News Ticker

Original Fiction Winter Goals: 2020 Edition

Pixileanin

Hey all, it's the NEW YEAR, and everyone know that means...

NEW GOAL SETTING OPPORTUNITIES!

So, short story, I did NOT check in every Friday with people over the last six weeks.  That was a fail, BUT it was fun to see that people are still setting goals so I want to hear all about how that went here.  Also, feel free to check in with your brand new, shiny NEW YEAR goals.  I don't mind if you include FF goals in this space along with your OF writing goals.  My own writing goals are co-mingled with FF this year as well.

Let's get this party started with a re-cap of last year:

BIG DEAL: I finished an OF short story, coming in at just under 6k.  I even posted it HERE for Kevin's Knockout Challenge.  I'm particularly proud of it because it's the first OF I've FINISHED that wasn't firstly inspired by FF.  So that proves to myself that I can do this.  I'll gladly do a review swap with anyone who wants to take a poke at it and give me some CC. *hint hint*

I've stared transcribing my OF novel from handwritten notebooks.  It will be a long process, but I'm slowly making friends with the voice-to-text on my phone.  I read somewhere that you should read your stuff out loud anyway, as well as reading the whole first draft WITHOUT TOUCHING ANYTHING before you revise, so I'm killing two birds with one stone by doing it that way.  I got all the punctuation tags figured out, and even the paragraph breaks working.  But the quotation mark command DOES NOT WORK COME ON GOOGLE VOICE, GET THIS TOGETHER!!!  And yeah, I'm not willing to actually spend money on this, so if anyone has a voice-to-text that they love (that's also free) that works in Google Docs, let me know.  Thanks!  54k out loud... what a project!

NEW GOAL: there are TWO (supposedly) short OF short stories that I've semi-drafted, which fell flat over the last two years.  I aim to get one of those finished for the Sci-Fi challenge, (I think the deadline is in February?) and post it on the archives.  Gotta practice that short form.  Does anyone else find short stories tricky after working on novel-length stuff?  It's probably just me.  I'm not talking one-shot length, I can handle a 3k thing. I'm talking about that under 10k limit, where the story has one strong running plot, with short complications along the way.  I loved how my 20k AU turned out with the format, but I can't get a 10k format to work.  My plots keep expanding.  

I'm holding off on starting a new OF novel until March.  There are two unfinished FF stories that I want to bang on in the meantime.  We shall see if that happens.

And, back to you, Bob....  (that's you guys, collectively.  You're all Bob now... JK... I'm not funny)

@Elena How did NaNo go with your OF?  Did you get words?

@Tanda Any good noodle fics I should know about?  I liked the one where Ron learned how to make noodles.  It had a warm feel to it.  

@teh tarik Still going strong on your OF goals?  Anything new you'd like to share?

@MadiMalfoy Hey there!  How's your mix of FF and OF writing coming along?

@just.a.willow.tree Did you get around to that next chapter?  I hope you had a good break and are ready to jump back into school again.  Happy New Year!

Anyone else is WELCOME to jump in and post their progress.  The more the merrier, as the saying goes!

Let's take the new year by storm!

Onward mateys! ARRGH!!!

:pirate:

• Like 4

Guest Noelle Zingarella

:couch: May I join the cool kids at this party?

First of all, @Pixileanin those sound like great goals, and congrats on finishing that short story! I feel your pain about the short-story struggle. Hitting that sweet spot with just enough plot but not too much seems to be a tricky thing. I'm looking forward to supporting each other as we work on our goals :)

:freeze:            :computer:

Winter 2020 Goals:

• Finish and post Angelus+
  • Submit at least one piece to a blog or journal (it's okay if it's rejected, it's the submitting that counts)
  • Write an OF story for the Sci Fi Challenge
  • Possibly write an OF story for the Unreliable Narrator Challenge (but this may wind up being FF, it depends on where inspiration strikes)
  • Start outlining for an OF novel

Good Luck everybody!

I'd like to get in on this party! I don't know how much I realistically expect to accomplish in the first few months of this year, since the beginning of the year is godawful at work after the lull of the holidays. But I really do want to dedicate myself to some OF after having been out of the game for so many years.

