Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out the Prefect Blog for the results of the Springtime Writing Event!
  • Stop by the Wizarding Universiade sub-forum to mini-game your House to HC victory!
  • The Crazies' Café is open for JulNo!
Sign in to follow this  
victoria_anne

The Station Master | victoria_anne

victoria_anne
Posted (edited)

Okay, so.

I do not have high hopes for this project (see: this year) because I'm in a really big slump right now for writing, reading, everything. But I'm going to give writing a red-hot crack because nothing changes if nothing changes, right?

This is an old project that I think I'm in the mood for. It's set in an English train station in the 1930s, where the station is run by banished fairies. The main character is a boy called Easton who is selfish and cynical but his adventure with the fairies in the station eventually make him a better person.

I'm going to aim for about 500 words a day - something small and do-able because I don't want to put a lot of pressure on myself and make myself feel worse. I'm thinking of doing a couple of character vignettes for each of the fairies who live and work at the train station, just to stretch the writing muscles. I might post them in here, we'll see!

Thanks for stopping by!

🧚‍♂️

📌 Pinterest board+ (M)

🎵 Spotify playlist+ (M)

Edited by victoria_anne
  • Like 3

shadowycorner

I love this idea! I love your pinterest board! I am now hounding your entire spotify. You have Tori Amos there? :wub: :wub: Love her!

Some questions!

1. How much research are you doing into the era?

2. Do you use any other novels or stories set in that time as inspiration and also research I guess?

3. Can you tell us more about the fairies? Do they look like humans or more magical?

4. Why have they been banished?

5. Is the train station as setting a metaphor for something, like the gateway between two worlds?

6. What made you decide on Easton's arc to be selfish-boy-turns-good?

Also special kudos for doing an OF!

Recent Badges

victoria_anne

@shadowycorner Hi! You so speedy! 💕 I'm sorry you clicked on an empty playlist, haha. I've started filling it now. I love Tori Amos! I've been listening to her since I was 12 and I've never known many people who also enjoy her music!

1 hour ago, shadowycorner said:

1. How much research are you doing into the era?

Not a lot! I'm just relying on what I've seen in movies and old train stations because I don't want to get bogged down in research at this point!

2. Do you use any other novels or stories set in that time as inspiration and also research I guess?

This idea came from watching the movie Hugo ages ago, so that's always been a jumping off point. But in general I just love the feel of movies set in 1930s/40s England.

3. Can you tell us more about the fairies? Do they look like humans or more magical?

They've lost their wings so they're looking a little more human, but some can still do a little bit of magic! I don't have a magic system planned out yet, but I definitely want some speculative moments in the story!

4. Why have they been banished?

All kinds of reasons! Some were justified (but those fairies have nothing to do with the station... until later, anyway) but others were unfair or in misunderstood situations. I only have about three side-characters planned so I'm excited to explore some more!

5. Is the train station as setting a metaphor for something, like the gateway between two worlds?

Mostly I just like train stations, but yes, there's a gateway to 'Fairyland' there! I think Easton will visit it at some point.

6. What made you decide on Easton's arc to be selfish-boy-turns-good?

I always give my characters a major flaw to overcome, and since I think I was originally planning this while writing The Harder They Hall, Easton was kind of similar to Finn. But dumping Easton in a close community of kind, loving people made selfishness an interesting trait to give him!

Thank you so much! My fanfiction projects don't appreciate that, but I certainly do 🤗 Thank you for the questions! 💕

• Like 2

nott theodore

B!!! Ah, I'm so excited to see you working on writing again and you know I'm here for encouragement and support! :hug: (Also, having seen your appreciation for trains in action, I love that this story is set in a train station.)

1. So, the train station.  Fairies.  Is it going to be common knowledge that they run it, or is this a secret that Easton specifically uncovers?

2. How does Easton come across the station?  Has he always lived nearby, or does he move into the area and find it?

3. How long do you anticipate this story being?

4. What perspective is it going to be told from?

5. Is the story aimed at a specific age group, or will it be for all audiences?

6. You said this is an old project - has the story idea changed much since you first had it?

7. What are you most excited about with this story?

Recent Badges

victoria_anne

@nott theodore Thank you so much, my love 🥰 I forgot there's a witness to how I react when a steam train rolls in 😂

10 hours ago, nott theodore said:

1. So, the train station.  Fairies.  Is it going to be common knowledge that they run it, or is this a secret that Easton specifically uncovers?

