News Ticker

The Spin-Off Challenge | July 5, 2019

crestwood

I had a lot of fun judging my last challenge, so here I am with another! This one, hopefully, will shape up to be just as enjoyable. 

The Spin-off Challenge

Predictably, your challenge is to spin-off a story. Even more predictably, there’s a bit more to it. 

Challenge Details

Your task is to find a story on the HPFT archives, written by anyone other than yourself, and write a spin-off of it. To me, there’s endless fun in reinterpreting the ideas of another writer and I love to see the works that can spring out of this sort of exchange. 

All fandoms will be accepted, as well as Original Fiction. 

I will read the stories that you are spinning off in order to get a solid idea of what elements you are borrowing. 

You can use unique worldbuilding from your story, or characters from your story - either will fulfill the spin-off requirement. 

If you’d like to crossover your chosen story with one of your own, that is acceptable as well. 

You may post in the thread as a taker before you have found a story to spin-off if you'd like, as long as your eventual entry makes it clear in the summary or author's note which story it is based on. 

Challenge Rules

You must ask for permission before using someone else’s story for this challenge. 

My stories are not allowed to be spun off for this challenge due to the huge conflict of interest :P

No prewritten entries will be accepted. 

All entries must be posted on the HPFT archives, with this challenge mentioned in the summary or story notes. 

Multiple entries are allowed.

No length or chapter requirement. Not necessary to complete before the deadline if multi-chaptered. 

Can be any rating. 

I will leave reviews on every chapter of every entry uploaded between now and the Challenge deadline! 

Challenge Rewards

Third place: three reviews on stories of your choice and a link in my sig for one month.

Second place: five reviews on stories of your choice and a link in my sig for one month. 

First place: seven reviews on stories of your choice and a link in my sig for one month. 

Judgment 

I will be judging based on - 

How well you integrate elements of the story you are spinning off.

The execution of your writing. 

And that is all! 

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask away in the thread! 

Edited by crestwood

Ooh. This is just like the Fanfic Favorite Challenge I just had. I’m glad I can participate this time. :)

I’m not sure who I’ll spin off, but count me in.

@TreacleTart Oh, yes - I was told about that challenge after I had this idea; I wish I could have been around to join in on that one! I can't wait to see what you do for this! 

Takers:

TreacleTart

• Like 1

I'll be a taker. Spin-off source TBD.

I shall be a maybe, but I don’t know what I would spin off yet ?

I literally JUST discussed this premise with @Stella Blue and how I should have written a spin-off of her fic Icarus and she was very enthusiastic. Great timing! (Also, bless you for the summer deadline.)

I’ll be a taker with a spin-off of Icarus by Stella Blue :twothumbsup:

@MuggleMaybe Wow, I'm keen to see what you make of that story - (such a unique fic!) 

Takers

TreacleTart

TidalDragon

Noelle Zingarella

MuggleMaybe

Maybes

poppunkpadfoot

@Lacey Black I am so here for a Saving Severus spin-off 😁

Takers

TreacleTart

TidalDragon

Noelle Zingarella

MuggleMaybe

victoria_anne

Lacey Black

Maybes

poppunkpadfoot

• Like 1

Guest Rumpelstiltskin

O/ I'd like to be a maybe, but am entirely unsure of what I want to spin off from right this moment. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/13/2019 at 3:30 PM, Lacey Black said:

I’m in! Spinning off Saving Severus Snape with Megs approval

SSS!   SSS!  SSS!  Great idea, @Lacey Black

• Like 3

@Rumpelstiltskin Somehow this slipped past me, but have you down as a maybe now! 

@Noelle Zingarella I'm excited to see what you do with Vicki's story :D

Takers

TreacleTart

TidalDragon

Noelle Zingarella

MuggleMaybe

victoria_anne

Lacey Black

Rumpelstiltskin

Maybes

poppunkpadfoot

Noelle Zingarella

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be spinning off @poppunkpadfoot's passionfruit!! Not entirely sure how yet, but that's a problem for future Emma. :P A look at the decision process:

2005429654_lesbianswouldbecool.PNG.35c7f72953fe0225965db681b0a18965.PNG

i know everyone is like "but wolfstar" but they are forgetting that kayla and i have two (2) personality traits, and only ONE of them is wolfstar.

the other one is lesbians.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

@poppunkpadfoot @facingthenorthwind Very prepared to see you spin-off each other's stories! I should have seen this coming :P

Takers: 

TreacleTart

TidalDragon

Noelle Zingarella

MuggleMaybe

victoria_anne

Lacey Black

Rumpelstiltskin

poppunkpadfoot

facingthenorthwind

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could I do a remix of the variety where I take some of the dialogue from the original? I have two different ideas, one a remix and one a sequel (i.e., one is a Sirius POV of the events of passionfruit, and one is Marlene Mckinnon getting to pash a girl).

• 2 weeks later...