I actually started out NaNo with an OF novel and made a teensy amount of progress before just diving back into FF because I was so excited to come back. I guess I can't be too upset about that because I found you guys. :) I will admit it is way easier and more attractive to me to just write FF all day, first because the existing infrastructure is there for me to use, and second because I just love playing with the characters, so I don't kid myself that I'm going to accomplish more OF than FF this year.

Here are generally my goals for 2020 even though this is a winter thread:

Fanfic:

• Finish Irrational (I think I can actually do this by summer, if not earlier)
  • Plot out and get several chapters drafted and posted for my new fic about the Snape family, Tobias's murder, and the battered women's syndrome defense (more specific goal is to have a good outline, a few chapters drafted, and start posting chapters by some time in February, and from there hopefully post about 2 chapters a month)

Original:

• Novel (satire/general/a little legal) - I started this during NaNo but had not done much story planning, so I want to go back and develop a good plot outline and character profiles before I try to start drafting again.
  • Novel (urban fantasy/legal drama) - Have done no work on this whatsoever but want to get a good plot outline, character profiles, and get some research done. Probably not realistic that I will get this done in the winter months. I may work on this and the other project above and see which one starts to crystallize better for me and then run with that one.
  • Try to start building up a body of OF short stories/one-shots; maybe use writing challenges to help with this; maybe convert some FF into OF.

This is all a little ambitious considering I also have some other non-writing-related personal goals that would require me to allocate my time differently. But it's good to have it written down to keep it in perspective!

And yes, I agree, short stories can be really tricky!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pixileanin said:

Hey all, it's the NEW YEAR, and everyone know that means...

NEW GOAL SETTING OPPORTUNITIES!

My own writing goals are co-mingled with FF this year as well.

I have the same goal as you have, Pixi. I restarted a long story at ff net little by little as a try. I'll gather the fragments later at HPFT as well.

I may post the second prompt at the writing excersises thread New Year Writing Prompt (all) the next week. So please share your writings, any fragments in your author's thread there if you feel like, folks. :)

• Finish the middle bits of Rose & Co. Apothecary
  • Finish editing it
  • lol post it and never look back
  • Like 4

On 1/4/2020 at 12:13 AM, Pixileanin said:

@Elena How did NaNo go with your OF?  Did you get words?

Thanks for asking :)

I crashed and burned, but it's not unusual for me 😂 I have attempted NaNo every year since 2006 and never made that 50k mark.

But I'm also writing a new OF. A Murder Mystery, but only from the POV from the people involved.

• Like 2

@Pixileanin it sounds like last year was a super productive OF writing year for you! Congrats on finishing your short story and posting to the archives. I keep reminding myself to read more of my fellow HPFTers OF on the archive, but I'm just not very good with this, mainly because I struggle so much for time and energy (I keep repeating myself!!).

On 1/4/2020 at 2:13 AM, Pixileanin said:

@teh tarik Still going strong on your OF goals?  Anything new you'd like to share?

Yep, I intend to write a lot more OF this year. Last year I wrote around six OF short stories (some edited, most unedited) and 1 poem, submitted  them to spec fic journals and zines, got heaps of rejections :P Got a couple of acceptances . And while getting rejected at first was super difficult and discouraging (I'm super insecure about my writing lol), I guess I learnt to just keep trying & keep editing & just keep carrying on.

I'm currently editing two fics (one <1K words and the other about 3K). I'd like to be able to write at least 5 stories this year!

And an ongoing goal for me is to just work on the drafts in my FF folder and post them one day :P

Good luck to everyone else with their writing goals!

• Like 2

Hey everyone!  Happy second week of January!

I was out of town yesterday for my daughter's All-State Chorus concert, and it was grand.  But now I'm back (and only a day late, wee!), so here we go!

This week, I struggled to start.  I hate that feeling of "I know exactly what to do, but I can't make myself DO IT!!"  The few days out of town with my daughter gave me several long stretches of time during her rehearsals where I finally did get that start, so yay for making my environment so boring that I actually got something done.  

