News Ticker

Personality Typing

FireOpal

Story time: The first forum I thought of as my home on the web was dedicated to a concept awkwardly dubbed 'dæmonism,' which has nothing to do with summoning fiery hell spawn, but everything to do with self-understanding.

The concept of a 'dæmon' is borrowed from Philip Pullman's fantasy series His Dark Materials (any fans here?) and in the real worl application it has two aspect. The first is the 'imaginary friend' aspect; having a dæmon means thinking in dialogue instead of monologue, separating out a voice to act as a companion or a verbalised conscience or a memory help or whatever you want it to be. My dæmon, Gawaine, mainly functions as that last thing, nowadays, heh. But the other, currently more relevant, aspect is the 'form finding' aspecr, which is about finding an animal that can represent your personality. Back in the day I used to identify as a stoat, but nowadays some sort of South American porcupine fits me better.

One thing I miss about that forum is the personality typing threads, and knowing so much about how the other members identified and thought about themselves. The 'form finding' aspect of dæmonism can be thought of as a very broad personality typing system, and trying to find one's form went hand in hand with figuring out your other 'typings'. Members generally have at least their MBTI and Enneagram written in their signatures, and the forum has a whole sub-board dedicated just to personality typing. And now I want to bring some of that goodness to HPFT! : D

In this thread you're welcome to discuss any and all personality typing system here, ask for help regarding your own typings, post links to personality tests and your results from them, complain about how ridiculous the tests are, list all your typings, compare and contrast your typings to each other, evangelise for your favourite system, and so on...

You're also welcome to politely discuss other people's typings with them - this stuff is hard, and it's easy to get things wrong, even about yourself (I've changed my typings so many times) - but there's no reason to attack anyone. Instead of "I don't think you're a Firebender, Kapa!" try "So, Kapa, how do you reconcile being a Firebender with being a Ravenclaw?" or "Have you considered Waterbending, Kapa?" or something along those lines.

As I said above, you're welcome to discuss any personality typing system here, but some examples of things to talk about are: MBTI, with its cousins Function Theory and Socionics, the Enneagram, including wings, instinctual stacks (and if you must, tri-types), the Big/Global 5, and MOTIVS, plus a million 'What colour are you?' and so on type tests.

Then there are things that can be thought of as personality typing systems even though they weren' conceived as such, like the Dungeons & Dragons Alignment System, the Avatar bending arts, the Homestuck God Tier titles, the four traditional temperaments or, for that matter, the Hogwarts Houses, Patronuses/Animagi animals and wands from Harry Potter. Anything goes, really. Like, I dunno, Tarot cards? (...mine would be 'Justice.')

Actually, let me list those of my typings that I'm (relatively) sure of here, and then I might discuss them more in depth in a later post...

• MBTI/Cognitive Functions: INTP (TiNeSiFe)
  • Enneagram: 5w4, so/sx
  • Dæmon form: Brazilian(?) Porcupine
  • Hogwarts House: Ravenclaw
  • Wand: Hornbeam, Dragon heartstring, 11 ½", Slightly Springy
  • D&D Alignment: Neutral Good
  • Bending Art: Firebender

Here are some resources for anyone curious about different systems:

Enneagram:

Enneagram Institute - the general 'go to' page for Enneagram info, with a free test (and some more you have to pay for), in depth descriptions of each type (but not as in depth as you get if you pay them, which, well...), and very helpful Misidentifications and Relationship pages. One thing that they've added to the Enneagram system are the 'levels of health' for each type, which are a bit hitnor miss in my experience (but also anstep away from the 'your type is always a curse' mindset that the Enneagram otherwise has a tendency towards).

Ocean Moonshine - hands down the best Enneagram resource on the web, with amazingly in depth type descriptions, and invaluable  information on instincual stacks. It's a bit cynical, but that's the Enneagram for you; the whole point of finding your type is supposed to be so you can get rid if it and transcend beyond having a personality, which, uh, isn't for everyone. (But anyone telling you different is trying to sell you something, *cough* Enneagram Institute *cough*.)

