News Ticker

crowsb4bros

crowsb4bros

hello and welcome to my humble cave of anguish

ROSE & CO. APOTHECARY  

aeqrRvBR_o.png

Rose & Co. is a story that has taken on many, many forms. I've written, deleted, scribbled, and cried. It's a southern gothic OF murder? mystery. Calla Greenwich (once called Cassia and Cass but heck if i can commit to something as crucial as a name) comes from a long line of Green Witches and has become the owner of Rose & Co. Apothecary after her grandmother, Rose, dies suddenly. The town rules it an accident, but Calla is certain that her grandmother's death has something to do with all of the disappearances in town. She's on the case with her best friend/ex-girlfriend, Bia, when strangers from a shadowy government organization that specializes in the supernatural come to town to investigate the missing people. She and her mother are on the top of the list when all evidence points to the occult. Will Calla clear her name and solve the mystery? No one knows because I haven't written the ending yet. 

MEET THE CHARACTERS:

• Calla Greenwich – faceclaim: still looking, but I'm going with this++ unsplash photo until I find the One 
    • Always in the forest, imposter syndrome, codependent personality type, falls in love too easily, punch first ask questions later.
  • Bia Clark –
    • Nose in a book, idealist, wants to make it big in a creative field, is a teacher, skeptical of all things love related.
  • Thomas Sullivan
    • Doesn't know what he wants to do even though he's got a career, scowls a lot, gets lost in his own head too much, struggles with working for the government knowing just how corrupt it is,  just wants to find peace.
  • Daniel Hayes
    • Logical to a fault, wants to go back to school but it's hard to justify that when he has a whole career, picks up hobbies like some people pick up spare change, very family oriented. 
  • Matty Bishop Greenwich
    • Med student, wants to save absolutely everyone, broken family so he joined the Greenwichs, deserves a happily ever after and HE WILL GET ONE. 
  • Claudia Greenwich
    • Ag professor, loves her farm, just wants to live a simple life, ace, a natural nurturer of both humans and plants alike.
  • Rose Greenwich
    • Struggles with depression, wants nothing but the best for the people she loves, matriarch, best cook this side of the Mississipp.

pinterest (M)+

A SPECTRAL AFFAIR

h2q0i8ts_o.png

A Spectral Affair is another OF that has very little plot. Clare Winfield teaches anthropology at a local community college. She's particularly well-versed in death mythology and funeral rituals across cultures. Clare's finally paid off most of her student loans and can afford a nice, fixer-upper in the middle of the countryside. The only issue is that the house is starting to become a safety hazard. Lightbulbs shatter overhead, wires spark randomly, her entire kitchen keeps going up in smoke, and stairs become very slippery out of nowhere. Dez and Adi, Clare's best friends, are convinced that she's being haunted. After weeks of debate, Clare finally gives in and Adi call SpookyPasta. SpookyPasta is a group of ghost hunters on Youtube and are the closest thing to experts in the field. After Clare meets Dev Mehta, leader of SpookyPasta, ghosts aren't the only specters haunting Clare's dreams. 

MEET THE CHARACTERS:

• Clare Winfield
    • Being haunted but doesn't believe it, literal ray of sunshine, teaches anthropology at the community college.  
  • Adi Geller
    • The friend that convinces Clare at last to just let them check things out, school psychologist, has many soapboxes, brewer of the tea and coffee, the only one actually funny.
  • Dev Mehta
    • Leader of SpookyPasta, resident super dork, enthusiastic love interest of a reluctant Clare.
  • Charlie Underwood
    • The only girl in SpookyPasta, fast friends with Clare, aspirations to leave the group and go back to college, doesn't want to disappoint her friends though, excellent baker. Potential love interest for Adi.  
  • Nic Damon
    • Also in SpookyPasta, convinced that demonic spirits like him way more than the others, thinks he's way cooler than he is, his job is to give the Office stare at the camera every so often, madly in love with Alden.
  •  Alden Whitaker
    • The actual rational one in SpookyPasta (although everyone else thinks it's them), hardcore intellectual type, is a lawyer when they aren't filming, sweater and glasses boy.
  • Bee Cooper
    • Adi's not-quite-girlfriend-but-they're-like-talking who is next level annoying and Clare spends a good amount of time trying to hook Adi up with Charlie until Adi hems her up about it. Bee is overbearing and confrontational about minor things. She has twice as many soapboxes as Adi, but all of hers are ridiculous and toxic things.  
  • Dez Lawson
    • Teaches history at the community college with Clare, crazy supportive, doing a ton of emotional labor in all of his relationships, single dad after a messy divorce, everyone is at least half in love with him but he's focused on keeping his daughter happy and stable. 

