News Ticker

Battleship: Hogwarts

magemadi

6 hours ago, prideofprewett said:

Maybe I am still half asleep, but in the above scenario once all posts are checked, why may one house return fire three times and the other two? Like what determines that? And when is the house who can only return two hit attempts able to return a third? @MalfoysAngel @RonsGirlFriday 

Okay so in the following example:

11 hours ago, magemadi said:

Ravenclaw posts 1 hit attempt, then Hufflepuff posts 2 hit attempts; Ravenclaw posts 2 more hit attempts, and Hufflepuff posts 1 more hit attempt.

• Both Houses must now wait for Prefect confirmation on all 3 of their attempts before either can post again. 
  • After a Prefect has checked these 6 hit attempts, Hufflepuff can then only post 2 more hit attempts right away, but Ravenclaw can post 3 hit attempts right away after the previous ones were checked. 

What I mean by Hufflepuff only being able to post 2 more hit attempts right away vs Ravenclaw being able to do 3 is due to the volley situation. In other words, because Hufflepuff fired last and a Prefect just finished checking those hits, that's 1/3 of Hufflepuff's uninterrupted hit attempts they can make. So, if Hufflepuff posts first after the Prefect check is posted, then they can only post 2 more hit attempts to reach that 3/3 maximum of uninterrupted hit attempts. 

However, if Ravenclaw is the first to fire after a Prefect checks the previous hit attempts, since Hufflepuff was the last House to post, Ravenclaw's 3 hit attempt maximum reset from their previous hit and so they can fire 3/3 uninterrupted hit attempts if they so choose. 

In other words, when a volley of shots is occurring between the two Houses, each House may still only have a maximum of three (3) unchecked hit attempts before launching another, even if those 3 hit attempts aren't uninterrupted. 

I hope that clears things up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@magemadi I think I get it now, thank you explaining and sorry if you felt like you had to over explain it 😅

• Like 1

Hello everyone!

First things first -- your grid arrangements for Round 2 are due in approximately 22 hours! Get those submitted to the Prefects by 10 pm GMT/3 pm PDT September 11th, please. :) 

Secondly, the rules have been clarified in the main topic post for the 3 uninterrupted/unchecked hit attempts that were discussed in the thread previously to help with future confusion.

As you all completed the first round so quickly, the Prefects have decided to up the ante a bit and make your tasks for both hit attempts and sink attempts a teeny bit more challenging. ;) Furthermore, as you all absolutely went to great lengths to revive some older threads, we've replaced that task item with something new as there are few threads in need of reviving.

Here are the new requirements for the tasks, which have also been edited in the main post (changes are bolded blue😞

• Hits
    • post in two (2) writer's journal threads (300 character minimum in each thread)
    • post in one (1) Great Hall thread (400 character minimum)
    • post a recommendation in the Recommendations subforum (300 character "reason for recommending" minimum)
    • post on the walls of three (3) members you've never or rarely talked to (200 character minimum each) (replaces the thread revival task)
    • start a new forum thread (excluding Quidditch Pitch & Rat Races) (200 character minimum)
    • respond to five (5) reviews (must be more than a cursory "thanks!" and must mention it's for the event somewhere in the response)
  • Sinks
    • review three (3) stories/chapters from the opposing House on the HPFT archives (500 character minimum each)
    • write a blog post sorting yourself/your characters or a book review (400 word minimum)
    • write two (2) drabbles about anything you want (100 word minimum each)
    • make a picspam for a fic of someone from the opposing House

If anyone has questions regarding these changes, please tag a couple of Prefects and we'll do our best to answer as quickly as possible! ^_^ 

Edited by magemadi
  • Like 3

A quick question about posting in recommendations, does this include the whole topic, where there's talks of published book recommendations etc?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, victoria_anne said:

A quick question about posting in recommendations, does this include the whole topic, where there's talks of published book recommendations etc?

Yep! As long as the rec meets the character count minimums and is in the appropriate thread, then anything in the recommendations subform counts!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• post a recommendation in the Recommendations subforum (300 character "reason for recommending" minimum)

thats each recommendation not per post correct?

4 minutes ago, maraudertimes said:

thats each recommendation not per post correct?

Yep it is 300 characters per recommendation! If you do post multiple recommendations in one post though, please denote which one you are referring to when submitting a hit attempt. :) 

• post in two (2) writer's journal threads (300 character minimum in each thread)

theoretically, could i post in my own for one of these? :P 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, maraudertimes said:

theoretically, could i post in my own for one of these? :P 

Yep! Any writer's journal is fine, including your own ^_^ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@magemadi @RonsGirlFriday Just for clarification--how much of a time gap should there be between when you post in a thread and when  you take a shot? I was under the impression that we weren't allowed to make a bunch of posts and then sit on them until we want to take our shots/sink an item.

i wasn't under that impression? i'm going off to work and wanted to post some quick stuff for the others in my team to post as they see fit (since this is...teamwork)

Edited by pirate grumpy cat
  • Like 1

I"m pretty sure that this was said a few times last round. But we'll wait for the Prefects to clarify.

that would be quite unfair to  people with limited availability to strategise while they can post stuff to be used, whether for sinks or hits.

I think that the purpose of only allowing 3 shots at a time was to account for that. But again, I'm sure the Prefects will clarify. We were told in our common room thread that we weren't allowed to pre-post stuff.

i didn't prepost stuff? i did these just this morning between getting back home and going off to work so.

