Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out the Prefect Blog for the results of the Springtime Writing Event!
  • Stop by the Wizarding Universiade sub-forum to mini-game your House to HC victory!
  • The Crazies' Café is open for JulNo!
grumpy cat

challenge idea cache

grumpy cat

have a challenge idea but no time to host it? say no more.

post your idea here and maybe someone else will use it to host the challenge.

if you use someone's idea, please credit them when you post the challenge ;)

• Like 3

grumpy cat

i'll start:

• challenge creator makes pinterest boards, participants write stories based on those boards (aka a surefire way to descend into the black hole that is pinterest and never to emerge, but we die like heroes....?)
  • the obscure language challenge - write a story in which you incorporate a not-commonly-used language in fics (aka no mixing in bits of french/spanish/german, but yes, go wild with greek or icelandic)
  • a song of ice and fire scenes reimagined as harry potter (red wedding = bill&fleur's wedding....targaryens = house black .....)
  • Like 2

VaguelyCreativeName
  • the 'neighbours to mild acquaintances to rivals to brothers-in-law' challenge: participants focus on showcasing how the relationship between a set of characters evolves, undergoing at least three distinct stages - this means you can include common tropes like enemies-to-lovers or friends-to-lovers, but you have to show at least one additional state of the relationship, e.g. enemies to lovers to exes

• in a similar vein, the 'lovers to friends' challenge: We all love a good friends to lovers fic! In this challenge, participants should take a pairing (this could be of their own choosing or randomly generated, it's up to the host) and focus on how their platonic relationship is strengthened after a romantic/sexual relationship has been formed! For example, this could mean writing about strangers hooking up and then actually becoming friends, but also about an already existing couple going through some experience that ends with them becoming better friends.
  • Like 8

Guest Tanda
Posted (edited)

Under the circumstances, I lost the motivation for writing fighting against Corona Virus theme including Nicholas Culpeper.  :/

As Laura said, writing fanfiction is rewriting and creating new,  forgetting the author herself, so I expect someone who has still passion for Harry Potter, to continue Harry Potter fandom.

My idea for the story challenge is that Fighting Harry Potter to Save the World

The protagonist will be any character in Harry Potter, any people from all countries, any gender identities. One shot or multi-chaptered or poetry style, any style is okay. Using other languages okay while translation with it. Any rating, Original or AU will be accepted as well. The other theme you will add, option, romance, angst... any okay as well.

Edited by Tanda
Culpeper, not Culppeper...

RonsGirlFriday

"A Life for a Life" Challenge (or some similar way of saying that) -- You get to save a character who died in canon... but you gotta kill someone else instead, who did not die in canon. It could involve character 2 actually dying when and where character 1 died in canon (e.g. literally taking their place); or it could occur in a broader sense, that character 1 doesn't die, but at some point in the canon timeline character 2 does.

• Like 6

CheekyTorah-Lex

Drarry Challenge (because Drarry is my OTP)

some other ideas:

the kink challenge: get a universal kinks list (minus age play, chan and any other kinks that wouldn’t abide the archive rules) or are triggering to the host) for participants to choose from and have that kink be the theme of the story. Come on y’all our archives limits are broader we neeeeeed to take advantage ;)  (When I’m done mine in October I will host this if no one else does heh)

The Co-Author Challenge: don’t care what you write but you HAVE to write with another HPFT author!

just for JKR challenge. EVERYONE in your story identifies as a person jkr would hate: lgbtq, person of colour, etc. Because maybe I’m a touch bitter.... AND when I mean everyone I mean: EVERYONE

• Like 2

VaguelyCreativeName
Posted (edited)

(I've been obsessing over various DnD podcasts/shows, so...)

The 'Make a Survival Check' Challenge (obviously you could use a different name)

In most TTRPG games like DnD, player are frequently asked to roll for various stats (intelligence, insight, acrobatics, animal handling, etc.) to determine how well they do in performing certain tasks. The idea for this challenge is to incorporate performance checks like these into a story! You would usually add a proficiency bonus or penalty to your roll as well (so if you have a naturally very smart character, you get to add +3 or whatever for each intelligence roll), but I think it'd be easier to just work with straight rolls (i.e. no bonuses) for the challenge!

What I'm imagining is this, although feel free to adapt it however you see fit:

• the challenge host posts a list of possible checks to make (I've linked a page about ability checks here+, if you scroll down a bit they've broken them down into categories, and another explanation about what situations might warrant what sort of checks here+, again you might have to do some scrolling)
  • participants get to choose 3-5 of those
  • the host rolls for those abilities using a random number generator (1-20)
  • (you could potentially re-roll, but ti'd be up to the challenge host if/how often they allow this)
  • participants write a story incorporating those elements

For example, if a participant ends up with animal handling: 2, deception: 10; persuasion: 18, you could write a story about a character failing abysmally at controlling a loose blast-ended skrewt, trying to cover up the mess they made but being found out not immediately but pretty soon, but managing to talk their way out of trouble anyway!

Edited by VaguelyCreativeName
  • Like 5

Raspberry_cordelia

Expecto Patronum/No More Angst Challenge: I love me some angst, but I also adore some whole-hearted joy.  Write something about unbridled happiness and bliss with the same amount of intensity that you would write angst - something so wonderful that it could be a patronus memory :) 

• Like 4