pinterest (M)+

MOUTH TO MOUTH

FINALLY, fanfiction! Lily Evans gets a summer job as a lifeguard at a waterpark. She's excited for a relaxing summer of sunburns and whistleblowing. What she gets is a summer of Marauders taking over her work place. Don't worry, James Potter definitely knows mouth-to-mouth. ;) 

(all images in this initial post were created by me)

• Like 3

Hey, hey, Paula! (Ugh, yeah, I'm not a fan of that song, either)

Anyhow, I've been pretty immersed in Rumor Has It for the past day or two and I wanted to know some more about its brilliant author.

1. I like where you're going with the technical aspect of Poppi's job. Some might argue that it detracts from the love story, but for me it really balances things out. What attracts you to that aspect of the story?

2. Your James is fairly different from most that I've read. He's a reluctant playboy, something of a homebody and definitely a huge mama's boy. What was your inspiration for his character?

3. What's your overall writing style? Are you a careful planner or do you follow your fickle muse? How much do your stories change as you write them?

4. How has your writing changed since you started writing HP fan fiction?

5. How many chapters do you think Rumor Has It will have?

Thanks!

Hi!  :D I'm not much of a fan of that song either! Thanks so much for getting me started off!

1. I like where you're going with the technical aspect of Poppi's job. Some might argue that it detracts from the love story, but for me it really balances things out. What attracts you to that aspect of the story?

I think it's more of a write-what-you-know kind of thing for me! Most of her job comes from my own studying! I spent a lot of time this semester on histone acetylation and my professor specializes in biological clocks! While it's not my actual field, I thought it would be a neat way to explore the Department of Mysteries! I think her career is very important to her and it's imperative she has a life outside of James.

2. Your James is fairly different from most that I've read. He's a reluctant playboy, something of a homebody and definitely a huge mama's boy. What was your inspiration for his character?

I knew a lot of guys that were more like the typical James and honestly I'm not sure I could put one of my beloved OCs through that kind of mess! I find it difficult to imagine Harry Potter's eldest as a wild womanizer. I think Ginny would whoop it out of him. If you promise not to go Freudian on me, he's a lot like my older brother. My brother dated woman after woman and most of them were trying to take advantage of his finances. He's also a massive mama's boy (He's 36 and my mom still comes over almost every day to do his dishes, laundry, and pick up).

3. What's your overall writing style? Are you a careful planner or do you follow your fickle muse? How much do your stories change as you write them?

If I had to pick two words to describe my writing style it would be "hot mess." I plan, I get there, well–you know the rest!  ;) I usually start out with an outline that consists of a few lines of what each chapter should be. Then halfway through my muse takes over! An example I was just laughing at is my entire preparation for chapter six consisted of "James Potter kissed her on the smoochers."

4. How has your writing changed since you started writing HP fan fiction?

Believe it or not I never wrote before HP fan fiction! I started writing for the first time in December right before Christmas! I started it because I was so tired of the vast amount of technical writing I do.

5. How many chapters do you think Rumor Has It will have?

It started out as five chapters total, but obviously I didn't stick to that plan! Right now it's plotted out to fifteen chapters. Maybe a few chapters give or take if my muse runs rampant.

Seriously thank you so much for these incredibly thoughtful questions!

• 4 weeks later...

Three really small questions, but I am super curious. What is your favourite ship? When did you get the idea for Rumour Has It? And also, what kind of planning do you do with a character?

HELLO YOU LOVELY PERSON!

I was just saying today that I was planning on leaving you a review since you made me a favorite author (AKA you're officially my favorite person).

What is your favourite ship?

If you've seen my AP you know I LOVE next generation, but believe it or not Jily is my OTP. A follow up favorite would be Scorbus and Scorose because they are always so adorable!

When did you get the idea for Rumour Has It?