Secret! I think there's only going to be evidence if you know where to look!

2. How does Easton come across the station?  Has he always lived nearby, or does he move into the area and find it?

He's actually left to it in his cousin's will. His cousin was also a 'gatekeeper' with a connection to the fairies, and when he dies he wants Easton to take over even though the cousins haven't been on speaking terms for a long time. Easton can't wait to sell it (without knowing it's importance as a gateway) but he gets swept up in everything before he can. By the end of the story he'll want to stay and work there!

3. How long do you anticipate this story being?

Most of my original novels come in at around 80k, so hopefully this one will be, too! 

4. What perspective is it going to be told from?

This is funny, because I've been thinking about this lately! Normally I'd say Easton's perspective in third person, but I'm playing with the idea of an omniscient narrator with a fairy tale feel, kind of like Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire, but I won't know until I start writing! 

5. Is the story aimed at a specific age group, or will it be for all audiences?

It's young adult, but I want to deal with some darker themes 😏

6. You said this is an old project - has the story idea changed much since you first had it?

Not really, but only because I never really had it planned out 😋 I had a little bit of the start written, and now I have a skeleton for the rest of the story but I'm hoping to get a little more planning in before July!

7. What are you most excited about with this story?

Writing the villain, always 😋 and I think it will be fun to be exploring this new world at the same time Easton does. Since finishing my last novel, it feels like I haven't had a blank page in front of me for a long time!

Thank you so much for the questions, Sian! Love you and miss you! 💕 

• Like 2

just.a.willow.tree
Posted (edited)

Hello, B! :hug::hug::hug: 

I love your writing a ridiculous amount, and I will be cheering you on from the sidelines! I think your style of writing is perfect for writing a train setting -- it's already such a unique fantastical aesthetic, and I want to already envelop myself in this world, even though you haven't posted any snippets yet. :P I have also poked through your Pinterest (sooo many gorgeous star + sparkle images in there), and am currently listening to your Spotify playlist, which is *chef's kiss*~

1. I loved your flawed characters so much. Was Easton always a selfish and cynical kid? Or was there a turning point (for the worse) in his life when he became that way?

2. You said that you were initially planning on writing this alongside The Harder They Fall (one of my favorite stories ever 😭😭). Does Easton still compare to Finn, or have they grown a little further apart as characters?

3. In this world, where else can we find fairies? 😋

4. I love your playlist so much! Are there specific songs in here (or other ones that you might not have included) that you associate strongly with Easton?

5. Do you have names for some of your fairies? 😍

I think this is going to be amazing, B. 💛

Edit: I JUST GOT TO THE AVATAR SOUNDTRACK AHHHHH.

Edited by just.a.willow.tree

shadowycorner

I totally agree with your idea of giving a character a flaw and then setting them on a journey to overcome it, stories like that are nice to read and identify with because I feel like I also have a lot of flaws and so it gives me hope that perhaps I can also overcome them, I just have to imagine the fantasy adventure :D

Haha, yeah, the Station Master playlist was empty when I clicked on the Spotify, but just so you know, I've been listening to the Boy of the Forest on repeat ever since and I love it :wub:

Recent Badges

starlitcastles

Hey Bianca!

Your story already sounds really amazing especially with banished fairies are running a train station alongside the protagonist named Easton and his journey to do and become a much better person hopefully!  Definitely love many of your ideas for your stories and cannot wait to read it if and when it gets published! I hope that everything goes well for you and your writing this month and that you reach the 500 word count goal for this story as well.  I don't have any questions since many of them have already been asked but still wanted to comment anyway.  That being said: Good luck! You can do this! You got this! :) 

victoria_anne

@just.a.willow.tree You're so kind, thank you so much 😭💕 The star images are because Easton studies astronomy and he's really passionate about it, so I hope to include a lot of starry references 🌟 and my writing playlists are usually a mix of songs that make me think of the story and songs that I'm obsessed with at the time, and the latter is why Avatar songs are on there 😋 

23 hours ago, just.a.willow.tree said:

1. I loved your flawed characters so much. Was Easton always a selfish and cynical kid? Or was there a turning point (for the worse) in his life when he became that way?

