Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Happy Pride month! <3
  • Congratulations to all of our house award winners!
  • The House Cup Finale is underway! Check out the Campaign Headquarters sub-forum for more information.
you-make-me-wander

Muggle Liaison Office

you-make-me-wander

Hey guys. I'm thinking about exploring (in a new story) one of my characters working for the Ministry, more specifically as a Muggle Relations officer (henceforth MRO).

Like so, I thought I'd create a topic for us to discuss our thoughts on the Muggle Liaison Office, and what it is that their officers do! What are your thoughts/ideas? :icecream:

Since Ministry workers must comply with the Statute of Secrecy (which in modern times must be more and more difficult) I'm willing to accept canon plus a few other things, such as:

• MROs not only liaise with their Muggle counterparts, but also with all other Departments of the Ministry of Magic in case of a calamity, and as necessary. That implies plenty of field work, odd hours, and reporting to a lot of Department Heads different than their own, which might not be so easy

• Although there's a specific Obliviator Division for this Department, maybe it's required for at least some MROs to also know Legilimency as well (given that it would perhaps be safest to first read a Muggle's mind to find out what they know instead of head-on use magic on them?)

• There is likely a Protocol to tell a Muggle about the magical world (under specific circumstances, like marrying a wizard/witch, to aid a Ministry's investigation or for parents of muggleborn children who experience magic for the first time), and that that Protocol is either carried by a MRO or supervised/checked on by them

• There is a record of all muggles in the know, so that the Ministry can control the compliance to the Statute of Secrecy. I'm thinking the muggles that learn about the magical world have to visit the Ministry at some point, and after all parts make sure that the Protocol was followed and it's intended for those muggles to stay in the know, they'll have to sign said book of records, and either special ink or a specific spell binds the muggle to a magical NDA of sorts (that could work like a Trace, in case the agreement was broken)

• On a side note, can you imagine working for the Muggle-Worthy Excuse Committee? I'm pretty sure a few jokesters have come up with some pretty ridiculous excuses over the years for magical-induced crisis, and you can't tell me otherwise

• Even though in canon it seems to only be needed and O.W.L. in Muggle Studies for a position as a MRO, I'm assuming following with it to N.E.W.T. level must be required for higher ranking positions. Also, given the delicate nature of their job, they will likely have training in Psychology, Diplomacy and Foreign Governments as well, and be evaluated from time to time on their experiences and people skills to better the Protocol. Being as Muggle fanatic as possible is probably mandatory, otherwise some conversations with Muggles would be weird, and MROs are likely required to often use Muggle transportation and eletronic equipments, as well as abide to their dress code

• Last but not least, how cool would it be to have a team ready to deal specifically with reveals gone wrong? Perhaps to deal with someone who is freaking out about their SO being a wizard/witch, or maybe for parents that are going crazy about an infant who keeps moving the furniture or making the cat fly? There could be some kind of particular hotline for this, and I'm sure those MROs would have the craziest stories to tell lol

Let me know what you think about the Muggle Liaison Office and tasks that they might partake in. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this :mcgonagall:

• Like 2

Recent Badges

just.a.willow.tree

all your ideas sound super thorough and excellent already, and I don’t have much more to add 😂

however: what if they hire an actual, in-the-know, qualified Muggle for the job? that would be really entertaining I think—especially seeing how the Muggle chooses to deal with more ethically-grey situations like wiping the memories of innocent Muggles, yk? 🤔

• Like 1

you-make-me-wander

@just.a.willow.tree Oh that's a great idea, I hadn't thought about that! I can just imagine the selection process for that position xD though really, I think it's great. No matter how much they have learned about Muggles, most wizards and witches will still not have been brought up in the Muggle world, for the most part, so they are bound to struggle every now and then. Having an inside scoop could definitely be helpful :) 

Recent Badges