Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out our updated rules and content tutorials!
  • Contribute to our book review blog!
  • Keep an eye out for a blog entry recapping the rager of the decade
  • 2020's pre-FROGS review event will be starting later this month
RonsGirlFriday

Hogwarts Express and the Total Lack of Adult Supervision

RonsGirlFriday

Aside from the trolley witch, Lupin during PoA, and whoever is presumably driving the train (quick, someone write a fic about that guy), are we to understand there are no other adults on this train? The teachers are already at school when students arrive, and Lupin seemed to be presented as an exception to the rule in his taking the train. 

Whose bright idea was this, to put some 200 kids between the ages of 11 and 18 on a train with no responsible adults? Surely there have been fights that have broken out over the years? Is it left to the Prefects and Head Boy/Girl only? I’m just imagining the Hogwarts Express descending into a Lord of the Flies situation...

• Like 6

Noelle Zingarella

@RonsGirlFriday Yes!! This fic needs to exist. I've always thought that the portraits at Hogwarts were part of the supervision plan; like it might be hard to make out with your SO or get into too much trouble if there's some portrait staring at you and possibly reporting back to your head of house. It's not like everybody had an invisibility cloak or Fred and George's brilliance at sneaking around. Maybe the train had some sort of magical fixture in the cars watching the students?? Or maybe everybody just ran amok. A fic from the pov of the frazzled train engineer would be an awesome read.

• Like 3

MrsDarcy

honestly, I think they're just left to their own devices - I mean, Hogwarts isn't exactly the most secure place either :hmm:three 11-year-olds almost die in book 1 after all 

I def think the prefects are supposed to step in if a fight breaks out etc.

(also Slughorn is on the train in book 6 - so teachers must be allowed?) 

@Noelle Zingarella haha, I so need this fic about the frazzled train engineer :P ! 

• Like 3

Cassius Alcindor

A good point that I hadn't really thought about. I'm a lawyer, and the amount of lawsuits that would result if Hogwarts was a real school, everything from child endangerment to Lupin's end of employment, would keep people like me employed for a very long time. 

• Like 6

LadyMarauder
On 12/16/2019 at 4:44 AM, RonsGirlFriday said:

Aside from the trolley witch, Lupin during PoA, and whoever is presumably driving the train (quick, someone write a fic about that guy), are we to understand there are no other adults on this train? The teachers are already at school when students arrive, and Lupin seemed to be presented as an exception to the rule in his taking the train. 

Whose bright idea was this, to put some 200 kids between the ages of 11 and 18 on a train with no responsible adults? Surely there have been fights that have broken out over the years? Is it left to the Prefects and Head Boy/Girl only? I’m just imagining the Hogwarts Express descending into a Lord of the Flies situation...

@RonsGirlFriday PLEASE WRITE THIS FIC! :thankyou:

Edited by LadyMarauder
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

RonsGirlFriday

@LadyMarauder Slytherin-centric fic: Snakes on a Train.

:whistling: I’ll see myself out now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Rainbow-tui
On 12/20/2019 at 3:49 AM, Cassius Alcindor said:

A good point that I hadn't really thought about. I'm a lawyer, and the amount of lawsuits that would result if Hogwarts was a real school, everything from child endangerment to Lupin's end of employment, would keep people like me employed for a very long time. 

Not to mention the constant injuries from potions and care of magical creatures, the potential trauma from defense against the dark arts, the lack of ethical teaching, and the continued employment of ineffective (Binns) and/or terrifying teachers (Snape/ Barty Crouch Jr .etc)...

It really is very very lax.

Rainbow-tui
On 12/20/2019 at 4:13 AM, LadyMarauder said:

@RonsGirlFriday PLEASE WRITE THIS FIC! :thankyou:

Something about Hogwarts transportation prior to the train would also be great. If the magical world is meant to be significantly delayed in comparison to the muggle world, in terms of technology, then the train would only have been in use max 100ish years (don't quote me I'm estimating). How might the students have been transported to school prior to this?

• Like 1

RonsGirlFriday
20 hours ago, Rainbow-tui said:

How might the students have been transported to school prior to this?

I think I read somewhere (maybe on the Lexicon or wiki) that students would have had to use traditional methods of transportation like flying (on brooms, obvs), Portkeys, or maybe even side-along apparition with their parents. It is really interesting that at some point Hogwarts decided it wasn't cool for families to just get the kids there efficiently and directly, but that all the students have to ride together for several hours on a train - and have to all gather in London to take the train, regardless what part of the country/ies they live in (like they could live closer to Hogwarts than to London to begin with).

Almost like they wanted it to be a...plot device... 👀

Beylah_obscurus

Yeah it really doesn't make much sense that there wouldn't be supervision. But I guess that's part of it... you have to suspend you disbelief that 200+ kids would be able to handle being on a train unsupervised. With the lack of supervision, why do we not see more teen pregnancies (mainly Hogwarts issue)? There are so many places that could be used and they'd barely even need to try to hide! I can't imagine prefects or Head Boy/Girl's being able to track all of that. The portraits is an interesting idea.

About all them getting to London to take the train... I can't remember if it says specifically that that is the only spot to get to Hogwarts, but do you think that there would be more entrances than just that one entrance point? Imagine the line and congestion waiting to just get in and out of the station if there is only one spot! 200+ students plus all of their families trying to maneuver their way about.  But maybe  there are local train stations around all of England and there is a barrier that magically transports you to the Hogwarts Express. So, the King's Cross station collects those in and around London.

Edited by Beylah_obscurus
  • Like 1

Margaret
On 12/19/2019 at 2:49 PM, Cassius Alcindor said:

This doesn't totally explain - actually it doesn't go much of the way at all - but it was the 1990s. Not saying that what was happening at Hogwarts would have been OK even back then, but you are talking an era when 7 year olds were put standing outside the classroom door and classes of children as young as 6 or 7 or even younger were left with just a teacher walking up and down the corridor at lunch break and 12 year olds were sent down town on jobs, at least in Ireland. Hogwarts is still ridiculously dangerous, though.

Edited by Margaret
  • Like 2

MrsDarcy
3 hours ago, Margaret said:

but it was the 1990s. Not saying that what was happening at Hogwarts would have been OK even back then, but you are talking an era when 7 year olds were put standing outside the classroom door and classes of children as young as 6 or 7 or even younger were left with just a teacher walking up and down the corridor at lunch break and 12 year olds were sent down town on jobs

gosh, I miss the 90s and its no-fuss attitude :P 

• Like 1

Rainbow-tui

True, I remember a school camp I went on when I was eight...we went swimming at the base of a waterfall, just teachers and children, no extra helpers. I really doubt that would be allowed now.