Welcome to FanficTalk

We are a multi-fandom/original fiction community with a strong focus on author feedback and inclusive writing. Here on the forums, you can join a house and participate in events, challenges, discussions, and review swaps - or even just play games!

Join the Forums

Check out the Archives

FanficTalk has a moderated multi-fandom/original fiction archive with an unlimited queue. There you can post your writing, as well as read and review other members' writing. Be sure to stop by and check out our latest featured stories!

Join the Archives

Find us on Social Media

You can find us and many members busily tweeting on Twitter, join us for livestreams on YouTube, check out aesthetics on Instagram, get sneak peeks on Snapchat, and interact on Tumblr! All our social media links can be found below.

News Ticker
  • we're very excited to announce our new name: fanfictalk!
  • welcome to the new house cup year!
  • jump into the prefects' game of battleship!
prideofprewett

Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries

prideofprewett

I feel like all my love for historical drama/murder mystery is beginning to show. Anyone see Miss Fisher’s Murder Mysteries before? The series was based off of Kerry Greenwood’s novels and broadcast in Australia on ABC. It was on Netlfix for a time as well but has since disappeared.

Basically it is set in 1920s Melbourne and follows the adventures of The Honorable Phryne Fisher, who is an independent lady detective with a flair for fashion and the finer things while solving crime and seeking justice. She employs a fearful, yet trusty lady sidekick named Dot to help her along as she butts heads with the head of the police force, Inspector Jack Robinson. It’s full of good crime, drama (slightly procedural) and also features a storyline into the characters lives that goes beyond the crimes they solve.

If anyone has seen it:

Any favorite characters? 

Favorite episode?

Love/hate the direction they went with Phryne/Jack’s relationship?

Anyone also read the books? If so, how do you feel they compare to the series?

• Like 2

kuusi palaa

Did someone say Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries?

giphy.gif

I absolutely ADORE this show so much. It's the classic murder mystery story meets feminism meets delectable fashion. The chemistry between Phryne and Inspector Jack Robinson jumps off the screen, those two are the perfect slow burn, HONESTLY.

1 hour ago, prideofprewett said:

Any favorite characters? 

Phryne, obviously. lol. But I also adore her warn, Janey, who I wish had a bigger role in the show. There would be so many cool plots to explore with her! And I love Mr. Butler's devotion to Miss Fisher, balancing keeping decorum while also embracing Phryne's progressive ways. ;) Aunt Prudence is also a fave--you love to hate her a little bit due to her adamant attempts to enforce the patriarchy and societal graces.  And Mac is pure brilliance!!! I love how they portray an intelligent woman in the sciences during this time.

Favorite episode?

This is tough... I enjoy the "Murder under the Mistletoe" episode, since it has a bunch of guest stars and all the series regulars are together! 

Love/hate the direction they went with Phryne/Jack’s relationship?

I love the Phryne/Jack pairing within the context of the show--they have such brilliant chemistry and a good back and forth. The "will they, won't they" is expertly woven into such a solid working relationship, too. I think their ship is fun to watch and to root for--even though the show ended with things up in the air (literally, lol), I also feel like their back and forth relationship works well (enough steam to keep us going but also lots of room for interpretation) within the scope of the 3 seasons.

Anyone also read the books? If so, how do you feel they compare to the series?

I haven't read the books yet! I would love to, one day. ❤️ 

• Like 1

Recent Badges

prideofprewett

@Raspberry_cordelia Jane was such a sweet girl and I love the dynamic her and Phryne had! And omg Mr. Butler was amazing as was Aunt P! Still one of my all time favorite scenes where Aunt P’s all “Phryne where are you going?!” And she pulls out her gun and is like “to solve a case,” or something...I can’t remember the actually line, but the nonchalance of this is totally normal from Phryne to the utterly scandalized Aunt P is just priceless.

I also really loved Dot. She had such tremendous character growth throughout the series. From starting out as a nervous little bean afraid of answering the phone to basically being Phryne’s right hand gal. I love how Phryne always supported her too and wanted for her what she wanted for herself (ie marrying Hugh). Super rad feminism all throughout! 

And yay for loving them as a couple! I wasn’t sure what the overall opinions were on that, but I feel the same that you do. Did you know they made like a film that came in Feb of this year? I haven’t seen it yet because it might have only been released in Australia. It was called Crypt of Tears, I think.