News Ticker

Original Fiction Goals: Spring 2019 Edition

Pixileanin

@Rumpelstiltskin - good going with the chapter! and 350 words is definitely excellent progress!

the masterclasses are going good! gaiman has such a wonderful reading voice and i'm always in such a pleasant state of mind when he reads out excerpts haha. last week was pretty bad on the writing front due to a lot of stress and things going down irl, but i managed to start revisions on one of my short stories - so there's lots of annotations and points jotted down for rewrites. i also started a new short story today and i'm about 400ish words into it, plus i have about 1000 words worth of little drabbles for one of my other projects which i'm counting for camp nano as well to make me feel a bit better about myself. all in all, that's a little over 5k (semi-usable) words written this month and i'm on track with my overall goal of 15k for the month, so right now i'm just trying to keep the momentum going to power through slump phases. 

please count me in if you guys are doing any rat races! feel free to tag me whenever you're online and i'll try to join you if i'm free then ^_^ 

also, i plan on updating my novel nest (and subsequently my WJ after nano's done) with a bunch of resources for writing/planning/editing that i've been compiling while i work on my projects. i've currently mentioned a couple in there, and i plan on adding to them every week, so if that's something you might be interested in, check them out. :D

Edited by galadriel
  • Like 1

Hi all. It's Friday, and I need to write my stuff.

Someone tell me to go write my stuff.

Just... set a timer and make words... doesn't seem that hard...

15 minutes ago, Pixileanin said:

Hi all. It's Friday, and I need to write my stuff.

Someone tell me to go write my stuff.

Just... set a timer and make words... doesn't seem that hard...

Go write your stuff, Pix!! :computer:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Tanda
On 4/7/2019 at 11:53 AM, Pixileanin said:

How was your week? Are you NaNoing, or are you NaNooooing? (I'm the later. My writing goals are tough enough without the added word count pressure).

@StarFeather - words?

great to hear you seem to find time for writing, Pixi. What are your vampires (including Smeed, is that right name?) doing now?

I managed to write about 5K for Rumpel's OF story challenge. I struggled to balance the darkness and the brightness of the story.

Besides the 15 -30 minutes I have in the mornings, I don't have much time to write these days.  But I still managed to reach 35 k of my OF novel.  Not sure where it will end up, but it's going somewhere.

@Tanda Hey! No Smeed and Burns these days.  Just plodding through my novel until I hit the end.  It'll be at least another month or so until I get there.  I wanted to do challenges along the way, but there's no time in my life right now for anything but jotting down a few words here and there.

The good news is that I can reliably hand write 600-800 new story words in half an hour.  Thanks for checking in!

• Like 2

Guest Rumpelstiltskin
17 hours ago, Pixileanin said:

But I still managed to reach 35 k of my OF novel

That's amazing -- great job, Pix! \O/

I did manage to write half a chapter of my WIP OF and half a chapter of a new OF (not the one I was meant to be working on, but you know). I'm going to try to get a poem and a writing exercise done today so that I've [mostly] met my April goals. 

@Pixileanin well I didn't actually do much writing for Eirraphe this month as I got sidetracked with other projects during Camp, but nevertheless I have a better idea of what I want to write about for him which is a start! I'm planning on knocking that short piece out next week probably so I'm excited!

(S/O @Rumpelstiltskin for that question in my Novel Nest that made me actually think about it! :P)

Edited by MadiMalfoy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Posting here to talk myself into continuing on with my OF story despite my anxieties about the upcoming scenes. I'm currently working on a screenplay that I have been developing for some time. It concerns the end of the world, like many stories do. This particular world just so happens to be man-made and the inhabitants are not exactly upset by the certain demise of their planet--in fact, they throw a party. 

I've probably written more words of notes on worldbuilding concerning this story than I have actual words of the script itself. I want to keep the momentum of the first two scenes going and I know exactly where the story is going. Only a matter of actually doing the writing. (That's the hard part for me :P) 

• Like 3

Guest Noelle Zingarella

@crestwood Joey, I'm simply loving your screenplay and I want to encourage you (selfishly) to continue working on it! I sympathize with your anxieties and with the difficulties of writing actual words when world building and outlining can be so much easier. But you can do it!

