Jump to content

Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Stay tuned for the results of our annual FROGS awards!
  • Give feedback on future review events!
  • Check out our new discord server!
  • CMDC review event results have been posted on the Staff Blog!
Lost_Robin

Wizarding Fashion

Recommended Posts

Lost_Robin

As some of you may have seen, I've fallen down the rabbit hole of trying to figure out wizarding fashion. I know that in canon it's a bit eccentric and mostly is made up of robes, but I find it highly unlikely that the robes have been the same style since they were invented. I am by no means a historian, but I feel like wizarding fashion and Muggle fashion would have diverged a little bit after the Statute of Secrecy.

That being said, I like to imagine that not even the fashion of the wizarding world can escape the influence of Muggles, and it does seem as though parts of wizarding fashion was based on the Muggle world. Maybe I'm conflating the books and the movies, but the 'traditional' wizarding fashion always gave off a sort of Victorian vibe to me. It just seems a bit odd that people were only described wearing robes, but maybe they started using a utilitarian style after the First Wizarding War? Does anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RonsGirlFriday

Are you more wondering about the fashion of the robes themselves, or the extent to which wizards started adopting more Muggle-like attire such as jeans, trousers, etc?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lost_Robin

More about the robes themselves, I think. We get very few details in canon, and it's always been intriguing to me. I always imagined them like fancier bathrobes as a kid because that's what robes meant to me, but I wonder if they have a variety of styles/cuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

RonsGirlFriday

I think they do. I recall Hermione's dress robes for the Yule Ball were described as "floaty" (and I think it was specified in the books she did wear robes, not a dress as we would typically understand it) so I would think a number of fabrics are available.

I imagine regular, contemporary robes being sort of a simple silhouette like a judge's robe or graduation gown (but maybe a heavier fabric, which would make it drape nicely) -- or like the style the kids wear at school in the films. Maybe more old-fashioned or formal robes being more medieval in appearance, huge sleeves, embellishments, etc.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

grumpy cat

i found it kinda silly that wizardkind would limit themselves just to simple robes when there are so many possibilities with magic and fashion and enchanting clothes.......soooo i decided to do my own take on it and introduced wizarding fashion, along with designers, models, fashion weeks in physical fatality :P

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lost_Robin
11 hours ago, RonsGirlFriday said:

I think they do. I recall Hermione's dress robes for the Yule Ball were described as "floaty" (and I think it was specified in the books she did wear robes, not a dress as we would typically understand it) so I would think a number of fabrics are available.

I imagine regular, contemporary robes being sort of a simple silhouette like a judge's robe or graduation gown (but maybe a heavier fabric, which would make it drape nicely) -- or like the style the kids wear at school in the films. Maybe more old-fashioned or formal robes being more medieval in appearance, huge sleeves, embellishments, etc.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm surprised that they don't really have fanciful robes in canon, but that doesn't really seem like something Harry would notice. I imagine that the robes would be heavily influenced by medieval times, like you said, and they would probably look like very old-fashioned Muggle clothes. I've always pictured the Hogwarts robes as looking very much like they did in the movies, but I was about six when the first movie came out, and I read the book shortly after.

3 hours ago, grumpy cat said:

i found it kinda silly that wizardkind would limit themselves just to simple robes when there are so many possibilities with magic and fashion and enchanting clothes.......soooo i decided to do my own take on it and introduced wizarding fashion, along with designers, models, fashion weeks in physical fatality :P

This! I don't know anything about fashion, but I would hope that they have fashion trends. I mean, Witch Weekly has to have more than just crosswords, right? I've always imagined the magazine a bit like Cosmo, and there would have to be trends and such. I will definitely have to read physical fatality.

I'm very bad at fashion stuff (aka I wear jeans and a t-shirt when I'm not at work), but it's always intrigued me to think about how they would dress. Like, there could be silk enchanted to feel exactly like water. They could have moving designs. So many possibilities.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

grumpy cat
15 minutes ago, Lost_Robin said:

They could have moving designs.

a thing i actually wrote haha :P but yeahhh, i really love the idea of wizarding fashion because like...magic! maybe it's because i work in the creative industry, but i've always loved imagining wizarding architects and designers (not just fashion) and artists in general. hogwarts has moving paintings and moving staircases but ahhh there can be so much more of it. *_*

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lost_Robin
2 minutes ago, grumpy cat said:

a thing i actually wrote haha :P but yeahhh, i really love the idea of wizarding fashion because like...magic! maybe it's because i work in the creative industry, but i've always loved imagining wizarding architects and designers (not just fashion) and artists in general. hogwarts has moving paintings and moving staircases but ahhh there can be so much more of it. *_*

I just feel this so much. We don't get to see too much of wizarding culture in the books, and I've always wanted to develop it a bit more. Like, they had to create their own fashion and architecture and such. They were isolated from the Muggles, so they had to develop on their own. I don't know much about fashion or designers, but I know a bit about music, and, while I enjoy the idea of them listening to Muggle classical music, they clearly have their own singers and such. Like, I want to see houses that are bigger on the inside (which I'm including in something) and the fashion being as magical and wonderful as the moving paintings.

I realize that was a bit rambly, but I just really like pretty things and thinking about how it could be even more magical. Right now, I don't have anything that would have a lot of fashion or pretty clothes, but there will be.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

abhorsen.
2 hours ago, grumpy cat said:

a thing i actually wrote haha :P but yeahhh, i really love the idea of wizarding fashion because like...magic! maybe it's because i work in the creative industry, but i've always loved imagining wizarding architects and designers (not just fashion) and artists in general. hogwarts has moving paintings and moving staircases but ahhh there can be so much more of it. *_*

ohhh i was going to say that i take the easy way out and just give them muggle clothes (which seems to be what younger people wear outside of hogwarts, anyway), but actually that's not quite accurate! i definitely add magic in - the jewelry I describe lovestruck boys with too much money giving girls they really really want to like them (lolololol) is always magical creatures that move around a bit (i prefer to think of myself as clear in my interests rather than predictable 😛), and i definitely talk about them charming their clothes to do things like keep them warm/repel stuff/whatever. and i definitely think about things like ornaments and decorations being magical and moving around.

usually those are magical creatures too, come to think of it. good god i really am predictable. 😂

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

grumpy cat
1 minute ago, abhorsen. said:

magical creatures that move around a bit

a random waiter at a restaurant in chapter 3 of taobn has a moving dragon tattoo and the dragon is kinda shy and scaredy of new people so it hides under clothes when it meets new guests :kris: i forgot about it until just now but tattoos are art&fashion 🧐 moving tattoos. sparkling tattoos. colour changing tattoos. fun stuff

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

abhorsen.
25 minutes ago, grumpy cat said:

a random waiter at a restaurant in chapter 3 of taobn has a moving dragon tattoo and the dragon is kinda shy and scaredy of new people so it hides under clothes when it meets new guests :kris: i forgot about it until just now but tattoos are art&fashion 🧐 moving tattoos. sparkling tattoos. colour changing tattoos. fun stuff

love it omg!!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


×
×
  • Create New...