News Ticker

magemadi

magemadi

On 12/29/2019 at 8:10 PM, starlitcastles said:

Hello! I thought I would drop by with some questions for your wishlist! :)

1.  After reading A Letter Is Like Immortality, I gotta ask: what’s your inspiration for writing a minor character like Audrian Pucey? Are you considering writing him into another works apart from that? :D
2. What is one of your writing goals that you accomplished this year? What do you hope to accomplish next year if possible?
3. What’s your favorite word and or phrase that you ever wrote in any of your stories and or fanfictions? Why?
4.  What’s a Broadway play that you personally never saw but would love to go see one day?
5.  What’s your favorite thing about the holidays? Do you have any holiday traditions that you partake in every year? If not, would you like to start a holiday tradition someday? What did you do for the holiday season that you enjoyed this year?

Hey Anni, thanks so much for these lovely questions! :D 

1. So I wrote about Adrian Pucey as he was the random character I got for the Slytherin-Centric Challenge (which I combined the Wrong Owl! challenge with in this fic) and honestly enjoyed writing him a lot more than I thought I would! He's different than my usual characters, in that he's all about Quidditch and not necessarily the best student because of that. I figured he could do a lot with Quidditch though, and aspired to greatness in the professional Quidditch world, and therefore knew he needed to do better in his classes because of that goal. I would totally write him again, but as of right now I don't have any plans to incorporate him into any new works of mine 😬 

2. Ooh one of my writing goals for 2019 was to finally hit "Complete" on something other than a one-shot -- and I did! I wrote my entire TGWDLM fic over the course of a few months and was really proud of it, along with being able to say I've finally finished a multichapter fic :P 

In 2020 I want to finish several WIP short stories (my Sybill Trelawney fic and my Hermione/Viktor letter correspondence fic) along with my two new Waitress the musical fics I started at the end of November. I also would LOVE to get a first draft of my sci-fi screenplay finished, and also to more fully flesh out my fantasy-sci-fi world in terms of world-building and character backgrounds. It's a lot, I KNOW, but we're not even a full month into 2020 yet, so I think this is doable, with the right amount of discipline. ;) 

3. Oh boy, I honestly couldn't even tell you! I know I had some great one-liners in my Dramione novel, but since it's literally been over a year since I last wrote for that, I can't remember any of them. I will say, I did like the=is line in Lionfish Spines and Dusty Bottles: "Emilia rested the back of her hand on her forehead, the other clutched to her chest and replied in her poorest attempt at Victorian English, "Oh whatever am I to do about that? What a shame it must be to not know he will never be my type." " It's a little comedy bit that made me chuckle as I wrote it, and I don't often feel like I write comedy bits very well, so I was happy with this one. 

4. I unfortunately did not get to see Waitress before it closed on Broadway, so I would have loved to see on Broadway. Otherwise, I'm also very obsessed with Hadestown, and would be extremely happy to be able to go see that in the future! 😍 

5. I love all of the baking I do with my mom! We do sugar cookies, peanut butter blossom cookies, gingerbread cookies (sometimes), almond bark pretzels, and puppy chow, along with stuff she does before I get home for the holidays. For years, my parents have also given each of us kids an ornament each year that represents kind of where we are in life at that time, or what we're really into. We also usually watch The Polar Express on Christmas Eve, but we were all too tired this year 😅 I would love to continue that tradition on my own in the future though for sure! 

Thanks again for these questions, and I hope you had a lovely holiday season!! 💚 

• 2 months later...

Hello friends, welcome to another round, another year, of dumpster fire Camp NaNo with Madi!

tenor.gif.6b0c419da8799caf3d052985db6f0598.gif

The plan for Camp NaNo this year is to be less chaotic, but still get things done that need to get done! I am once again using a handy dandy word tracker that will let me know if I'm on track for NaNo and if I've hit my daily goal as well. So without further ado, the GOALS and PROJECTS!

WORD COUNT GOAL: 10,000 WORDS

Projects:

1. Only One Bed / Modern AU Challenge Entry: Bellarke (The 100) fic where they're employees of some vague company that sends them to the New Frontiers Expansion Conference and they unexpectedly have to share a hotel room and also a bed. Hilarity, pining, and definitely some sexy times ensue. Currently at 1900 words, probably going to end around 4000 total. 