I used the voice-to-text feature on my phone to read up to page 13 in my handwritten notebook.  That was as far as I could go during the convention; firstly, because it was hard to find a really quiet place to read out loud without people looking at me weird, and secondly, my phone started doing this weird thing where during a pause, it would automatically dump a copy/paste of the last three paragraphs into the document.  I have no idea what triggers this, and I didn't have the patience to figure it out.  But fortunately, I caught a few of them and deleted them right away.  If this keeps up, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm at a quandary.  Voice-to-text IS faster than typing, but if I'm going to encounter huge blocks of repeated text during revision, I'm not going to be in a super great mood, so... 

I printed out my short story I started over the summer and brought a notebook, and for the rest of the time I had, I re-read it and notated, and by the end of two days, had the new version plotted up to the climax of the story.  I'm feeling pretty good about the changes. I'm keeping the first scene, YAY FOR KEEPER WORDS!!!... but the first scene is getting moved to scene three... we all know how this goes.  In this case, change is GOOD.  I hate re-reading my drafts and thinking, "YIKES! This is BORING!!!"  It'll at the very least carry a lot more punch when the revision is done.  And the deadline isn't until February, so hopefully now that I've STARTED, I can keep going with my small bits of time when my life returns to its regularly scheduled program next week.

ROLE CALL!!!   (Is that how you spell it? I'm starting to question everything right now...)

@teh tarik FANTASTIC STUFF LAST YEAR!!!! I'm so happy you got those stories out into the world. That's a BIG DEAL!  Congrats on all your rejections, and especially on some acceptances.  You're doing GREAT!!!  There's an OF forum I belong to that gives out signature pips (like our badges here) for how many rejections people collect on their way to becoming published.  The admin, (who is both trad and self-published, with a 20 year writing career) has a 100+ rejections Pip on her sig. Stay positive, and we will cheer you on!

@Elena Hey, great job making words! I'm excited for your Mystery thing.  I love mysteries.  Let me know how far along you are, and keep pushing for The End, no matter how long it takes. (took me almost a year, and I've got revision after that...)

@crowsb4bros Hey hey... have you posted yet?  Are you still looking over your shoulder?  Stop that right now and make more words!  You can do this!!!

@Tanda How did you do with the prompts so far?  Anything inspiring come up for you?

@RonsGirlFriday Welcome to the party!  I find it MUCH easier to write FF than OF too.  But I'm starting to find my legs here and there.  I just want so badly for my characters to sing as loudly as JKR's do, and that's a lot of my challenge.  And second-guessing.  And self-doubt.  Wait... are those the same thing?  Anyway, I loved Irrational on the other site, and I'm so excited you're back to writing it again!  How is it going with the plotting?  I am ADDICTED to plotting, and will do that for hours instead of write, so if you need a buddy to bounce weird ideas off of, I'd be happy to provide a bouncing wall.  My process usually goes something like, "what's the weirdest thing I can think of here..." and then everything else looks much more plausible from there.

@Noelle Zingarella Hey, how are the blog thingys?  I'm VERY INTERESTED in your OF for the sci fi challenge, since I'm doing that challenge too.  I have a prompt leftover from the summer that I really got into, and it's horror/sci fi, so of course it's weird and convoluted, and the characters are quite amoral, but I'm dealing with it.  Sort of.   Also, I'd love to hear your outlining progress.  Outlining is something else I'm very into.  And it's all the work we need before the actual writing, but nobody every gets credit for that, and I think that's a shame because outlining can be an art form in and of itself.

@MadiMalfoy POKE

Onward!!!

Edited by Pixileanin
  • Like 3

Guest Noelle Zingarella

Thanks for this update @Pixileanin! I'm excited for you that you were able to get going on your projects. Sorry about the talk-to-text troubles, but I'm sure you'll figure out the program soon.

I got my first rejection from a literary journal today, so that was exciting :)  

My scifi is also pretty bleak. I have the idea, but I haven't started drafting yet...

