News Ticker

The New Year, New You Challenge | Feb. 12th, 2020

RoxiMalfoy

🎼🎆  The New Year, New You Challenge 🎆🎼
golden-new-year-music-t.gif?w=301&h=301

THE CHALLENGE:

The year 2020 is right around the corner, and with it marks the start of a new decade! So, in order to commemorate this event, @MrsDarcy and I have joined together to host a New Year’s Challenge - but with a twist… No New Year's Eve is complete without music, especially those cheesy tunes that keep playing on constant replay. You know; the ones that make your head ache the morning after (although this might be from more than the music). 😋 So, naturally, every entry for this challenge should incorporate hit music from the past decade. 🎶

The goal of the challenge is simple: Write about a character (or group or characters) trying something new for the very first time! 

Your story doesn't have to be centered around New Year's, but you're free to write about the Holiday if you feel inspired to do so. You may also choose your own character(s) and place them in whatever type of "new" scenario(s) or situation that you wish. 

So then, what's the catch, you may be asking? 🤔

In order to participate, simply post below stating that you are in, then one of us will roll 2 numbers for you via +THIS [M just in case] online number generator. You can also choose to pick 2 numbers of your own, ranging anywhere from 1 to 100, but the generator will make things much more fun (if you dare)! 😉 The first number rolled will give you a hit song from the year 2009, and the second number you get will give you a song from 2019's current top charts.

If you're feeling as though you need an additional challenge, and wish to try and score some bonus points, we can roll you a THIRD number. This additional number will give you an assigned character to include as the MC in your fic, along with the two songs. Bonus characters can't be changed, however, that's why they are optional/for bonus points. You can either accept the challenge or decide against it once the character has been revealed. The choice is yours. 👍

*All entries will be judged on the following criteria:

• Whether the story is focused around the main character(s) doing/trying something new for the very first time - 25%.
  • Inclusion of a line (or lines) of lyrics from both of the assigned songs from the beginning and ending of the decade - 25%.
  • Overall creativity. (This can be demonstrated in the ways in which the songs are incorporated, or could also be represented in the ideas behind the “Something New” that your characters are trying for the first time as well.) - 20%.
  • Quality of the work that is submitted - 15%.
  • Spelling/Grammar - 15%.
  • BONUS (Optional): Use of randomly assigned character as the MC = +10 Points

THE RULES:

• All stories must be in the archive queue by the end of the Challenge deadline. (Please post in this thread or PM one of us to let us know if your entry is going to be late!)
  • Must include "For RoxiMalfoy and MrsDarcy's New Year, New You Challenge” somewhere in the story summary. 
  • All entries must be posted to the HPFT Archives and follow the site guidelines/TOS. 
  • For this challenge, we will be accepting one-shots or short stories that do not exceed a Maximum word count of 5,000 Words. You are always free to expand on your stories, but anything past the 5k maximum will not be considered in the judging for this Challenge.
  • All ratings/genres/eras/themes are ok and we will accept HP fandom/original fic. If you would like to include another fandom, PM us first to make sure that both judges are familiar with the fandom, and we will be open to discussing it.
  • No pre-written stories will be accepted, however, you may write a spin-off of one of your existing HP works, or add to a current series/universe if you would like.
  • You may combine your entry with another member-issued writing challenge, so long as the rules of the other challenge(s) are compatible with the rules of this challenge, and the other host agrees.
  • We will only be accepting one entry per person, please.
  • Due to availability, you can request to have your Songs changed up to three times if needed, but upon the 3rd song that is given, your selection will be locked.

THE PRIZES:

What Challenge would be complete without prizes?!? Every entry submitted for this challenge will get a review from either myself or Beth. However, the authors of the top 3 submissions will receive additional reviews/prizes. Those awards are as follows: 

• 3rd Place: 
    • x1 Prize Graphic
    • A picspam for any story of your choice
    • Special mention/link in both of our Signatures for 1 month

• 2nd Place: 
    • x1 Prize Graphic
    • Winner’s Choice of either x1 Review on a fic of your pick -OR- a set of 6-10 Writer’s Journal Questions. 

• 1st Place: 
    • x1 Prize Graphic
    • x1 Review for a fic of your pick
    • Winner’s Choice of either a Podfic recording by RoxiMalfoy -OR- a Graphic (banner/SigSet/header/etc) of your choice by MrsDarcy. 

happy-new-year-colorful-fireworks-over-c

• Like 2

I'm gonna be bold and say roll me 3 numbers please. and I'll be a very tentative maybe

• Like 1

Question: If we ask for 3 numbers and end up being unable to write it using the given MC for the 3rd number, can we still complete the challenge using just the songs given? And obviously just lose out on bonus points.

23 minutes ago, RonsGirlFriday said:

Question: If we ask for 3 numbers and end up being unable to write it using the given MC for the 3rd number, can we still complete the challenge using just the songs given? And obviously just lose out on bonus points.

Yes, you can def turn down the extra challenge! 

it could get difficult, but, I admit, I'm slightly hoping for a voldemort-fic that incorporates 'Love Song' by Taylor Swift :P 

• Haha 2

Ok I’m a maybe, and of course I must take 3 numbers!

