blog along with all the shiny awards. For a complete list of all stories that made it to voting, check them out here+. 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

crowsb4bros

Feedback time! 

First off -- a huge round of high fives to the staffers who have always been working so hard to keep the site great. You all are wonderful humans ❤️ (even if some of you are cyborgs because the amounts of work is achieved is astounding and can only be done by robot people ;), in which case you are wonderful cyborgs). (Plus I recently read the bit about getting a bunch of negative feedback during a high-tension time during the site, so you all deserve some extra high fives.) Anyway, I was wondering if there was anything we, the members, could do to promote the core of the site? What I mean is that, HPFT to me (and many others) is a community for writing and reading, that has roots in (and yet has even gone much farther than) the Harry Potter fandom. It has some great resources and activities, and can be a safe place for discussions and varying viewpoints. I think that, especially during those times when tensions are high, that can quickly be forgotten. I was wondering if there was any way that either we as members could do something to remind ourselves and others of this, or if there could be some sort of yearly reminder (a blog post, a tweet, a game, or whatever it may be) given from the staff to reinforce these ideas. Understandably, people get angry about certain things, and anger, tension, and drama are things that can't always be avoided when mixing peoples of varying backgrounds and values. I just feel like we could all do with a good, solid, firm reminder of what we're all here for every now and again. Thanks so much for taking the time to read this! And thanks for all the work that you all do!

You caught us! We're definitely cyborgs working on our global domination plan! 😛 

We really appreciate members striving to promote the site and help our community flourish. The primary thing that would assist in keeping this site thriving is to use it. Every post you make, every event you participate in, every review you leave helps us be an active site for members to interact with. Posting some great blog posts, tweeting things that interest you from the site, and putting together anything for the ML team to post are all really great ways to contribute, and we'd love to hear from you if you have ideas for potential projects! 

Focusing on adding positive content to the community is also often a really effective way to deescalate tension that you find upsetting. Well-meaning attempts to play the peacemaker or restore harmony frequently lead to further hurt feelings. Tension generally dissipates, and if it doesn't, it's can be best to let people involved use the ignore/block buttons or just try to avoid each other.

I understand deadlines are part of the finale, but creating surprise tasks with a 48-hour deadline in the middle of the week creates nothing but stress and frustration and sadness. we'd all be happy to do 10 fic recs, and 3 picspams or blurbs, but a 48 hour deadline is absurd. We're all here doing this for fun in our spare time, and I think maybe more people would participate in the finale if it were less stressful.

We’re really sorry for causing frustration/sadness/stress—our goals with the finale are to make it fun and exciting and to engage participation without being too overwhelming. Like all the activities in the finale (and in all of our events), we designed the surprise event around a task that we felt would be challenging in a fun way but manageable if multiple team members worked together, and determined the deadline with that in mind. For this surprise event in particular, we wanted to design tasks that would feel rewarding if accomplished. We hear the feedback and will try to consider how we balance out the fun that a surprise task can have with the stress it can cause. 

We also received kind words and a potential game idea for future events! Thank you guys for providing your feedback this month! :) 

• Like 4

Recent Badges

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this