Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Stay tuned for the results of our annual FROGS awards!
  • Give feedback on future review events!
  • Check out our new discord server!
  • CMDC review event results have been posted on the Staff Blog!
Noelle Zingarella

The Origin Story Challenge | 11 April 2020

Noelle Zingarella

Every Story

giphy.gif

Has a Beginning

sqe9aJ.gif

The Origin Story Challenge

I'm back with another challenge: write an origin story for a character from fandom (canon or original); or write a work of original fiction that explores the origin of one of your own characters. Everyone comes from somewhere, and I love learning the (often surprising) details of how a person got to be where they are. These can be really satisfying, especially if they reveal something unexpected about the character, but somehow that unexpected detail makes the character's present-day behavior all make sense. If you'd like some help, I would be happy to assign you a random character and/or trope to get the creative juices flowing. Let me know what fandom you'd like if you ask for a prompt.

The entries will be judged according to the following criteria:

• Quality of Writing--Mechanics: 10 points possible
  • Quality of Writing--Style: 30 points possible
  • Creativity: 30 points
  • Execution of the Origin Story (i.e. How well you tie the story to the present-day character): 30 points possible

1wc5pi.jpg.4f0a399fc2834d4936282e05380d9b74.jpg

The Rules

• All stories should be in the queue by the Challenge deadline. Please include "For Noelle Zingarella's Origin Story Challenge" somewhere in the story summary.
  • All entries should be posted to the HPFT archives and follow the site guildlines/TOS.
  • I will accept any length entry. If it is a multi-chapter fic, in which the entire fic comprises the Origin Story, please have at least two chapters in the queue by the deadline. If it is a multi-chapter fic in which only part of the fic contains the Origin Story, please have the relevant parts in the queue by the deadline. If you have any questions about this, PM me.
  • No prewritten entries. I will accept new chapters of existing stories though. 
  • You may combine this with another challenge if that challenge host agrees as well.
  • Multiple entries are allowed.
  • All ratings will be accepted for this challenge, as long as they are in accord with the archive ToS.
  • Accepted Fandoms are under the spoiler bar. If the one you want to use is not on the list, just ask me :)
Spoiler
  • Harry Potter
  • Original Fiction
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  • Good Omens
  • Merlin
  • Pride and Prejudice, or any other Austen novel
  • Robin Hood
  • Star Trek
  • Batman
  • Downton Abby
  • Sherlock Holmes
  • Due South
  • Forever Knight

giphy.gif

Prizes!

• Everybody gets a review on each chapter of each entry piece.
  • Third Place will receive an award graphic, three additional reviews on stories of your choice, and a link in my sig for a month.
  • Second Place will receive an award graphic, five additional reviews on stories of your choice, and a link in my sig for a month.
  • First Place will receive an award graphic, seven additional reviews on stories of your choice OR four reviews and a podfic made by me of a story of your choice that is 5K words or shorter, and a link in my sig for a month.

I can't wait to see what y'all come up with!

Edited by grumpy cat
  • Like 2

RonsGirlFriday

I'm in, I'm in, I'm in! 

• Like 1

MadiMalfoy

I'll be a maybe, with one of my main characters in my OF universe (either Amaryllis or Myrcella, I haven't decided yet) ^_^ 

• Like 1

Aphoride

I'm a maybe but only because I'm so bad at follow-through for challenges :P Also, just to check because I have a plunny already - do you count Fantastic Beasts characters/storylines as part of HP? 

• Like 1

Lost_Robin

Please put me down as a maybe!

• Like 1

MalfoysAngel

I’ll be a maybe :)

• Like 1

Noelle Zingarella
11 hours ago, RonsGirlFriday said:

I'm in, I'm in, I'm in!

Yay!!!

11 hours ago, MadiMalfoy said:

I'll be a maybe, with one of my main characters in my OF universe (either Amaryllis or Myrcella, I haven't decided yet) ^_^ 

Wonderful!!

8 hours ago, Aphoride said:

I'm a maybe but only because I'm so bad at follow-through for challenges :P Also, just to check because I have a plunny already - do you count Fantastic Beasts characters/storylines as part of HP? 

Hurray! And Fantastic Beasts totally counts as part of HP!

3 hours ago, Lost_Robin said:

Please put me down as a maybe!

Awesome!!

2 hours ago, MalfoysAngel said:

I’ll be a maybe :)

Fabulous!!

All Participants (Takers and Maybes)

RonsGirlFriday

MadiMalfoy

Aphoride

Lost_Robin

MalfoysAngel

Lost_Robin

I don't want to jinx it by saying this, but I am definitely going to be doing this challenge!

• Like 1

northbound24

I'm definitely going to do this:

I've got a few ideas:

How Obadiah Teague (Jimmy Teague's father) became Ancient Runes professor at Hogwarts (As stated in A Hospitalable Prosposal.)

Jack Teague's career advice session (The central character in The Inspector Teague Letters: The Church Lane Murder), with added Umbridge and Frank Longbottom origins.

And potentially the 'origin' of the Teague and Malfoy family ties (as told by Eddie Teague of A Halloween Wake)

• Like 1

Noelle Zingarella
On 1/12/2020 at 5:06 PM, Lost_Robin said:

I don't want to jinx it by saying this, but I am definitely going to be doing this challenge!

Fingers crossed!

On 1/12/2020 at 5:59 PM, northbound24 said:

I'm definitely going to do this:

I've got a few ideas:

How Obadiah Teague (Jimmy Teague's father) became Ancient Runes professor at Hogwarts (As stated in A Hospitalable Prosposal.)