I got the idea for it actually the day Harper Lee died. There's a quote in the story where Poppi suggests a book club to the reporters and I wrote that line the day she died for another character in another story. Then Poppi just took over!

What kind of planning do you do with a character?

Generally my planning for a character is picking a personality type using MBTI charts (Poppi is a mix of ESTP and ENTP) and then making a pinterest board full of things that seem to fit in line with the character. When you hit a writer's block it's really helpful. Eg. Here's a link (15+ for future foul language I'm sure) to my board for Rumor Has It

[move]You're seriously amazing. Thank you for these questions![/move]

• 1 month later...

for the Pass It Along Challenge :)

Hello Paula!

Tis I, Eugenia! And I has questions!

1. In your story The Darkest Hour, you ship Sirius/Petunia. It's such a unique pairing, I have to ask: where did the idea for them come from?

2. Your story The Eulogy is so sad! What was it like for you writing something so emotional and raw? Did you struggle with it at all?

3. Sirius is a character you write about pretty often. What is it that draws you to him? Also, do you have any upcoming fics or plans to write him again?

4. I noticed you like to write minor characters as well (Charlie, Hagrid, Petunia, Dobby, etc). Who is your favorite minor character you've written so far? Who is a minor character you'd like to tackle at some point in the future?

5. Of all the stories you've written, which are you proudest of?

6. And this last one is just for me, because I'm feeling a bit cell-fish: What are your thoughts on Remus/Sirius? And would you ever consider writing one?

Love from,

EugeniaTheEukaryote

P.S. You're almost there!

P03UD3Q.png

Hi again, Eugenia! You're my favorite eukaryote! <3

1. In your story The Darkest Hour, you ship Sirius/Petunia. It's such a unique pairing, I have to ask: where did the idea for them come from?

I was watching PoA! Petunia was never the perfect girl, but she certainly could have pulled men that were more attractive than Vernon, right? I mean surely. I started thinking about who else was available and it was either Remus or Sirius! I figure a werewolf might be a bit much for her. Not to mention she seemed fine with whining and in my mind Sirius has always been a whiner. I also like the idea of her and Marlene McKinnon at some point and jealousy that Lily was so close to her could easily make the wedge between the sisters much worse.

2. Your story The Eulogy is so sad! What was it like for you writing something so emotional and raw? Did you struggle with it at all?

When I wrote pretty much all of the story except the first and last paragraph it was actually a confession of love for an undecided character. When I read it aloud my husband said it sounded like an awful funeral speech. So I tweaked it into just that! The descriptions were really based on my mother (please don't get Freudian on me!) because she's the kind of woman that really is a force of nature.

3. Sirius is a character you write about pretty often. What is it that draws you to him? Also, do you have any upcoming fics or plans to write him again?

Besides the fact that Gary Oldman is a total babe?  ;) I like that Sirius overcame so much trauma from a broken home and still was such a good guy. Not perfect by any means, but still so devoted to making up for the wrongs of the world. Sirius is the epitome of Gryffindor for me in the best and worst ways. I have several Sirius stories that are half written, but the one that I'm posting next is called Do No Harm and it's about Sirius and an OC smuggling muggleborns to safety during the first war.

4. I noticed you like to write minor characters as well (Charlie, Hagrid, Petunia, Dobby, etc). Who is your favorite minor character you've written so far? Who is a minor character you'd like to tackle at some point in the future?

Dobby is probably my favorite because I really hated him when I was younger (I was 9 when CoS movie came out). I just thought that everything he did was so inefficient. Now I think I'm making up for those years of dislike.

I have a story I'm plotting about Padma Patil that I think will be pretty interesting. In the future I want to tackle Professor Binns! I have an idea for a collection of short stories about the lives of the professors while at Hogwarts that I'll probably write soon!

5. Of all the stories you've written, which are you proudest of?

Probably Cloaked in Silence because it was the hardest for me to write. I imagined my younger character as my niece and it elicited way too much emotion for me. I kept wanting to pull away from the idea of angst and write in a happily ever after. Also it won first place in Lost Muse's Muggle Challenge and it was the first challenge I had won.

6. And this last one is just for me, because I'm feeling a bit cell-fish: What are your thoughts on Remus/Sirius? And would you ever consider writing one?