Project Word Count Goal: 2k words

2. Random Pairing Challenge Entry: I just signed up for this, but I got the exciting pairing of Parvati Patil/Lavender Brown, so this should be a cute little fic to write! No plans for it yet, hoping those shape up in week 2 of this month. 

Project Word Count Goal: 3k words

3. It Only Takes A Taste: Post-Show Waitress AU multichapter fic that's currently got 3 chapters posted on both HPFT+ and AO3+. Hoping to knock out another chapter at least of this, maybe two if inspiration strikes. 

Project Word Count Goal: 3k words

4. Planetary Boundaries (Sci-Fi Original Screenplay): This currently has 7 scenes/chapters up on HPFT+, and half of Scene 8 is written in Scrivener. Hoping to just make some progress with this and dig into some worldbuilding aspects as well. 

Project Word Count Goal: 1k words

5. Miscellaneous / Reviews: I've got a lot of reviews to work on this month, so this is just a category for that stuff. Also, any other miscellaneous things I end up writing will go in this category. 

Project Word Count Goal: 1k words

tumblr_d04bf16d46bf9662d192eadda3cb5400_b7c7d2b4_400.gif.d70613e2a51adfa767975d20070339f3.gif

And that's it for me this month! I don't think I've had just a single project since my first couple of NaNoWriMos, but it's just how life is for me now. 

Please feel free to poke me and send me questions!! 

images.jpg.29efef2bf2d4724a3bbcd9dac081b311.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Madi!

I thought I would drop by your Novel Nest since I always enjoy what you have to say in regards to your stories and works and am hoping to read them as they all sound interesting especially the Planetary Boundaries Sci-Fi screenplay.  Oh, and I also have a few questions for you below:

1. What is your inspiration for Planetary Boundaries?

2. How long have you been writing this particular screenplay? And how long have you wrote one in general? (The screenplay I mean).

3.  What is your go to snack for Camp NanoWriMo?

Questions aside,  I do hope that you'll be able to reach all your word count goal as well as completing your stories during this Camp NanoWrIMo! You can do it! You got this! :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 2:33 PM, starlitcastles said:

Hello Madi!

I thought I would drop by your Novel Nest since I always enjoy what you have to say in regards to your stories and works and am hoping to read them as they all sound interesting especially the Planetary Boundaries Sci-Fi screenplay.  Oh, and I also have a few questions for you below:

1. What is your inspiration for Planetary Boundaries?

2. How long have you been writing this particular screenplay? And how long have you wrote one in general? (The screenplay I mean).

3.  What is your go to snack for Camp NanoWriMo?

Questions aside,  I do hope that you'll be able to reach all your word count goal as well as completing your stories during this Camp NanoWrIMo! You can do it! You got this! :) 

Ah Anni, hello!!! :hug: 

1. So my main and biggest inspiration for Planetary Boundaries is actually a sci-fi webseries written & created by Ashley Clements on YouTube called SONA+ (M). She's a phenomenal actress (if you've seen the Lizzie Bennet Diaries on YT, she was Lizzie Bennet if her name seems familiar) and the storyline is really cool. Also in general I'm a big fan of The Martian by Andy Weir, and the Wayfarers series by Becky Chambers, with a healthy dose of Star Trek in there for good measure. In general though, what's really inspired me to a) write this sci-fi OF and b) write it in a screenplay format is that while we have things like Star Trek and whatnot out in the world, it's fairly fantastical by nature, and I want this to be more of an exploration of what deep space exploration and science experiments could actually be like, especially without there being any romance between the two leads. Just some nice meaty science and space talk with a healthy amount of conflict and strategies and whatnot in there, of course, but I also just wanted to see what it was like to write a screenplay as well!

2. This is my first ever screenplay that I decided to start out of the blue last fall in October, actually. So it's really a fresh thing for me and while I doubt this will ever become something actualized on screen, I wanted to take the chance to explore this new medium of storytelling in order to learn more about my own writing habits & tendencies and how I have to adapt those for this format, and how much detail I can still provide within the script/character sheets/setting descriptions that would otherwise be portrayed by the actors on screen. 

