Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out this month's House Cup activity!
  • Where can you find Dumbledore’s Army?
  • Up his sleevy.
Sign in to follow this  
just.a.willow.tree

Hair Types

just.a.willow.tree

Hi so I hope this is not a weird question to be asking my fellow HPFTers, but I’ve spent some of today wondering what types/colors of hair you guys have. 😅 (I’m helping with new student registration and it has been very slow, so I was somewhat bored haha. I will also not be very surprised if no one responds to this topic. 😋

So I have black hair, and it’s pretty long and straight. I like it, generally. But it gets oily so easily—there are people I know who can not wash their hair for days without their hair looking any worse than before. And meanwhile, a minute over 24 hours will result in my head looking like, well, Snape’s.

So what about you guys? Also if anyone has tips for combating greasy hair I’m more than happy to hear them. 😂

belgian quaffle
5 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

So I have black hair, and it’s pretty long and straight. I like it, generally. But it gets oily so easily—there are people I know who can not wash their hair for days without their hair looking any worse than before. And meanwhile, a minute over 24 hours will result in my head looking like, well, Snape’s.

First of all, I am HERE for this topic because i think it's going to be fun as hell to share tips on this.

Anyway, I too have hair that's pretty long and straight and I too like it generally. I mean, if I sleep on it wet, it'll get like one wave, but yes, for the most part, it's pretty straight, and I agree- it gets SO OILY very quickly. I am not one of those people who can go for days without washing their hair and a discussion with my curly haired co-worker has me believing it's because it's so straight. with curls, there's a lot of volume and definition to hide the grease. with straight hair, we've got nothing.

right now i can go 2-2.5 days before it gets real bad. i use a lot of dry shampoo. like seriously, dry shampoo is my best friend. i keep a bottle in my gym bag. i keep a bottle at home. i bring a bottle to work sometimes. i'm trying to be better about not washing my hair unless i really need to because i know that it's not good to wash it really often and it will just perpetuate the cycle of making it more oily, but it's a struggle. 

• Like 1

grumpy cat
Posted (edited)

i, uh, have long, thick, dark brown hair, which is most often straight but if i sleep with it in a bun or something, it'll be wavy. but tbh, it's more of a mane than hair. it doesn't get greasy quickly and depending on conditions, i could theoretically go for 4 days without washing it but that would gross me out so i wash it every 2-3 days. i've never used dry shampoo :o i did see it used but not on dark hair so idk how that would look (the one my friend uses is light-ish...but since i don't use it idk if there are dark-ish versions)

i like my hair except when it tries to kill me in my sleep. which is often.

Edited by grumpy cat
  • Like 1

something wicked

omg this topic 😍

13 minutes ago, grumpy cat said:

but tbh, it's more of a mane than hair.

this ^

My hair is naturally REALLY curly, not that anyone who has seen me in the last ten years would know that because it's always straightened or re-curled in a way that looks better 🙃 

Naturally, it's pretty dark brown (though I went through the awkward start off blonde then watch as your hair goes gingery and keeps getting darker as you get older thing) but it's been bleached pretty regularly for the last few years. At the moment I'm blondish-pink. Because of that it's super dry and tbh I spend most of my time trying to put oils into my hair and not wash them out. I've got every hair mask, de-frizzer, will-magically-fix-your-bleached-hair remedy under the sun. I can go about four days without needing to wash it but, like Kris said, that's gross. Generally it's every two days.

• Like 1

down-in-flames

this is fun timing because i literally just finished touching up my roots. (sometimes i'll go to a salon and get it done professionally, but i can also do it myself and have it look basically the same for like... $150 less) i'm a dark blonde naturally, but i dye my hair almost white-blonde on the regular; i'm also big into experimenting with color so i had rose gold ombré for half the summer and am thinking about trying something reddish in the fall. my natural hair texture is halfway between wavy and straight - depending on the day or how it dries it may be more one or the other.

i am also the outlier here - because of said regular-bleaching-of-hair, i usually go like 5 days at minimum between washes. :ninjavanish: i do work out pretty much daily though, so a lot of times i'll rinse it or just use conditioner on the in-between days (also, cloth headbands save lives here, they absorb a lot of the sweat on your hairline before it can, ya know, sink into your hair). but if i shampoo it too often it revolts by getting suuuuuuuper oily right after i wash it, which is apparently something related to stripping too many of the natural oils away.

like sarah, dry shampoo is a good friend of mine, and you can also typically tell how many days it's been since a wash by how much of my hair is pulled up. fully down = 0-2 days post-wash; half up = 3-4 days post-wash; in a bun = 5+ days post-wash. :P i am also a major snob when it comes to hair products, because my hair reacts really negatively to cheap stuff. basically everything in my haircare repertoire is from ouai, with the exception of my olaplex no.3 (a LIFESAVER for bleached hair) and a purple shampoo i get from my salon (also a lifesaver for bleached hair).

• Like 2

just.a.willow.tree

Can someone explain the concept of dry shampoo to me? Like, how does it work? :P It sounds so strange but I’ve heard many people swear by it haha.