I love wolfstar! It's easily one of my favorite pairings! You'll be please to know that I have three wolfstars I'm posting at some point! Two of them are one shots that are very fluffy and one is a bit more complex and will be a short story. I'm delaying posting them because I'm still struggling a bit with exactly the way I want Remus to be characterized.

• 8 months later...

I'm posting here to say that I've updated the main topic to be a bit more relevant and to add in a bit about the greenwich storyline. At age 23, the witches are meant to begin considering potential suitors for genetic quality. This is railed against by nearly every one of the women as time has passed. Claudia is beginning to think she won't be subjecting Cass to these rules. This opens up some controversy among the already detested covens.

Spoiler

I'm revisiting some other fandom writing I was working on including a Gansey/Henry/Blue poly cuteness, a skyrim fic, and an AOT fic.

Faceclaims

zUJFs41z.png

Adelaide Kane as Cassia Greenwich

f3rJD5H9.png

Kiersey Clemons as Bia Basevi

3zEPnOGN.gif

Casey Deidrick as Thomas Sullivan

YuNRzyN6.png

Sacha M'Baye as Daniel Blackwell

Edited by PaulaTheProkaryote

I liked the writing exercise so much that I'm adding it here so I can add it into my story later. I've entertained the idea that the reason the people are disappearing is because Theodosia, after losing literally everyone she loved, had gone to a coven (ugh, covens) and asked them to keep the people of the town safe. Covens, true to coven form, had filled her request in a dark, unexpected way by summoning a shadow creature (name? Idk. I was thinking the keepers or something ominous sounding) which was then "preserving" the people in the forest (cue those creepy mirror people). So Thomas is chasing a shadow creature that is unnamed and follows it through the forest into the cave. And obv Cassia is going to be chasing him.

The pungent odor of decay wafted through the cave and Cassia paused to listen for any sound that might be from Thomas. He'd gone left, she was sure of it, but the sheer number of tunnels made it impossible for her to guess which one he'd gone into. The slow trickle of water dripping from the ceiling down the stalactite and to the seeping ground below her echoed miserably. She had never felt more alone.

"Thomas?" She called desperately. The familiar agitated scent of ozone that always accompanied magic, particularly dark magic, wafted lazily around her. This was definitely the place they'd been looking for.

"Thomas!" She tried again. She closed her eyes and focused on the sound of the low thrumming that seemed to be coming from one of the two tunnels directly in front of her. She bit her lip hesitantly before deciding to go into the one on the left. Thomas had made a comment weeks ago about how everyone goes to the right in the forest and he was hardly someone to conform so the left would be more tempting to him. It was faulty logic, stretching a single comment he'd made in passing, but it was the best she had.

The thrumming seemed to build into a full drumming with every step and with each steady beat her own heart raced faster. She stopped short of the opening and gasped. Something was burning. It could be Thomas, sure. It could also be the thing that Thomas had been searching for. The dark, blurry, not quite human thing. She braced herself and stepped forward into the chamber.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paula :)

Your Hogwarts Textbooks really caught my interest! ;)

Are any of those available yet? I'd love to read such staff <3

Hi Vilja! :D The first one, The Encyclopedia of Bat Eyes, is finished! I haven't posted it quite yet because I'm currently on vacation and I'm dabbling with the idea of making them interactive books using some of my adobe programs. You should see the first one soon!

Paula! Are your writing exercises becoming scenes in your novel? Because that would be super freaking cool!

Paula! Just popping in to remind you how beautiful and caring and wonderful and amazing you are! I'm so glad to hear you're still working on Rose & Co. since I loved hearing about it during NaNo. I love that you're writing for other fandoms. Make sure you link me when the Raven Boys one is done! :P

Of course, the textbook one sounds FLIPPING AWESOME. How's it going? What gave you the idea?

I love that you did the writing exercise with your novel. I wanted to do them but didn't know where to start - for some reason I didn't think of using my own novel scenes to do them, so now I might have to try that! :D

Thank you for being you! <3

HELLO LOVELY! I missed your comment at first! Thank you for popping in! You're the sweetest! <3 I'm still working away on it! It would really help if I could stop changing character names every few weeks! I'll definitely link you!

The textbooks are going great! I have one finished and one nearly done! I have this idea that I'm going to get around to making them into animated pages and posting them as images instead. It's just a matter of actually doing it!