3. Well since this is April Camp NaNo, I've got a nice bag of Starburst jellybeans, but otherwise I honestly just love some cheese and crackers for a good dose of protein & carbs that keeps me going. 😋 

Thanks so much for these lovely questions, Anni! You always ask ones that really make me think 😊 

hi friends, we are just about halfway through the month, and i've got great news! in the 3 days I've actually been writing, I've broken 6k words!!!

This is EXCLUSIVELY due to finish my one bed fic, which is, uh, all...of...those...words... 😅 

At any rate, this is really exciting even if it ended up a) doubling the length of the entire fic and b) tripled my goal word count for this piece. :shrugs:

Regardless, it should be validated VERY SOON at the following link for anyone who cares to check it out! We're Totally in a Bad Rom-Com+

Now it's onto the next chapter of my Waitress fic!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Noelle Zingarella

Hi Madi! You're doing an awesome job with NaNo this month--and all this on top of your advancement ❤️

How is your next chapter of your Waitress fic going? Do you have an idea of how long this work will be? 

Are you planning to post your OF stuff on the archives?

On 4/24/2020 at 10:37 AM, Noelle Zingarella said:

Hi Madi! You're doing an awesome job with NaNo this month--and all this on top of your advancement ❤️

How is your next chapter of your Waitress fic going? Do you have an idea of how long this work will be? 

Are you planning to post your OF stuff on the archives?

Hi Noelle, apologies for the lateness of this response, last week was kind of a blur 😅 

1. The next chapter of my Waitress fic is about 900 words in right now, and in the middle of a scene 😛 It's already uh... 9k that's posted? And Jenna & Dr. Pomatter haven't even gotten together yet (oop, spoiler alert!) so this may end up being a novella approaching a novel 😬 Hopefully somewhere around 30k or less!

2. My OF stuff is somewhat posted on the archives -- I've got a few character vignettes of my fantasy/sci-fi universe posted, and the beginning of my sci-fi screenplay is also up on the archives, although I'm not sure if I'll continue posting that, or if I'll be doing some major revisions first before continuing that piece. Otherwise, once I really get into world building for my fantasy universe, I will likely continue to post similar things to what's up now -- character vignettes and the like -- but probably won't post my novel (or whatever it ends up being). 

Thanks for the lovely questions, Noelle!! ❤️ 

• 1 month later...

Well, it's been a hot minute since I posted in here, so here's a big ol' info dump & story dump for all the things I've written since my last major update......which was in November. 😬

Recently Posted (One-Shots/Challenge Entries/Completed Fics)

A Land of Myth, and A Time of Magic (A) - OF | Magic wasn't always present here. It came here, just like the many races did once. Listen, and i'll tell you the story of how it came to be. (Written for Noelle Zingarella's "Wizard Tales from Many Lands" Challenge) 

Knocking Requests (A) - HP | Pomona Sprout never really liked Severus Snape as a student, but when he joins Hogwarts as the newest Potions master in 1985, she decides to give him the benefit of the doubt and treats him with kindness. It's only when she realizes how much he's taking advantage of her generosity that her animosity towards this man comes rushing back. (Written for TidalDragon's "Knockout Challenge" - Round 1)

The Pursuit of Happiness Pie (T) - Waitress | What happens if Dr. Pomatter stays while his wife flies to Connecticut and he receives the Pursuit of Happiness Pie like Jenna originally intended?

Peanut Butter Arguments (T) - The 100 | Bellamy adheres to the perspective that creamy peanut butter is the best kind, while Clarke firmly believes crunchy peanut butter is supreme. Argument ensues. 

Matchmaking Over Coffee* (T) - TGWDLM | Paul and Emma text a lot, but mainly about how they want his coworker Melissa to get together with her coworker already.

Comforting Words* (T) - TGWDLM | A series of snapshots over time with texts between Paul and Emma. Sometimes comforting words on a screen are all that is needed. Other times, actions speak louder than words ever could.

Texts and Travels* (T) - TGWDLM | Emma constantly bugs Paul about getting coffee and just texts him a lot throughout the day with updates and news.

