News Ticker

The Prefects' Four of a Kind Challenge | 10th April 2019

facingthenorthwind

Prefects-box.png

Challenge Description: Now that you're all little "e" experts in the study of Magizoology thanks to the Magical Menagerie event, it's about time you use those learned skills with some on-the-field experience! For this challenge, you'll choose four cards to use as your own [something punny here] writing prompt! You will have until April 10th to submit your entries! 

Challenge Details: Below you'll find four categories (Who, What, Where, and What the Hell?) or (People, Objects, Places, and Lesser Known Magical Creatures). From each of those four categories, you'll choose a number (1-10) to obtain a card  (so you'll end up with four in total). Use those four cards as a prompt to include in your challenge entry! 

Categories: 

People.png

Locations.png

Creatures.png

Objects.png

(Please choose a number, 1-10, for each of the four categories above!)

Challenge Rules: 

-- Must be written in the HP Fandom or Original Fiction for ease of judging.
-- Must be between 1,000 and 2,500 words
-- Acceptable ratings: AA - M
-- May be combined with other challenges (note: if you're planning on combining this with the Great Collab Challenge, please note that (as per staff request) you may not submit it for quality judging in the Great Collab Challenge). 
-- Must use 3/4 prompt categories (a bonus review will be awarded for people who include all four prompt categories)
-- Please include " For the Prefects Four of a Kind Challenge" in your title summary. 
-- You can change numbers once if yours don't work for you.
-- Each card can be used up to a maximum of 4 times

Rewards:

3rd Place: One additional review on a story of your choice, a prize graphic, WJ questions
2nd Place: Two additional reviews on a story/stories of your choice, a prize graphic, WJ questions, a PicSpam relating to your entry
1st Place: Three additional reviews on a story/stories of your choice, a prize graphic, WJ questions, a PicSpam relating to your entry, a feature in the Prefect's Blog In the Spotlight (including a review column piece for your entry and an interview with the author).

Special Notes: All graphics and challenge idea are from @Alexis Black

Edited by MadiMalfoy
Adding in card use limit
  • Like 2

Will we be able to switch numbers if those we get don't work for us? 

2 minutes ago, Aphoride said:

Will we be able to switch numbers if those we get don't work for us? 

Yes, once. I'll edit that into the main post, thanks Laura! 

Okay since I “have” to be difficult...

Who: 6

What: 3

Where: 9

What The Hell?: 7

1 minute ago, MalfoysAngel said:

Okay since I “have” to be difficult...

Who: 6

What: 3

What The Hell?: 7

Your cards:

06.png.b9251e86ae778a28131889f775ddd5e2.png Bunyip.png.e4ad30d3b9b11fa478b1b09dd348ef14.pngDreamcatcher.png Abandoned-Subway.png.564e7f2718f20cca43e6d83bf6760507.png

Participants:

MalfoysAngel (6, 3, 9, 7)

Would I be able to get these? 

Who: 1 

What: 3

Where: 8

What the hell: 10

Can I please take:

Who: 2

What: 5

Where: 7

What the hell: 9

Last question, I promise! With the who images, are they meant to be specific characters or can we pick anyone based of the image and how we see the character? (E.g. if I pick 6 is it meant to be Sirius or can I pick any dark-haired guy?) 

(Sorry guys, I'm easily confused today ?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Aphoride said:

Last question, I promise! With the who images, are they meant to be specific characters or can we pick anyone based of the image and how we see the character? (E.g. if I pick 6 is it meant to be Sirius or can I pick any dark-haired guy?) 

Good question! The character is up to you. If you want him to be Sirius, then he's Sirius. If someone else thinks he'd make a perfect Neville or OF character, then so be it.

Edited by Alexis Black

Currently I’m too busy drooling over the guy to figure out who he’s gonna be ????????

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sleepingbagonthesofa said:

Would I be able to get these? 

Who: 1 

What: 3

Where: 8

What the hell: 10

Your cards:

01.png.38f991cb7f698960c489e4e2484c3e75.pngAlkonost.png.15f893a5950c7f6202236ca3aa1c829d.png  Dreamcatcher.png Catacombs.png.1115d64a2ac1ece28162fdd45f73a8c9.png

5 minutes ago, Finefrenzy__ said:

Can I please take:

Who: 2

Where: 7

What the hell: 9

Your cards:

02.png.c21ffc4ff74129551775de4d32738185.png Amphisbaena.png.905248e6bf782c12bbbf5ba05d1dc585.png Kangling.png 

Chateau-Miranda.png.b278dff66c036890c54dd44feaac5f15.png

Château 

Just now, Aphoride said:

I love how cautious you're being with this. :P You can pick any dark-haired guy! They absolutely have no intended identity. ^_^ 

Participants:

Sleepingbagonthesofa (1, 3, 8, 10)
Finefrenzy_ (2, 5, 7, 9)

• Like 1

With the creatures, how much should we include them? Like if mine was a flying pig would my story have to include a flying pig to count for that prompt or would the mention of/ legend about a flying pig do? 

Who 7

what 1

where 1

what The heck 3

if none are avail let me know and I’ll change 

8 minutes ago, Sleepingbagonthesofa said:

With the creatures, how much should we include them? Like if mine was a flying pig would my story have to include a flying pig to count for that prompt or would the mention of/ legend about a flying pig do? 