@la_topolina and @pirate grumpy cat The "pre-posting" comment mentioned earlier in this thread is in relation to logging up a bunch of posts/review responses/etc BEFORE a new round starts, not during a round. 

Kris is fine to do some posting now and share those posts with her teammates so they can post them later -- that's been done & allowed in previous events, and is allowable here too as not everyone is in the same time zone or has the time/capabilities in the moment necessarily to both do a task and properly post said task in the event thread. 

Apologies for any confusion on that on my part!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the clarification @magemadi

• Like 1

Tagging an actively participating member of each house for notifying purposes: @la_topolina @pirate grumpy cat @victoria_anne @kuusi palaa

We Prefects realized the earlier clarification may have since caused more confusion than there was initially, so here is our final stance to clear up this issue about task prep!

An update to my previous clarification on "stacking" tasks: 

• Houses may NOT pre-prepare ANY tasks BEFORE gameplay rounds start
  • Houses may pre-pare a maximum of 10 'future' HIT tasks DURING gameplay rounds
    • 'Future' tasks are defined as any hit attempt tasks being completed by House members that don't get posted to the gameplay thread for hit attempts within 3 hours of when the task was done.
      • This will allow members in different time zones to still be able to participate and contribute, considering the fact that sometimes a House is not allowed to move for 3 hours while waiting for their opponent. 
    • Keeping track of these 10 tasks will be on the honor system as the Prefects simply do not have capacity to do this on top of regular site duties and running the event so far. Please be honest and honorable about how many tasks you've got on hold when making hit attempts (Prefects don't need to be told, just make sure you're keeping track properly)!
  • Houses may NOT pre-prepare sink tasks at any time!

If there are still questions or concerns, please tag a couple of us! (As it's after midnight in the Pacific, it may be some hours before Prefects will be awake to answer any questions.)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, hotel california said:

@magemadi @RonsGirlFriday hi! can we still count a saved hit or sink attempt if they were done before this announcement, since it wasn't against the rules pre-clarification? we're really only concerned about a couple of them, tbh

You may count saved hit attempt tasks but NO saved sink attempt tasks may be counted. 

• Thanks 1

Boo to this clarification. It is akin to changeing the rules in the middle of a game. We were told several times that NO pre preparation was allowed. This round should hqve been played under that understanding and any changes/clarifications applied to the next round.

This had been a fair game in balancing house size with the three shots rule, but pre preparation being allowed now gives a huge advantage again to a larger house. 

2 hours ago, pookha said:

Boo to this clarification. It is akin to changeing the rules in the middle of a game. We were told several times that NO pre preparation was allowed. This round should hqve been played under that understanding and any changes/clarifications applied to the next round.

This had been a fair game in balancing house size with the three shots rule, but pre preparation being allowed now gives a huge advantage again to a larger house. 

First of all, I want to apologize for dropping this a) in the middle of the night and b) in the middle of gameplay day 1. I would like to clarify a couple of things (some that were said in the discord):

• pre-stacking was never in the original rules and had not been “deleted” ever — I only ever posted “no pre-stacking” as it relates to not doing it before a round starts, and did so at the end of Round 1. 
  • Slytherin asked a question related to this last round that was communicated directly to them but not to the other houses, which is on me for not using my brain to share our response with the other houses. 
    • this question/answer about pre-stacking “hits” was then never posted/updated into the rules. (again, on me for not communicating) 
  • due to that and then the question last night, trying to find a middle ground to hit because of that uneven communication to the houses, Melanie and I landed on the post from last night with the 10 'future' tasks being allowed. 
  • I know it’s in the middle of day 1 of gameplay and I apologize for that. However, things come up sometimes (like us forgetting to address it to the other houses earlier) so sometimes stuff has to change on the fly. 
  • again, sorry to anyone who is hurt/annoyed/frustrated by the change, it was 0% my intention to do so.
  • Furthermore, each House has been extremely equal in it's # of players -- everyone's had at least 3 players and no one's had no more than 4 players during Battleship, so from a numbers standpoint, just because a House is "bigger" than others in terms of sheer numbers, that's absolutely not the case for this event. 

For the rest of this event, if a question comes up late in the night for us Pacific Time Zone Prefects, we will do our best to give a tentative answer and will then wait for our Eastern Time Zone Prefects to wake up and decide on a finalized answer

Also, a quick thing for everyone - please DO NOT delete & repost reviews meant for this event! A gentle reminder that if you're needing to review something from another House but you've already reviewed (everything) from a member/House, you are allowed to re-review a story/chapter. Just don't re-review it a bunch of times -- one re-review per person on a story/chapter (one-shot vs multichapter) is allowed. 

• Like 3

There were posts on the discord under the slytherin chat that have been deleted. They may not have been in the rules and deleted here, but they are definitely gone from the slytherin chat channel on the discord.

@magemadi @RonsGirlFriday

Do I understand correctly that any house member may use one of the 10 "future" shots, whether or not they made the posts to create the shots?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, la_topolina said:

@magemadi @RonsGirlFriday

Do I understand correctly that any house member may use one of the 10 "future" shots, whether or not they made the posts to create the shots?

Yes! This event is meant to be team-oriented -- as long as it's communicated to others playing from your House so there's no accidental double-usage, (and I assume most of y'all are using a spreadsheet to keep track of things) then people can post multiple hits using other people's tasks :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1