Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out the Prefect Blog for the results of the Springtime Writing Event!
  • Stop by the Wizarding Universiade sub-forum to mini-game your House to HC victory!
  • The Crazies' Café is open for JulNo!
dreamshadow

dreamshadow

dreamshadow
Posted (edited)

welcome, welcome!  after several months of procrastination, i've finally decided to open up a writer's journal.
so please, pull up a seat and your beverage of choice, and make yourself comfortable ^_^

if you're new around here, hello! my name's jill, and i've been around the fan fiction world for quite a long time. you might remember me as dreamgazer220 on ye old site, or in recent months as secretdreamer. my most well-known fic was probably sweetest goodbye (circa 2006) which later became haunting shadows, which has now morphed into seeking normal (more on that later).  i also have a habit for deleting stories after i get bored with them and i only ever seem to finish one-shots. (except for sweetest goodbye, which did get completed in, uh... 2007.) i also wrote a slew of ginny/seamus one-shots for writing challenges, which became sort of well known, too.

but enough about the past. i'm looking ahead in 2020, and i've got a couple things up my sleeve.

seeking normal (M): hp, next generation
advisories for: sexual content, substance abuse, violence

975640174_seekingnormal.png.c5962a657d816c0e6a090b4cec4f84a5.png
banner by ailsha @ tda 

seventh year isn’t what maddy nott hoped for.

instead of thriving at the top of the social ladder, she’s forced to deal with the aftershock of a tragedy she can’t remember.  toss in a heated quidditch rivalry with roxanne weasley, hazy memories that attempt to breakthrough the surface, and a semester long project that threatens to crack her perfected composure, and suddenly everything she’s worked for could crumble down around her.

and there’s nothing she can do to stop it.

as i mentioned before, this story has come a long way.  but i'm super excited to tell maddy's version; this is my heart fic. if you're familiar with my writing, you're definitely gonna notice similar themes and characters that i've tried to use in previous versions/other wips but with new twists to them. i've got a rough outline for this and i can't wait to see where the story is going to take me. so if you like tragic love stories, potential ghost sightings, enemies to allies to friends to... lovers?, and a TON of angst, then maybe check it out.

i thought a lot about how i was going to showcase my one-shots in my journal, but i like highlighting the two that I'm most proud of, for very different reasons. both of these stories impacted me in a huge way while writing them. they were equally challenging and fun and different from my typical one-shots. 

something like gravity (M): The 100
advisories for: self-harm, sexual content, substance abuse, suicide

gravity.png.5d89c43bdf45e7f260e367c9401dfe41.png
stunning banner by if/then @ TDA

four times emma rhodes tried to let go.  and the fifth. 

this is probably the darkest fic i've ever written, but i'm really happy with how it came out. it was challenging, and ended up being a little more than 9k. follow emma as she struggles to deal with the aftermath of praimfaya, and everything that happened while she was on earth.
spoilers through season 4.

starlit nights (T): HP
advisories for: sexual content

starlit.png.7bbe13cdbd57524392072443504003f8.png
stunning banner by down-in-flames

for the last two years, the holiday season has been more painful than cheerful for julia longbottom. thankfully, her group of friends has been there for her to try and turn it into something special.
this year, though, they're all leaving the castle for their own reasons -- all except for one.

this was my first fic featuring two girls, and it was so much fun to write. i wanted to write something hallmark-y for the challenge and i think this fic definitely fit the bill for that. and despite being riddled with angst, julia and molly were two very different characters than i normally write; much quieter and introverted but comfortable with each other. it's a fic that's close to my heart for several reasons, and if you need some feel good fluff, definitely check it out. 

if you're looking to see what other fandoms and fics i've written, feel free to stop by ap +here.
i also love talking about my writing, and writing in general, so if you have any questions about stories or just want to say hello, feel free to pop by ❤️ 

Edited by dreamshadow
  • Like 5

dreamshadow
Posted (edited)

hi friends! so 'update writer's journal' has been on my to do list for an... embarrassingly long time, and six months after i revamped mine seems like the perfect time for one!

as some of you might've seen, i recently asked for help regarding finishing longer fics. i'm sad to say that this update doesn't include a new chapter of seeking normal or not even a little bit, but i've at least looked at my scrivener doc for the former. and... plotted! i'm constantly watching outlining videos on youtube for tips and tricks, but i really just need to get over myself and finish chapter 2. i have half of it written already, and chapter 3 is when things start to get exciting, so hopefully i'll be able to do that this month. that's one of my goals anyway, along with (hopefully) another chapter of not even a little bit. i'd meant to have one up before the challenge deadline passed, but, alas. i'm distracted easily. 

during the month of april, i somehow wrote 2 fics in the span of a week. i'm actually really proud of them, though, especially since they're the first smut fics i've felt brave enough to post. they're for the 100 fandom, part of a modern universe. they're all connected, and while you can read them separately, the progression is that much more satisfactory if you read them in order. they're under a single universe called +we are young, which was co-created with @clevernotbrilliant, who has a fic slotted in there as well. i highly recommend checking hers out too, although hers is (more or less) separate from my murphy/emma fics. there's a part 3 that's finished (and written together), but i just haven't... edited it yet.

the universe follows john murphy and emma rhodes as they meet in college and somehow fall in love with each other while they're at school. i don't want to give too much away because there are one-shots i have planned but not written, but... even though their relationship is rocky, they're endgame.

the order is as follows: +wildest dreams, +accidentally in love, (a few unwritten fics), +crash into you. all rated m for smutty reasons.

i do have a few other one-shots planned, one of which is a hp one-shot(!), so hopefully that will actually get written sometime soon too. well, at least before the challenge deadline 😋

as always, feel free to ask any questions, say hi, poke me about writing, etc❤️ 

Edited by dreamshadow
  • Like 2

magemadi
On 6/5/2020 at 5:16 PM, dreamshadow said:

there are one-shots i have planned but not written, but... even though their relationship is rocky, they're endgame.