Texting Games* (T) - TGWDLM | Emma wants to play a game with Paul while he's at work, and he "begrudgingly" obliges.

We're Totally in a Bad Rom-Com (M) - The 100 | Clarke and Bellamy attend a conference at the behest of their boss, indra. What they didn't realize was how much meddling she did beforehand, and what it would mean for them to have to face their feelings in such close quarters. (Written for Cheeky-TorahLex's "There's Only One Bed" Challenge and down-in-flames's "Modern AU" Challenge)

Melancholy Strolls (T) - HP | A glimpse into the lives of Regulus Black and Barty Crouch Jr. as they try to navigate an ever changing world together after leaving Hogwarts. (Written for ImaRavenclaw's "Random Pairing" Challenge)

WIP Updates

Friendly Correspondence Chapter 2: Fall (A) - HP | A tale told through Hermione and Viktor's letters after the events of the Triwizard Tournament and beyond. Covers the autumn season of Hermione's fifth year correspondence with Viktor Krum, mostly up until the winter holidays.

It Only Takes a Taste (M) - Waitress, 3/? ch | It's been six years since Jenna last saw Dr. Pomatter after giving birth to her daughter, Lulu. When he suddenly makes a reappearance in her pie shop, how is she going to deal with it? Post-show Waitress AU

Planetary Boundaries (M) - Original Sci-Fi Screenplay, 5/? scenes | Dr. Terra Olivier and Dr. Nathaniel Borovitch are on a long-term, deep space exploration mission. When they discover a new planet with intelligent life and receive worrisome orders from their commanding officers, they must choose what they're standing for. 

*Transferred from AO3, written last spring/summertime

As it stands, there's a lot I want to get done during #JunNo (fake NaNo) and #JulNo (real NaNo), so here's my plans for June and July, writing-wise including challenge entries, original fiction, and fan fiction!

Currently Writing

• Challenge entries:
    • Fluff Challenge (due 7/25) - This is going to be about Terra & Nathaniel from my screenplay to help build out their characters in a narrative format that I don't get within the screenplay format so much. Aiming for 3-4k on this piece!
    • Trapped Together Challenge (due 7/3) - this screamed Bellarke to me, so I mean, it's gonna happen. Will smut happen? It's highly likely. Probably gonna reach 5k if smut is involved. :shrugs: 
    • Underrated Character Challenge (due 7/31) - I am going to make an attempt to write Rodolphus Lestrange for this, so any tips & tricks to writing him would be very much appreciated!! This will likely be 2-3k because it's not someone I am familiar with writing and therefore won't be able to wax poetic about. :P  
  • My own shit
    • Friendly Correspondence - chapters 3 & 4 (winter & spring, respectively) to be completed by August so I can mark this complete! Would love a combined 6-8k for both chapters. 
    • It Only Takes a Taste - 1+ chapters of this, no set word count or chapter # goal, it'll write itself to be as long as it has to be. 🥧 
    • Planetary Boundaries - 5-6 more scenes (chapters) + edits on the first 5 scenes, but always working towards more & fleshing things out as I go through my Patreon perk writer's workshop. 

Seems like a pretty manageable June/July, no? 😛 Regardless of my chaotic as usual TBW list, I am always welcome to questions about anything I'm working on or plans I have for future fics! :) 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’ve been granted an extension on the “Trapped Together” Challenge which is good bc I only have like 300 words of it written 😅 so far it’s bellarke exploring the woods around sanctum when a storm whips up and forces them into an abandoned outpost station. Chaos and fun are sure to abound when I finish this fic! 

I still have to figure out if I’m doing JulNo/what my projects are going to be in the first place so 🤷🏻‍♀️

magemadi's Chaos of Camp NaNoWriMo: July 2020 Edition

please ignore I am posting this three days in I was driving halfway across the US the first two days of July, okay??

spacer.png

Welcome to another round of NaNoWriMo with Madi where she absolutely has too many projects on her plate and yet still hits her goal by writing OTHER projects than what she plans to do! At any rate, I've got a few things that need to be completed this month (aka a couple of challenge entries) and some things I just want to get updated again after a few months!

spacer.png

(I brought this on myself and I did in fact have a choice)

My goals and projects for this month:

Word Count Goal: 20,000 words

spacer.png

Projects:

1. Trapped Together Challenge Entry - I had something started with this but need to rework it a bit but it will be done before the extended deadline!!

