Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • The Crazies' Cafe is open for Camp NaNo participants - stop in and check it out!
  • Make sure you get your entries to the prefects' writing challenge by April 10th!
  • Make sure you get your collab entries in by March 31!
you-make-me-wander

The "Take a Wizard to Work Day" Challenge | March 31, 2019

you-make-me-wander

Challenge4.png.f33d68c136d64fdf2612db26686bc1bf.png

... or rather, take your job into the Wizarding World. Welcome to my first challenge!

Challenge NameThe "Take a Wizard to Work Day" Challenge

Challenge Deadline: March 31, 2019

Accepted Fandom(s): Harry Potter

Accepted Ratings: Any and all ratings accepted

Challenge Details: The magical world is one of many wonders, but some professions get forgotten in the background for how mundane they appear to be when compared to all the cool jobs you could have as a mage. But have you ever wondered what your job, the one you can't escape in real life, would be like in the Wizarding World were you a wizard/witch?

Wonder no more, and get creative! You work in a call center? Imagine the Marauders sharing the same office as telemarketers. You work in a supermaket? Picture Snape as a cashier. Or Ginny as an hairdresser. Perhaps Draco as an accountant, or Dumbledore as a professional photographer. Hermione as a shop assistant, or Lockhart as the leaflet delivery guy that keeps scaring potential customers away. Either yourself or one of your OCs as the baker that works down the street.

I challenge you to tell me in detail all the ways your own job would be different, or similar, if your life had a little bit more magic to it by choosing a character/group of characters to do your job in the Wizarding World for a day. Have them experience one of your good days at work or one of your bad ones, and you'll get to explore your favorite characters in a new environment and the new intrincacies of the magical equivalent of your job, as well as at the same time allow your readers to get to know a little bit more about yourself and your occupation.

Make things interesting and write your story as taking place in your own country, as if you were working in the closest magical community, or perhaps as character A gets home at the end of the day and tells their spouse all about their day at work! You can even have your main character, old and surrounded by grandchildren, telling them about this one particular day at a certain job they once had because something completely out of the ordinary happened that entirely changed their lives or the way saw the world, or maybe telling that exact same story as they complain to their barber. Feel free to think outside the box!

Merlin knows I'll have to, as I've yet to find a way of writing an insurance broker working in the Wizarding World as that's what I do in real life :roflol:

There are a few rules you should abide to if you're entering the challenge:

• The focus of the story can be either in canon or original characters. The OCs can, of course, interact with canon characters in their environment, and other characters/ships can be secondary characters or make an appearance in your story;
  • On that note, all characters and ships are accepted in this challenge, as well as any genre (although the general idea is for this to be a funny experience and for you to enjoy participating);
  • One-shots only, as the story is to be set in just one day...
  • However the length of the one-shot is of your choice. It can be as short as 1k or as long as 30k!
  • If you happen to be unemployed or a student, you can pick the career of one of your relatives, or instead PM me and I'll give you an ordinary profession for you to explore;
  • To enter the challenge, please post below which characters you'll be writing and what their occupation will be;
  • Multiple entries are allowed, but please post only new content;
  • Your story's summary must have «For you-make-me-wander's The "Take a Wizard to Work Day" Challenge».

Rewards: All entries will be reviewed and you'll be showered with everlasting gratitude for being part of this challenge!

:third: 3 reviews in stories of your choosing, 1 award graphic and 1 picspam for the prized story

:second: 5 reviews in stories of your choosing, 1 award graphic and 1 picspam for the prized story

:first: 8 reviews in stories of your choosing, 1 award graphic and 1 picspam for the prized story

The winners will be announced by April 14, 2019.

I can't wait to find out all the scenarios that you guys will come up with, so lets explore something different, eh? :yay:

Edited by you-make-me-wander
  • Like 1

Recent Badges

PaulaTheProkaryote

AHHH this sounds like so much fun! I can't wait to start! I'll be in with anatomy lab instructor! 

• Like 2

Recent Badges

adorably cute

ohhh I've been thinking about this one since you posted it and it's so interesting to me! can i be a maybe (just because of time) with characters tbd and physical therapist?

