Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out this month's House Cup Activity!
  • Where can you find Dumbledore’s Army?
  • Up his sleevy.
dreamshadow

The Almost Kiss Challenge | 7 October 2019

dreamshadow
Posted (edited)

💋 The Almost Kiss Challenge 💋

challenge deadline: October 7th, 2019
accepted fandoms: Harry Potter, The 100, The Raven Cycle, Simonverse, Original Fiction
accepted ratings: all
challenge details: write a story about two characters who almost kiss. First kisses are great, but there’s something irresistible about the kiss that doesn’t happen. The readers want it, the characters want it, but something tears them apart. Whether it’s someone walking in on them, the weather, a phone call, a colossal emergency -- the choice is truly yours, as long as their lips don’t touch. It can turn into a kiss on the cheek, a kiss on the forehead, or painfully walking away; whatever fits. The almost kiss is the perfect way to ramp up that sexual tension and could either propel your story further into a romantic plotline or push it further away. It’s one of my favorite plot devices, so let’s flood the archive with some well-meaning, possibly accidental almost kisses! 

If you need some inspiration, I’ve got a list of pairings to choose from.  You can pick a number between 1-40, ask for a random number, or pick your own pair.  The list is strictly in the HP fandom across some generations, but I’m open to other fandoms or original fiction; see the accepted fandoms list above! 

If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or send me a PM if you’ve got something more specific. Mostly, have fun! 

rules:

1. All stories must be posted on the HPFT archives
  2. Must comply with site’s ToS
  3. No pre-written entries
  4. New content for current stories is allowed
  5. Can be combined with other challenges
  6. Multiple entries are allowed
  7. You can write the same pairing as someone else, and switch your numbers up to three times
  8. Must have “for dreamshadows’ ‘Almost Kiss Challenge’” somewhere in the summary or story notes

judging: for this challenge, I’ll be looking at not just the build-up to the kiss, but the effects it has on the characters. I’ll also be taking into account writing style, characterization, creativity, and the overall emotion behind the piece.

prizes:
all entries will receive a review from me

third place: 1 reviews on stories of your choice, prize graphic 
second place: 3 reviews on stories of your choice, prize graphic
first place: 5 reviews on stories of your choice, prize graphic, picspam (on any of your stories)

Edited by dreamshadow
  • Like 3

FlamingQuilltips

I've been working on something off late that might just fit this bill but I'm also coming out of a 3-yr-long hiatus, so trying to challenge myself. I'd like to see any pair from the pre-Trio era if you please!

• Like 3

CheekyTorah-Lex

I'm all over this

• Like 1

belgian quaffle

omg yes

(call me a maybe just due to time constraints but i really want to throw something together for this, i love almost kisses)

• Like 1

Tanda

I may try my first Drarry challenge. My memory when I encountered the ship for the first time at old hpff so vivid. Maybe... I have no confidence at all.

• Like 1

dreamshadow
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, FlamingQuilltips said:

I've been working on something off late that might just fit this bill but I'm also coming out of a 3-yr-long hiatus, so trying to challenge myself. I'd like to see any pair from the pre-Trio era if you please!

YSH!! Absolutely! ❤️ How about Marauders Era, pairing #13: Lily/Remus? Let me know if it works or if you want to switch! 

18 hours ago, Lacey Black said:

I'm all over this

Awesome!

17 hours ago, belgian quaffle said:

omg yes

(call me a maybe just due to time constraints but i really want to throw something together for this, i love almost kisses)

Me too! And sounds good - I'm gonna just make a giant list of participants to make life easy but I hope you can throw something together! 😊

6 hours ago, Tanda said:

I may try my first Drarry challenge. My memory when I encountered the ship for the first time at old hpff so vivid. Maybe... I have no confidence at all.

I'd say go for it -- follow your muse! 

Participants:

Spoiler
  • FlamingQuilltips
  • Lacey Black
  • belgian quaffle
  • Tanda

Edited by dreamshadow
  • Like 1

ReillyJade

might have an idea for this... can I jump in as a maybe? 💙☺️

• Like 1

dreamshadow
1 hour ago, ReillyJade said:

might have an idea for this... can I jump in as a maybe? 💙☺️

Definitely! 

Participants: 

Spoiler
  • FlamingQuilltips
  • Lacey Black
  • belgian quaffle
  • Tanda
  • ReillyJade

dreamshadow
On 9/3/2019 at 7:28 PM, CheekyTorah-Lex said:

Here is my entry (it’s in the queue but once approved the link will work

Skating Lessons

Can't wait to read it! Thanks :)

Participants:

Spoiler

FlamingQuilltips
Lacey Black
belgian quaffle
Tanda
ReillyJade

Entries:
Skating Lessons by CheekyTorah-Lex

Edited by dreamshadow
  • Like 1

toomanycurls

I'm a maybe for the ship no one asked for: 

Umbridge/Fudge

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Shadowkat678

I'll be a maybe with Parvati/Lavender.

