Welcome to HPFT

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with roots in the Harry Potter fandom community. We strive to maintain a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in House Cup events, participate in writing challenges, play games, and much more!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

HPFT has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

HPFT is active on social media. You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • Check out the Prefect Blog for the results of the Springtime Writing Event!
  • Stop by the Wizarding Universiade sub-forum to mini-game your House to HC victory!
  • The Crazies' Café is open for JulNo!
Sign in to follow this  
Raspberry_cordelia

Other Wizarding Sports/Wizarding Sports Culture

Raspberry_cordelia

I know there's already a topic about Quidditch, but c'mon, Quadpot and Quidditch can't be the only magical sports out there.  After all, racing brooms existed, so I think it's pretty safe to say that broom racing existed in turn.  I'm not sporty or athletic at all, but I would love to hear all of your headcanons/ideas regarding other magical sports - I feel like there would be a lot of potential for some cool mechanics!  I also wonder about the sports culture surrounding Wizardkind.  Are there Quidditch/Quadpot/whatever sport summer camps when the kids aren't off at boarding school? 

Idk, I'm really not the best person to start this topic, but I love listening to people ramble about things they like, and a lot of you seem really passionate about sports so please, ramble away!

Also sidenote: the Wizarding Cirque du Soleil equivalent would be so cool.

• Like 1

pookha

International magical duelling. There would be traditional on a piste (or maybe a circle) with a single wand and an approved list of spells.

Also would be dual-wand dueling, and freeform, where mostly anything goes.

Broom racing: sprints, relays, marathons, and multi-day long distance races (like the cannonball run).

Most wizarding cultures would have their own games and sports, too. Magical boules for the French and Italian maybe. Magical beast riding for some cultures. Magical hunting sport analogs (capture the beast, etc.). 

• Like 2

Aphoride

Ahhhh I love this! :D I definitely think broom racing existed - and I think there's a mention somewhere in the extended 'verse of flying horse breeding, which means you could have like, all the horse-racing competitions and sports just with flying horses :P So like, polo (for the suuuuuper posh wizards), flat racing, dressage (maybe?), show jumping, etc. with both individual events and team events, like in rl. 

Also I think duelling would count as a sport - and we know that there are proper, serious duelling tournaments, with national rankings and competitions, because Flitwick is referenced as a duelling champion in CoS and if it's a fact people casually know then it must have been a decent-sized tournament, rather than just a friendly bout or something amateur, yk? If there's national competitions there's likely international ones, too, which would probably get super dangerous but super cool ^_^ Plus, you could have individual duelling competitions, plus team events and doubles duels and stuff :) 

• Like 2

grumpy cat
Posted (edited)

i think gnome throwing definitely counts as a sport.

racing hippogriffs.

riddle guessing tournaments where if you get the answer wrong, the sphinx eats you. only for the wittiest :elmofire:

Edited by grumpy cat
  • Like 2

tatapb
Posted (edited)

I love all of these and I'd like to point out (like the Slytherin I am) that wherever there are sanctioned, legal sports, there are... illegal, less morally clean ones.

So basically all of the above in illegal version, like anything pitting magical beasts against each other (what would win in a fight, a basilisk or a dragon);

Crazy scary broom racing through dragon infested swamps for our thrillseekers; 

Unsanctioned quidditch without a referee where anything goes, etc. etc.

Animated golem fighting;

Oooh, imperius fighting (where both contenders are imperiusing someone and fight them to the death);

Anything like throwing people into pits with scary beasts (*cough* goblet of fire I'm looking at you *cough*) and fighting them off in an arena style gladiator type thing.

Super scary capture the flag (or fine, the less lethal, not-so-scary version of that too) where teams of people duel to capture the other team's flag.

Avada Kedavra target practice (or fine, like, the less morally dark version where you shoot clay plates or whatever)

Hunting for sport too, like poachers going into dragon sanctuaries and killing dragons.

Edited by tatapb
  • Like 2

Raspberry_cordelia
2 hours ago, tatapb said:

Super scary capture the flag (or fine, the less lethal, not-so-scary version of that too) where teams of people duel to capture the other team's flag.

Ooh, I like that!  And also, this is not a sport, but there could be super scary laser tag too!

• Like 1

tatapb
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Raspberry_cordelia said:

Ooh, I like that!  And also, this is not a sport, but there could be super scary laser tag too!

I resent the premise that laser tag isn't a sport pfft. 

EDIT: OHHH IT COULD BE AMAZING like you'd cast a barrier charm around people and it'd take like three hits from a toy wand or whatever

Edited by tatapb
  • Like 2

pookha

Laser tag is a sport.

• Like 2

Raspberry_cordelia
6 minutes ago, pookha said:

Laser tag is a sport.

Yeah, you're right lmao!  I don't know why I said it wasn't in the first place (maybe because I'm actually ok at it and I suck at all other sports?)!

• Like 2

Margaret

If I ever finish my series (which, let's be honest, I won't), I had planned for Aingingein to be introduced to Hogwarts. According to the Lexicon, it's an Irish wizarding sport that involves hitting a...ball, I assume, through barrels that are on fire.

think I have a mention of it somewhere in the two years I have written as mostly just being played for fun in Ireland as the country's wizarding community isn't really large enough for its own leagues.

• Like 2

MuggleMaybe
18 hours ago, tatapb said:

Oooh, imperius fighting (where both contenders are imperiusing someone and fight them to the death);

this is immensely horrifying :ninja:

(i mean it probably would exist, i'm not arguing. but  Y I K E S)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Sign in to follow this