I hope to see you over in the writing exercises with your OF soon! I figure that even if I don't end up using them (although so far I'm using 2/3 for sure) it's at least some progress and exploration!

Thank you even more for being you! <3

Paula! Are your writing exercises becoming scenes in your novel? Because that would be super freaking cool!
So far I'm keeping two of the three for sure! It's so nice because I've been in such a story rut and now I feel like I actually have something to jump off of!

AND! thanks to my last writing exercise I've finally decided my character's familiar will be a downy woodpecker named Flicker.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm dropping off a few writing exercises for my OF. I'm thinking again about changing the familiar to perhaps a puppy and I've got a scene that I think would really be great for it that I'll post soon.

You may NOT use SIGHT or TOUCH in your writing.

Suggested Starters:

Nature walk

Crowded train car

Bubble bath

Okay, so that means I can use sound, taste, and smell. Plus the other senses like thermoception, proprioception, etc.

Nature walk

Cass raced out of the house and sprinted towards the woods. She could faintly hear her mother calling after her, but she didn't particularly care. She just had to get out of there. She could smell the sharp tang of salty tears before she could taste them, slipping one by one down her cheeks and accumulating on the brim of her upper lip. She didn't slow her pace until she could no longer hear her mother calling after her. The woods were alive with the echoing calls for mating partners and the desperate, shrill advisories of danger. She collapsed on the ground, near the bank of the creek and gasped as she refilled her lungs with distinct odor of bacteria churning through the soil. Geosmin. That's what Daniel had called it. She curled her lips slightly at the thought of him. All cheekbones and feminist rap music. Her smile quickly faded at the thought of the conversation her mother just had with her. The tinge of dread and foreboding that laced her tongue as she finally had "the talk" with her. She felt like her entire world had chewed her up and spit her out whole and for the first time in her life, she no longer wanted to be a Greenwich. No, she wasn't interested in being a witch at all.

Bubble bath

Thomas sank into the pit of foamy water until at last he could drown out the words echoing in his ears. "I hate you." She'd spat it with a venom that had never laced her voice before. At least not since he'd been in town. Certainly not when she'd broken his nose for following her or when she slammed the door in his face because he had not-so-subtly implied that her mother was the person responsible for the disappearances. He was having trouble reconciling the Cass that scooped spiders up and carried them outside to a 'suitable habitat' with the Cass that could have so much hatred resonating firmly in her voice. It just wasn't her. It didn't add up. He twisted the faucet off and sank back into the water. Without the mindless droning of water surging from the faucet, he could hear her voice again on a loop. He'd give anything to make it stop, so he stood up from the tub, ignoring the nagging voice of Daniel in his head bemoaning all of the wasted freshwater and impeding doom that the world would soon be facing. He toweled off, changed into his sweats, and grabbed his keys. He had to set things right. He had to set her voice right in his head.

and the nose break scene using the first line prompt (WHICH WAS SO PERFECT FOR IT IT'S NOT EVEN FUNNY)

"Technically, I didn’t break the law," she said from the backseat of Thomas's shiny, black government issued SUV.

Thomas glanced back at her in the rearview mirror and lifted an eyebrow.

"Oh, really?" Thomas turned on his blinker and the annoying beep-beep-beep caused Cass to grind her teeth. She had a thing about blinkers. They're big city things.

"You followed me into a dark alley and tried to grab me. It was self defense!"

"I called out to you several times before you ambushed me in an alley. It was fairly well lit, as well," he argued.

"Self defense," she muttered. A smirk of satisfaction crept on her face when his nose began to bleed again. A tiny sliver of red dripped from his nostril and he reached into his passenger seat to grab a bloody fastfood napkin to bring to his nose. He shot her a look of irritation in the mirror and the smirk bloomed into a grin.

I'm beginning to think that I wouldn't write at all if it weren't for these writing exercises! Thanks for keeping me out of my rut, Liz!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paula!  Stopping by with a couple of questions for you, you lovely lady <3

1. I know you're doing Camp NaNo this year (week. Eek).  Are you starting a new project or continuing an old one?  Can you tell us a bit about it?

2. Out of all the stories on your AP, which has been the most difficult to write?

3. You're a scientist.  Does that ever influence the way you read/write/perceive characters?

4. Which of your own personality traits do you include most often in your own characters, if at all?

5. Who is your favourite Austen character and is there any possibility that you would write Austen-inspired stories? :)

PAULA. Hi. hello. How are you?