• Like 1

dreamshadow
On 9/12/2019 at 5:52 PM, toomanycurls said:

I'm a maybe for the ship no one asked for: 

Umbridge/Fudge

I'm equal parts intrigued and mildly scared, Rose 👀 

On 9/14/2019 at 10:15 AM, Shadowkat678 said:

I'll be a maybe with Parvati/Lavender.

Sounds good! Can't wait to see what you come up with :)

Participants: 

Spoiler

FlamingQuilltips
Lacey Black
belgian quaffle
Tanda
ReillyJade
toomanycurls
Shadowkat678

Entries:
Skating Lessons by CheekyTorah-Lex

Edited by dreamshadow

Unwritten Curse

I can’t resist. Count me as a maybe with the Dramione I’ve been plotting for ages now. 

dreamshadow
On 9/21/2019 at 11:29 AM, Unwritten Curse said:

I can’t resist. Count me as a maybe with the Dramione I’ve been plotting for ages now. 

Sounds good, Gina!

Participants:

Spoiler
  • FlamingQuilltips
  • Lacey Black
  • belgian quaffle
  • Tanda
  • ReillyJade
  • toomanycurls
  • Shadowkat678
  • Unwritten Curse

Entries:

CheekyTorah-Lex

So I have a question: 

can the almost kiss stories have an eventual kiss? Obviously has the almost kiss portion but also has an eventual kiss?

K so if so here is a second Entry - Beautiful Days

Edited by CheekyTorah-Lex

Rhaenyra

Since you said new content was allowed, this chapter was posted in the last couple weeks, so a month after the challenge started. Is that alright?

If so it's chapter 15 of my fake dating story but it is pretty self-contained.  It's the FMC's sister's wedding and she and the MMC are at the wedding reception in the chapter. https://hpfanfictalk.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2944&chapter=15 (M)

dreamshadow
7 hours ago, CheekyTorah-Lex said:

So I have a question: 

can the almost kiss stories have an eventual kiss? Obviously has the almost kiss portion but also has an eventual kiss?

K so if so here is a second Entry - Beautiful Days

Because of the nature of this challenge, I'd prefer if the story left it as an almost kiss. I'm more curious to see how you convey the sexual tension and chemistry between the romantic leads. 

I do love that sequence, so I'll be happy to check out the entry -- I just won't be counting it toward the challenge, unfortunately. 

5 hours ago, Rhaenyra said:

Since you said new content was allowed, this chapter was posted in the last couple weeks, so a month after the challenge started. Is that alright?

If so it's chapter 15 of my fake dating story but it is pretty self-contained.  It's the FMC's sister's wedding and she and the MMC are at the wedding reception in the chapter. https://hpfanfictalk.com/archive/viewstory.php?sid=2944&chapter=15 (M)

As long as it was posted after the challenge started and is fairly self-contained, I'll be happy to count it! 

Here's a reminder that there's roughly one week left to get your entries in by the deadline. If you need an extension, feel free to message me and we can try to work something out!

Participants:

Spoiler
  • FlamingQuilltips
  • Lacey Black
  • belgian quaffle
  • Tanda
  • ReillyJade
  • toomanycurls
  • Shadowkat678
  • Unwritten Curse
  • Rhaenyra

Entries:
Fake It Til You Make It (Chapter 15) by Rhaenyra

Edited by dreamshadow

CheekyTorah-Lex
32 minutes ago, dreamshadow said:

Because of the nature of this challenge, I'd prefer if the story left it as an almost kiss. I'm more curious to see how you convey the sexual tension and chemistry between the romantic leads. 

I do love that sequence, so I'll be happy to check out the entry -- I just won't be counting it toward the challenge, unfortunately. 

I’ll just rewrite a part before the deadline so it qualifies :)

dreamshadow
Posted (edited)
On 9/30/2019 at 6:06 PM, CheekyTorah-Lex said:

I’ll just rewrite a part before the deadline so it qualifies :)

Sounds good! 

Participants:

Spoiler
  • FlamingQuilltips
  • Lacey Black
  • belgian quaffle
  • Tanda
  • ReillyJade
  • toomanycurls
  • Shadowkat678
  • Unwritten Curse
  • Rhaenyra

Entries:
Fake It Til You Make It (Chapter 15) by Rhaenyra

Edited by dreamshadow

Shadowkat678

I won't be able to make the deadline. I'm going to have to pull out of this challenge.

dreamshadow

@Shadowkat678 That's okay! Thank you for letting me know ❤️ 

Participants:

Spoiler
  • FlamingQuilltips
  • Lacey Black
  • belgian quaffle
  • Tanda
  • ReillyJade
  • toomanycurls
  • Unwritten Curse
  • Rhaenyra

Entries:
Fake It Til You Make It (Chapter 15) by Rhaenyra

CheekyTorah-Lex
Posted (edited)

So I had a set back but I did it! I managed an ending revision and now Beautiful Days is back in the queue and qualifies for your challenge :)

Edited by CheekyTorah-Lex