They have to be significant to the story -- so if your characters' lifelong dream was to find a flying pig and that clearly motivates them throughout the story but there's no actual appearance of a flying pig, that's still a fulfillment. Similarly, if they see a flying pig once and never mention it again, it doesn't really count. However, do know that none of this is "if you fail one component, you get disqualified" or anything! We have a scoring system that won't totally destroy you for one thing going wrong. ❤️ 

4 minutes ago, Lacey Black said:

Who 7

what 1

where 1

what The heck 3

if none are avail let me know and I’ll change 

Your cards:

07.png.dc40d117572c7ee982e128f20db4b103.png Stymphalian-Birds.png.d151ea58afc2b84298907560779c2b5b.pngBox.png.8f37b86517fd8a409be0be3d024048d9.png Rakotzbruke.png.eddfada22cf76021210028dd4e38f208.png

Participants:

Finefrenzy_ (2, 5, 7, 9)
Lacey Black (7, 1, 1, 3)

Edited by facingthenorthwind
  • Like 1

Just now, facingthenorthwind said:

They have to be significant to the story -- so if your characters' lifelong dream was to find a flying pig and that clearly motivates them throughout the story but there's no actual appearance of a flying pig, that's still a fulfillment. Similarly, if they see a flying pig once and never mention it again, it doesn't really count. However, do know that none of this is "if you fail one component, you get disqualified" or anything! We have a scoring system that won't totally destroy you for one thing going wrong. ❤️ 

Makes sense! I'll have to make sure we get some decent amount of flying pig involved ? lol yes I remember the scoring ❤️

• Like 2

I'm in! 

Who: 3 

Where: 7 (hoping this is Chateau Miranda ) 

What the hell: 3

Edited by crestwood

4 hours ago, crestwood said:

I'm in! 

Who: 3 

Where: 7 (hoping this is Chateau Miranda) 

What the hell: 3

Joey I want to go to sleeeeeeeeep (jokes lads hopefully someone else will take over for me while I am unconscious and then at university/work/etc, my Wednesdays are v busy)

Your cards:

03.png.62b18fffbc136d5538c65a1715c31142.pngStymphalian-Birds.png.d151ea58afc2b84298907560779c2b5b.png Kangling.pngChateau-Miranda.png.b278dff66c036890c54dd44feaac5f15.png

Participants:

Finefrenzy_ (2, 5, 7, 9)
Lacey Black (7, 1, 1, 3)
crestwood (3, 5, 7, 3)

EDIT: All cards have a maximum of 4 uses, so please be aware of that when choosing your numbers! 

Cards Left: (People: All) (Objects: All) (Location: All) (WTH: All)

Edited by MadiMalfoy

I may be in ?

Who: 8

What: 10

Where: 2

What the hell: 5

This might be the perfect thing to get me writing now that I'm back again!

Can I please get:

Who: 4
Where: 6
What the hell: 7

Thank you :P (and on a sidenote, the graphics are gorgeous @Alexis Black!)

• Like 1

I'm going to give this try and we'll see how it goes :P 

May I please have...

Who: 2
What: 1

What the hell: 6

Thank you!

Edited by MuggleMaybe
I put the wrong number for one, I'm sorry! Fixed!

I’ll take 3 for who, what, and what the hell?

For Where, I’d like to specifically request Rainbow Mountain aka Vinicunca in Peru. It’s the striped mountains in the where card pictures. (Although I’d like to note that they have it improperly named as Asungate which is actually the glacial mountains behind the rainbow mountains. The Rainbow Mountains themselves are Vinicunca.)

Also, nice selection on locations! I’ve been to 5 out of the ones shown in the original post.

Edited by Alexis Black
Alexis Black: I stand corrected!
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, juls said:

I may be in ?

Who: 8

What: 10

Where: 2

What the hell: 5

Sorry for the delay, Juls!!! Your cards:

Hippocampus.png 08.png Thors-Well.png Unknown.png 

6 hours ago, you-make-me-wander said:

This might be the perfect thing to get me writing now that I'm back again!

Can I please get:

Who: 4
Where: 6
What the hell: 7

Thank you :P (and on a sidenote, the graphics are gorgeous @Alexis Black!)

Your cards:

04.png Bunyip.png Kangling.png Dark-Hedge-Tunnel.png 

16 minutes ago, MuggleMaybe said:

I'm going to give this try and we'll see how it goes :P 

May I please have...

Who: 2
What: 1

What the hell: 6

Thank you!

Your cards:

02.png Grootslang.png Ausangate.png Box.png

4 minutes ago, TreacleTart said:

I’ll take 3 for who, what, and what the hell?

For Where, I’d like to specifically request Rainbow Mountain aka Vinicunca in Peru. It’s the striped mountains in the where card pictures.

Also, nice selection on locations! I’ve been to 5 out of the ones shown in the original post.

Your cards:

Ausangate.png Dreamcatcher.png Stymphalian-Birds.png 03.png 

May I switch my Creature to the wendigo? And my where to the catacombs please? If not I’ll just stick with what I have.

thanks

This is really intriguing and I'd love to try something for this!

Who: 10

What: 7

Where: 5

What the hell: 2

Another question - is the place we're given meant to be in the story as the named place, or just inspire a setting? For example, if we were writing a HP story and our location was Thor's Well, should the story specifically take place there, or could it take place in a setting resembling it but not necessarily named/in the same country?

So this is embarrassing but I creeped on Tasha’s cards and I thought place 9 was the subway but I must have gotten mixed up somehow. Could I please use my one switch to get the subway card instead? ?