News Ticker

The Knockout Challenge - Round 2 | Deadline: 30 April 2020

TidalDragon

Howdy friends! While some among you may have experienced it before, the Knockout Challenge (or "TKO" for short) is a bracket-style writing challenge where you will be randomly paired with another participant as an opponent in each round. While everyone works on the same prompt during each round, "winning" is advancing in the bracket by topping your one-on-one opponent. Because TKO is a bracket-style competitionit's important that entrants commit to the process as a whole. Who likes forfeits?

My goal is to have between eight and sixteen participants so that we can stretch deadlines through each round, but still have a good number of rounds to experience, with each round featuring a different prompt. A sixteen person bracket looks like the below:

16-team-seeded-bracket-1024x733.png

So what is the prompt for the first round?

Dysfunctional Relationships

We've all seen them. Maybe experienced them. A one-sided friendship, frayed (or broken) family ties, a toxic romance. That's what your stories should focus on this round. If you're ready to commit to a few rounds of fun, follow the rules below and let's kick this thing off.

SIGN-UP DEADLINE: Committed or backed out by 30 September 2019

STORY DEADLINE: In the queue by 30 November 2019 

Rules

1. Accepted Fandoms: Harry Potter, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica (the 2004 forward version), Once Upon a Time, The Office, Parks and Recreation, JAG; if it's not here, PM me anyway and I'll let you know. OF also accepted.

2. Length: 10,000 words maximum - doesn't matter if it's a one-shot or multi-chapter - that's the limit.

3. No multiple entries. Hit me with your best shot.

4. Multi-challenge entries accepted.

5. No collabs.

6. No pre-written work. New chapters to existing works will be accepted, but they should show the dysfunctional relationship without requiring prior reading of the story.

7. Must be posted on the HPFT Archive. All ratings accepted.

8. Must include "Written for TidalDragon's Knock Challenge 2019-20" in the summary.

Prizes

1. Those advancing to the next round will receive five reviews on stories of their choosing

2. Those participating in Round 1 will receive two reviews on stories of their choosing

3. Expect prizes to escalate as rounds progress.

Hope to see as many faces as possible join in the fun! Pairings will be posted on 30 September 2019!

Edited by MuggleMaybe
  • Like 1

Why not, I'll try this out! :) 

ok ok ok i probably should not do this but... I cannot resist :P 

In!

I really shouldn’t, I’m terrible at committing to challenges but this one is too good to miss! 😅 

oh no, i have the perfect idea for this challenge that i've been meaning to write since 2014 but never have.......... i guess it's Time

@pookha That's correct. Once I know for sure who's in, who's out, and how many people we've got I can adjust accordingly.

OMG, this might just be the thing to bring me out of my unintentional retirement from writing...I was so excited to participate in 2016, but well, we all know what happened then!!

I'm in :)

Just submitted something to the queue so I'm in.

I have an idea but not sure if I really like it, but it's tickling my toes. . . . This is such a potentially long term writing relationship. Can I really handle such commitment??? Well, um, not sure, but, okay. . . . 

I'm in. (Okay, muse, don't break my heart over this one.)

Awesome everyone! Joining is not closed until 30 September at 11:59 PM wherever you live.