Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Happy Pride month! <3
  • Congratulations to all of our house award winners!
  • Minister Fenley is embroiled in scandal. Will her career survive?
facingthenorthwind

Walburga Black's Portrait

facingthenorthwind

So the esteemable @poppunkpadfoot was like "Emma.... why are there curtains covering Walburga Black's portrait?????" but with slightly fewer question marks and it got me thinking.

Why ARE there curtains? We know that Walburga was the last of the Blacks to die, so it's not like any family members outlived her. I thought I was onto something for a hot thirty seconds when I very triumphantly announced that Orion Black put them up, but no dice.

See the thing is that if you put up curtains, it implies that sometimes you DO want to see her. Also the curtains are described as "moth-eaten" in OotP, which means they've got to have been put up before 1995. Why didn't whoever put up the curtain just staple cloth over the portrait? Who was even available to do so? Why would Kreacher not want to see her? Is your essence already in a portrait before you die, or does your death trigger something?

I have so many questions and no answers.

• Like 1

poppunkpadfoot

who even put up the portrait in the first place? how does the talking-portraits-of-dead-people thing even work? if i'm a narcissist and i get a portrait done of myself while i'm alive and put it up, will it talk to me? WHY ARE THERE CURTAINS? WHO PUT THEM THERE?

Crimson Quill

So I have no answers but thoughts?

Maybe the portrait is to do with the magic of the house. We know that these portrait exist at Hogwarts which obviously is an old magical building so maybe its some magic to do with the building. So I would assume your death triggers something. Its only an imprint of the person.

I would think that the portrait was already on the wall as it's common for rich families to have painted portraits of themselves (or it at least it was hundreds years ago) so it probably wouldn't be considered narcissistic even. Just the done thing. 

I can only assume kreacher put up the curtain at her request as I can't think who else would and I can't believe kreacher would  put it up without her say so even if hes not bound to her. I have no idea why.

• Like 2

Noelle Zingarella

Could the curtains have gone up as a Victorianesque symbol of mourning? Or maybe Kreacher put them up so that Walburga could have some privacy when she gets her beauty rest?

• Like 1

Recent Badges

grumpy cat
Posted (edited)

i always thought that sirius and the order put them up in order to stop her screaming at them :hmm: (the moth eaten can just mean the house was so badly looked after until the cleaning by molly and co that moths quickly infested even them). i just had to google - it takes 4-10 days for clothes to get moth eaten after being infested

Edited by grumpy cat

poppunkpadfoot
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, grumpy cat said:

i always thought that sirius and the order put them up in order to stop her screaming at them :hmm: (the moth eaten can just mean the house was so badly looked after until the cleaning by molly and co that moths quickly infested even them). i just had to google - it takes 4-10 days for clothes to get moth eaten after being infested

Hahaha for me that raises the new question of how/why they figured the curtain would help? Like why wouldn’t she just keep screaming from behind the curtain??? Everything about this confuses me way too much

Edited by poppunkpadfoot

galadriel
Posted (edited)

i always thought that walburga black commissioned the portrait since she was the last one alive, and added a bit of her magic or blood or something to leave behind her imprint as a defense mechanism for the house. and i assumed sirius had put the curtain up when he first moved in as well to muffle the screaming since he couldn't remove the portrait completely. maybe he attached an old curtain that was lying around thinking that it would be perfect for his mother's portrait and made it so that she'd be silenced when the curtain was closed - probably because spells wouldn't work on the portrait itself so he had to cast it on the curtain :shrugs:

Edited by galadriel
fixing my emoji :P
  • Like 1

Recent Badges

grumpy cat

@galadriel that's a really good point about casting some spells on the curtain! (i admit, i haven't thought about it too much until this thread was posted :P )

• Like 1