Word Count Goal: 3-5k words

spacer.png

2. Underrated Character Challenge Entry - I have nothing written for this yet, but it's not due until the end of the month so I have some time :P 

Word Count Goal: 2-3k words

spacer.png

3. Friendly Correspondence Chapters 3 & 4 - I need to finish writing the last two seasons of this fic, aka Winter & Spring! 

Word Count Goal: 6-8k words

spacer.png

4. It Only Takes a Taste Waitress fic - I've got the next chapter about 1/3 written that's just been sitting like that basically since March, so I really want to get that updated again!

Word Count Goal: 3-4k words

spacer.png

With that, let's get to it! 

spacer.png

Any and all questions about my writing and/or motivational posts are extremely welcome! :) 

• Like 3

What up friends it's ya girl and it's also day 3 of JulNo who cares I am still doing it! I am going to take a page out of @sibilant's book and remark positive things on a few of my fics (both current and old) so I can work on discounting my work less. :) 

1. Love Makes Me - this is my first attempt at a novel, and in it's third iteration, still leaves a lot to be desired r.e. consistent characterization & some plot holes, but I am honestly still really proud of how much my writing progressed even just from chapter one to the most recent chapter -- it's a writing style evolution along with just showing how much I've grown up and experienced more life to influence my writing. 

2. Happiness is Inevitable - while this fic is really only for a small fandom, I'm really proud of my ability to write solid cliffhangers here and connect each chapter with it's title (aka a song from the show) in a way that makes sense. The response I got on AO3 from this fic was overwhelmingly positive, which is always a bonus. 

3. Friendly Correspondence - trying out epistolary style for this fic has been super fun and I honestly really enjoy it?? Also I feel like I have a much better grasp on Hermione & Viktor's relationship/friendship than I have in the past, so yay for that as well!

Tune into my novel nest for more chaos of JulNo!

• Like 2

Hi Madi!  Hope you're doing well!  I have a few questions/comments for you as an early birthday gift.  I know your birthday already passed this year, but if you think about it, every day that isn't your birthday is before your next birthday, so:

1. I noticed that you write a lot of theatre fanfics (which is so cool, because I adore theatre).  How do you try to capture the "magic" of musical theatre in your writing? I read The Pursuit of Happiness and I think you certainly do it very well!
  2. What's your favourite part about writing friendships (like the one between Hermione and Krum)?
  3. Related to that same fic, what do you think is so compelling about epistolary style that makes you enjoy it particularly?

I'm so excited to read more of your stuff!

Hi Madi!! Oh, you have a novel in its 3rd iteration?? 👀 How has that process been for you? Has it changed very significantly from the first? I have never done a major overhaul of a long work. That's a lot of effort and dedication!

How has your experience been writing Viktor Krum? Were you comfortable writing him from the beginning? What informed your characterization of him?

Haha Lil, thank you so much for the (very) early birthday gift of questions! 😂 

2 hours ago, Raspberry_cordelia said:

I noticed that you write a lot of theatre fanfics (which is so cool, because I adore theatre).  How do you try to capture the "magic" of musical theatre in your writing? I read The Pursuit of Happiness and I think you certainly do it very well!

Ah yay a fellow theatre lover!! (I hope you've checked out the Broadway Musicals/Plays thread in the "Other Fandoms" subforum!!) With the musicals I've written for (Waitress & Starkid's The Guy Who Didn't Like Musicals) I really focus on what the music and songs do for the show, and how I can then incorporate some of those lyrics if possible or just the general mood/tone/vibe those give off in my fic pieces. These two shows in particular have some pretty deep, complex characters as-is, which makes it much easier on my part to write them in fic form! Thank you so much for reading that fic, it was a one-shot that culminated after seeing that scene and thinking, "What if?" and it went from there. 

What's your favourite part about writing friendships (like the one between Hermione and Krum)?