• Like 1

galadriel

I'm a Maybe with a next gen/original character (haven't decided exactly who yet) working in a marketing agency :D

• Like 1

Recent Badges

Felpata_Lupin

Hi, Susana! :)

This sounds super interesting and fun, so I will be a maybe with IT consultant. :P

Not sure about characters yet, probably OCs.

• Like 1

aelaia

Oh no ?‍♀️ No more challenges I said to myself.. but really.. I can't ignore this one. You've swayed me with your brilliance!

I'll be a maybe, with Yaxley, Draco and maybe my OC, haven't decided yet, being prison nurse's for the day. The hilarity of those two assosicating with my patients... yep I need this.

Edited by aelaia
  • Like 1

Recent Badges

sapphicsunrise

i'll be a maybe with history tutors/PhD students ?

• Like 1

MadiMalfoy

I'm a grad student getting my PhD in chemistry, but could I modify it slightly to fit within the wizarding world as someone going for an advanced potioneering degree? If not, I'll happily make them be a chemistry PhD student also :P 

I'll be a maybe!

• Like 1

northbound24

This challenge caught my attention as I've had three 'real' jobs in my life, I think being a gallery assistant could be fun in the wizarding world I'll give it a go.

Job: Gallery Assistant

Characters: OC's with canon characters

• Like 1

you-make-me-wander

@sapphicsunrise Glad that you might be on board :D

@MadiMalfoy Sure you can go for an advanced potioneering degree student, Madi!

@northbound24 Ooh gallery assistant sounds interesting. Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Takers:

PaulaTheProkaryote
northbound24

Maybes:

adorably cute
galadriel
Felpata_Lupin
aelaia
sapphicsunrise
MadiMalfoy

• Like 1

Recent Badges

TreacleTart

Question: I have a multi-chapter WIP about Scorpius working as a Chef. Could I submit a singular chapter of that if it’s newly written? 

• Like 1
  • Gryffindor 1

you-make-me-wander

@TreacleTart Yes, I can accept it so long as it portrays a day on the job for Scorpius at least ?

Recent Badges

you-make-me-wander

Just over 2 weeks left to enter the "Take a Wizard to Work Day" Challenge! Who's in? ?‍♂️?‍♀️?

Challenge4.png.6c50baf3bc3dae48345e7a4c8255ac4c.png.1672ed0dcc96435a7215f95306262cc2.png

Recent Badges

StarFeather
On Sunday, February 03, 2019 at 12:38 PM, TreacleTart said:

Question: I have a multi-chapter WIP about Scorpius working as a Chef. Could I submit a singular chapter of that if it’s newly written? 

As @TreacleTart Kaitlin said,  could I submit a newly single chapter of my multi-chaptered fic? If I could, I'd like to be a taker preparing two submissions,

1 chapter 9 for Harry Potter and Druidic Magic (M)

chapter 8 for Attack on the Death Eaters (M)

Job : Auror

Characters : Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley

800 words of heaven

I'll be a taker for this one! I'm a medical student, which is technically not a job, but it's pretty full-time and basically consumes my entire life and identity. Would it be cool if I wrote about Hannah Abbott as a student Healer?

you-make-me-wander

Just 1 week left to enter the challenge. Make sure your entries are posted, or in the queue awaiting validation, by March 31st!

Can't wait to read your works :excited:

Recent Badges

StarFeather
Posted (edited)

Hi, here's my entry! Attack on the Death Eaters (M) chapter 8

Thank you @Ineke for its validation.

Though it's one of multi-chaptered, this chapter begins from the scene of the trainne Aurors, so I think you can easily enjoy this chapter as well as one-shot. (If you have more time to spare, please have a look at the previous chapter, so you can understand more about my fanfiction world.)

Edited by StarFeather
  • Like 2

MadiMalfoy

Hey there! My entry is currently in the queue! It is titled "Lionfish Spines and Dusty Bottles"

If it's posted after the topic locks I'll PM you the link. :) 

• Like 1

you-make-me-wander

If anyone would like an extension of the deadline, I'll be accepting entries until this Friday. To all that have already submitted their entries, thank you for participating! The results should be in sometime during the weekend ?

• Thanks 2

Recent Badges