For outlining, my method is pretty chaotic, but it works for me. For shorter stories, I just make notes about the order of the main events. Sometimes this stays in my head, sometimes I write it in a notebook, or at the top of the doc that I'm writing in (I almost always type when I write, because I'm faster at typing than writing longhand). For longer works, I create a spreadsheet in googledocs. The chapter numbers/titles go down the left hand side, and across the top I have noted all my plot lines. Then I make a note of what happens in each plot line in each chapter (not every plot line has something in every chapter). I like using the googledoc because it's easy to revise and switch things around as I get into the actual drafting, because I find that the story usually takes unexpected turns even when I outline. I also keep a notebook where I jot down ideas as they come to me, or other useful information.

How does everybody else outline?

3 hours ago, Pixileanin said:

Hey everyone!  Happy second week of January!

I was out of town yesterday for my daughter's All-State Chorus concert, and it was grand.  But now I'm back (and only a day late, wee!), so here we go!

This week, I struggled to start.  I hate that feeling of "I know exactly what to do, but I can't make myself DO IT!!"  The few days out of town with my daughter gave me several long stretches of time during her rehearsals where I finally did get that start, so yay for making my environment so boring that I actually got something done.  

I used the voice-to-text feature on my phone to read up to page 13 in my handwritten notebook.  That was as far as I could go during the convention; firstly, because it was hard to find a really quiet place to read out loud without people looking at me weird, and secondly, my phone started doing this weird thing where during a pause, it would automatically dump a copy/paste of the last three paragraphs into the document.  I have no idea what triggers this, and I didn't have the patience to figure it out.  But fortunately, I caught a few of them and deleted them right away.  If this keeps up, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. I'm at a quandary.  Voice-to-text IS faster than typing, but if I'm going to encounter huge blocks of repeated text during revision, I'm not going to be in a super great mood, so... 

I printed out my short story I started over the summer and brought a notebook, and for the rest of the time I had, I re-read it and notated, and by the end of two days, had the new version plotted up to the climax of the story.  I'm feeling pretty good about the changes. I'm keeping the first scene, YAY FOR KEEPER WORDS!!!... but the first scene is getting moved to scene three... we all know how this goes.  In this case, change is GOOD.  I hate re-reading my drafts and thinking, "YIKES! This is BORING!!!"  It'll at the very least carry a lot more punch when the revision is done.  And the deadline isn't until February, so hopefully now that I've STARTED, I can keep going with my small bits of time when my life returns to its regularly scheduled program next week.

@Tanda How did you do with the prompts so far?  Anything inspiring come up for you? 

I hope you will find more time for writing, Pixi.

Inktober's second prompt is "shadow".

I may write the conversation between Morgana Evans and Merlin.

Here's your weekly poke everyone!  (I'm getting better at this weekly thing)

I haven't made too much progress with anything this week.  I got a few more pages transcribed on my OF novel, but like everything else creative in my life, it's moving at a snail's pace.  The short story has been bouncing around inside my head this week, but no tangible progress.  I hope to set down some words today or tomorrow.  

How about you?

@Tanda Did you write that conversation?

@Noelle Zingarella Any progress this week for you?

@teh tarik  Here's your weekly poke.

@Elena Any news?

@crowsb4bros How are your projects coming?

@RonsGirlFriday Have you given any more thought to pen names and online presence?

@MadiMalfoy How is your writing this week?

• Like 2

I've worked on a bit of fanfiction instead. I've got a deadline coming up for an anthology that I need to complete this week! :( Soon though!

• Like 2

Guest Noelle Zingarella

I published another chapter of Angelus, and I'm hoping to finish the entire thing by the end of January. I'm also planning to start drafting the SciFi OF story today. 

11 hours ago, Pixileanin said:

@MadiMalfoy How is your writing this week?

Whoops, I've totally missed your previous pokes 😅 

So in true to form fashion, I started new WIP FF at the tail end of NaNo and then did like, no writing at all in December of anything. 😬 I'm hoping to really dive into my screenplay though over the course of the next few months -- part of my perks for being a patron for an actor I like on Patreon is she's doing a thing called "let's be writers" where she's talking about her writing process and there's even little exercises we can do with our own work. I'm hoping to use those exercises for my sci-fi screenplay! 

I have a couple small things to write the next few months FF-wise -- at least one or two challenge entries, and the last two chapters of my Hermione/Viktor letters fic, and however many chapters of my Waitress AU fic too! 