They're just so great! There's so many avenues down which you can go with them, and it honestly, to me at least, allows for more emotions to be explored in general but also to be explored more fully than romantic relationships sometimes can allow for. With Hermione and Krum specifically, it's really about knowing they had a bit of "will they/won't they" status to themselves for a bit during GOF, so this fic in particular that you're referring to by mentioning this pairing kind of tries to dance around that ambiguity from canon and paint their friendship as a truly strong bond that could have developed into something more romantic if they so chose. 

Related to that same fic, what do you think is so compelling about epistolary style that makes you enjoy it particularly?

Epistolary fics are just so compelling because it's a style of storytelling not frequently used, or at least not used exclusively in stories much anymore. My first experience with a full epistolary novel was the classic novel Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, and I guess it sort of resonated with me in high school and has stuck with me since. Letters between characters are also just a fun exercise to think about too, so writing these letters between Hermione & Viktor post-GOF as he tells her to do is simply a true joy. :) 

• Like 1

oops sorry @RonsGirlFriday i've been sitting with this tab open for a while writing my answers to Lil's questions and didn't see you had posted until after I had posted those answers. my apologies dear!!! 😅

5 minutes ago, RonsGirlFriday said:

Hi Madi!! Oh, you have a novel in its 3rd iteration?? 👀 How has that process been for you? Has it changed very significantly from the first? I have never done a major overhaul of a long work. That's a lot of effort and dedication!

How has your experience been writing Viktor Krum? Were you comfortable writing him from the beginning? What informed your characterization of him?

Yes my Dramione novel Love Makes Me (rip to its last update in 2018) was first started in October of 2012 when I was in high school that got to about 16 chapters. I then started a complete rewrite of it in 2014 during NaNoWriMo that redid all of the previously posted chapters plus wrote two new ones for a total of 18 chapters. It was again my NaNoWriMo project in 2016 where I once again started over (not from scratch this time) and got through about 14 chapters during that month (they got longer on average and I had less time during college) and have been working with that version ever since. You can really tell though how much my writing style has changed/how much I grew up/experienced life from the first couple of chapters to the most recent. It will probably never be finished at this rate, but it has certainly been a great effort and illustration of how growth can come just from continuing to write! 

Honestly it's been much easier to write Viktor Krum than I thought it would be!! As Friendly Correspondence is an epistolary style fic, I don't have to write his accent in at all, but I do write in a bit of stiffer, more formal language here and there as English is likely his second language after Slavic. I pulled from the books moreso than the movies and also just what I think he'd be like as a person outside of the canon information we know, along with how a 17 year old thrust into the spotlight might deal with that fame but also deal with liking a girl from a different school/country but still want to be friends regardless. :) I hope that answered your question 😅

• Like 1

Hey Madi!

First off, as always, I love your use of colors in the text depicting that of your stories and most definitely the Avatar: The Last Airbender gifs to express your nest which is pretty cool take hahaha! xD I also do hope that you'll be able to complete all of the projects listed especially the ones that are parts of challenges that are due at the end of this month and or within a few months!  I'm really curious about the  Trapped Together challenge entry,  Underrated Character challenge entry, and Friendly Correspondence as far as your work goes even though many of them sound great to be honest!  I don't have any questions at the moment so  I'll just be sending you good luck, best wishes, and barrels of motivation and encouragement your way! I also hope you'll reach your word count goals!  You can do it! You got this! :D 

• Like 1

On 7/4/2020 at 12:21 AM, magemadi said:

4. It Only Takes a Taste Waitress fic - I've got the next chapter about 1/3 written that's just been sitting like that basically since March, so I really want to get that updated again!

Hey Madi!

I hope you're enjoying Nano so far! I love the aesthetic you have going here. I have a few questions:

1. You seem to be juggling lot of projects, how do you get organised?

2. I'm so excited to see you're writing a Waitress fic! What inspired you to pic this universe? 

Maia :)

• Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 12:41 PM, starlitcastles said:

Hey Madi!

