Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Happy Pride month! <3
  • Congratulations to all of our house award winners!
  • The House Cup Finale is underway! Check out the Campaign Headquarters sub-forum for more information.
nott theodore

The Shaking Up Shakespeare Challenge | 10th July 2019

teh tarik

I'm a maybe for this. I have an unfinished story sitting in drafts influenced by A Midsummer Night's Dream - so I'll choose this. Hopefully will give me inspo to finish the fic.

• Like 1

northbound24

I've being searching for the right Shakespeare quote to inspire a tale for this challenge and I've got the one:

“I would give all my fame for a pot of ale and safety”

Henry V: Act 3, Scene 2

• Like 1

nott theodore
On 4/17/2019 at 5:17 AM, Jen25 said:

My love for Shakespeare knows no end! Count me in, with this quote from Twelfth Night Act 2 Scene 5: "Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em."

Great!  That quote was one of the many on my list!

On 4/17/2019 at 12:52 PM, Sleepingbagonthesofa said:

Quite predictably, I'm in with Macbeth.

Edit: I'm a maybe with Macbeth... 

I would never have guessed :P in all seriousness, I look forward to seeing what you do with it!

On 4/17/2019 at 3:38 PM, Oregonian said:

Not promising anything, but if I did write, it would be Macbeth for sure.  I and my five siblings used to act out scenes from Macbeth in our living room as children, and I have many lines and sections memorized.  This August, I and my daughter and granddaughter are going to the Oregon Shakespearean Festival in Ashland to see Macbeth. I have been waiting for several years for this play to come up in their rota.  :loveshower:

I hope that you find some inspiration from it, because I would love to read it!  (And Macbeth is one of the many Shakespeare plays I'd love to see!)

On 4/20/2019 at 12:15 AM, teh tarik said:

I'm a maybe for this. I have an unfinished story sitting in drafts influenced by A Midsummer Night's Dream - so I'll choose this. Hopefully will give me inspo to finish the fic.

Ooh, that sounds awesome!  I hope you manage to finish it!

On 4/23/2019 at 10:18 PM, northbound24 said:

I've being searching for the right Shakespeare quote to inspire a tale for this challenge and I've got the one:

“I would give all my fame for a pot of ale and safety”

Henry V: Act 3, Scene 2

What a great quote!  I'm looking forward to seeing what sort of story that inspires for you!

Participants: 

Spoiler

val (As You Like It - #28)

esmeraude (Twelfth Night)

MalfoysAngel (Romeo and Juliet or Julius Caesar)

VaguelyCreativeName (King Lear)

Aphoride (Hamlet)

Lost_Robin (Much Ado About Nothing)

Noelle Zingarella (Hamlet, Act 1, Scene 5)

victoria_anne (Measure for Measure - #31)

secretdreamer (Much Ado About Nothing or A Midsummer Night's Dream)

Bunbury (Henry IV Parts 1 and 2)

melian (Twelfth Night)

Lacey Black (As You Like It)

Jen25 (Twelfth Night, Act 2, Scene 5)

Sleepingbagonthesofa (Macbeth)

Oregonian (Macbeth)

teh tarik (Twelfth Night)

northbound24 (Henry V, Act 3, Scene 2)

Entries:

Spoiler

home is an abstract noun, 1 by crestwood (Sonnet 55)

Numbers available: 1-27, 29, 30, 32-50

Diogenissa

I shouldn't but I -do- need to get back to writing since I really haven't all year.  Can you call me maybe please?  This gave me an idea on Tybalt being prince of cats having an actual cat 😆

• Like 1

grumpy cat
Posted (edited)

is it okay if it's a sort of...sequel to a sequel (to nuclear love and playing with fire) - not sure what i have in mind could be read completely standalone :ninjavanish: if it is, i'll try to use the quote from the tempest 'Hell is empty and all the devils are here' as inspiration

Edited by starbuck
  • Like 1

nott theodore
On 5/12/2019 at 6:19 PM, Diogenissa said:

I shouldn't but I -do- need to get back to writing since I really haven't all year.  Can you call me maybe please?  This gave me an idea on Tybalt being prince of cats having an actual cat 😆

Of course!  I'm assuming everyone is a maybe until I get an entry from them, but I look forward to seeing what you do with this!

18 hours ago, starbuck said:

is it okay if it's a sort of...sequel to a sequel (to nuclear love and playing with fire) - not sure what i have in mind could be read completely standalone :ninjavanish: if it is, i'll try to use the quote from the tempest 'Hell is empty and all the devils are here' as inspiration

Normally I'd say no to this one but since you've given me almost two months' notice, I'm happy for you to write a sequel to those stories and I'll try and make sure I get chance to read them before judging :) (I love that quote!  I wrote a story inspired by it once too so I'm really intrigued to see your take on it!)

Participants:

Spoiler

Aphoride (Hamlet)

melian (Twelfth Night)

Oregonian (Macbeth)

Diogenissa (Romeo and Juliet/Tybalt)

starbuck (The Tempest, Act 1, Scene 2)

Entries:

Spoiler

Numbers available: 1-27, 29, 30, 32-50

• Thanks 1

Tanda
Posted (edited)

Hi, Sian @nott theodore. Though I didn't think I should participate in the story challenges anymore once, I might try, using this quote from Macbeth, "fair is foul, and foul is fair" as my acquaintance enlightened me.

for my OF.