[*]How do you write so much? Every time I check you've got something new going on!

[*]Where do you get all of your ideas from? THEY'RE ALL AMAZING

[*]Will you teach me how to write summaries?

[*]What's your favorite color?

[*] I'm SO into the idea of the Hogwarts text books! What made you think of doing that? How are they coming along so far?

Hello lovely! Thank you for popping in!

1. I know you're doing Camp NaNo this year (week. Eek).  Are you starting a new project or continuing an old one?

Can you tell us a bit about it?

For Camp Nano I'm mostly working on my original fic, Rose & Co. Apothecary! I think after much consideration I'm going to just write major scenes that I think are the most important (or that I want to be able to edit 15 billion times) and then from there I'll be writing the connecting scenes and inserting in the subplots! The general plot overview is that a small town witch in the southern US (Cass) are accused by some government agents (Thomas and Daniel) of being the reason why all of town folk are disappearing. She enlists the help of Bia, a librarian with crippling anxiety, to help prove her innocence/find the missing people!

2. Out of all the stories on your AP, which has been the most difficult to write?

I have one story called Cloaked in Silence which deals with having a sick child and knowing that the magical world might be able to save the child, but because she's just on the other side of the glass (her sister was a muggleborn), she has to go to extraordinary lengths to try to save the child. It was hard on me because I'm such a fluff writer and angst murders my soul. I had three different endings and ended up having to just pick one.

3. You're a scientist.  Does that ever influence the way you read/write/perceive characters?

It really, really does! For one, I have several main characters of the female variety that I push into science fields, but it also leaves me relating to certain characters much more. I really feel comfortable writing clinical, logic driven characters over fluffy, philosophical characters. Because of this I tend to stick to Ravenclaw and Slytherin characters. They just make sense to me. I can't write anything Luna Lovegood though because her mindset is a mystery to me.

4. Which of your own personality traits do you include most often in your own characters, if at all?

I tend to make all of my OCs a little neurotic and insecure. I like my characters to have panic attacks, a general sense of disillusionment with the world, and I tend to make them all commitment-phobes which is very much me all around!

5. Who is your favourite Austen character and is there any possibility that you would write Austen-inspired stories? :)
I honestly love Elizabeth Bennet so, so much. She's the person I always hoped I'd end up becoming. It's a shame that I ended up a bit more Mr. Darcy instead! ;) I have a collection of one shots and short stories that I just put up on the archives! Each story is a different AU from DirigiblePlums's AU list that she posted after the challenge was over! It's a really great list if you find yourself needing some inspiration!

HI! Thank you for stopping by! <3

• How do you write so much? Every time I check you've got something new going on!

I really don't write much, I swear! Or at the very least I don't post nearly as much as I do end up writing. The beginnings are easy. It's the whole finishing my story thing I'm struggling with!

• Where do you get all of your ideas from? THEY'RE ALL AMAZING

I highly recommend procrastinating something really big and important. All the best ideas flood in then! ;)

• Will you teach me how to write summaries?

Only if you teach me how to title stories!  :P

• What's your favorite color?

Green! The more natural and foresty the better!

• I'm SO into the idea of the Hogwarts text books! What made you think of doing that? How are they coming along so far?

I've wanted to write them for years! I think I was procrastinating during finals when I first started the project! I've finished my first one which was The Encyclopedia of Bat Eyes and now I'm working on From Egg to Inferno: a Dragon-Keeper's Guide! I really want to make it an interactive ebook and so I'm toying with making them (it's not as easy as I thought it would be) so I'll definitely send it public once I figure it out!

• 2 months later...

Kayla, you lovely person! <3

1. what are some of your biggest inspirations?

The last few stories have been inspired heavily by my dreams! I'd like to thank zzzquil for making so much weird stuff happen in them. :P

2. it seems to me that you frequently have quite a few projects on the go. how many wips do you have right now?  just out of curiosity :D and do you plan to finish them all? do you have any sort of strategy?

Actual posted WIPs I only have a small handful of by on my google docs I have 14 folders that are either HP eras, OFs, or other fandoms. In those folders I have at least two stories (17 in my next gen HP folder which is the most). So uhhh. I work on them whenever my muse dictates and there's no way I'll finish even a quarter of them. Probably at some point I'll post the works as drabbles though. 

