News Ticker

The Open Road Challenge | June 30, 2019

WanderWitch

After some deliberation (and toying with a few other ideas), I bring to you The Open Road Challenge. Because who doesn't love a good road trip fic? 😉

1524081923_giphy(1).gif.99fef975a16e6d2bd0a8f85458b82e3d.gif

Challenge NameThe Open Road Challenge

Challenge Deadline: June 30, 2019

Accepted Fandom(s): Harry Potter

Accepted Ratings: Any and all ratings accepted

Challenge Details: Simply put, write about your faves going on a road trip! No matter what's behind it or their destination, I challenge you to write about their journey and all that ensues from having to share countless hours in a confined space with people you love/don't know that well/hate and dealing with all the frustration that comes with it.

It can be a trip with relatives, friends, or an arch-nemesis. No matter!

a942da787bd7a51b0f3fe225829076bd.gif.e83bfc11376096fcbb6b5f0dad1ae351.gif

Here are a few rules:

1. All entries must be posted on the HPFT Archives and follow the site guidelines/TOS.
  2. All entries must be either posted or in the queue by the deadline.
  3. The story can focus on just one character, a pairing or a group of people, so long as the focus is on their antics while on the road.
  4. I'll accept both a canon-following narrative, as well as an AU setting.
  5. All characters and ships are accepted, as well as any genre and era.
  6. I'll accept both one-shots and multi-chapters (although if you wish to submit a multi-chapter story, please note that at least 2 chapters must be posted by the deadline, and that I'll take into account whether those chapters already revolve around the road trip in itself for judging).
  7. Multiple entries are allowed! Not only because the more, the merrier (of course), but also because it might entice those of you who might want to write for different characters/pairings.
  8. No pre-written stories, please. The idea is to get creative.
  9. Your entry may be combined with another challenge, so long as the rules of the other challenge are compatible with the rules of this one.
  10. Your story's summary must have «For you-make-me-wander's "The Open Road Challenge"»

anigif_sub-buzz-5323-1477591743-4.gif.49dd50b536e26641b13eeba0456a8a16.gif

Rewards: All entries will be reviewed and you'll be showered with everlasting gratitude for being part of this challenge!

:third: 3 reviews in stories of your choosing, 1 award graphic and 1 picspam for the prized story

:second: 5 reviews in stories of your choosing, 1 award graphic and 1 picspam for the prized story

:first: 8 reviews in stories of your choosing, 1 award graphic and 1 picspam for the prized story

The winners will be announced by July 14, 2019.

Judging will focus especially on the creativity and the quality of the work. Characterization will also be taken into account. Bonus points to whoever comes up with an interesting itinerary because wanderlust! Double bonus points to whoever includes the funniest and/or steamiest we-have-to-stop-at-a-motel-for-the-night-and-there's-only-one-bed scene because I live for them :whistling:

Let's get on the road, you guys 🚙

599df4161900003900dd5182.gif.73423793272437a901903b6bb1557d78.gif

Edited by you-make-me-wander
  • Like 4

i probably don't need any more challenges on my plate, but i specifically voted for this challenge in your poll bc i wanted an excuse to write a jily roadtrip, so uh, i'm in 🙃

• Like 2

Agh I shouldn't sign up but I need a marauders road trip tbh.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

SAME HERE

... perhaps i should enter as a maybe? 🙈🙈

• Like 2

On 4/14/2019 at 10:23 PM, ShadowRose said:

i probably don't need any more challenges on my plate, but i specifically voted for this challenge in your poll bc i wanted an excuse to write a jily roadtrip, so uh, i'm in 🙃

Yay, Jily roadtrip. Hope there's gonna be a lot of tension in this one! 😏

On 4/14/2019 at 10:33 PM, Lacey Black said:

Put me down as a very likely maybe

Noted ^_^

On 4/15/2019 at 5:41 PM, PaulaTheProkaryote said:

Yes! I was hoping someone would write a Marauders fic. I cannot wait, I bet it's gonna be awesome :D

23 hours ago, dirigibleplums said:

SAME HERE

... perhaps i should enter as a maybe? 🙈🙈

*whispers* do it :angel:

10 hours ago, crestwood said:

I'll be a taker for this one 😁

Glad you're on board too :icecream:

So happy there are already quite a few of you. We really need more roadtrip fics in his life! :roflol:

Takers:
. ShadowRose
. PaulaTheProkaryote

Maybe:
. Lacey Black
. dirigibleplums
. crestwood

• Thanks 1

Guest Noelle Zingarella

Oh my. I shouldn't. But, a Weasley Family road trip....especially a multi-generational one...

