News Ticker

The Prefects' Celebration of HPFT Challenge | 15 December 2019

belgian quaffle

Challenge Name: The Prefects' Celebration of HPFT Challenge

Deadline: 15 December 2019

Description: 

With some big holidays coming up in the real world, we thought we'd take the chance the celebrate something important to all of us...HPFT! Your challenge is to write a fic based off one of the amazing events thrown by our staffers since the site began. Perhaps you'd like to write a case study based off Cluedo? Or maybe a thrilling adventure fic based on Capture the Flag? Newspaper clippings from the 2018-19 Finale? Pundoubtedly, you'll be able to come up with something as awesome as the events themselves! 

Not around for any (or some) of our HPFT events but still want to celebrate its' amazingness? Not to worry! Below are a list of past events with a description for anyone to jump in with an event of their choice. Or, feel free to chose from our alternative prompt!

Event Prompts:

• Finale 2017: members overcame obstacles and could search Hogsmeade and Hogwarts for clues in order to complete OWL and NEWT exams
  • Capture the Flag: members placed a "flag" in a story from their house and reviewed stories from other houses in order to find the flag; reviews would land them in jail, find them the flag author/story, or locate the flag
  • MAGIC: members completed tasks with their housemates to call MAGIC (bingo)
  • Cluedo!: houses searched for points in order to make guesses about which staffer killed the murder victim with what weapon in which room?
  • Fic Feud: with a partner, members wrote a story with 4 elements chosen across three different categories (and were assigned a sabotage from another team)
  • Finale 2018: houses created a newspaper based on different eras of the wizarding world, wrote articles, and sought endorsements from staffers
  • The Hogwarts Express: members returned to Hogwarts by answering trivia questions, playing hangman, matching facts about Prefects, and performing inter-house camaraderie tasks
  • Halloween Maze: members participated in a "Choose Your Own Adventure" task to escape a maze and then participated in associated tasks discovered in the maze
  • Magical Menagerie: houses teamed up to write reviews to capture magical creatures and create their own menageries
  • The Great Collab: houses teamed up to write fics on three different topics over a 6 month period (new beginnings, back from the brink, take me home)
  • Finale 2019: houses worked to create a campaign for a new minister of magic
  • Experimentalists Unite: members put on their scientific hats to write reports for the archive, network with other scientists on site, and match samples from the Prefects
  • Escape from the Department of Mysteries: members worked with their house to perform tasks to escape from three rooms in the Department of Mysteries, ultimately creating a map and writing piece to tell the tale of their escape

Check out +the event archive for more details about most of the events listed above. Event prompts are not limited to the events listed above, though it can be used to guide you in choosing a prompt. If you have questions about another event you'd like to write about, feel free to post in this thread or ask any of the prefects!

Additional Prompt:

• Write a fic based on a pun! You can pick a pun of your own or ask us for one and we'll provide you with one! 

Challenge Rules:

• Accepted Fandoms: Harry Potter and Original Fiction
  • Acceptable Ratings: A-M
  • All entries must be under 3000 words
  • All entries must comply with Archive rules and TOS
  • Please include "For the Prefects' Celebration of HPFT Challenge" somewhere in the title summary
  • Please include which prompt/event you've chosen somewhere in the story or chapter summary
  • Example: "written for the Prefects' Celebration of HPFT Challenge, prompt: Magical Menagerie"

Prizes:

Each entry will receive a review from one of the Prefects.

Third Place: Award Graphic, one additional review on the story of your choice, WJ questions

Second Place: Award Graphic, two additional reviews on a story/stories of your choice, WJ questions

First Place: Award Graphic, three additional reviews on a story/stories of your choice, a picspam related to your entry, feature in the Prefects' In the Spotlight blog (including a review column piece for your entry and an interview with the author).

Happy Writing! The possibilities are punlimited for what you can create and we're looking forward to your entries!

-The Prefects

• Like 6

Oh this sounds fun! I would like to be a maybe! ❤️

Just one clarifying question, all of the events in the Event Archive are eligible for writing, right? So it doesn't have to be a major, points-winning event?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

Oh this sounds fun! I would like to be a maybe! ❤️

Just one clarifying question, all of the events in the Event Archive are eligible for writing, right? So it doesn't have to be a major, points-winning event?

yes! all the events in the Event Archive are eligible for writing (and if you remember anything else that isn't there, that's eligible too)! the list is just a summary of some of the events that could be written about!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Noelle Zingarella said:

I'll try. May I have a pun to get me started?

Have three! :) 

If you’ve been thinking about singing karaoke with a friend, just duet.
Why are teddy bears never hungry? They’re always stuffed?
I wanted to be an astronaut but my parents told me the sky is the limit.

• Haha 2

hmm not that i don't have plenty already to get done in the next month, but i'm thinking maybe a fic based on making a newspaper during war time? i'd love to be assigned a pun please ❤️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, facingthenorthwind said:

hmm not that i don't have plenty already to get done in the next month, but i'm thinking maybe a fic based on making a newspaper during war time? i'd love to be assigned a pun please ❤️

Yes you may! Here's a couple:

• Velcro! What a ripoff
  • No matter how hard you push the envelope, it will still be stationary
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, northbound24 said:

Can I request a pun?

It'll be fun to do a story around one.

Sure thing! Let me know if this one doesn't work for you :) 

Knowing how to pick locks has really opened a lot of doors for me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, MadiMalfoy said:

Sure thing! Let me know if this one doesn't work for you :) 

Knowing how to pick locks has really opened a lot of doors for me. 

That is perfect Madi, really it is

Could I do a story based on the Archives instead of a forum event? (It would be the entire Archives, not a specific story. I have a bizarre unusual  creative idea.)

Can I have a pun, please? ^_^

4 hours ago, potionspartner said:

Could I do a story based on the Archives instead of a forum event? (It would be the entire Archives, not a specific story. I have a bizarre unusual  creative idea.)

Sure, that sounds super interesting! 

11 minutes ago, abhorsen. said:

Can I have a pun, please? ^_^

Of course! :) 

6:30 is the best time on a clock, hands down

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in! Have an idea I've been fleshing out and it fits perfectly with the pun prompt. :)

• Like 2

On 11/24/2019 at 6:57 AM, potionspartner said:

I'm in, too.

Nevermind. I'm out.

Hi lovely prefects! Could I potentially see a pun prompt that I might include? 😊💛

• Like 1

Can I write a piece about an event I staffed on?

Edited by TreacleTart

7 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

Hi lovely prefects! Could I potentially see a pun prompt that I might include? 😊💛

eva!! your pun is "every morning i think i'm going to make pancackes but i keep waffling."

let us know if it doesnt work for you! excited to see what you come up with!

7 hours ago, TreacleTart said:

Can I write a piece about an event I staffed on?

absolutely! looking forward to see what you come up with!

• Like 2

I'm so sorry to ask, but could I potentially get an extension? The next couple weeks are finals week for me, and I'm going to struggle with completing the story in time, I think. If not, though, no worries! ❤️

6 minutes ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

I'm so sorry to ask, but could I potentially get an extension? The next couple weeks are finals week for me, and I'm going to struggle with completing the story in time, I think. If not, though, no worries! ❤️

you're totally okay to get an extension! Most of us will be busy during the holiday season anyway, so just let us know how much time you think you'll need :) 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, MadiMalfoy said:

you're totally okay to get an extension! Most of us will be busy during the holiday season anyway, so just let us know how much time you think you'll need :) 

ahh thank you so much! would a week be okay?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

ahh thank you so much! would a week be okay?

A week is perfectly okay :) 

• Thanks 1