Pretty much! He was an only child in a well-to-do family so he had everything he ever wanted. His father doesn't get along with his own family, so Easton kind of inherited that dislike (there's a family theme/feud I'm hoping to explore).

2. You said that you were initially planning on writing this alongside The Harder They Fall (one of my favorite stories ever 😭😭). Does Easton still compare to Finn, or have they grown a little further apart as characters?

Thank you 😭💕 Maybe a little? On paper he does but it will probably change once I start writing 😋 

3. In this world, where else can we find fairies? 😋

That's such a good question! I think they'd be everywhere, just trying to make new lives. I did a bit of planning of the villains last night (which is a group of five) and decided one of them works in a coffee shop as well as being a baddie 😅 Still gotta pay bills, I guess!

4. I love your playlist so much! Are there specific songs in here (or other ones that you might not have included) that you associate strongly with Easton?

Ahh, thank you! I love making playlists. Not quite yet, but I'm excited to find one. I'd say East by Sleeping At Last (for obvious reasons 😋) but that's actually one I associate with Wren from Boy of the Forest more! Since people really seem to be liking the playlists, I'll look at posting some music updates for new songs, or associate songs with characters in future if that's something anyone would like to see! 🥰

5. Do you have names for some of your fairies? 😍

Yes! I have three main ones so far (they're not overly fairy-like, but I like them): Clementine Blose, Jack Remington, and the baddie's name is Alistair Bloodworth!

You're amazing 💛 Thank you so much!

@shadowycorner That's so true about hope for overcoming your own flaws. In the last novel I finished, the two main characters had issues with body positivity and recognising their own self-worth/value, which are two of my biggest flaws, so it was really nice to explore those in a story (one believed she was only worth what she could invent, which is how I feel with writing sometimes.) I'm so glad you like the Boy of the Forest playlist! It's my favourite writing playlist, and it works for me because I think of that story every time I listen 😋

@starlitcastles Thank you so, so much 😭💕 You're always so kind and supportive and I really appreciate it 💛

I'm so glad I decided to post this nest after all because talking about it has made me excited to write it! I think I might be climbing out of this slump already, yay! 

• Like 1

Aphoride

Bianca! :D So excited for another novel from you - you always have such fascinating ideas :)  And I love urban fantasy omg, it's such a cool, interesting thing to do and fairies and train stations is such a good combination ^_^ 

1. where is the train station - is it like a city or town, or is it in a tiny little village somewhere? 

2. technical question - does the train station actually still work or is it, like, abandoned? 

3. oooooo a new villain! is there anything you can/want to tell us about him? :D 

4. what's the fairy world like? 😍

5. is there anything small about Easton you can tell us now - like his favourite drink, favourite colour, hobbies, etc.? 

victoria_anne

Laura! 🥰 Thank you! This is more an urban fantasy now because I've decided to set it in modern times, and it's a whole town with fairies, not just the station. I've never written an urban fantasy before but I'm really enjoying it so far!

11 hours ago, Aphoride said:

1. where is the train station - is it like a city or town, or is it in a tiny little village somewhere? 

It's a country town! I wanted something big enough to justify a train station, but small enough that it still felt like a community that I could handle. I'm using Lancaster as a reference (because lord knows I spent enough time at that station 😋) but the town isn't as big. I'm trying not to name any specific places, and have fictional town names for the main settings, but it's definitely set in this world!

12 hours ago, Aphoride said:

2. technical question - does the train station actually still work or is it, like, abandoned? 