9types - this pages has some quick but reasonably comprehensive descriptions of the types and how they function. I especially find the descriptions of how each type is as children and as parents helpful.

The Enneagram in Business - a pretty run-of-the-mill Enneagram page, with an often very insightful blog and a very helpful misidentifications/differentiations section which I can't link to directly but is part of their Find your Enneagram type sub-page.

PSTypes' misidentification tag - speaking of misidentifications, this blog has some very handy lists of the main differences between all the types.

MBTI and Cognitive Functions:

The Myers & Briggs Foundation - apparently these guys have a website. They go over the basics and link to a page where you can pay to get an online version of the official MBTI assesment, but seriously, don't do that. There are so many resources online that can help you find your type without you having to pay!

PersonalityPage's 'Portrait of...' series - a very good introduction to the different types. The descriptions are a bit stereotypical and 'narrow,' but when I need to quickly read up on the 'core' of a MBTI type, this is where I go.

16personalities - a site with a currently very popular MBTI-based test, and descriptions for eachntype. A novelty  adds an extra letter to the types indicting whether the person is 'Turbulent' or 'Assertive,' which to me seems to be inspired by the Big/Global 5 system. I'm not sure I'm a fan.

Funky MBTI in Fiction - a fun page overall, but I especially like  their introduction to Cognitive Functions and hilarious (though not always spot on, imo) examples of the functions in real life.

Personality Junkie - if you really want to get an in depth understanding of the Cognitive Functions version of the MBTI system, though, this is the page for you. It's my favourite MBTI site, with really comprehensive type descriptions and a lot of extra info, almost all of it pure gold.

Other assorted resources:

Similarminds - a page with a lot of free - and good! - tests for various typing systems. It also has descriptions for many types, and some articles and research. Overall a must visit for anyone interested in personality typing.

Similarminds own personality typing system, MOTIVS - the person behind Similarminds has put this system together to try to get the best from all the other systems they (he?) have looked into, but it mostly seems like a variation of  the Big/Global 5 system.

The Wikipedia Article on the 'Big Five personaoity traits' - this is monstrously long, but the best resource I've found for information on the Big/Global 5 personality typing system. (Hit me up if you know of some better site!)

Easydamus - this page is the ultimate guide to the D&D Alignments on the web, and it comes with a test.

The Daemon Page - If you're interested in knowing more about that dæmonism thing I talked about above, this page and its forum is the place to go.

For more resorces, see this page at the Dæmon Forum.

If you have a resource you think I should add, give me a ping and I'll ask a staffer to edit it in!

Lastly, I want to thank Kaitlin for unknowingly giving me the impetus to finally get this thread started, by writing about her MBTI and Enneagram types in the Why your house? thread. : )

Now, let's party! Tell me about your typings!

• 2 years later...

@FireOpal I saw this thread and I was immediately like "I SAW A TDFER IN THE WILD!!! GOTTA TELL ZO". Zoe of Luth says hi, we are RL shorms. :P 

And look I know this thread is two years old but it's SO LONELY. 

But in terms of my personality typings [cracks knuckles]

• Enneagram: 6w5
  • MBTI: ISFJ (SiFeTiNe)
  • Homestuck: rogue of blood (? i'm not sure yet, i'm newish to homestuck, zoe typed me)
  • Daemon: rock-haunting possum (i'm unreasonably pleased that i have an australian daemon. searched for AGES, but I can't remember the others that were in consideration)
  • D&D: Neutral Good
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Personality typing! Fun! I'll share mine:

Enneagram: 5w4
MBTI: INTJ (NiTeFiSe)
House: Gryffindor (though I've also tested as Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw)
Wand: Rowan; 10.75"; Unicorn Hair; Rigid
D&D: Lawful Neutral

pls feel free to talk personality types with me at all times (or zodiac signs, i'm also obsessed with astrology for absolutely no good reason)

enneagram: 1w9 (i'll be entirely honest, i've never taken the test for this - a friend once told me to determine my type based on which description of weaknesses/areas for growth felt most like a personal attack, and this one was a bit too on-the-nose lol)
mbti: entj
house: gryffindor (although i once hatstalled between gryffindor and ravenclaw on pottermore, so...  #gryffinclaw4lyfe)
wand: walnut, dragon heartstring, 11.5", unbending
d&d:  i've taken this twice, got true neutral once and chaotic good the other