@crestwood You can do this!  Remember that the first draft of whatever you put down doesn't have to be the last draft.  Don't let the fear of doing it wrong stop you from moving forward.  In fact, I challenge you to write that next scene as soon as you can, and do it ALL WRONG and be proud of it!  Then you can look back and see what you might want to change. Or, you might surprise yourself and get a twist you weren't expecting.

:bunny:

I was stuck on my OF for a little while too, wondering where the heck it was going (since I was writing without a solid plan in front of me) and I just broke through the fear to sit down and see where it led me.  It IS scary, but it's worth it. :)

Edited by Pixileanin

i'm back with new goals! my writing program is coming to an end so i have a lot to complete over the next few weeks. 

1. figure out my submission for the anthology [deadline June 12th]

• finish edits and have a completed second draft by May 26th 
  • get feedback from cohort by June 1st
  • make necessary edits and finalise the piece by June 7th 
  • add it to the gdoc template by June 8th
  • finish formatting and finalise bio by June 11th 

2. portfolio submission [deadline June 23rd]

• go through all the first drafts and segregate them + figure out which ones to submit by May 28th
  • edit chosen pieces by June 15th 
  • get final feedback & complete the portfolio file by June 18th 
  • last round of checking & edits, then submit by June 22nd latest 
  • Like 3

On 3/24/2019 at 11:41 PM, teh tarik said:

Thanks pix, for the weekly poke. :)

I think I was supposed to complete the first draft of my short story by the end of March. Well, I'm currently writing the last few paragraphs of the story. It has been incredibly difficult to get to this point though - and I'm quite unhappy with what I have, but am willing to give the piece some time after I've completed the draft, before starting a rewrite, and hopefully find new direction and focus with the story.

After this, I'm going to have to give some serious thought about what I want to write next.

On 3/31/2019 at 1:35 AM, teh tarik said:

Thanks! ^_^ I have now finished that first draft. I gave it some time, put it away and refused to read it for a few days. Then yesterday I made myself open up the file and reread and start making notes on how to revise / rewrite / refocus the whole thing.

I will probably do Camp NaNo with the goal of having a revised and readable short story by the end of April, and then all that's left will hopefully be the fine-tuning. I'm keeping my fingers crossed I'll actually finish this story.

Holy crap I think I'm nearly done with this short story that I've been working on all bloody year haha :P I finished the first draft end of March, finished the second draft end of April, and now it's end of May and I've finished my third re-write and I'm less unhappy with it now. All it needs is for me to comb through it and sort out grammar. Story turned out to be 9000+ words; I've permanently lost my ability to write anything under 5K words >.<

I don't know what I'll do with this story yet. But I'm so ready to write something different.

• Like 1

@teh tarik That's great! Congrats on the near-finish!  If you want a beta for it, I've got a 4700 word short story that needs fresh eyes.  I have a few issues with flow and time jumping, but otherwise, it's almost where I want it.  Let me know if you want to trade.

I think we should look into Summer Goals soon.  It's getting hot.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tanda said:

How's your dragon tale (OF?) going, @MadiMalfoy?

I'd like to say it's going better than it is....but it's not. Just trying to figure exactly where I want to go with it in terms of length and character development. I do have a couple hundred words already down though so it's not a total lost cause yet that I won't get it in by the deadline! :P 

On 5/27/2019 at 8:00 AM, Pixileanin said:

@teh tarik That's great! Congrats on the near-finish!  If you want a beta for it, I've got a 4700 word short story that needs fresh eyes.  I have a few issues with flow and time jumping, but otherwise, it's almost where I want it.  Let me know if you want to trade.

I think we should look into Summer Goals soon.  It's getting hot.

Thanks! And sure, I'm happy to trade. That is, if 9000 words isn't too daunting for you. 😀 What's the best way to get in touch with you? Twitter DMs ok? 

@teh tarik Twitter DM is good.  DM here is good too.  Let me know when you're ready! I'm supposed to finish a challenge entry by June 5th, so if next week is okay, that'd be good timing for me.