It works! There's four platforms in operation, and a fifth that isn't... or is it? 😏🤔

3. oooooo a new villain! is there anything you can/want to tell us about him? :D 

YAY, my favourite thing about starting a new novel! 😂 His name is Alistair and he's the same age as Easton - 17 or 18 - with super pale skin and hair, and purple eyes. He's one of those kids that thinks war is fun and games, and just wants to be important, without really understanding the seriousness of it all. His dad started a rebellion in the fairy world before being imprisoned, and Alistair tried to pick up the task but was banished. He's trying to do what he can from the human world, but the station is all that stands between him and returning to Fairyland (I gotta find a better name.) I'm looking forward to writing him because he has a little group of friends who got themselves banished with him (again, they just wanted to be part of something without realising the consequences) but eventually they come around, and Alistair will slowly lose his control over them.

4. what's the fairy world like? 😍

Ahh, I'm not sure yet! My favourite fairy world is Holly Black's The Cruel Prince world, so I think it'll be something nature-filled and magical like that. The fairies' appearances change in it, so their pointed ears and other features come back when they're in that world 😊 There's a cat who lives at the station that everyone takes care of (inspired by a cat I know in real life who lives at a cinema 😋) and in the fairy world he turns into this massive winged beast, hehe.

5. is there anything small about Easton you can tell us now - like his favourite drink, favourite colour, hobbies, etc.? 

Well, I can tell you he drinks black coffee with no sugar because my brain decided that was a helpful thing to come up with 😋 He's a pretty hardworking student and doesn't have a lot of friends, just a lot of people he hangs out with, you know? He'd still go to a lot of parties, I think. His main life goal (for now, anyway) is to buy a secluded little house where he can stargaze in peace. He's really quick to judge people - does that count as a hobby? 😅 I think he'd like to travel a lot, too. 

Thank you so much for these questions! They really got me thinking, since I haven't done a lot of planning for this novel! ❤️ 

• Like 1

RonsGirlFriday

Hi B! This is such a fun and amazing and whimsical idea. I love modern/urban fantasy.

In this world, do humans know of the existence of fairies, and do humans know that these specific characters running the train station are fairies? Or is it like, the banished fairies are masquerading as humans and nobody knows otherwise?

Is Alistair an antagonist/ in conflict with the other characters from the very beginning?

Can you tell us more about the thwarted fairy rebellion that Alistair's dad tried to start?

victoria_anne

@RonsGirlFriday Thank you so much! 🤗

On 7/3/2020 at 2:03 PM, RonsGirlFriday said:

In this world, do humans know of the existence of fairies, and do humans know that these specific characters running the train station are fairies? Or is it like, the banished fairies are masquerading as humans and nobody knows otherwise?

They pretend to be human, and for the most part they're okay with living in the human world. I want the town to be kind of quirky and fairy-like but not that regular humans would notice anything more.

Is Alistair an antagonist/ in conflict with the other characters from the very beginning?

Yes! Easton's cousin was the one who kept Alistair at bay, but now that the cousin (Westley... I know, I'm hilarious) is gone, they want to rely on Easton. I haven't figured out why only certain people have the kind of power who can protect the others against the bad guys but I'm hoping to figure that out later 😅 So they're all familiar with Alistair, but one of the characters has a more personal connection with him, since he's the reason she lost her wings 🙊

Can you tell us more about the thwarted fairy rebellion that Alistair's dad tried to start?

I haven't thought that far, unfortunately 😔 All it really says in my notes is that he wasn't happy with the current regime and thought he'd do a better job. It was a power grab, really!

Thank you so much for stopping by 🥰

• Like 2

victoria_anne

How is the first week of July already over 😳

I've had a really good week of writing! This story feels so different to write. I haven't done a lot of planning (I used to be a major plotter but the more novels I write the less I seem to outline. Is that... confidence? 🤔) and I'm just letting the story unfold, discovering things the same time as Easton, which feels natural and is a lot of fun!

I've written 5,700 words so far! I think the beginning will need to change, but I'll do that later 😋 Easton has arrived at his home town to pack up his dead cousin's things, but the house had been broken into. Everyone he's met so far seems to think he knows something about the station, but Easton has no clue 🤷‍♂️ I've also introduced Clementine and Jack, who are two ex-fairies and major characters (Clementine always was, but Jack has been promoted.) It's just been a nice, easy story to write so far 😌

I've also picked up chapter 3 of How to Find the Missing, and would love to have it uploaded by the end of the month, but we'll see! 🤗 

• Like 1