Edited by Tanda
  • Like 1

Chemical_Pixie

My dear, lovely Sian,

Thank you for hosting such a brilliant challenge! I would like to do some drabbles based on the following:

• Sonnet 29
  • Sonnet 64
  • Sonnet 97
  • 'Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin, as self-neglecting.' (Henry V, Act 2, Scene 4)
  • 'Let heaven and men and devils, let them all, All, all, cry shame against me, yet I'll speak.' (Othello, Act 5, Scene 2)
  • 'I do love nothing in the world so well as you - is not that strange?' (Much Ado About Nothing, Act 4, Scene 1)  
  • 'I like not fair terms and a villain's mind.' (The Merchant of Venice, Act 1, Scene 3)
  • 'A plague of opinion! A man may wear it on both sides, like a leather jerkin.' (Troilus and Cressida, Act 3, Scene 3)

If I come up with another mini-idea, I'll check here to see if three other people have taken the text. ❤️ 

• Like 1

nott theodore
On 5/28/2019 at 4:14 AM, Tanda said:

Hi, Sian @nott theodore. Though I didn't think I should participate in the story challenges anymore once, I might try, using this quote from Macbeth, "fair is foul, and foul is fair" as my acquaintance enlightened me.

for my OF.

I'm glad you've got inspiration from this challenge!  I look forward to seeing what you write :)

4 hours ago, Chemical_Pixie said:

My dear, lovely Sian,

Thank you for hosting such a brilliant challenge! I would like to do some drabbles based on the following:

• Sonnet 29
  • Sonnet 64
  • Sonnet 97
  • 'Self-love, my liege, is not so vile a sin, as self-neglecting.' (Henry V, Act 2, Scene 4)
  • 'Let heaven and men and devils, let them all, All, all, cry shame against me, yet I'll speak.' (Othello, Act 5, Scene 2)
  • 'I do love nothing in the world so well as you - is not that strange?' (Much Ado About Nothing, Act 4, Scene 1)  
  • 'I like not fair terms and a villain's mind.' (The Merchant of Venice, Act 1, Scene 3)
  • 'A plague of opinion! A man may wear it on both sides, like a leather jerkin.' (Troilus and Cressida, Act 3, Scene 3)

If I come up with another mini-idea, I'll check here to see if three other people have taken the text. ❤️ 

Yay, I can't wait to see what you do with those!  I'll take the sonnets and quotes off my list ;)

Participants:

Spoiler

Aphoride (Hamlet)

melian (Twelfth Night)

Oregonian (Macbeth)

Diogenissa (Romeo and Juliet/Tybalt)

starbuck (The Tempest, Act 1, Scene 2)

Tanda (Macbeth, Act 1, Scene 1)

Chemical_Pixie (various)

Entries: 

Spoiler

Numbers available: 1, 3-6, 8, 9-27, 29, 30, 32, 34-36, 38, 39, 41-47, 49

Just under six weeks left to get those entries written!  I can't wait to see what you all come up with :D 

• Like 2
  • Gryffindor 1

Chemical_Pixie

I have the first two installments of my challenge entry! ❤️ 

Yet They Speak

More updates to come!

• Like 2

Chelts-rhj

I’m going to try and do something with Taming of the Shrew!

• Like 1

Recent Badges

TreacleTart

How could I possibly resist this? Could I see prompt number 13 please?

• Like 1

Aphoride

I'm not exactly sure what this is, but here you go: the quintessence of dust. (M) :P (First chapter up now, a second (hopefully!) to come by the deadline ^_^

• Like 1

nott theodore
On 6/13/2019 at 9:11 AM, TreacleTart said:

How could I possibly resist this? Could I see prompt number 13 please?

Prompt 13 is Sonnet 107: 'Not mine own fears, nor the prophetic soul...'

Sorry for the massive delay in replying! Let me know if that works for you or if you'd like another prompt :)

@Chelts-rhj @Aphoride I can't wait to see what you come up with/what you've written!

• Like 1

northbound24

First two chapters of Fortune and Glory are up: Here

• Like 1

Noelle Zingarella

Hi Sian! When it is validated, this link to my entry Confession should work. Thank you for hosting this challenge!

• Like 1

Lacey Black

Can I change my piece to something based off of Romeo and Juliet?

• Like 1

nott theodore
On 7/5/2019 at 11:13 PM, Lacey Black said:

Can I change my piece to something based off of Romeo and Juliet?

Yes! Sorry for the delay in responding, it's been a busy time. Let me know if you need an extra couple of days to finish off because of that :)

I'm looking forward to reading all the other entries!

grumpy cat

sorry sian, there's no chance of me being able to make the deadline - sadly, i've been really drained due to some rl stuff so i haven't been able to productively write anything <.< i'll still definitely write the story (hopefully some time soon haha) because your challenge inspired a whole thing :P

• Like 1

Aphoride

Just to say that the second chapter of the quintessence of dust is now up (just in time) ^_^ 

• Like 1

nott theodore
23 hours ago, grumpy cat said:

sorry sian, there's no chance of me being able to make the deadline - sadly, i've been really drained due to some rl stuff so i haven't been able to productively write anything <.< i'll still definitely write the story (hopefully some time soon haha) because your challenge inspired a whole thing :P

That's okay - thanks so much for letting me know!  I hope the energy and muse come back soon and let me know when you do write it!

22 minutes ago, Aphoride said:

Just to say that the second chapter of the quintessence of dust is now up (just in time) ^_^ 

Yay! Perfect timing - I can't wait to read it!

northbound24

Yeah this challenge has sparked an entire full novel-length story, writing chapter three right now

• Like 1

nott theodore
1 hour ago, northbound24 said:

Yeah this challenge has sparked an entire full novel-length story, writing chapter three right now

This is excellent news!  I'm so glad that it's inspired something for you!

teh tarik

Hiya, I'm wondering if I could get an extension on this? Just until the weekend? No worries if not possible. I've just been flat out for awhile.