3. what's your biggest struggle with writing?

Definitely motivation to actually write it. I really like fleshing out ideas, not so much typing them out. 

4. out of all your stories that are currently posted, which did you have the hardest time writing? which did you have the most fun writing?

I wrote a one shot called Monsters with Eloise Midgeon and it was very angsty and a sort of resigned story with major Gryffindor vibes and I really struggle with all three aspects so it was like pulling teeth for me. I'm very satisfied with the story over all though so I think that sort of struggle definitely produces better stories. I had the most fun on Survival of the Fittest because I LOVE apocalypses and survival stuff and there was so much research that I just fell into wikipedia hole after wikipedia hole.

5. who's a character you've never written before but would really love to tackle?

Somehow I've never done Ron. Like I don't think he even shows up in passing in any of my stories. :ninja: So he's definitely top of my list. 

6. do you have any characters that you don't think you could ever write?

Luna Lovegood is this character to an extreme for me. I just can't seem to wrap my mind around her characterization because I can't seem to understand her motivations well enough.

The only version of her that I connect with in fics or that feel organic to me are fics that portray her with autism. I think if I wrote her that's how I would write her, but I'd hold on to the story for a while before I felt researched enough to feel comfortable posting because I won't post a story–inclusive or not–If I'm not 100% sure that I'm not perpetuating stereotypes or portraying it correctly. 

7. how'd you get so awesome? <3

giphy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Helo Paula!

1. Your OF idea sounds very interesting! What made you chose southern US for the setting?

2. Who is your favorite character to write in Rose & Co Apothecary?

3. What is the most frustrating part about writing this story? Is it something that applies to OF in general, or is unique to this story?

• 4 months later...

Hello Paula! I'm here to drop off some questions from your secret cupid, Jayne Ostin:

Happy Valentine's, Paula! :wub:

• If Rose & Co. was a published book, what would you like the cover to look like?
  • There's a lot of solving disappearances in Rose & Co. Would you make a good detective?
  • What is it about modern Pride and Prejudice Aus that appeal to you?
  • How's that poly Raven Boys fic coming along?
  • If you could have any three fictional characters over for dinner, who would you invite and why? 

Edited by LadyL8
  • Haha 1

• 4 months later...

WHADDUP FAM. 

I'm writing a ghost OF that has been very poorly planned and has no title. But I more than welcome title help and will probably go lurk in that thread while I develop it. IT'S BEEN NAMED! STARBUCK SAVED THE DAY. The basic premise is that the MC (Clare) lives in this run down 80s style house that has no major history of hauntings or murders or really anything spooky, but her friends are convinced it's haunted and throwing a tantrum about it. They've all been injured in one form or another (falling downstairs, lightbulbs shattering overhead, etc). They finally convince her to let the YouTube renown ghost hunters, SpookyPasta, come check the place out. SpookyPasta is convinced there's an infestation of ghosty ghosts and they want to do an entire season at her place. They rent a B&B right next door and try to parse through the spirits in the house. It's a HUGE cast so let's parse out the characters. 

Nice, normal people who don't do paranormal investigations: 

Clare Winfield–Being haunted but doesn't believe it, literal ray of sunshine, teaches anthropology at the community college.

Adi Geller–The friend that convinces Clare at last to just let them check things out, school psychologist, has many soapboxes, brewer of the tea and coffee, the only one actually funny.

The ghost hunters:

Dev Mehta–Leader of SpookyPasta, resident super dork, enthusiastic love interest of a reluctant Clare.

Charlie Underwood–The only girl in SpookyPasta, fast friends with Clare, aspirations to leave the group and go back to college, doesn't want to disappoint her friends though, excellent baker. Potential love interest for Adi. 

Nic Damon– Also in SpookyPasta, convinced that demonic spirits like him way more than the others, thinks he's way cooler than he is, his job is to give the Office stare at the camera every so often, madly in love with Alden.

Alden Whitaker–The actual rational one in SpookyPasta (although everyone else thinks it's them), hardcore intellectual type, is a lawyer when they aren't filming, sweater and glasses boy. 