However, this is all tempered by the fact of my advancement to PhD candidacy exam that will be occurring in April, so we'll see what actually happens fun-writing-wise with that going on 😅

• Like 2

On 1/11/2020 at 1:39 PM, Pixileanin said:

@RonsGirlFriday Welcome to the party!  I find it MUCH easier to write FF than OF too.  But I'm starting to find my legs here and there.  I just want so badly for my characters to sing as loudly as JKR's do, and that's a lot of my challenge.  And second-guessing.  And self-doubt.  Wait... are those the same thing?  Anyway, I loved Irrational on the other site, and I'm so excited you're back to writing it again!  How is it going with the plotting?  I am ADDICTED to plotting, and will do that for hours instead of write, so if you need a buddy to bounce weird ideas off of, I'd be happy to provide a bouncing wall.  My process usually goes something like, "what's the weirdest thing I can think of here..." and then everything else looks much more plausible from there.

I also missed your previous poke. :) 

Plotting is moving slowly...I keep getting distracted by new ideas. :ninja: Curse the Challenges section. I should ban myself from reading it. No progress on any OF in the past couple of weeks. Boo! I'd like to get my plotting for my Snape fic out of the way and then finally move on to getting some traction on OF. I generally fail at plotting, or at least I feel that way. I've always loved doing character-driven stuff more. Like if you said to me, "Write about a character with x job and y neurosis doing z activity, and also add a mid-life crisis and some cake," I'd be like Yes, absolutely, done. My ideas always come to me in these little snippets like movie scenes, and drawing it out into a story with twists and turns can be difficult for me.

I relate so much to your comment about wanting your characters to sing as loudly as JKR's, and I think that may be a lot of what really stalls me in terms of OF. Like I have fairly cool ideas for...maybe not full stories yet, but scenarios...and trying to craft characters that are compelling is daunting. Because I read HP and I well and truly love the characters, and I'd like to create characters that have even half the allure.

This month has just been a lot of bleh for me, trying to get my head on straight and into a new routine. On the positive side, I'm making a transition at work that should free up a lot of time and mental energy for me to really try to re-dedicate myself to writing this year.

15 hours ago, Pixileanin said:

@RonsGirlFriday Have you given any more thought to pen names and online presence?

A little! Thank you for asking. It is something I want to get on top of. I have a lot of thinking to do about how I want to manage it. Unrelated to writing, but related to the issue of online presence, I've been thinking about trying stand-up comedy, and that's its own thing where I think I'd want to build up an online presence as well, and at this point I'm like...am I going to have just one presence for everything? Am I going to use my real name? Am I going to have a pen name? A stage name? Are the pen name and stage name going to be the same? I also work for the government, and if you googled me by name and city you'd likely be able to find out who I really am and what I really do, so that's like...another consideration.

Therefore, having no answers to any of this, here I sit continuing to draft chapters for Irrational (thank you for your comment about that, btw!!) and also thinking about trying my hand (voice?) at some podfics, because of course.

@Pixileanin Out of curiosity, what's the voice-to-text software you use on your phone? Is it something that came already loaded on the phone?

• Like 1

Guest Noelle Zingarella
1 hour ago, RonsGirlFriday said:

Curse the Challenges section. I should ban myself from reading it.

I also find the Challenges section a blessing and a curse! Some of my very favorite stories have come from challenges, and I never would have thought of them otherwise. But sometimes I find myself so stacked up with Challenges that I don't have as much time as I want for my WIPs....

@RonsGirlFriday The voice to text is part of Google, and it's already on my phone.  It's really difficult to wrangle for long speaking, because it still takes about three paragraphs and REPEATS them in text form after doing it the first time.  The only solution I've found so far is to hit the little check button at the top to save my progress every two paragraphs or so, which seems to dump the voice to text memory.  It's sort of working, but there's a lot of back and forth that I'd rather not do.  I don't think it's designed for the lengthy stuff I'm using it for.

• Like 1

On 1/19/2020 at 8:05 PM, Pixileanin said:

@Elena Any news?

Not yet. Had to focus on some health issues, but it's still running around in my head :)

• Like 1

It's FRIDAY!!!