• Like 1

NOTE: I forgot to point out that you can also write the Bonus Characters in any time period of their lives that you wish. So, if a character lived in the Hogwarts Era and the Next-Gen period as well, (Harry Potter hisself, for example) it is the author's choice of what age to write him/her in for their story. You may also add in however many additional supporting characters to the fic that you wish. 👍

I'm gonna be bold and say roll me 3 numbers please. and I'll be a very tentative maybe

#53 - Song from 2009: Paparazzi, by Lady Gaga
#25 - Song from 2019: Everything I Wanted, by Billie Eilish
#31 - Bonus MC [Optional]: Cedric Diggory 

1 hour ago, Noelle Zingarella said:

Roll me 3 numbers please--and put me down as a maybe :)

#31 - Song from 2009: Run This Town, by Jay-Z, Rihanna, & Kanye West
#50 - Song from 2019: I Don't Care, by Ed Sheeran & Justin Bieber
#20 - Bonus MC [Optional]: Minerva McGonagal

1 hour ago, MrsDarcy said:

it could get difficult, but, I admit, I'm slightly hoping for a voldemort-fic that incorporates 'Love Song' by Taylor Swift :P 

OMG, yass!! This would be so epic, lolol!!! :roflol:

53 minutes ago, RonsGirlFriday said:

Ok I’m a maybe, and of course I must take 3 numbers!

#68 - Song from 2009: Fallin' For You, by Colbie Caillat
#41 - Song from 2019: Dancing With a Stranger, by Sam Smith & Normani
#67 - Bonus MC [Optional]: Scorpius Malfoy

Edited by RoxiMalfoy
Adding note for Bonus Characters
  • Like 1

@RoxiMalfoy I was ready for some fresh hell but all of these are...kinda perfect? I’m on pins and needles to see what @Noelle Zingarella does with hers. :P 

• Like 2

I'll see three numbers please.

• Like 2

@RonsGirlFriday, I'm glad you're happy with everything. I can't wait to see what you write! 

@Noelle Zingarella, OMG, same!! 😅 There are several songs that have been rolled already that I haven't heard yet either, lol!! Just let us know if you need a different song. (Those can be swapped up to 3 times, if need be.) 

24 minutes ago, Crimson Quill said:

I'll see three numbers please.

#4 - Song from 2009: I Gotta Feeling, by The Black Eyed Peas
#64 - Song from 2019: Baby Sitter, by DaBaby feat. Offset
#99 - Bonus MC [optional]: Viktor Krum 

50 minutes ago, LadyMarauder said:

Sounds fun - pop me down for 3 numbers please!

#77 - Song from 2009: Disturbia, by Rihanna
#8 - Song from 2019: Lose You to Love Me, by Selena Gomez
#52 - Bonus MC [optional]: Quirinus Quirrel

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MrsDarcy said:

#77 - Song from 2009: Disturbia, by Rihanna
#8 - Song from 2019: Lose You to Love Me, by Selena Gomez
#52 - Bonus MC [optional]: Quirinus Quirrel

This is hysterical! I don't know what I'll do with Quirrell, but the songs are :yay:

5 minutes ago, LadyMarauder said:

This is hysterical! I don't know what I'll do with Quirrell, but the songs are :yay:

haha, sry, the numbers have spoken!

Quirrell is pretty fun though :P 

• Like 1

Could I swap numbers please? 

18 minutes ago, Crimson Quill said:

Could I swap numbers please? 

Are you wanting to swap out BOTH of your songs, or just one of them? 

Attention:

We just want to restate that, while the MC is locked, it is OPTIONAL to include it. It won't affect the score and you can STILL win without the bonus points! 

We, however, realise some of the MC's are a bit tough, so we can offer to roll ONE extra number to swap the MC (without any promises of a satisfying result, since it's a random number)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Simplicius said:

Could I have three random numbers, please?

#17 - Song from 2009: I know You Want Me, by Pitbull 
#42 - Song from 2019: Graveyard, by Halsey
#25 - Bonus MC [optional]: Sirius Black

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MrsDarcy said:

Attention:

We just want to restate that, while the MC is locked, it is OPTIONAL to include it. It won't affect the score and you can STILL win without the bonus points! 

We, however, realise some of the MC's are a bit tough, so we can offer to roll ONE extra number to swap the MC (without any promises of a satisfying result, since it's a random number)

Ohh in that case can I try another character number then please?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LadyMarauder said:

Ohh in that case can I try another character number then please?

#70 - Bonus MC [optional]: Victoire Weasley

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RoxiMalfoy said:

Are you wanting to swap out BOTH of your songs, or just one of them? 

Can I change my 2019 song and character? 🙂

28 minutes ago, Crimson Quill said:

Can I change my 2019 song and character? 🙂

#15 - Song from 2019: Beautiful People, by Ed Sheeran (feat. Khalid)
#39 - Bonus MC [optional]: Remus Lupin

• Like 1