First off, as always, I love your use of colors in the text depicting that of your stories and most definitely the Avatar: The Last Airbender gifs to express your nest which is pretty cool take hahaha! xD I also do hope that you'll be able to complete all of the projects listed especially the ones that are parts of challenges that are due at the end of this month and or within a few months!  I'm really curious about the  Trapped Together challenge entry,  Underrated Character challenge entry, and Friendly Correspondence as far as your work goes even though many of them sound great to be honest!  I don't have any questions at the moment so  I'll just be sending you good luck, best wishes, and barrels of motivation and encouragement your way! I also hope you'll reach your word count goals!  You can do it! You got this! :D 

Ah hiya Anni! I love whenever you stop by in my novel nests/writer's journal threads, you're always such a light and joy! 💛 I'm actually done now with my Trapped Together challenge entry, which is great! It is significantly shorter than I thought it would be, but :shrugs:  It ended up being just under 3.4k words, so I'm going to have to adjust my other goals accordingly it seems 😅

Thank you for the lovely support and motivation!! :hug:

On 7/8/2020 at 11:18 AM, Ravenclaw_scientist said:

Hey Madi!

I hope you're enjoying Nano so far! I love the aesthetic you have going here. I have a few questions:

1. You seem to be juggling lot of projects, how do you get organised?

2. I'm so excited to see you're writing a Waitress fic! What inspired you to pic this universe? 

Maia :)

Maia, these are such great questions, thank you so much for asking them! 💙

1. I use a color-coded & formula'd spreadsheet (originally courtesy of @down-in-flames, tysm lovely!) that lets me keep track of everything I've written in a given day, especially if I work on a couple of different things in one day! This JulNo, I also have deadlines to meet for a couple of those projects, so those generally will come first before my other, non-deadlined projects. :) 

2. So I decided to give the soundtrack a listen back in like October or something (RIP, what is time?) and fell in love, then saw a bootleg and fell in love with the show MORE, and here we are. It's kind of a fix-it fic, but also kind of not? Mostly it's just my thoughts about a potential post-show life for Jenna, Lulu, and Dr. Pomatter and the rest of the crew. The music really does help move the mood/tone of the show along (some shows could use some help in this department, tbh) so I really just wanted to see if I could capture even a tiny bit of that essence in this fic. 🥧 

And now, for an update on Day 9! 

1. Trapped Together Challenge Entry - COMPLETED - 3,387 words! 

Total JulNo Word Count So Far: 3518 words 

Next up:

2. Underrated Character Challenge Entry - fic will be about Rabastan Lestrange (probably) so that's a new character for me to write completely, which should be fun and....challenging (i'm sorry)

17 hours ago, magemadi said:

fic will be about Rabastan Lestrange (probably) so that's a new character for me to write completely, which should be fun and....challenging (i'm sorry)

lol rip its been so long since i looked at the document that i didn't even remember the appropriate character 😂 

I'm going to try my hand at writing RODOLPHUS Lestrange, so if anyone has headcanons etc. about him, I will happily take them!

• 2 weeks later...

whoops hi friends it's obviously been a hot minute since i posted in here, but listen, the house cup finale just took up a lot of time and effort and i also wrote like 20 thousand words of reviews during the broom surfing event, so it's fine. :cartwheelbanana:

At any rate, I'm about 1600 words into my underrated character challenge entry and it's going well so far; i just need to go back and make the beginning a bit darker to more properly fit rodolphus's dark leanings as an adult that he, er, fully leans into. 

I also wrote 7 drabbles during the finale -- they're based around the seven deadly sins and are all about/from the POV of characters from The Witcher series so check it out here+

Otherwise, my current word count is 14.4k, which puts me ahead by about 100 words for today so I gotta stay on track!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa hey it's an update time! 

2. Underrated Character Challenge Entry - COMPLETED - 4362 words later! It's currently in the HPFT queue, but can also be found on AO3+ currently. 

JulNo word count: 17393

Next up: 3. Friendly Correspondence Chapters 3 & 4 

Edited by magemadi
  • Like 1

YA GIRL DID IT! 

:elmofire:

FINAL WORD COUNT: 20,046 WORDS

Also, I finished chapter 3 of Friendly Correspondence, so that's now in the queue after a very long time of not updating it! 