1 hour ago, ShadowRose said:

(i'll be entirely honest, i've never taken the test for this - a friend once told me to determine my type based on which description of weaknesses/areas for growth felt most like a personal attack, and this one was a bit too on-the-nose lol)

this is the best description of enneagrams ever, omg. (my favourite way to feel pain is to enneagram type fictional characters because it's 100% guaranteed to make your heart hurt.)

enneagram: 6w5 (i just took the test for this & this was the most accurate description i've ever found of myself)

mbti: INFP

homestuck: knight of heart

d&d: neutral good

bending art: water bender

house: ravenclaw (but equally a hufflepuff, i've got both results on pottermore)

i... think this is all anyone needs to figure out exactly what kind of person i am tbh 

I am always up for talking about this and @ShadowRose talk to me about Zodiac Signs or Astrology any time! I have my own unexplainable obsession with that! 

MBTI/Cognitive Functions: ENFP

Enneagram: 4w3 (I've taken two different tests for this and they came up the same. Both times it's been a bit too accurate and I've felt the need to instantly re-evaluate my life)

Hogwarts House: Gryffindor (And Slytherin second) 

Wand: Ebony, Dragon Heartstring,12 ½" and Surprisingly Swishy

D&D Alignment: Chaotic Good

Edited by something wicked
This post has got to be the biggest personal attack on myself that I've ever seen

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I've been watching this thread for a while, waiting until I had the free time to take some of the extra tests, and here we (finally) are:

enneagram: 1w2 (just like everyone else, this one felt a bit too real and i'm feeling personally attacked rn, gonna go make so coffee and sit in my corner)
mbti: estj
house: gryffindor
wand: ash, phoenix feather, 11.75". unyielding
D&D alignment: lawful neutral

• Haha 2

• 3 months later...

personality tests are my jam and i live and breathe astrology memes (i think they make up like half the instagram accounts i follow) so. say no more

enneagram: 8w7
mbti: entp/entj (which makes very little sense when you look at the function stacks but every time i take it i get one or the other so)
house: slytherin/ravenclaw (first time i took the pottermore test i got ravenclaw but then i took it like four other times and they were all slytherin)
wand: maple, phoenix feather, 13", supple 
temperament: choleric
astrology: gemini sun/taurus moon w/ 12th house stellium (also please do @ me about astrology i love it so much)
bending art: airbender
d&d alignment: chaotic neutral
daemon: pine marten

Guest Rumpelstiltskin

MBTI/Cognitive Functions: INFP-T
Enneagram: 6w5 
Hogwarts House: Slytherin
Wand: Rowan wood with a Unicorn hair core 10 ¾" and Surprisingly Swishy flexibility
D&D Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

In essence, I'm generally insecure and don't trust people, however I will fight for and stick up for those who have suffered injustices and can't stand up for themselves. I'm friendly and (perhaps too) loyal, but wrought with anxieties (that center around that whole trust thing). I'm idealistic (too idealistic), impractical, and difficult to know. In that sense, I can go any which way and my choices are rather unpredictable (and, as such, am incredibly flexible). I'm ambitious, though often afraid to seize the opportunities I need to help me succeed.

Welp. There's a lot more (so much more), but that seems to be the quick summary of the combined five test results above. 

i just did the enneagram test for the first time ever and i've never felt so called out in my entire life omg tho i feel a bit better knowing a lot of us in here got the same one, maybe it's a type that lends itself to writers

• enneagram: 6w5 
  • mtbi: infj 
  • hogwarts house: ravenclaw
  • astrology: virgo sun, leo moon, gemini rising
  • d&d alignment: true neutral
  • temperament: melancholic
  • Like 1