The minor characters I only half develop: 

Bee Cooper–Adi's not-quite-girlfriend-but-they're-like-talking who is next level annoying and Clare spends a good amount of time trying to hook Adi up with Charlie until Adi hems her up about it. Bee is overbearing and confrontational about minor things. She has twice as many soapboxes as Adi, but all of hers are ridiculous and toxic things. 

Dez Lawson–Teaches history at the community college with Clare, crazy supportive, doing a ton of emotional labor in all of his relationships, single dad after a messy divorce, everyone is at least half in love with him but he's focused on keeping his daughter happy and stable. 

• Like 3

Hey! Wooo okay so I'm veeery interested in this plunny! 

1. Where did this idea come from? 

2. It's so cool that this has the potential to be quite dramatic and suspenseful?? (look at bex experimenting with vocab) it seems like you're taking it down a comedic, fluffy kind of route. Which I like. Do you like writing comedy? Or is angst easier to write?

3. Why doesn't Clare believe in ghosts? And why are her friends so persistent in making her believe in them?! 

4. I like that there's a good romantic side plot going on here! Will it be ghost centric or romance centric...or romantic ghost centric? [insert ghost with heart eyes emoji] 

I hope you enjoy answering these!

• Like 1

YOU ARE SO LOVELY! 

1. Where did this idea come from? 

My family jokes all the time that my house that was built in like 2008 is haunted and the worst thing that's ever happened here is a divorce. Although, a really sad fact is that the child of the divorce went around writing depressing things on the the walls with clear crayon like "i wish daddy would come home" and "I feel so alone" and it really adds to the spooky factor. Then I was watching a youtube show about ghost hunters that was horribly cheesy and thought wow this would make a great marauders AU but then I went full OF with it instead. 

2. It's so cool that this has the potential to be quite dramatic and suspenseful?? (look at bex experimenting with vocab) it seems like you're taking it down a comedic, fluffy kind of route. Which I like. Do you like writing comedy? Or is angst easier to write?

I really, really struggling anything not fluff. I think I have one thing on my AP that's angsty/horror SO fluff is always my first choice and the funnier the fluff is the better! 

3. Why doesn't Clare believe in ghosts? And why are her friends so persistent in making her believe in them?! 

Clare has a very practical mindset of like ghosts and spirits having a place in culture for grieving purposes and for tales to scare children off of dangerous places. Her study definitely colors her world view. Her friends are meant to be pretty level-headed in the story until the hauntings become so blatant that even they feel the need to do something. Like things levitating right in front of them and Clare explaining it away as drafts kinds of things. 

4. I like that there's a good romantic side plot going on here! Will it be ghost centric or romance centric...or romantic ghost centric? [insert ghost with heart eyes emoji] 

ROOOOMANCE IS IN THE AIR! I like the idea of romantic ghost centric. ;) They story will mostly be driven by the ghosts with romance blossoming in the background. 

I Hope you enjoy answering these!

I LOVED ANSWERING THEM! I feel like every questions helps me flesh out my story so much more! Thank you so much! ❤️ 

• Like 2

PAULA, LOOK, I AM SO HERE FOR THIS. 

I want to preface this by saying that if you ever have questions about Indian culture (in regards to Dev), I gotchu. Also if you ever want a beta reader PLEASE I WANNA READ IT :’) 

ANYWAY QUESTIONS! 

1. Because this will be a fluffy story, I’m assuming that the ghosts died in a silly/funny fashion. Any ideas how they became ghosts? 

2. Are you nervous about writing OF? (I’m trying to figure out if it’s just me....) 

3. I can already imagine the dynamic between Clare and her friends and SpookyPasta hahaha—their characters already feel so well defined! How do you go about creating your characters? 

Okay, I feel like these questions were largely unhelpful and purely self indulgent XD I’m very very excited for this story though and just wanted to let you know that! ❤️ 

• Thanks 1

Hi Paula! ❤️ This sounds great! I'm glad to hear that it will be funny/fluffy because I'm a total chicken and I want to read this, ahaha. Just from these short descriptions all your characters are really compelling, which I'm so impressed by because I'm terrible at creating OCs! I don't really have any questions atm (Bex and Shreya have already covered what I wanted to ask!) but I'll try to come back later on with some! For now I just wanted to let you know that I'm super into this. :thumbsup: Good luck with JulNo!

• Like 1