Overall, I think this was a pretty succesful NaNo, and I think my total word count if I included the reviews I wrote at full counts, it would be closer to 40k of words written, which is insane because I haven't gotten anywhere near that since NaNo of 2014 or 2015! 😱 

I'm really really happy with everything I got done this month, so let's just hope I can keep the productivity going next month!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

oh hey wow it's been a minute since I've posted in here, oops 😂 

From June to now I've posted just a few things to the archives:

• Trapped Together Challenge Entry
  • Seven Deadly Sins drabbles for the finale centered around The Witcher
  • Underrated Character Challenge Entry
  • ABC Drabbles/More Fred & George Challenge Entry
  • Chapter 3 of Friendly Correspondence
  • Updated Planetary Boundaries screenplay (edits only)
  • Part 1/3 of my Trans Women are Women Challenge Entry (it's late but shhhhh)

goals for now:

• finish twaw entry 
  • write spice up the archives challenge entry/entries
  • write ch 4 of friendly correspondence so i can mark that baby complete!
  • post edits of sybill trelawney short story to the archive, courtesy of beta-ing by @Professor McGonagall
  • figure something out for my bookshelf challenge entry

Hi Madi! Just popping in here to check out what you get up to writing wise. :D I'm really impressed by how quickly you can churn out content! I mean honestly, it takes me forever to just complete what I view to be "simple," fics that aren't novel length. Do you have any habits or writing rituals that help you write so many different things? (Sorry if that's a repeat question :S)

Your Friendly Correspondence story sounds so interesting! And while it seems like you've been working on it for a while, I'm excited to check it out. I love the idea of epistolary stories, and I think Hermione and Krum are probably a friendship or pairing that isn't often explored. I think my love of side/fringe characters is showing again.

Also, I see you are a fan of The Witcher. Admittedly, I only know it from the Netflix series, but I really enjoyed it! I also loved how the story lines converged. I'm a sucker for stuff like that in books too, so it's fun to see in a series. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2020 at 2:47 AM, prideofprewett said:

Hi Madi! Just popping in here to check out what you get up to writing wise. :D I'm really impressed by how quickly you can churn out content! I mean honestly, it takes me forever to just complete what I view to be "simple," fics that aren't novel length. Do you have any habits or writing rituals that help you write so many different things? (Sorry if that's a repeat question :S)

Your Friendly Correspondence story sounds so interesting! And while it seems like you've been working on it for a while, I'm excited to check it out. I love the idea of epistolary stories, and I think Hermione and Krum are probably a friendship or pairing that isn't often explored. I think my love of side/fringe characters is showing again.

Also, I see you are a fan of The Witcher. Admittedly, I only know it from the Netflix series, but I really enjoyed it! I also loved how the story lines converged. I'm a sucker for stuff like that in books too, so it's fun to see in a series. 

Hey there Courtney!! Thanks for stopping by :) 

Do I have any habits or writing rituals that help me write so many different things? No, it's just complete chaos 😂 Honestly, usually I'm only working on several projects at a time because I've stupidly joined several challenges and hate dropping out of them, so, this is how things turn out 😅 When I do have a lot of things going on though, I do try and work through them systematically, especially if the deadlines for things are mildly spread out. When it comes to longer-term/longer projects, I usually bounce back and forth on those a bit just to keep my muse fresh and so I don't get bogged down too much if a scene isn't working out. ^_^ 

I've really really enjoyed writing Friendly Correspondence!! It's one of my more firmly-set-in-canon fics out there, so it's been fun to dive into the timeline of OotP and pick the points I want to emphasize in Hermione's letters to Krum and then imagine what his responses are to them. I'm excited to see what you think of it -- I hope to have the final chapter out before the end of October if all goes well :D 

I am a recent fan of The Witcher too, honestly! I binged the whole show the day after New Year with my partner & his roommate & his roommate's fiancée and then bought all of the books during earlier lockdown times and blew through those as well. It's a really unique way of telling these three characters's stories, especially when you know everything will converge, so I'm very excited to see what happens in season 2 with the knowledge I have of later content they'll pull from. ⚔️

Thanks again for the questions & chatting! ❤️ 

• Like 1