Jack Teague's career advice session (The central character in The Inspector Teague Letters: The Church Lane Murder), with added Umbridge and Frank Longbottom origins.

And potentially the 'origin' of the Teague and Malfoy family ties (as told by Eddie Teague of A Halloween Wake)

Wonderful! These all sound very interesting!

Takers/Maybes:

RonsGirlFriday

MadiMalfoy

Aphoride

Lost_Robin

MalfoysAngel

northbound24

Jo Raskoph

I'll be a maybe with the origin story of my OF Danielle Hamilton from my stories Sunflowers in December and The Obliviator. They're both set in the Harry Potter universe, but this character is a muggle so the challenge entry will probably be OF.

• Like 1

Noelle Zingarella
21 hours ago, Jo Raskoph said:

I'll be a maybe with the origin story of my OF Danielle Hamilton from my stories Sunflowers in December and The Obliviator. They're both set in the Harry Potter universe, but this character is a muggle so the challenge entry will probably be OF.

Awesome! 

Participants: (Takers & Maybes)

RonsGirlFriday

MadiMalfoy

Aphoride

Lost_Robin

MalfoysAngel

northbound24

Jo Raskoph

TreacleTart

Ooh. I'm about halfway through the newest chapter of my story Isabella. It's OF and most of it is origin story...kind of similar in tone to HP & The Sorcerers Stone. Is that acceptable? If so, put me down as a taker.

• Like 1

Noelle Zingarella
On 1/23/2020 at 1:03 PM, northbound24 said:

Can't wait to read it!

45 minutes ago, TreacleTart said:

Ooh. I'm about halfway through the newest chapter of my story Isabella. It's OF and most of it is origin story...kind of similar in tone to HP & The Sorcerers Stone. Is that acceptable? If so, put me down as a taker.

This sounds so interesting! Yes, I'll take it.

Participants: (Takers & Maybes)

RonsGirlFriday

MadiMalfoy

Aphoride

Lost_Robin

MalfoysAngel

northbound24

Jo Raskoph

TreacleTart

Entries:

Another Monday

RonsGirlFriday

My entry is up!

Must Be One of Arthur's Boys

It's going to be a one-shot collection about 7-8 chapters long, but the first chapter is up, and the first chapter is really the meat of the Arthur Weasley origin story. I was originally just going to write that as a one-shot by itself and be done with it, until I decided I'd like to expand the idea with more one-shots that are related and span several years of his life.

• Like 1

abhorsen.

Hi I have an entry it is kind of out of the blue and might not be a proper origin story (and if it is it might not be super significant without knowing what comes after which includes all kinds of Drastoria one-shots) but: +among a room full of enemies (an open door)

• Like 1

Noelle Zingarella
17 hours ago, RonsGirlFriday said:

I'm excited to read this!

9 hours ago, abhorsen. said:

Hi I have an entry it is kind of out of the blue and might not be a proper origin story (and if it is it might not be super significant without knowing what comes after which includes all kinds of Drastoria one-shots) but: +among a room full of enemies (an open door)

Yay! Thanks for joining the party!

All Participants: Takers/Maybes:

RonsGirlFriday

MadiMalfoy

Aphoride

Lost_Robin

MalfoysAngel

northbound24

Jo Raskoph

TreacleTart

abhorsen

Entries:

Another Monday+ by northbound

Must Be One of Arthur's Boys+ by RonsGirlFriday

among a room full of enemies+ by beeezie

• Like 1

Lost_Robin

Is it cool if I combine this with Eva's Unreliable Narrator Challenge?

• Like 2

Noelle Zingarella
2 minutes ago, Lost_Robin said:

Is it cool if I combine this with Eva's Unreliable Narrator Challenge?

Oh my, YES!

• Like 2

Noelle Zingarella

In a surprise plot twist, I have decided to revise the rules slightly, which should allow more freedom to you, the authors. Should you care to revise your entries in light of this, feel free to do so, as I will not review them until after all the entries are in. The original post about the Challenge has been edited to reflect these changes; and I am noting them here in this post:

1. I will accept any length entry. If it is a multi-chapter fic, in which the entire fic comprises the Origin Story, please have at least two chapters in the queue by the deadline. If it is a multi-chapter fic in which only part of the fic contains the Origin Story, please have the relevant parts in the queue by the deadline. If you have any questions about this, PM me.
  2. All ratings will be accepted for this challenge, as long as they are in accord with the archive ToS. 

Continue as you were.

• Like 2

grumpy cat

i shall try writing some of you should see me in a crown for this :evilkermit:

• Like 2

Lost_Robin

It's almost done, and it will definitely all be in the archives by the time April 11 rolls around: Forget-Me-Not.

• Like 2

Tanda

I may prepare for two brand new chapters of the multi-chaptered HP (AU) mixed with Druidic magic, the main character is Harry.

• Like 1

Noelle Zingarella
On 2/15/2020 at 2:47 PM, grumpy cat said:

i shall try writing some of you should see me in a crown for this :evilkermit:

Yessss!

On 2/18/2020 at 12:08 PM, Lost_Robin said:

It's almost done, and it will definitely all be in the archives by the time April 11 rolls around: Forget-Me-Not.

Fantastic!

5 hours ago, Tanda said:

I may prepare for two brand new chapters of the multi-chaptered HP (AU) mixed with Druidic magic, the main character is Harry.

Wonderful!

Takers/Maybes:

RonsGirlFriday

MadiMalfoy

Aphoride

Lost_Robin

MalfoysAngel

northbound24

Jo Raskoph

TreacleTart

abhorsen

grumpy cat