Jill you have me going 👀 👀 👀 with this! Don't you dare hurt my Emma and Murphy! Don't. You. Dare! :P At any rate, I do have some relevant questions for you about this lovely universe ❤️ 

1. Will there be a one-shot/flashback scenes/etc where we see how Emma and Bellamy were as a couple ever in future fics? 

2. Got any recommendations for Murven fics I should read?

3. What do you enjoy the most about this specific The 100 universe that you write in, as it's a "modern" (loose term here for obvious reasons) AU of the show?

• Like 1

nott theodore

Jill!  Hiii :hug: It's always so nice to see you around the forums again and (of course) writing more.  I'm here with a few questions for encouragement!

1. You've written in quite a few different fandoms - what are the challenges of writing in each one?  Does your favourite to write in depend on your mood, or do you have one that you like more than the others?
  2.  I'm so impressed with the way that you've stuck with Seeking Normal in its many iterations.  What is it about the story that drives you to continue working on and improving it?
  3.  Besides Seeking Normal, are there any other story ideas you've had in your head for a long time that haven't made it onto paper yet?  Can you give us some hints if there are?
  4.  What's the main way that your writing has evolved since you began writing fanfiction?
  • Like 1

Recent Badges

dreamshadow

thank you so much for stopping by, guys  ^_^
sorry for the delay responses with these!

madi❤️ 

On 7/4/2020 at 3:34 AM, magemadi said:

Jill you have me going 👀 👀 👀 with this! Don't you dare hurt my Emma and Murphy! Don't. You. Dare! :P

listen,  i'm not saying you're gonna suffer the whole time but... there will be suffering. i just can't help myself :couch:

Will there be a one-shot/flashback scenes/etc where we see how Emma and Bellamy were as a couple ever in future fics? 

ooo, this is a good question. to be honest though, probably not? the closest we might get is a fic after they breakup; i want to write them for the 'lovers to friends' challenge. as cute as they are now, i have a hard time writing them as anything but friends. despite the fact that, y'know, i created emma specifically for bellamy. oops?

Got any recommendations for Murven fics I should read?

surprisingly no! so clearly this means i need to rectify this immediately

What do you enjoy the most about this specific The 100 universe that you write in, as it's a "modern" (loose term here for obvious reasons) AU of the show?

in this particular universe, i like that they're college age. i've done a lot of high school aus, but the early to mid twenties age range just seems to suit them the best. it gives emma room to have a better grip on her trauma/learn how to breathe as a functioning human being. plus, trying to navigate college with jobs/adult life is always an added bonus! ^_^

thank you for these wonderful questions, i'm glad you seem to be invested in these two idiots :hug: 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

sian❤️ 
it's so nice to see you around again, too! and these questions were so so lovely

On 7/17/2020 at 12:54 AM, nott theodore said:

You've written in quite a few different fandoms - what are the challenges of writing in each one?  Does your favourite to write in depend on your mood, or do you have one that you like more than the others?

i definitely like writing for the 100 more these days. since i write mostly aus, there's more freedom, so it's almost like original fiction with characters i know/love. on that same front, though, writing them in canon-verse is most challenging. it's a post apocalyptic show and they're always making difficult decisions, sometimes on the brink of war, and there's a lot of sci-fi. it's not a genre i feel most comfortable writing in, whereas hogwarts is a much easier setting for me to write. 

it can vary depending on my mood, though; sometimes i'll have a very strong "i wanna write hp fic" vibe and just go with that.

for smaller fandoms, i usually only write something if a pairing stands out to me - like adam/ronan for the raven cycle by maggie stiefvater, or that one time i wrote a nick/nora fic from simon vs the homo sapiens agenda.

I'm so impressed with the way that you've stuck with Seeking Normal in its many iterations.  What is it about the story that drives you to continue working on and improving it?

i think it's because it's the one fic i ever actually finished? and it was just so bad, so i want to do the storyline justice. plus my sister likes to joke that the only stories i ever write involve ghosts 🙄 (but like... she's not wrong) i like how modernized seeking normal is too, with some of the themes and the fact that it's next gen. much more room to breathe so i don't have to worry about screwing up canon. also, one of the reasons i scrapped the fred/cate version was because after all the shit i put cate through, i felt bad that fred eventually dies in the battle of hogwarts so... yeah. i wanted them to have a happy ending after all of that anguish 

Besides Seeking Normal, are there any other story ideas you've had in your head for a long time that haven't made it onto paper yet?  Can you give us some hints if there are?

not really? probably the closest one would be a collab project i've written with my friend from high school over the years - and i've tried writing different variations of that plot for a while (there are actually some themes in seeking normal that come from that project, like maddy being at the top of the social food chain/school politics that play a huge role too), nothing just ever seems to really stick. and i think that's frustrating, almost, because i wish i had an original fiction story i was that passionate about. alas :P

What's the main way that your writing has evolved since you began writing fanfiction?

ooh, good question! definitely my comfort in third person point of view. i used to write exclusively in first person, but in the last two years or so, i've gotten more comfortable in third. so believe it or not, i think seeking normal is the only fic on my ap that's in first person, aside from the older ginny/seamus stories. there was a time when 'hp is first person, every other fandom is third' was my rule, but i think startlit nights was the first one to break that trend.  i think i've gotten better at description, too. 

thank you both so much for these lovely questions! they were so much fun to answer ❤️ 

image.png

image.png

• Like 2