News Ticker

northbound24

northbound24

This short piece is for Prompt #2: "Everything is fine!" Everything was not fine.

The 'Eddie' character in this is from my A Halloween Wake story- he and Harry are 5th or 6th years here:

"Everything is fine!" Harry said while lying on a hospital wing bed, covered in dried blood.

Everything was not fine.

“So why does ya face look like a butcher’s counter?” Eddie said bluntly from the bedside, he didn’t look impressed not an expression Harry was used to seeing on the older boy’s rough-edged face.

“Crabbe and Goyle” Harry admitted, wincing as he sat up. Eddie placed the pillows carefully so Harry was comfortable.

“Idiot! I told ya t’ leave Malfoy alone, Harry!” there was no sympathy in the rebuke. “I’m th’ Chief Prefect! If my slimy cousin’s up t’ somethin’ I’ll prove it alrigh’?”

Word Count: 104

• Like 1

Hi! I really like what you've written for this prompt. Eddie is such an intriguing character and you've captured his voice so well in this. ^_^ 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, galadriel said:

Hi! I really like what you've written for this prompt. Eddie is such an intriguing character and you've captured his voice so well in this. ^_^ 

Thanks @galadriel 

Eddie's voice is key to everything. As he's the main focus of this I felt he needed a distinctive way of speaking compared to Harry's very bland speech patterns.

What would you say intrigues you about his character? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, northbound24 said:

What would you say intrigues you about his character? 

Honestly, I haven't read a lot of fics with original characters brought into the Hogwarts era, especially interacting with the main canon characters (if that makes sense). Eddie also seems a lot like Moody in a way, with his gruff, direct manner and the bit about him being Malfoy's cousin was a twist I didn't expect! So I think he's an interesting character overall, and I love how you've written him. :D I'll stop by your AP soon to check this out further. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, galadriel said:

Honestly, I haven't read a lot of fics with original characters brought into the Hogwarts era, especially interacting with the main canon characters (if that makes sense). Eddie also seems a lot like Moody in a way, with his gruff, direct manner and the bit about him being Malfoy's cousin was a twist I didn't expect! So I think he's an interesting character overall, and I love how you've written him. :D I'll stop by your AP soon to check this out further. 

The only story about Eddie I have is A Halloween Wake. Given he's an original character within the Wizarding World canon I have to work out how much of the world has altered via him and his family existing within it before I write anything else with him. The Moody like persona is something I didn't see coming but when I gave a role of authority to a very rural character like Eddie is meant to be, he would be very direct as Harry would try and deflect off him. 

And in my head Eddie's annoyed that Dumbledore gave him authority anyway. Malfoy being Eddie's cousin is both for the humour of the situation and the fact that I'm taking the 'every wizarding family is related' concept and running with it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Prompt #3:   Write a piece with descriptions that use touch & smell but no other sense. 

This this one proved tricky but I've got something:

The smell of chip fat hung in the air around the group of seated teenagers in the Hogwarts kitchens.

“Ah! Almos’ smells like my Gran’s favourite chippy” Eddie said as he sniffed in the aroma, though Daphne Greengrass was not so keen.

“It’s disgusting” she grumbled as she tapped him hard on the head, not an uncommon occurrence. Theodore Nott took her wrist in his hand to stop a repeat of the action.

“You can’t really be that sheltered Greengrass” Padma Patil chuckled as she ran her slender fingers over a salt shaker before throwing across the table. Ron Weasley caught it in his hand and shook it before shaking some salt onto his bowl of vinegar scented chips. The smell carried into the already pungent air .

“So what’s this meeting about Eddie?” Tony Goldstein asked, scratching his chin.

“It’s obviously about Malfoy. He’s getting too settled as Umbridge’s enforcer” Hannah Abbott supplied.

Eddie rapped his knuckles on the table. “Malfoy’s being stitched up an’ th’ moron’s let tha’ toad do it t’ ‘im”

Word Count: 174

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

“I honestly can't remember which of us is supposed to be the smart one.” said Harry as he observed the blue ropes binding his wrists.

“If you believe our wives, neither of us, mate” Ron added dryly as he looked at the pool table in front of them.

“An’ ol’ Voldy thought he was scary, he never saw my missus in a rage” Eddie offered wisely.

The three men guffawed as their captor entered the room. She was not amused.

“I’m glad you seem to find this hilarious. I want to know where you’ve hidden Mundungus Fletcher”

At her question Harry, Ron and Eddie exchanged baffled looks.

“Tha’s a new one lads. After nearly 30 years” Eddie mused with a shrug.

“I thought she was gonna kill us to avenge a Death Eater relative or somethin’ like that” Ron said conversationally.

“Like school when we were kids, ‘appy days” Eddie chuckled.

“It’s nice to have a routine. Hermione encourages it.” Ron answered blasely.

“Madam, you obviously know who I am. You don’t try to kidnap the Head of the Auror Office, a shop manager and a Hogwarts professor as a way to find ‘Dung Fletcher.” Harry was addressing their captor in his professional tone.

“Try? I did” the light-blonde haired woman hissed.

Three loud laughs filled the room, reverberating off the walls.

“We let ya” Eddie said grinning. “It seemed cruel not t’ let th’ work ya did trackin’ us go t’ waste”

For prompt 10: I honestly can't remember which of us is supposed to be the smart one.

It has being a while since I did a prompt but this one really sparked me off and I'll love to know what people think.

Word Count: 243

• Like 3

Guest Tanda

It's good. I like the captive scene you created. I also thought of the pair, Harry and Ron after seeing Nim's new prompt.

I enjoyed reading each dialogue including the villain's. I'm intrigued to know what motivation she had for kidnapping them.

• 1 month later...

For Prompt 17:

"This? This is your big secret project?"

Eddie, Harry and Ron all looked relatively innocent as Daphne Greengrass’ question echoed through Madam Malkins.  Ron was midway through a dress robe fitting, Harry was reading the sports section of the Prophet while Eddie was snacking on an apple.

“We’re saving Ron’s dignity” Harry said as if it was obvious.

“Yea’,we ain’t gonna let ‘im show up at  th’ Yule Ball, lookin’ like a reject fr’m Oxfam’s wastebin” Eddie added as he paused his assault on the apple.

Harry barked out a laugh. “Muggle charity” he informed a confused Ron and Daphne.

“You’re wasting a weekend for this, Granger’s already suspecting you’re up to something”  Daphne said.

“That’s nothin’ new” Ron mused. “She’s a real mother hen under all those books, old Krum’s in for a shock”

I had a chuckle as it effectively fixes a canon problem from GOF regarding Ron's dress robes

For Prompt 18:

Eddie Teague gave his trademark lopsided grin to the genuinely stunned crowd of students and teachers surrounding him and the bamboozled Igor Karkaroff.

“I told ya, I’d get this cutlass back didn’t I?” Eddie poised as he sheathed the aforementioned cutlass. “Family heirloom ya know”

“How in Merlin’s name did you know how to fight with a sword?” asked Theo Nott as Eddie began to amble towards the Entrance Hall, ignoring some of the Durmstrangs glaring him down and likely cursing his very bloodline.

Eddie’s answer was filled with undisguised pride.

“Oh, messin’ about with a toy lightsaber when re-enacting th’ final showdown in th’ Return of th’ Jedi teaches ya a thing or two.”