And I'm on it this week.  I know a lot of you are furiously reviewing for the event (YAY EVENT!!) but let's not completely dump our goals.  That's the hard part... all this juggling.  So let's see how we did this week.  By the way, it's so good hearing from you from time to time and seeing your progress!  Keep it up, everyone!

This week, I am now up to 10 scenes (out of 57, I've decided to count by scene instead of wc. It seems cleaner that way) transcribed with my ify voice-to-text method. For comedy's sake, I thought I'd share a few of my voice-to-text experiences with you.  Firstly, my MC's name keeps switching between "Co', 'See You' (yes, with the caps and everything...???) and 'CEO' (because I'm writing about a big corporate takeover.... NOT!)  His actual name is 'Theo', and I have the most luck getting it to transcribe correctly when his nephew refers to him as 'Uncle Theo', or when I do a little lift in my voice every time I say his name.  Otherwise, Google Voice thinks I have a lisp or something. Gah.  And then of course I get these little gems:

"Allegiant Air goes to the Legion Hall, hears from his guards, that the master is famished. What do we do? "

"Sister was still holding her son Ted New paragraph. His chest, Theo told her. He plays wanted this turns on the boys chest. He lay his hand on the boy, and close to size. Then the shadows came. Like with person his ears, he didn't have to see them to know that they had arrived."

"I wish it were under happier circumstances, CEO said I have something I want you to examine. It is abnormal blood.  Oh? The older man said with interest.  CEO gave him the stalker trial and the man held it up to the light. Contagious?"

Sooo... is this ... helpful?  I have no idea.  There are no airports or corporate entities, or even stalkers in my story.  When I say Revision is going to be a beast, I'm not talking metaphors.  Please send help.  Thanks!

In other news, I'm working on my short story today.  Fingers crossed.  All typing, all the time.

Back to you, Jim... 

@Elena Hope everything goes okay.  Keep going!

@Noelle Zingarella I see you reading the challenges posts... close the tab.  Walk away.  

@RonsGirlFriday How's words?  Any new ones?

@MadiMalfoy Hey hey!  What's cooking?

@crowsb4bros Got some stuff working for your anthology?  How's it coming?

@Tanda Snails move faster than rocks.  Am I right?  Wait, don't answer that.  I might not like what I hear.  How are your prompts?

@teh tarik Poking. 

🏴‍☠️

Gosh, that is TINY.  I want a BIG EMOJI THING...

ONWARDS!!!

Edited by Pixileanin
  • Like 2

Guest Noelle Zingarella

@Pixileanin you have my sympathy for your talk to text woes--but man are the outtakes funny. I wonder if the paid versions work any better? It might be worth it in the long run...I like that you're counting up your novel by scenes too--I tend to think the same way about my stories.

I have not signed up for any new challenges (yet). I did finish Angelus+ on Wednesday, which is my longest OF to date (at almost 12K words, I decided to call it a novelette instead of a short story). I'm mostly happy with it, and I'm going to call it pithy rather than underdeveloped. It's meant to mostly be me getting my feet wet in this world that I hope to write a much longer story in later. (Why do I feel the need to justify all that? OF feels so much less comfortable than FF).

Otherwise, I am 5766 words shy of this month's goal of 20K words drafted, and I plan to spend all of those on OF short stories; one for the Sci FI Challenge and one for the Unreliable Narrator Challenge. Hopefully I can fit that in around the reviewing events.

My anthology piece is coming along! I took a break to work on my original fic! I just realized that I’m 99% sure I’ve written one of my characters as ace so now I’m going back to add in more hints about it since he’s a key love interest in my ensemble! 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pixileanin said:

It's FRIDAY!!!

And I'm on it this week.  I know a lot of you are furiously reviewing for the event (YAY EVENT!!) but let's not completely dump our goals.  That's the hard part... all this juggling.  So let's see how we did this week.  By the way, it's so good hearing from you from time to time and seeing your progress!  Keep it up, everyone!