Lost_Robin

You spray it on your hair (concentrating on your roots, but going over all of it) and brush it in. It's really weird, but surprisingly good for like a day or so. I only recently started using it. The can is kind of like hairspray, but it feels, for lack of a better word, powdery when you spray it, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

Dojh167

I have fairly curly hair, and I don’t generally do much with it but pull it back when it’s long enough to do so. It doesn’t get too greasy, but can be a frizzy mess. I remedy this by not caring.

My goal is the spinster in the woods aesthetic.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

just.a.willow.tree
2 hours ago, Dojh167 said:

It doesn’t get too greasy, but can be a frizzy mess. I remedy this by not caring.

I love you omg, you are my icon.

@Lost_Robin And you don’t wash it out?? 😮 What happens to the stuff that the shampoo is trying to clean? (I’m so far behind on the newest hair things honestly.)

Lost_Robin

You wash it out when the next time you wash your hair. I think what it does is soak up the oil, so it doesn't necessarily clean hair, but it makes it less greasy. It has a slightly white tint, but that goes away when you brush it in. I think it's mainly to soak up grease if you're between showers or something like that.

...And now I'm picturing some student giving Snape a can of dry shampoo.

• Haha 2

crowsb4bros

I have fine, wavy oily hair. It's a blast! 😛 I wash it every morning because I can't style it at all if I wash it the night before and it's greasy by the time I wake. I'm naturally dark blonde but I'll highlight it every now and then so I do purple conditioning weekly. I do stick to the old rule of actively shampooing only your roots and conditioning the ends which has made a big difference in my frizz to grease ratio. 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

Veritaserum27

I have dark, dark, dark (almost but not quite) black hair.  It is suuuuuper dry and either curly or frizzy, depending on how much time and effort I put into it.  Generally, I have to wash it at night because it holds soooooo much water that it would either take me 40-ish minutes to dry with a hair dryer and I have to be at work before 7:30 am.  So I wash it the night before and let it air dry.

• Like 1

Noelle Zingarella
On 8/17/2019 at 7:29 PM, Dojh167 said:

I have fairly curly hair, and I don’t generally do much with it but pull it back when it’s long enough to do so. It doesn’t get too greasy, but can be a frizzy mess. I remedy this by not caring.

You are my hero.

On 8/17/2019 at 9:56 PM, Lost_Robin said:

...And now I'm picturing some student giving Snape a can of dry shampoo.

Ummm...This is an excellent idea for a story.

My hair needs some help. It is long, brown, and pretty damaged. I can go 3-4 days without washing it, but it seriously needs a trim and probably a new care routine. I like having it long, but definitely seems thinner than it did when I was younger, which I don't care for. 

MuggleMaybe

My hair used to be red (when I was a child) but turned brown as I got older.  It is very thick, wavy, and frizzy as all get out. I am literally Hermione in the hair department *cries*

I honestly don't do much with my hair because I never find anything that really makes it look decent, and straightening it takes FOREVER. Okay, not really, but it takes, like 2 hours. I ain't got the time :P I should probably try harder though

TidalDragon

Well...as most everyone knows, I have brown hair. The color is...basically like a handful of dirt you could scoop off the ground. Like really brown sand. And it's already starting to gray because my family and stress level over the last decade or so are just cool like that. It's pretty thick, but thinner than it used to be.

Because I feel obligated to actually contribute something to this thread, people with dry scalp: y'all should trade Head and Shoulders for something with tea tree oil (and actually leave it in as long as it says before washing it out). Also, because my mom (yes, still) continues to critique my Great Clips/Sport Clips/Supercuts quality haircuts, I may one day go rogue and make good on my threats to get a high fade. Those of you who've watched Fic Night, just imagine that. 🤣

• Like 2

Ineke

I have brown hair which... can be straight as hell when i blowdry is (which... is very rarely), but can also have a bit of a wave to it or a bigger wave if i sleep on it wet (but it also depends on how wet it was before i go to sleep so eh). It can take  2-3 hours to dry on its own though (unless the weather is hot out but then like natural blowdry etc).

It does get oily VERY quickly - to the point that when i was at the hairdresser or barber or however the hell you call it went 'i just washed it thoroughly and its already getting greasy what the heck? this is insane' but even their stuff ain't doing anything and i tried different kinds of dry shampoo (bc my colleague swears by it and never has to wash her hair bc of it oh good god the dream bc unclogging showerdrains is the worst) and it does nothing aside from making my hair smell fab :'D I _really_ need to wash it every two-3 days (though if i am dead on my feet i will go longer it just looks horrid) bc its like snape-hair otherwise and just 😧 It's a nightmare honestly

just.a.willow.tree

I have a question about hair!

Recently, I’ve been really interested in growing my hair out really long (like Rapunzel, but like of a manageable length :P). I’ve been Googling around and the sites all generally say the same things—use conditioner every day but only shampoo three times a week, brush your hair starting from the ends, and trim it every couple months, and do a bunch of things to ensure your hair doesn’t get pulled out needlessly.

I’m just wondering if anyone here has had firsthand experience with trying to grow hair? I would trust this information more if I knew that it worked for someone else on HPFT haha.

Thing is, my hair is already long-ish, like it almost reaches my elbows, and this is where it usually naturally stops growing. (Though I haven’t done like anything Google has suggested in the past half year.) So I’m trying to get it to grow longer. Which it may stubbornly refuse to do.

Anyway if anyone has any answers I would be eternally grateful! 💛💛💛

Sign in to follow this