Peonies on Tuesday by RonsGirlFriday

8 Reviews · 4 likes · Table of Contents · Printer

- Text Size +

I’m sorry… I dropped the flowers.


I picked them just a few minutes ago, right over there, at the edge of the grass. I was going to give them to you.


There was a spider hiding in them. It crawled across my hand, and I dropped them. Now, don’t you laugh at me, too! Eddie laughed at me and called me a sissy. Eddie isn’t very nice.


No, don’t worry, it didn’t bite me.


Can I sit here? Can I sit next to you? I know Daisy usually sits next to you. Is she sick? Well, she won’t mind, will she? Good.


You’re awful pretty. No, I mean it. You’re the prettiest girl I’ve ever seen.


Let’s go somewhere sometime. I don’t know -- the fair, the movies -- I don’t care. Do you think they’d let us?


Hey, how’d you like to get married? Why, are you married already? Well, then, why not?


Is it because of the flowers? I can bring you some more tomorrow. Maybe you’ll change your mind.


What’s your name again?


Hi, Annie. I’m Ben.




I’m sorry… I forgot the flowers. I was going to bring you flowers. Just like I do every Tuesday. They were right there on my night stand, and I forgot them. I forgot my hat, too. I’m forgetting a lot of things lately.


What do you mean? I’m Ben. You know me. Ben. We have lunch together every Tuesday. Last week we took a walk in the yard and you told me all about growing up in Albuquerque. Or was it Arkansas?


Well, do you mind if I sit here anyway?


You’d remember if I’d brought the flowers. I got your favorite -- peonies. Or primrose. Oh, poppies? That’s right, they were poppies.


You’re very pretty today. That’s a nice hat. I forgot my hat.


Say, how’d you like to get married?


What? But you told me you weren’t married. Now, why would you say a thing like that if you -- 


Oh.


Oh. Well, I’m sorry to hear that. When did he pass?


Ah, he was a Navy man? What was his name? Maybe I knew him.


You know, I think I did know a Nick Fisher. Or was that Foster? No, no, it was Fitzpatrick. Nick Fitzpatrick. We lost him in Japan.


Do you have any children?


No, my daughter doesn’t visit me much either. She’s a nurse, my Laura. Three boys of her own. And they’re all grown up now, so they don’t have much time for me either.


My Laura has eyes just like me. That was the first thing they told me when she was born. ‘Big blue eyes, Ben, just like yours.’


I’m sure she’ll visit you soon. Don’t be sad.


Say, Annie, can I hold your hand?


It’s Ben. Ben Tucker.


Don’t worry. I forget things too, sometimes.




I’m sorry… I dropped the flowers. Those damn spiders. How do ya like that? It didn’t bite me, if you’re wondering.


I dropped them right over there. I’m sorry, I was too scared to pick them up again. Don’t laugh at me.


They were your favorite -- peonies, right?


Is it all right if I visit you like this? I don’t know when I’ll be able to come again. Can I just sit here for a while?


They moved a new person into your room. Her name is Alice. She’s not very friendly. And not nearly as pretty as you.


I eat lunch with John now. His grandson visits a lot. Jamie. Jamie’s a nice boy. He plays basketball. I think my grandson Ryan plays basketball. Or maybe baseball. It’s been so long, I can’t remember. He hasn’t been by in a while.


Your daughter visited you today, Annie. Her name is Betty, right? Or Bonnie? Well, I could tell she was your daughter anyway. Big brown eyes like yours. She’s a lovely girl. I passed her as I got here, and she was just leaving. She left you some flowers… a damn sight nicer than the ones I brought.


I hope you’re not lonely anymore, Annie. And I’m sorry about the flowers. But I guess you have Nick for that now, eh?

 

He’s a lucky man, that Nick Foster.

 

The End.


This story is part of the series, Sitewide Stories of the Month. The previous story in the series is Notes From the Ravenclaw Bulletin Board.
This story is part of the series, Ravenclaw Nargles Winners. The previous story in the series is Irrational. The next story in the series is Imperium.