Okay, I'll do it.

@MrsDarcy Eeeexcellent :) Also, it's definitely just true that Snape is a terrible diver. 

Also in! I'll be writing two things (if that's OK): 

-- Sirius Black taking Phineas Nigellus (in portrait form) to get a new frame at Dumbledore's behest 

-- Phaedra (OC) and Hector (OC) peddling a tandem bicycle in the wrong direction for many hours 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Noelle Zingarella said:

Oh my. I shouldn't. But, a Weasley Family road trip....especially a multi-generational one...

Okay, I'll do it.

Oooh I want this. I already know it's likely going to be chaotic 😁

20 hours ago, MrsDarcy said:

In! A Snape, being a terrible driver, with Anne (OC) roadtrip! :ninja:

This promises. Snape behing the wheel is likely going to be hilarious, I can't wait!

18 hours ago, Bunbury said:

@MrsDarcy Eeeexcellent :) Also, it's definitely just true that Snape is a terrible diver. 

Also in! I'll be writing two things (if that's OK): 

-- Sirius Black taking Phineas Nigellus (in portrait form) to get a new frame at Dumbledore's behest 

-- Phaedra (OC) and Hector (OC) peddling a tandem bicycle in the wrong direction for many hours 

Multiple entries are definitely a thing. I can't decide which of the two I'm looking forward to read the most lol

It's looking up ^^

Takers:
. ShadowRose
. PaulaTheProkaryote
. crestwood
. Noelle Zingarella
. MrsDarcy
. Bunbury

Maybe:
. Lacey Black
. dirigibleplums

ahhh call me a maybe please!

• Like 1

On 4/21/2019 at 3:47 AM, adorably cute said:

ahhh call me a maybe please!

Of course!

Takers:
. ShadowRose
. PaulaTheProkaryote
. crestwood
. Noelle Zingarella
. MrsDarcy
. Bunbury

Maybe:
. Lacey Black
. dirigibleplums
. adorably cute

• 1 month later...

The first chapter of my entry pageantry is validated! This story has taken on a life of its own since I signed up for this challenge, let me tell you. 

• Like 1

So, silly question: is it still a road trip if it's on foot?

• Like 1

On 6/6/2019 at 6:41 AM, crestwood said:

The first chapter of my entry pageantry is validated! This story has taken on a life of its own since I signed up for this challenge, let me tell you. 

Yay! I cannot wait to check it out 😜

On 6/6/2019 at 12:24 PM, facingthenorthwind said:

So, silly question: is it still a road trip if it's on foot?

Hey Emma. Definitely! So long as it's a journey, I'll accept it ^^ should I count you as a maybe?

✤✤✤

Remember, only 3 weeks left to enter this challenge! I'm looking forward to read about all the roadtrip madness you guys will come up with :yay:

Takers:
. @down-in-flames
. @crowsb4bros
. @crestwood
. @Noelle Zingarella
. @MrsDarcy
. @Bunbury

Maybe:
. @Lacey Black
. @dirigibleplums
. @belgian quaffle

✤✤✤

Submited entries:
. @crestwood 's Pageantry

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Noelle Zingarella

The first chapter of my entry is here: Quo Vadis.

I should have the rest of the story at least in the queue by the deadline--I will let you know when it is ready. 

Guest Noelle Zingarella

I just put chapters 2 and 3 of Quo Vadis in the queue. I'll let you know when they post!

Friendly reminder that today is the deadline to submit your roadtrip entries!

If you'd like a 1-week extension, do ask for it. I won't mind and, after all, the more roadtrip stories we get to read, the better :roflol:

Takers:
. @crowsb4bros
. @MrsDarcy
. @Bunbury

Maybe:
. @Lacey Black
. @dirigibleplums
. @belgian quaffle
. @BookDinosaur

✤✤✤

Submited entries:
. @crestwood 's Pageantry
. @Noelle Zingarella's Quo Vadis
. @down-in-flames's Like a Deer in Headlights

Edited by you-make-me-wander

Mine is written just waiting for it to be beta read im hoping to pop it in the queue tonight 🤞🤞

• Like 1

• galadriel locked this topic