This week, I am now up to 10 scenes (out of 57, I've decided to count by scene instead of wc. It seems cleaner that way) transcribed with my ify voice-to-text method. For comedy's sake, I thought I'd share a few of my voice-to-text experiences with you.  Firstly, my MC's name keeps switching between "Co', 'See You' (yes, with the caps and everything...???) and 'CEO' (because I'm writing about a big corporate takeover.... NOT!)  His actual name is 'Theo', and I have the most luck getting it to transcribe correctly when his nephew refers to him as 'Uncle Theo', or when I do a little lift in my voice every time I say his name.  Otherwise, Google Voice thinks I have a lisp or something. Gah.  And then of course I get these little gems:

"Allegiant Air goes to the Legion Hall, hears from his guards, that the master is famished. What do we do? "

"Sister was still holding her son Ted New paragraph. His chest, Theo told her. He plays wanted this turns on the boys chest. He lay his hand on the boy, and close to size. Then the shadows came. Like with person his ears, he didn't have to see them to know that they had arrived."

"I wish it were under happier circumstances, CEO said I have something I want you to examine. It is abnormal blood.  Oh? The older man said with interest.  CEO gave him the stalker trial and the man held it up to the light. Contagious?"

Sooo... is this ... helpful?  I have no idea.  There are no airports or corporate entities, or even stalkers in my story.  When I say Revision is going to be a beast, I'm not talking metaphors.  Please send help.  Thanks!

In other news, I'm working on my short story today.  Fingers crossed.  All typing, all the time.

🏴‍☠️

Gosh, that is TINY.  I want a BIG EMOJI THING...

ONWARDS!!!

@Pixileanin, I guess you are busy, but so productive! Short stories sounds fun. And blood things are your specialty, I remember your rabbits.

I try to focus on my multi-HP centric -mixed with druidic AU-which Hinny shippers will frown at 'okay, political mystery -I hate and no thank you'- fic...hahaha.  I found a very good Hinny fic last night. It was really good. The author wrote Harry so well. I need to describe more about each character, Luna, Harry, Hermione...in my story.

Edited by Tanda
spelling

On 1/25/2020 at 4:42 AM, Pixileanin said:

@teh tarik Poking. 

Thanks for the poke! I haven't been around much eep. All those voice to text snippets are amazing - you could make up a whole alternate plot with those 🤣

Since I last posted, I got my first rejection of the year, of the decade really, so I guess I'm on track with things :P I'm currently writing a new fantasy-ish short story; I saw a call for submissions for an interesting looking anthology - I don't think I'll be able to make it because it looks like there'll be heaps of entries from pro published writers, but oh well, worth a shot. I've also completed edits for another short story which I've been working on for some time, but don't think I'll do anything with it yet...it's not the kind of story that I think people like. So yeah anyway, I'm slowly trying to build up my completed short fiction total, just so I can really get into the habit of finishing things and working to deadlines.

• Like 1

Hey look everyone, a whole week has gone by!  Anything exciting happen???

Yeah, me too.  I let my OF short story rest.  There's STILL SOMETHING not working with it, and I haven't figured out what it is, so I went on and worked on something else this week.  It's a fanfiction that I started two years ago, and then for some reason, dropped like a hot potato and never returned to.  I can't remember why.  I was so surprised that it had so much content and was so close to being fully plotted.  It was a joy to work on something that was coming together, something where I didn't have to scramble for missing pieces.  It's way longer than something I want to work on right now, but it's also giving me the experience of making decisions and moving forward.  I'm giving myself the rest of the weekend to work on this, and THEN I'll go back to my other short story, which has a deadline of Feb. 15th.  Hopefully, that will kick me into story finishing mode.

How about you guys?  I know it's tough to write and review at the same time, for those of us who are participating in the event.  Tell me everything!!

@Tanda I love your druid plots!  How are things coming?

@crowsb4bros Did you insert stuff into your story about your ace character?  How does it read?

@Noelle Zingarella How's that sci fi thing?  Curious minds...

@teh tarik Sounds like you're moving along!  My short story journey is not going smoothly.  My brain wants to make things LONGER, and I'm all, "Look, I don't wanna spend all year on this plot. Just get to the end already!"

@Elena Weekly poke.

@MadiMalfoy Hey, how's that story?

@RonsGirlFriday You've been busy.  How are the stories?

• Like 1